z

Young Writers Society



In the Arms of a Warlock- Chapter Eight

by youngwolf1105


“So, how are things going for you and Yasir?” I asked Callie at work one day. I worked at a small but very good coffee shop named The Espresso Room. It was very small, but we did wonders with it. Callie and I had worked there for four months that exact day.

“Good, he got me an early Christmas present. Wanna see it?”

“Sure,” So she pulled me around the coffee bar and pulled out a very country style camouflage and orange purse. It was cute, I suppose, but I wasn’t into the camouflage look that she was. She claimed that they were all the rage in the South. But I still wasn’t very interested. This one had a cross that had many rhinestones upon it. When you thought about it, it was a no-brainer to buy her something camouflage. Callie called herself a hick, I hadn’t been too sure on what she’d meant by that. I’m still not, but apparently Yasir knew what it meant.

“Wow, he knows just what to buy you, doesn’t he?” I asked, a giggle escaping my lips.

“Yep, I wonder how?” She asked me sarcastically, fisting her hands on her hips. She looked so cute that I giggled even harder. It wasn’t very hard to figure her style out, but finding it in London was the harder thing. I assumed that he’d ordered it off the Internet.

“Perhaps by magick?” I replied, giggling even harder. That day she had worn a tattered jean mini-skirt, a white tank top, and a black and red, long sleeved plaid shirt over it. Then she wore a pair of black leather cowboy boots that were adorned with wings. Her jacket was black, studded leather with fringe. Yasir had liked her western style; it matched her personality and accent.

“One could only imagine!” It had us giggling so hard that we hadn’t noticed Scarlet, Karvina and Charlotte walk in. They approached the counter and Scarlet tapped her long and lethal looking red finger nails on the counter in front of me. I snapped out of it immediately and put on the best waitress act I possibly could.

“Yes, how may I help you?” I asked, elbowing Callie to stop laughing. We instantly shielded our minds like Desantheo had taught us to do.

“We’re new to town and are lost.” Scarlet said in a sweet, Southern accent, obviously mimicking Callie. She scowled and gave Scarlet the-stank eye. But she ignored her and looked straight into my eyes. Her brown eyes were obviously trying to penetrate my wall of defense to my thoughts. She narrowed her eyes before flipping a switch and smiling. “Will you give us direction to the nearest church? We must pray.”

“There is one just a few blocks north.” I replied, keeping my shield strong.

“Could you point us north?” She asked, a dark and mean smile falling upon her lips.

“I believe you know, so if you’re not going to order anything, I’d like to ask you to leave.” I said, crossing my arms over my chest, as I was instructed to do. Then all of the sudden, Karvina’s head snaps up and her gaze locked upon mine. She was obviously trying to impenetrate my thoughts, and she’d tried so hard that she was giving me a powerful headache. I bit my tongue, trying to hold a scream of pain. Scarlet smiled evilly, pouting her lips.

“Now, what are you trying to hide? You can’t be a witch. Or are you? It’s obvious that you’re hiding something from us. So what are you hiding?” She said her voice seductive and alluring. Desantheo had warned me about this. I simply focused upon my shield.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. And there is no such thing as a witch.” I replied smoothly, trying to sound smart and like a know-it-all.

“Oh, are you sure?” Charlotte says, trying to breach my barrier. But this time I felt as if a vise was upon my brain.

“Yes, I’m quite positive. Now will you please leave?” I asked, lifting my chin up high. They simply smiled, turned on their heels and left all in one motion. They moved with a grace that I’d noticed Desantheo and Yasir had. Matchitehew had never walked along side his brothers, but behind them as if he had been shunned. Then I realized that he had been standing outside, looking inside. His eyes held mine for a split second before he turned and walked the way of the witches. Now, looking back, I realize just how true that thought had been.

A few days after that encounter, Desantheo and I left London. No, we were not interloping, we were simply vacationing. Of course Callie and Yasir traveled with us, but we thought it better if we were not together the entire trip. We had all traveled to New York City. And we stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel. It was beautiful and elegant and had a pretty Victorian feel to it. But it also had a few modern rooms. But we preferred to stay in one of the Victorian rooms. Ours were separate, but had adjourning doors.

During the day we toured the city and its wonderful landmarks. But at night, we visited the hottest and most exclusive clubs. Being 18 with a fake license had its advantages in London, but in New York, all you needed was money. It’d been a good thing that all of us had plenty of it. But my favorite time would have been visiting Lady Liberty. She was so beautiful and majestic, but her visitors were deadly.

“So, how do you like America?” Callie asked Desantheo. Some time before this Desantheo had confessed to us that he’d never been to America.

“It’s beautiful, absolutely beautiful.” He replied, looking mystified. He’d been many places, like France, Italy, Spain, Romania, and Czech Republic. Yet America, home of the free, had him captivated.

“I know, right? But you ain’t seen nothing until you’ve seen Oklahoma. It was the last place us Indians had before the damn government took that away from us too. Now they’re trying to take our reservations and the little bit of land that we still have.

It makes me sick to my stomach, thinking about it. I wish there was something that could be done about it all, but that stupid, hard-headed government won’t listen to a damn word we have to say. I know I don’t speak for the entire Choctaw Nation, but I do for a portion of it.” Callie says, gazing to the South with intense longing in her eyes. And before any of us could reply, a voice comes from behind us.

“Wow, bravo. Moving and totally riveting,” Said the cold, seductive voice that I knew all too well. All of us froze except Desantheo and me. We whirled around to see the triplet witches standing not four feet away.

“What are you doing here?” Desantheo asked his voice cold and hard. It was such an unfamiliar voice that it sent chills down my back.

“I could ask you the same thing, but our answers are obviously different.” Scarlet said with an amused voice. That only made my shield stronger.

“Yasir, it’s so very nice to see you again.” Charlotte said in a sweet voice. I noticed Yasir wince as if she’d struck him.”You know, you never said goodbye to me.”

“You never told me you were a witch!” He shouted, obviously not very well at keeping his cool.

“If I had, I would’ve only gotten that response. Besides, I was told not to. I would’ve been breaking protocol had I told you.”

“I don’t care; you said you loved me, and that you’d be honest. That was obviously a lie! I couldn’t even trust you.” Now that made my head hurt. It felt like everyone knew what he was talking about except me!

“What the heck are you talking about, dude?” I asked Yasir, squeezing Desantheo’s hand tighter.

“Charlotte and used to be close. Obviously I was nothing to her.” He said, walking away. Then I realized that, that had been there plan all along. It was to separate all of us!

“Yasir! Stop in your tracks!” I yelled across the room with power in my voice I’d never known I had.

“Why, I can’t trust anyone.”

“No! That’s nonsense! That’s only what they want you to think! You know you can trust Callie, Desantheo, and me! Shouldn’t that be enough? Or are you not man enough to even do that?” I said, obviously hurting his pride. But I’d had to. There had been no other way. And it had obviously worked! Because, he stood up, head held high and walked to my side, Callie falling into step behind him.

“Wow, bravo. You’re so smart, aren’t you Victoria?”

“I’m a whole lot smarter than you.” I said, holding my human head up high. And this made her giggle like a little school girl.

“I seriously doubt that, little girl. You forget I’m not the age I appear to be. Or are you too dumb to even realize that?”

“No, what I’m smart enough to realize is that you’re a dumb whore who wants a man she’ll never, ever have!” Just for dramatic effect, I had to drag out the three words. And it worked; I’d gotten her really mad. That was good, because now her shield was weak. Being mad or upset weakens your shield. And in the split second he had, Desantheo flung his arms at her saying the magick words, literally. And in that small frame of time, many things happened. Yasir grabbed Callie and I around our wastes and threw us out of the building. We jumped the entire 305 feet, and right when we thought we’d die, the fear ravening in side of us, the cables caught us. Before we’d gotten on Lady Liberty, Desantheo and Yasir had attached us to cables, then using Air and Earth magick, made them invisible and weightless, so it didn’t feel as if we weren’t carrying 300 feet long cables. Since we were only about 5 feet from the water, we unhooked our cables and fell to the black with night waters with grace we didn’t own. Obviously an enhancement from one our warlocks.

We swam to shore, nobody around to see us. And with the little waterproof sack of dust Desantheo had given me, I pinched the smallest amount between my fingers and flung it into the air above Callie and me, making us invisible. Just that small amount would keep ten people like that for a good three hours or so. Desantheo and Yasir had taught and given us many things, to prepare for what would happen. Yes, we all knew this would happen, if you were wondering. From what Desantheo said they were very predictable, for their age. Then I had a thought. What if that’s what they wanted? For us to leave and them be all alone? But Desantheo had said he’d be okay, the night before in bed. It was all just a trap. I couldn’t leave them alone without any help. So I grabbed Callie and started to head back to the water. But then I remembered that it would wash off. So instead we stuck to the usual plan and made a run from it. I felt bad, but I knew that both of them would whether die then lose one us. So I did the only thing I knew to do. I grabbed my cell phone and called father. Father had come on the trip secretly behind us, in case we needed anything. And this was when I really needed something.

“Father, we have an emergency. We’re at the Statue of Liberty.” I say into the phone.

“No worries, I saw you jump from the building. I’m on my way up there now.” And then I heard a loud bang and a girl scream. It was an agonizing scream. Then the line went dead.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 390 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments




If you are tired remember it's a sign that you haven't expired
— fatherfig