In the Arms of a Warlock- Chapter Nine

by youngwolf1105

I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t leave him up there all alone! I couldn’t leave the two men I loved most up there to what could possibly be their death! So I ran to the entrance way and started for the elevator. Then I thought, wouldn’t it be obvious that I’d be lazy and come up the elevator? But they were 295 feet up in the air! So I took the second patch from the little belt I’d been wearing. Then I realized, I didn’t know were Callie was! I couldn’t even see her! Oh my, I thought. But I grabbed the pouch anyways and stuck the smallest amount on the tip of my finger and brushed it off on my right shoe. Desantheo said that whatever hand I write with, use that one to apply it to my right foot. His magick works weird, I thought.

I flew all the way to the top where we’d been before the triplets had interrupted us. Being invisible let me go through doors, so I silently crept through the door. It was dark, except for the moonlight streaming through the windows. But there was nothing there. Then the thought occurred to me, I’ve got to get out of here! But when I turned to leave, water was splashed all over me, turning me back to visible and on my feet. I was trapped. Well, that was my first thought. Then I saw that it was only Yasir. I hugged him tight before looking around. But I was shocked at what I’d found. Desantheo was there, lying on the ground, in a pool of blood. I ran to him and knelt beside him in the pool of blood. I didn’t care that I was getting his blood all over my 7 For All Mankind jeans. I couldn’t let him die.

“Desantheo! Talk to me!” I scream. I can hear another splash of water and hear Callie drop to the floor. I suppose that she’d had the same idea as me. I heard a gasp, and then her crying. But then, all of the sudden a flash of lightening hit Desantheo and sent me flying across the room. I hit my head on the stone wall and cried out in pain. I could feel the blood on the back of my head trickle down my neck. Then, once I’d opened my eyes, my sight was filled with an unnatural black light, throbbing throughout the room. It was such a strange beat. Constant and steady. Then I realized what it was. It was a heartbeat. But not just any heart beat, but Desantheo’s.

“What’s going on?” I asked out loud, not sure if I’d get an answer. But one person did answer my question.

“I’m being reborn, into a new creature.” Desantheo said through obvious pain. I didn’t ask any more questions, knowing I’d get my answers soon enough. Then, with a scream of pain so loud and gut-wrenching, everything stopped. I heard a loud thud and a moan of agony. I tried to find him in the dark room, but I couldn’t see. It was almost as if I was blind. And before I could stand or get my eyesight back, someone picked me up in their arms. That’s when I finally won my eyesight back. I looked up into Desantheo’s face, not looking at anything else. Then I heard a gasp and someone saying a country, “Oh my!” Then I finally looked around, looking for something strange. Then his wings unfurled to block out the rest of the world. And yes, I said wings. No longer was he bloody or dirty. He truly was a new creature. But there was something strange about his wings. They were black. Blacker than the night surrounding us. And his eyes had changed as well. Instead of the beautiful blue iris’s I’d fallen in love with, they were red. As red as the blood that flowed through my veins. That’s when my fear started to sit in. His appearances had changed, had he? I hadn’t cared that he looked different; I still loved every bit of him. Even the new extension of him.

“Desantheo? Are you alright?” I asked, looking into those blood red eyes.

“A little ruffled, but fine.” He said with an affectionate tone to his voice as he gazed deeply into my eyes. I had to admit, the eyes weren’t so bad. But I would miss those blue eyes.

“So, what are you?” I asked a little hesitantly. He just smiled and chuckled.

“He’s an angel, my dear.” I heard my father say. I jumped out Desantheo’s arms and ran to him. He was standing not far from Desantheo, so when I fell into his arms, he caught me easily. He felt a little weak as well, but strong enough to hold me.

“What does it mean, though?” I asked, still a little wobbly.

“It means he’s fully changed into an immortal!” I heard Yasir say with a little yippee.

“Wait, then wouldn’t you be one? I’ve never been told how you were made immortal.” I said, turning to face Yasir.

“I’m a different kind of immortal. That won’t happen to me.” He replied a little sadly. Callie patted him on his back a little with a smile that was filled with love.

“And you’re lucky it won’t. It’s the most painful thing any soul could imagine. It’s so painful that it is not even possible to wrap your mind around it.” Desantheo said, looking straight into Yasir’s eyes. He shrunk back into Callie like a cowered pup. I walked back to Desantheo and softly stroked one of his magnificent black wings. It shivered along with his entire body. It took all of my will power to keep from jumping every time it moved. Desantheo saw my struggle and opened his arms wide, obviously an invitation. Without hesitation I walked into them and held him tight in my arms. He ran his fingers through my knotted hair and kissed me fiercely. I grabbed a hold of his hair and kissed him back just as fiercely, showing that I wasn’t afraid of him. And we stood there, kissing each other. I was just so glad he was alive and mine. But then something occurred to me. What had happened to the triplets? So I pulled away from his kiss and looked up into his eyes.

“What happened to the triplets?” I asked, confused. Why would they leave without first seeking me out and killing me?

“They’re gone. They won’t be bothering us again.” He said with a look of hatred in his eyes.

“How?”

“Because, they’ll be prosecuted for doing this to me. It’s against the law of all immortals everywhere. You cannot make another immortal without consent of the High Council of the Goddess and the High Council of the God. And she didn’t. So now they’ll seek me out to find my maker. I will not be killed or harmed. Only if I protect her identity from them. Otherwise I’ll be classified as the victim since she tricked me.”

“Are you going to have any problem with having her prosecuted?” I asked, wondering where the ironic twist was going to kick in.

“Not at all, for losing you it is not worth it.” He said, right before softly kissing me. That was enough to convince me. But I hadn’t known the troubles his final immortality would cause for us.

Once we’d left New York City, the flight back home wouldn’t be that long. It would be the usual long as heck that everyone must endure. But luckily, we flew home in a private jet. For a few weeks he couldn’t leave the property. We’d moved him to a huge horse stable on the property that wasn’t in use and had heating. We’d cleared it out and made it a small house. He knew that you could make the wings disappear into your back and make them come back out when you needed them, if only he’d known how. But he soon figured out that the muscle he used to move the wings was the same muscle that’d draw them back in. It took a lot of practice. About three weeks. But when he could finally do it, he took me flying around the estate, then London, and then the country, and finally he took me places around the world. And all it took was a lot of practice and crash tests. Those were fun to watch though. He’d fly into random soft objects and see how long it took to jump right back up. So when he started to train with his wings’, that’s when things got lonely. Callie and Yasir had been away on some trip to see Greece, and I hadn’t wanted to go without Desantheo. So I went Christmas shopping. I bought Callie a RedHead Blackout Compound Bow and a set of new arrows. She liked to take trips back to Oklahoma to the land that her parents still owned out there and go hunting. It had been illegal to hunt in the U.K., so she went back to her home there and hunted. She was a very good hunter. She had told us that she had never missed her mark. It was a strange thought. Did she have an affinity, or was she just really good? Either way, I’d seen her shoot. All I knew was that I never wanted to be her target.

Then I bought Yasir a Playstation 3, seeing as how he was 345 years old and had no clue as to what it was. For Matchitehew, who I hadn’t known all that well, I got a $500 gift card to a local store in London. It was just an expensive clothing store. And for Desantheo I bought a very special necklace. It was the sign of the Triple Goddess, with our names joined by a Celtic knot on the back. It was as beautiful as the necklace that’d he’d given me for my birthday. And the stones were genuine polished moonstones set in sterling silver. It was very pretty. And I hadn’t been allowed to open my other two gifts until Christmas. And with only a few days until Christmas, I thought that Desantheo should at least get these few days off.

So on the day before Christmas Eve, I went to their training ground to speak with my father. When I’d got there, I was surprised to see them laughing at some private joke. Since I hadn’t care to know what it was about, I just ignored their laughter and picked up a bow and arrow and sent it flying into the bull’s eye of the target closest to them. And he reacted immediately, picking up a bow and was about to shoot when he saw it was me. He just smiled and dropped it. Dad just stood there with his mouth hanging wide open. Nobody but my Desantheo knew about my wicked skills with a bow and gun. Not even Callie. She’d probably think that it was the coolest thing ever. It wasn’t very common for an English girl to be able to shoot a gun or bow. But when we were younger, and Callie would show me how good she was with a bow, I started teaching myself how to shoot a bow by watching her do it. Then a gun was just a trigger away.

“My love, what are you doing here?” Desantheo said, walking to me and giving me a short and sweet kiss that still left me breathless. His wings were unfurled and a light gray. On a sunny day his wings turned a light gray that was almost white, and on cloudy days they were a dark gray. And of course at night, they were black. He’d told me that it was a survival thing. It was supposed to make him blend in with the birds, and at night he would blend in with the night sky. It was actually pretty neat to watch his wings change colors. I’d gotten up before dawn one day to see them. That same throbbing black light thing happened when they changed from night to day or day to night. But if the weather was going to shift during the day, they would become completely white.

“I’ve just come to ask father if you could have the next few days off.” I said sweetly, giving father a hug. I was pretty much just sucking up so I could get Desantheo off.

“Sure my dear, it is the most wonderful time of season. The Sun is being reborn!” Father said joyously. And with that he sprinted off. Then I had a strange thought, how come he let Desantheo go that quick. I’d expected at least ten minutes of arguing. Something was up.

“Well, he gave you up easily. I wonder why?” I asked suspiciously, unconsciously messing with my necklace. He just shrugged his shoulders and said,

“He’s probably grown tired of me.” I just rolled my eyes and replied in a sexy tone,

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I could never grow tired of you.” I said, pressing myself against him. He didn’t say anything, he just acted. In an instant his arms were wrapped around me, kissing me while his wings unraveled. When I’d first seen him, he’d had them drawn in. But sometimes, when we did things like this, they would come out. That’s one of the reasons we could do these things inside. But he would wrap his wings around us and I was perfectly warm and content in his arms.

We spent the day together in town. We went to shops, buying more Christmas presents for everyone. I had yet to buy mother anything, so he helped me with that. Then we bought more Christmas presents for Callie and Yasir, and I had a few friends from the university that I had to buy gifts for. All together it was a wonderful day. I thought nothing could ruin my Christmas spirit. Well, almost anything.

We were walking down the street to a shop that sold archery items. I thought it would be cool to buy Callie a new quiver that had something engraved on it. And as we were walking inside, three people suddenly appeared in front of us. They were in black hooded cloaks and their faces were concealed from their nose down with red, black and purple cloths. All of their eyes were bright emerald green. They had long, flowing hair that was thick and beautiful. One had blonde hair, one had red, and one had black hair. And it was apparent that we were the only ones that could see them. Then, something happened. The entire world went black.

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln