z

Young Writers Society



Sword Fight

by yubbies21


A smile came to my lips as I circled the tall man. A scar ran from his right eye down to his chin. My sword was drawn and I was ready.

He lunged with a fierce roar and tried to stab me. I blocked his strike, ducking behind my shield. It was my turn to stab at his exposed throat as he again lunged. He detected the slightest moves in my posture and brought up his sword to block what would have been a fatal blow.

We were at it, hammer and tongs. The man’s scar rippled with a frown and he stood back for a second, as if to catch his breath. I didn’t give him that chance as I leapt forward and thrust my sword towards his left calf. I sliced through his skin and he howled and writhed in pain. His scar frowned even deeper.

Hot blood began to form a puddle around the man’s feet. We swung our swords forward and they met in the air with an eerie clang. He shoved me away and thrust his blade forward, towards my neck. He held his sword there, against my neck, slowly adding pressure. His blade slowly pierced my skin, drawing blood.

“This, girl,” he snarled, “is what you get for trying to kill me.” I rapidly raised my arm towards his shoulder, striking it hard. This threw him off balance and removed the blade from my neck. I thrust my sword down towards his stomach, shoving it down through the thin cracks in his armor, piercing his skin. His face was grotesque as he fell to the ground. Blood poured from the cracks in his armor. He went limp and his eyes slowly closed. I growled menacingly. I lifted my blade and swung it down, slicing off his head.

Turning away from the bloody scene, I began to cautiously step into the forest, leaving the corpse to the scavengers which began to descend.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 7061
Reviews: 277

Donate
Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:57 am
Master_Yoda wrote a review...



Hey Yubbies and Louis,

This is really a review of Louis' review, Yubbies, but feel free to listen in, as it pertains to you too. So, Louis, here is your requested Review-review.

In my opinion Louis, you need to work out what you want to have accomplished after a review. Your review is extremely detailed, focusing on the minutiae of the story rather than discussing ideas.

I'm a big believer in the idea that your reviews should help you even more than the author you are reviewing. At the same time, I believe that your reviews should help the author grow as much as possible, helping them improve their skill as well as their story. Your review helps neither you nor the author grow in your craft.

Aside from that, I disagree with your assessment of the fight scene. Okay, you're right that you wouldn't block a lunge, and that after cutting someone's neck they'd be dead, but you're wrong about what makes a good fight scene. You don't need to specify whether a sword is a rapier or a foil or a sabre or a katana to make the fight scene a good one.

Good fight scenes require a few things:
1) Emotional investment in the characters involved in the fight.
2) Stake. The fight must always make a larger difference in the grander scheme of things. There always needs to be something worth fighting for.
3) Emotional response from the point of view character.
4) Short quick sentences to imply a sense of speed and push the reader forward.

Action verbs also can help convey motion and some quick details to tie the reader to the story can also help make the scene feel alive, but get too bogged down on describing the guns and you end up with a slow ugly descriptive fight scene. Hardly what you want.

My own review would have been a discussion of how to best create and maintain a sense of urgency, and I might have delved into a short discussion of pacing if I had the time. Verbalizing these concepts through discussion enables you to internalize them.

Of course, your review does not need to be like mine. It should however be something that gives the writer something to think about that they can use in their future writing. If you want to mention things like inconsistencies between real sword fighting and the sword fight portrayed in the piece, you can simply tell the writer to do some research. If they need help with that they'll reach out to you, but it's not your job to write their story.

They're the author after all.

Reviews are about food for thought. They are about giving a reader the feedback needed to improve their craft. Of course mentioning inconsistencies is helpful, but there's no reason to waste yours or the writers time dissecting them in gory detail.

Hope this helped,
Yoda




User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 684
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 pm
Skyy wrote a review...



Hey yubbies.

I think this is a good description of a battle fighting scene, it can be quite hard to get an accurate account of everything that goes on in a fight like this, but you've done it well. The description is adequate for the purpose and sets the imagery well.

Now I read A LOT of fantasy and medieval books (Inheritance cycle, Bernard Cornwall etc) and I've read this kind of thing so many times. What I would say for in the future if you plan to do another one of these is to add a twist, do the unexpected, something weird and original. This is a very cliché scene, a kind that are in so many different movies that it's now bog standard.

But that being said it is still a good piece of writing. Just try to mix it up a bit! Location, weapons, context, that kind of thing :)

-Skyy




User avatar
289 Reviews


Points: 30323
Reviews: 289

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:14 am
Caesar wrote a review...



Hey yubbies! Ita, or Louis now, here to review!

Firstly, this wasn't bad. There were no grammatical errors as far as I could spot them. And I do love me some good ol' swordfights, so you're in luck!

Alright, so, as I said, this isn't bad, however, it's not as good as it could be due to some lack of detail. I'm also treating this piece as just that, a sword fight, and not a novel in a chapter.

A smile came to my lips as I circled the tall man. A scar ran from his right eye down to his chin. My sword was drawn and I was ready.


Alright, the sentences are nice and short, that's good. However, I would have liked more, or a different description, of the man in question. In combat, it's not important to know if your opponent has a scar or not. What's important, to the readers and your character, is estimating how tall the opponent is, physical build and how he moves on his feet. All crucial elements to a fight. Furthermore, it's not enough to just say your character's sword was drawn. We need to know in what position (mid, high, low, left, right etc) and preferably, what type of sword. There's a marked difference between say, a katana and an irish claymore when it comes to fighting style. How your character feels the sword in her hand, it's weight, and so forth, is also important. All this adds to a marked sense of realism that makes fight scenes so thrilling.

He lunged with a fierce roar and tried to stab me. I blocked his strike, ducking behind my shield.


Again, not enough. The same said above applies to this character as well. The readers need to know what type of sword he's using, how his feet are moving, and above all where he's stabbing from. High (direction) to low or mid (direction)? It's very important, as it gives the battle a realistic feel. Now as for the block. It would also be useful to know what type of shield it is, namely what it's made of. If it's say, leather and wood, a stab will probably splinter it and cause a heavy and painful jolt in the other character's arm. Providing, that is, the aforesaid sword is a stabbing sword, like a falchion or rapier, and not a slashing sword like a greatsword.

It was my turn to stab at his exposed throat as he again lunged.


Again, this lacks detail. In a written fight scene, detail is important. What kind of lunge is it? And, your character, by stabbing at his throat, is setting a situation which would result in both being severely wounded. I would like to take this opportunity to point out that not all swords are designed for stabbing, but since these two are favoring this technique, that affects the whole combat now doesn't it? Unfortunately I can't make this statement because this lacks detail.

He detected the slightest moves in my posture and brought up his sword to block what would have been a fatal blow.


I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing this. The character brings up his sword to block as he's lunging? That makes no sense in the bound of human physics, and it renders the remaining text void. However, I shall continue overlooking this flaw for the sake of future improvement.

(...) as I leapt forward and thrust my sword towards his left calf (...)


Again, not seeing this. Even if he has managed to disengage, he should be holding his sword in a guard position (what guard I couldn't say) and thus have easily parried. Unless he's like Kliff in GuiltyGear Arcade, ahaha. Furthermore, he should (and is) wearing armor (what kind I couldn't say) and as such would have some degree of protection, especially if it's plate armor. Furthermore, stabbing to the calf is not recommended, as it unbalances the character in descent, a more viable chink would be the groin-thigh area. And, I will repeat, not all swords are good for stabbing, like say, your average High-Medieval knight blade. Furthermore, your character is a girl, and (usually) girls (women, age wasn't specified) are weaker than men physically, but more flexible. Which means, she'd be wielding a lighter-end sword, not capable of powerful crushing blows like the one knights used to crack armor (incidentally they used maces or axes for this, swords couldn't penetrate plate armor). Stabbing would be an idea in this case. But I doubt all this went through your head at any point in time.

We swung our swords forward and they met in the air with an eerie clang. He shoved me away and thrust his blade forward, towards my neck


Alright, swords clashing in the air would cause impact, which would unbalance both characters, though this is slightly less important. What is important is the act of shoving. You never stated they were close together, so a shove would just send him flailing to the ground awkwardly.

He held his sword there, against my neck, slowly adding pressure. His blade slowly pierced my skin, drawing blood


Whaaaa? This'd kill her, period. No arguments, just bam, death. There's no obstacle preventing the sword.

I rapidly raised my arm towards his shoulder, striking it hard


Ignoring the fact she's dead by now, striking an armored shoulder would dislocate her wrist instantaneously.

So yeah, in short, this fight scene is improbable and would result with a vastly different outcome. But you can improve!

Hope this helped
~Ita




User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 5211
Reviews: 184

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:09 am
veeren wrote a review...



Hello again Yubbies!

I'm guessing you tried your hand at a descriptive piece here. I'd say you did pretty well. While you definitely could've done a better job with your details, you explained enough for me to paint a picture in my my mind.
Although your first paragraph seems a bit mixed up, filled with random sentences. However I think that can easily be fixed.

What you do need to work on, however, is you grammar.
In the second paragraph you say;

Spoiler! :
...my turn to stab at his exposed throat as he again lunged.


It should be 'as he lunged again.'. Also, the sentence after this seems pretty awkward when you read it, and kind of makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about, which is terrible when it comes to writing.

That really happens throughout the story and from this example you should be able to figure out what else is wrong with the piece.
While you did a great job at painting a picture in my head, you didn't really make it seem believable. If you could fix these two problems, your work would be great.
Keep on writing :D




User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 1014
Reviews: 39

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:48 am
Smilykid wrote a review...



Hi Yubbies21!

I like this little story, I really do. It's very descriptive and paints a vivid image in the reader's mind. However, it doesn't over-describe, which is a good thing because it's a battle scene.
Let's begin!

"A smile came to my lips as I circled the tall man. A scar ran from his right eye down to his chin. My sword was drawn and I was ready."

It starts out well, immediately plunging the reader into the story. The description of the man being tall and the garish scar he has gives him a barbaric nature. However, instead of continuing to describe him, it jumps to "My sword was drawn and I was ready." This line is fine, but I feel it would be better to continue describing your opponent and then use this line.

"We were at it, hammer and tongs."

I just like this line.


"Turning away from the bloody scene, I began to cautiously step into the forest, leaving the corpse to the scavengers which began to descend."

The last bit of criticism I have is to expand on the ending. After the man's death it ends rather abruptly. Perhaps you should explain the feelings of savagery that were going through the character at this moment and why it was so important for her to kill this man.

Other than those things, this is a gripping, very well-written piece. Great job and keep writing!




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 253
Reviews: 33

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:46 am
CaptainFinick wrote a review...



So I'm gonna review.
I think I'll say, most importantly, I was drawn to this piece of work because of the title.
Oh, would you look at that: this was written yesterday.
Well then looks like I'm reviewing something fresh of the printing press. Well not literally off the printing press...
I'm sure you know what I mean.
Anyway I'll stop babbling and review.

You've used very good vocabulary. Vocabulary is important!
The way you wrote it kept me interested, well done there.

Although rather than saying "I sliced through his skin and he howled and writhed in pain"
You could have said: "I sliced through his skin, causing him to howl and writhe in pain"
Or perhaps that's me just being picky...

You used paragraphs well. That's always a good thing to do because long, big chunks of text tend to make a person turn away from your work.

"He detected the slightest moves in my posture..."
Should really be
"He detected a slight movement in my posture..."
or maybe
"He detected the slightest movement in my posture..."
etc
But I'm sure that you get the idea.

Well done and keep writing.





Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson