Wolves (Love in the Sky)

by zalarus

we're nothing but dancers on a cloud of cigarette smoke
drifting here and there, swaying with the wind and twirling
to the music of the priests in the temple of
Ra, who sees and knows all and
that is sometimes terrifying to me, because he
will leave me broken and crying with doubt and
painless glorious words that come forth
from my very fingers onto an unreal page
in an unreal world, where the dogs will bite and scream with
ecstatic joy and fear and trembling starry eyes
that shine forth with a blinding fury.

sometimes i chant to calm myself, but the wretchedness
of the simulacra will leave me fucked and lost with the wolves
circling me, barely at bay
no mercy no mercy they cry,
condemned to eternal & wrong suffering at the hands of
some unknown master,
the puppet-master as some call him
thou art god, thou art god
if i am god and you are god then we are all god together
on this empty & barren planet
discussing false realities and hopes and dreams.

there is no bread or water inside the gates of Eden,
full of scared children weeping over dead parents,
but i'll keep riding this horse until it kicks me off
and i'll keep stealing and blowing smoke and full of pride,
i will leave with a smile on my face, laughing at the
absurdity of living entirely humble and meek.

with a heathen's hope i search in my own head
for something resembling the lost & ancient Ma
the primeval land that i once settled in and made my treacherous way
down from the mountain top
where vultures and masonic rites assaulted me
with a vigor and obsessive struggle that i knew not of
before the coming of Spiritus Mundi
in a blazing-passionate kiss.

i watched the cities burn burn burn
and saw the watchmen at their posts
reading the Ramayana by the light of a world in chaos
a world in which i can't eat a sandwich without being accosted
by some manic street preacher telling me
of the coming of the Lord
and i wish to God that he would come again
but it's a foolish hope, and i won't
cry about it ever again

and i'm happy to speak with you, my lady dearest
each and every time
pushing me back to the walls of Lanka itself
pushing me forward into a frightening future
yet i continue to have faith
and i continue to love

Dallas Tillman wrote a review...

Gold star, fellow writer. Though it is what you say (rambling), it was worth reading the entire way through. The uniformed writing, not capitalized unless absolutely necessary, was great, allowing those words that were capitalized to become more emphasized. Excellent use of imagery, as well.

However, you do need to work on deciding where some lines end and others begin. Find out where you feel one must pause before switching lines, as points in this seemed like I didn't have to pause until the middle of the following line, which disrupted the flow.

One other thing: some words I have no idea what the meaning is, or to whom it is referring to. Examples: Lanka, Ramayana. If you could define these, even if it is just an end note, it would make the poem easier to understand.

P.S.: no '&'. Just write the word out.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:51 pm
AlyssaKyle wrote a review...

I like what you did here. I just have some small nit picky things to comment on. Your first few stanzas were a bit lengthier, but then they got shorter. Try to keep stanza length consistant if you can. Personally, I was slightly thrown off by the lack of punctuation in some places. I am all about the author formatting their poem the way they want to, but it was a bit difficult to find a flow because I don't know what you intended it to sound like. Just like the first review, I think you have some very powerful imagery there. Nice job.

zalarus says...

hmm. well, first of all, thanks for the comment. i'm glad you bothered with something on this level. i've had more inspired moments than this. this really just didn't...flow, you know? it's difficult to explain. i think that moksha was a better poem. but you're absolutely right about this poem. the first stanza was far too forced, and i think that the whole thing in general was a bit too rambling. i was going for the "long lines" but i think i just came off as a madman :P. i can assure you though, i'm sort of sane. it's a tenuous sort of sanity, but it'll do for now. and i think the use of the ampersand is good sometimes, but it wasn't very good here. it just stood out like a sore thumb.

Juniper wrote a review...

Hey there Zalarus! June here!

There's not much to say about this piece other than how good it was. I really enjoyed it from start to finish.

Compared to the other stanzas, the first stanza feels a bit wordy at some points. I do like the imagery you're using in it, but it feels a bit over done in some spots. Take a bit of it out if you can, dear, so that you're not carrying deadwood.

I love the lack of punctuation (I know you used some commas in there, but still :)) and the lack of the capitalization of your I's. The pronoun should be capitalized, but I like it uncapitalized here. It's giving more power to the words that are capitalized, dear.

The only thing I did not like here was the usage of the and symbol (&). I think it's better to write the word out, dear.

(Anyway, I'll stop my nonsensical rambling)

It was well written, the message was clear-- overall an extremely enjoyable poem, dear. Keep it up!

June

(Gold star)

We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer