12+

Untitled Fantasy Story: The Chalice of Life: Prologue

by yizhongt

A dark hooded figure limped quickly through the dark forest, the only source of light illuminating his way through the pitch black forest was the faint and slightly eerie green glow coming from the tip of his wand. His pursuers were closing in on him, the white-bluish glow from their wands grew ever brighter with each passing moment. I will not go down like this, hunted like a dog, thought the hooded figure to himself angrily as he swung around to face is pursuers. The hooded figure mumbled a phrase which produced a spectacular bolt of greenish energy that crackled as it hurtled towards his pursuers before causing a massive explosion. The destructive force of the spell created a massive crater in the ground as well as producing green flames which burned the trees near the recently created crater.

“That should do it,” mumbled the dark hooded figure to himself with an evil grin on his face, but before he could admire the destruction he had caused, three blue bolts of energy streaked out of the smoke and headed towards the his direction. The hooded figure instinctively blocked the three bolts of energy with a shielding spell before firing yet another destructive bolt of green energy towards the direction from where the blue energies came from, causing another massive explosion. The hooded figure than begun limping quickly again. If only I could teleport out of this accursed forest. Curse those Praestux for erecting an anti-teleporting spell, thought the hooded figure as he limped through the dark forest. However, his luck ran out as he exited the forest and found himself near the edge of a cliff. 

I was so close. So close to destroying this whole world's order and ruling the new one that would have replaced it, thought the hooded man angrily to himself. He turned around as he heard footsteps approach him from behind. It was his pursuers standing in front of him. 

“That’s the end of the line Naxzaros,” said the lead pursuer with a British accent with his wand drawn and pointed to the hooded figure. The lead pursuer had black coloured hair which was slightly greying. It was also combed back neatly. He also had an eye patch covering his left eye and several deep scars on the right side of his slightly wrinkled face. "We're arresting you for mass murder and the crimes you have committed against all the other sentient magical beings of this world."

Naxzaros chuckled. “You think you three can defeat me?” asked Naxzaros confidently as he stood his ground, his wand drawn. “I have defeated countless Praestux and wizards and witches of high calibre before you. Even the greatest of the Elven sages, Elvindal fell before my might. 

“We can try,” replied the Asian Praestux with short neatly cut black hair who stood next to the lead Praestux with his wand drawn.

“Very well then,” said Naxzaros. Naxzaros with one horizontal movement of his wand and without uttering a word or incantation, produced a horizontal green crescent energy that made a high pitched screeching sound as it hurtled towards the three Praestux . Each of the three Praestux cast a shield spell to protect themselves respectively. However two out of the three of them were hurtled back by the sheer force of Naxzaros’ spell. The only one that stood, was the leader of the group.

“Most impressive,” said Naxzaros as the dust cleared, “I see your reputation as a master Vigilux and the moniker ‘the greatest Praestux in his generation’ is well deserved Mr. Croft. No wonder you defeated so many of my brethren during the battle.”

“Thank you for your ever so kind and generous complement,” replied Croft sarcastically before firing a spell towards Naxzaros.

Naxzaros deflected Croft’s spell with ease before firing his own spell towards Croft which Croft then easily deflected as well. Both wizards engaged in a ferocious duel, with both parties firing spells towards one another in quick succession and deflecting spells fired towards them equally quickly. The dark moonless night was momentarily lit up with flashes of green and blue light whenever Croft and Naxzaros deflected the spells that were fired towards one another. Both wizard's movements were so fast that their wands merely appeared as a blur. The ground in which both wizards stood on shook and cracks started to form as the intensity of the duel increased. 

Both Naxzaros and Croft could be said to be equally matched when it came to the art of dueling, but it was apparent that Naxzaros, although injured was starting to wear down Croft who was much older than the dark wizard due to his youth. It was only Croft’s experience over the years from taking down dark creatures and dark wizards and witches that was keeping him in on an equal footing with Naxzaros for the time being.

Praestux Lee Shan who was knocked out by Naxzaros’ spell at the beginning of the duel with Naxzaros came around. Shan reached for his wand which was knocked out of his hand and proceeded to stand up and join the duel between Croft and Naxzaros.

Naxzaros was too pre-occupied in dueling Croft that he did not realise that Shan had come around and was approaching the dueling zone between the two wizards. Shan lifted his wand and cast a knockback spell towards Naxzaros. The knockback spell hurtled through the air and hit an unsuspecting Naxzaros in the chest. Naxzaros was forced of his feet and to the ground by the force of Shan’s spell, dazed by the force of the knockback spell.

“Shan, good to have you join the fight,” said a relieved Croft who was using the brief respite to catch his breath. “Where’s Lucia?”

“Good to be able to join the fight, sir,” replied Shan. “She’s still knocked out cold by Naxzaros’ spell.”

Naxzaros staggered to his feat, still dazed from Shan's knockback spell. There was anger in his eyes, his pale twisted face also appeared more twisted than usual. Naxzaros regained his composure before he waved his wand in the air and proceeded to cast a spell which shot out a stream of highly concentrated green electrical like energy towards Croft and Shan after letting out a loud thunderous scream. Croft and Shan replied Naxzaros’ spell with their own counter-spell. The energy streams from the two Praestux's wands and that of Naxzaros clashed in mid-air, producing an extremely blinding light that lit of up the night sky as the streams fought for dominance. Eventually after almost what seemed like forever, Naxzaros lost to Croft and Shan. Naxzaros' stream of energy was forced back into his wand, the force hurtling the dark wizard back as well as forcing his wand out from his hand. Naxzaros, still on the ground crawled over to his wand as he tried to reach it, but it was knocked further away from him by a push-back spell cast by Shan before he could reach it, 

“It’s over Naxzaros,” said Croft as he and Shan approached the defeated dark wizard carefully and slowly, “surrender now and the court might go easy on you.” Although Naxzaros was disarmed, he was still extremely dangerous. Intelligence had noted that Naxzaros was proficient in the use of ancient magic and did not need his wand to cast magic. The two Praestux approached him slowly and carefully. 

Naxzaros let out a maniacal laugh as he got to his feet. “You think I want your petty mercy? You think taking me in will end the Dark Circle and our plans to subjugate the other sentient creatures and rule this world and rule over them?” asked Naxzaros as he walked closer to the edge of the cliff. "No, no, it will not. What we are fighting for will never end. There will be always people like me. People who believe that we as the race that originally discovered how to harness magic should be using it to rule over them ! Not giving it to them ! Our ancestors were fools !" Naxzaros inched ever closer to the edge of the cliff. 

“Don’t make another move Naxzaros,” ordered Shan as he readied his wand.

“No, no, the circle will continue,” said Naxzaros with an evil smile on his twisted and pale face as he made his way nearer to the edge of the cliff, “with or without me. The circle will not be broken !” shouted Naxzaros at the top of his voice before walking off the edge of the cliff.

“No !” said Croft as he cast a levitation spell to try and catch Naxzaros before he walked off the cliff, but the spell did not reach Naxzaros in time and he plunged down from the cliff and into the sea. Croft and Shan walked over to the edge of the cliff to see whether or not they could locate Naxzaros or his body.

“Do you think Naxzaros could have survived that fall?” asked Shan to Croft

Croft looked down at the cliff and saw the crashing of the waves against the cliff. “I have no idea,” replied Croft to Shan frankly. Naxzaros was one of the most skilled and powerful wizards of his generation, but no matter how powerful or skilled he was, he would not been have been able to penetrate a three layered anti-teleporting spell around the entire area. Let alone survive a fall from this height. Croft looked towards Shan, “Check on Lucia and make sure she’s fine,” ordered Croft. Shan nodded and ran off to where Lucia was lying unconscious to attend to her. 

Croft then walked over to where Naxzaros’ wand was lying. He picked up the jet black ebony wand that was dirtied by the wet mud of the ground. It was a finely crafted wand, there were runic patterns that were intricately carved on the wand, however its beauty was somewhat dampened because of the mud and dirt that was on it. Croft could feel a dark aura emanating from the magnificently made wand. A powerful dark aura that Croft had not come across in all of his career as a hunter of dark beings and artefacts. Croft admired the finely crafted wand for a moment before placed it into one of his trench coat’s pocket and walking off to join Shan and Lucia . As he walked off to rejoin his two colleagues, the seasoned Vigilux did not notice a brief and faint flash of green light that emanated from the depths of the cliff. 

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:35 pm
megsug wrote a review...

Hey yiz~
So, you asked me to review Chapter 7 in August, and I never got around to it because I'm really terrible at keeping up with my WRFF thread! But I'm finally here now, and to make it up to you I'm going to review everything you've got so far I'm going to chain review it, so some reviews may be long, some may be short, some may be paired with other chapters. It'll depend on what I find. Thank you for you patience!

I've read through all of the previous reviews, but you've been blessed as far as reviewers go, so if I repeat something, I apologize!

You have a person of color and a woman! I wouldn't call your prologue a beacon of diversity, but it is definitely more than other stories have. Fantasy is notorious for being whitewashed and male dominated. I'm already excited about what we have here.

I have to agree with what almost every other reviewer has said. There's a lot of showing instead of telling. Weird wording and sentence structure that messes with the flow of things. An absolute ton of repetition. I won't go into any detail because the other reviewers handled that fairly well. I will take the opportunity to answer some questions you asked other reviewers that weren't answered. Obviously we aren't the same people, but maybe my opinion will help?

Dueling Scene
I didn't read the first draft, but I'll leave my thoughts on what you have now.

You start it off like so:

Naxzaros deflected Croft’s spell with ease before firing his own spell towards Croft which Croft then easily deflected as well. Both wizards engaged in a ferocious duel, with both parties firing spells towards one another in quick succession and deflecting spells[b] [b]fired towards them equally quick[b]ly.

Both of these sentences. Say basically the same thing: they started dueling and were evenly matched. You can already cut out one of these sentences. I bolded words that were repeated within these two sentences as you can see... it's most the sentences. You can see how that would be monotonous. Finally, I highlighted "equally quickly" because it's just really awkward phrasing. An adverb beside an adverb rarely works.

But, believe it or not, I think you can just cut these two sentences all together. The information: they started dueling and were evenly matched is shown in the rest of the paragraph. "The dark moonless night was momentarily lit up with flashes of green and blue light" is a much more exciting beginning to an action scene then a complicated they started dueling and were evenly matched.

In general I think your dueling scene still falls flat. I would suggest choosing a character Naxzaros or Croft and following their thoughts, their emotions. I would choose Naxzaros, but I have a thing for villians, what can I say. Fill the action scene with more description while still keeping those sentences short, so the pace is still fast. Right now, your dueling scene is practically "there was a duel." I want a little more oomph.

[b]Year of Prologue
I think it would be nice to know up front what year this is. I also think that if you're going to do a time jump, things are going to get real confusing real fast at the start of Chapter 1 if we aren't aware of the year.

I'm a little surprised there isn't a reviewer who's mentioned it yet, but maybe this prologue isn't necessary? I'll save that talk for Chapter 1 when I see how flow.

Those were the two questions I saw, but I thought of a point of my own.
No one does anything for no reason. There are too many villains taking over the world for kicks and giggles. If their characterization is they're evil, then they're flat characters, and that's not satisfying to the reader. I don't know where you're going to take Naxzaros, but I think he's pretty dope right now, so put the effort into his characterization as much as you would Croft's.

Onto Chapter 1!
Let me know if you have any questions,
Megs~

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:48 am
tigeraye wrote a review...

So, I'd like to know what your ultimate goal is for this novel. Do you have any plans on ever looking at publishing, or is it just something you write for fun/to improve as a writer? I ask this because if the latter, I'd to focus more on the story itself than pointing out freak typo/grammar mistakes that aren't likely to be repeated. This review I'll get to both, but if there's something you'd like me to focus on just let me know :p

Anyway, I thought the story was pretty intriguing. The general idea of battles between these "dark wizards" and "Praestux" has potential to go in a lot of different angles. I'll put it this way; if you hadn't asked me to review the entirety of the novel, and just the prologue, I'd more than likely want to go ahead and look at chapter one, too.

The world has potential, as well. It's a unique fantasy setting, but without being fleshed out yet there isn't much more to add. I do have something to point out that I'll get to in a second.

The writing was...okay. I'm sure you've gotten better, this was written four months ago and you've got a ton more feedback than you do now. It was a bit confusing at times, and your choice of wording tended to be bizarre. However, I do commend you for the action scene. I've always struggled at action scenes in the past, and while I felt it was a bit dry and not as well vivid as it could be, that's more due to the lack of build. It's quite a great effort.

Some things I noticed reading through:

A dark hooded figure limped quickly through the dark forest, the only source of light illuminating his way through the pitch black forest was the faint and slightly eerie green glow coming from the tip of his wand. His pursuers were closing in on him, the white-bluish glow from their wands grew ever brighter with each passing moment. I will not go down like this, hunted like a dog, thought the hooded figure to himself angrily as he swung around to face is pursuers. The hooded figure mumbled a phrase which produced a spectacular bolt of greenish energy that crackled as it hurtled towards his pursuers before causing a massive explosion. The destructive force of the spell created a massive crater in the ground as well as producing green flames which burned the trees near the recently created crater.

I like this introduction. Very vivid description, and very alluring and fun to read. However, the second use of "forest" I'd personally change to a description of the forest. We know it's a forest, you just said it was. Say "crowded area" (that's lame, I know, I can't think of anything x_x), I want to know what the forest is like.

I will not go down like this, hunted like a dog

This should be italicized since it's the narrator's inner thoughts. Otherwise, the reader has to backtrack to see that it's not the narrator saying it.

Again, the last sentence is worded oddly. You already said it was a crater, you don't need to say it again. I'd mention it was recently recreated in the first sentence and then change it to better describe the gaping hole.

So, does Great Britain exist in this world? The fact that the narrator describes the pursuer using a "British accent" makes me think yeah, it does exist, but given the context of the story I'd assume it doesn't. My recommendation would be to describe what makes a British accent sound British rather than just say it's British.

I think you meant "caliber", not "calibre". Calibre is an e-book management software x_x You also forgot the quotation after "might".

Again, does Asia exist in this realm? If not, how is he Asian? x_x

Ah, it took me a few reads to get why he was impressed. I assume it was because Croft managed to live his spell. Interesting character, Nax is. One minor thing is the space between "three Praestux" and the paragraph.

Croft then walked over to where Naxzaros’ wand was lying. He picked up the jet black ebony wand that was dirtied by the wet mud of the ground. It was a finely crafted wand, there were runic patterns that were intricately carved on the wand, however its beauty was somewhat dampened because of the mud and dirt that was on it. Croft could feel a dark aura emanating from the magnificently made wand. A powerful dark aura that Croft had not come across in all of his career as a hunter of dark beings and artefacts. Croft admired the finely crafted wand for a moment before placed it into one of his trench coat’s pocket and walking off to join Shan and Lucia . As he walked off to rejoin his two colleagues, the seasoned Vigilux did not notice a brief and faint flash of green light that emanated from the depths of the cliff.

"artifacts " is misspelled, and again, there's an unneeded space between "Shan and Lucia" and the period.

I find it funny how long they'd take to check up on Lucia. Like, it was so overtly casual how the conversation went:

"Where's Lucia?"

"Oh, well she's unconscious."

I don't think that's what you intended, but it comes off as almost comical. Interesting how Croft grabbed Nax's wand, then is too preoccupied to notice a green light. I don't know, I guess he'd be pretty tired, and you did mention the light was brief.

Alright, I enjoyed this overall, will get to reading chapter one in some time x_x

yizhongt says...

Thanks for the review ! Haha I actually meant to ask you to review Chapter 10 Part 2. Looks like I screwed up the link. Silly me ! Thanks for the feedback. Will get right to correcting the problems.

tigeraye says...

heheh ok. I'll review that part, but give me time to read the rest first so I know what it's about.

yizhongt says...

haha no problem, no problem. To answer your earlier your question, I might want to publish this in the future. When I eventually finish it.

Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 pm
Warnah wrote a review...

Hey!

Finally getting in that review you requested :)

So first off, I'd like to say I overall enjoyed this prologue. Despite not clarifying a time period, I have to say I was fond of the quick beginning. It reminded me of Eragon, almost. I read that book a whiles back, but from my memory, it resembles the opening scene in the pursuit of Arya. Though this has some similarities, it's great in it's own way. I have to say I LOVED the duel descriptions. The use of magic was very fun to read, and the descriptions very much captured how I would imagine arks and bolts of energy flying from one wand to another. However, in the early goings I feel like you used "massive" too much, so I suggest throwing in some synonyms to prevent too much repetitiveness. The vague but effective introductions worked well in my mind. I thought they fit well with the opening scene.

I have to point out two cliches I noticed, however. Neither ruined this for me, but I feel obligated to point them out. The villain describing his plan on the brink of defeat was a cliche I noticed. It's used a lot; the villain openly discussing his plan to the protagonist either while about to attempt an execution of the plan, or while being defeated. Another cliche is the villain assumed to be dead, with "no way" of surviving, but a last minute sign they indeed survived (and that the protagonists also missed). That last cliche I don't see as avoidable, unless you wanted to rewrite Naxzaros barely defeating the other magic users and escaping.

I didn't notice much grammar wise, except in one sentence I wanted to point out.

"The hooded figure than begun limping quickly again."

The "than" should be "then," as "than" is comparative (ex. greater than), and "then" is time related. And I also believe "begun" should be "began," but I confuse those a rather good amount so I may be wrong.

Like I said, i overall really enjoyed this piece, and I wouldn't be surprised to find myself reading any future chapters. Feel free to link anything else you'd like to have reviewed in my thread :D

elysian wrote a review...

I'm here because you have requested a review from me in my WRFF thread!

Since you didn't specify something that you wanted me to specifically review on, I'm going to just write down anything I think needs edited or that you should work on!

As I've seem that many people have already reviewed this, I will try and make this mostly an overview, not very specific review. I don't read the other reviews, so if I repeat something that someone else has said, that means that you might want to edit that specific part ;-)

also, another disclaimer lol, I review as I read usually, so I may edit something and then correct myself, but that's just so you know how the reader (me) analyses your novel as he or she reads :-)

A dark hooded figure

this is so cliche, "dark hooded figure" is over used in my opinion. Try a different way of describing the character? Make it original! :-)

I will not go down like this, hunted like a dog, thought the hooded figure to himself angrily

Put main character's thoughts in italics, so the reader knows right from the start that it's inner-dialogue.

So is Vigilux like a group? And then is Naxzaros the main character's name? (EDIT: I understand now :p)

You use proper names a lot, which I guess is kind of necessary to keep us from being confused (since this is written in third person). I feel as if this story might've been a little better from first person, but I'm gonna trust you made it third for a reason ;-) I'm just saying, knowing more from the Main Character's point of view would be awesome, and make this story way more interesting in my opinion.

Another thing I noticed, you haven't mentioned setting at all. Is this medieval or futuristic? I don't believe this is modern considering it talks about wizards and such, but just make that more clear, to help?

you have some spaces between the punctuation and the ending of words, which is not needed.

So I'm hoping for some history and background in the coming chapters, cause I'm not getting a lot of that from this. I'm sort of confused, and there was a lot of spell casting in this. This might just be my fault, but I'm horrible at picturing and understanding fight scenes that are very long, like this one. If others are having problems understand, you might want to edit and make it more clear.

Well, that's all I have for you for this chapter, off I go to the next!

-Del

ClackFlip wrote a review...

You're going to hate me for this but: why don't the Vigilux or whatever they're called just have guns and use the shield spell? You haven't laid out a time period yet so it's still a possibility! Come on! It'd be fun! Bang! Bang! Kapwing! Kapwing! That and bullets seem a bit more efficient than green bolts of energy. But, I digress, that's not what I'm hear to talk about.
What I am here to talk about is the...oh, I should probably use the critique Ham & Cheese shouldn't I? Well, you had very vivid storytelling, something it's becoming harder and harder to find on YWS these days. The scene was set well and the fighting was well described. However, there is a minor problem in your description, being you forgot to add your major set-piece. You should have added "Oh and by the way, there's a cliff somewhere around here. Lalalalalala" Getting that out the way would have helped with your ending.
The reason being is, imagine your story as a window, and like all windows the clearer it is the better, but if you make the reader abruptly add a set-piece in (like a cliff) at the end the window that is your story get a small crack in it, and, though it can be ignored, it does fracture the suspension of disbelief.
But I digress. Well set, well described, you've just got a wellscene here...
except (you knew that was coming, didn't you?) you could have started somewhere more interesting, after all, you're only setting up a single element of the story, which is in this last paragraph:

Croft could feel a dark aura emanating from the magnificently made wand. A powerful dark aura that Croft had not come across in all of his career as a hunter of dark beings and artifacts.
and you could have made this a lot more interesting.
One of the best openings that I've ever read is from the Graphic Novel Watchmen, which starts with the death of one of the last surviving super heroes. Sure, it's an action scene and all, but the twist is major and interesting enough that you just go: "I want to see where this is going..."
Seeing a villain defeated is kind of, forgive me for saying this, but it's standard. I've read who knows how many openings that go similarly to this (Not that I'm washed of this sin myself, the novel I'm working on starts pretty standard as well.) and this one doesn't stand out from the lot.
All novels should start out like a Dresden book:
Well, I just burned down my favorite burger joint. How was I supposed to know that waitress was a vampire?
that's not actually from a Dresden Files novel....
But, for the third time, I digress.
Kevin J Anderson (The New York Times bestselling co-author of the new Dune novels) says something like: Don't sit around trying to make the best opening ever, write an average opening and finish your book before you even worry about starting off with more of a bang. And I completely agree.
Though I endlessly complained about this Prologue, I actually really enjoyed it, and it was well written enough for me to be interested in your further chapters.

Megrim wrote a review...

Hey there, here to review as requested. This is a fun start, full of action and dramatic imagery. It also has a solid arc with a beginning, middle, and end, and leaves some questions hanging on the air to keep us interested.

One thing that confused me was who to root for. I'm still not entirely sure who the MC is meant to be. At first I thought it was Naxzaros since that's who we started with, then I wasn't so sure, but maybe the story is meant to be told through the villain's point of view. One thing I'll mention about the opening is that I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a story start with a figure fleeing through a dark forest, so you may want to look for something more unique, possibly the same story but in a slightly different setting.

For me the biggest thing was the wordiness of the writing. I noticed a lot of redundancy, which slowed down the pace and made it hard to get really immersed in the story. For instance, take a look how many times some words are used--dark, forest, hooded figure are repeated more than a few times in the first few paragraphs. Like the other story I reviewed, I would suggest breaking some of the longer sentences up, or at least adding more commas. And IMO, things only really need to be said once; you could probably get away with more pronouns to help reduce the wordiness and make it speedier reading. I think the word repetition and long-winded sentences were the biggest difficulties for me while reading this.

I can tell the imagery in your head is really exciting and beautiful, but I'm not sure it's translating as well into the narrative. My impression was that this was imagined like a movie, and so you're writing it a bit like a movie, blow by blow. Consider the strengths and weaknesses of being in a written medium vs if we could see the flashy images on a screen. As writers, we can get really into the characters' heads, feelings, and frame of mind. On the other hand, the descriptions take a long time to get across fully. Where there's lots of mention of spells and energy over and over, I think they start to lose their impact. Maybe you could vary the wording, but I'd also suggest reducing some of the description and using that space to show some more internal thoughts and feelings.

Thanks for sharing and happy writing!

TriSARAHtops wrote a review...

Hey there! Here to review as requested!

I think that this chapter has a fir amount of potential. I can see something really strong coming out of this, but there is a few things that need work.

Something I noticed was that you used a rather considerable amount of adverbs and adjectives. Instead of making your writing more descriptive, it made the flow feel somewhat stifling and trickier to get through than it ideally would have been. Now, there's all sorts of debate about whether or not you should use adverbs, and how many you should use, but something that is key to remember is that if you over-use them, they'll lose some of their effectiveness. See which adverbs you can cut out without losing meaning, because a lot of your verbs are already pretty strong.

As for adjectives, try not to pile them on too much. It does become a little too wordy as a result of having too many adjectives when a single strong one would do the trick. I'd suggest doing the same as what I recmmended for the adverbs -go through and see which ones aren't really needed. The problem is, although you have a few moments that have some rather nice imagery, the adjectives aren't as effective in creating description as they could be. It's an oft-quoted adage, but it holds true: quality over quantity. Using a few powerful adjectives (and adverbs) will go far further than using too many that aren't so great.

This is a little nitpicky, but a little technically tip is that when you've got a character's thoughts, it's a good idea to italicise them. Just makes it clearer to the reader that it's separate from the narration.
Another thing I noticed was that you have a tendency to add 'ish' onto the ends of colours. Doing it once is okay, and you mught be able to get away with it, however, doing this consistently is a bit jarring. Just get rid of the 'ish' and your writing will sound much more confident. Your reader won't lose any meaning if you simply say 'green' or 'blue' or 'brown'.

Occasionally I found that you had a strange kind of order when it came to your sentences, which resulted in a weird and somewhat uncomfortable flow. In some cases, things could have been made clearer with added commas, or by cutting up any run-on sentences into separate sentences. Reading aloud can help with this, as you'll be better able to see where the pauses naturally exist. As for the sentences with the issues with the order of what you were saying, I'll admit that they're not so easy to fix. My best suggestion would be going through it slowly, with a fine-tooth comb - print your story out, if it helps - and making sure each sentence makes sense and the information is presented in a logical way. It's kinda tricky to explain the issue here, but sometimes the ideas were a little disjointed, within each sentence.

A reviewer below me has already spoken about showing versus telling, so I won't go on about that too much. Just keep an eye on it, where you can.

I think that the writing here did improve as the chapter went on, and by the end was more coherent and less stuffed with adjectives adverbs. That gives me good hopes for following chapters! :)

Plot looks interesting so far, although I want a little more world building. You mention Croft having a British accent and Shan being Asian, which leads me to believe this is a modern setting, however the cloak that Naxzaros wore, as well as the feel of this chapter suggested a more old-fashioned setting. Some more clues are needed to make the setting clearer.

Even though there's a bit of work to do, I did enjoy reading this chapter, and I'll definitely check out the subsequent chapters. Apologies for any typos, as touchscreens and I don't get on too well.

Any questions, let me know!

yizhongt says...

Thanks for the review and the constructive feedback you've given. I'll try my best to fine tune to the best of my abilities.

On the subject of the time period, should I put what year the prologue took place in if there is a time jump from the prologue to the first chapter?

Thank you !!

LordofLit101 wrote a review...

Hey there, LordofLit here,

Awesome start! I love a good chase scene, especially when you threw us into the action like that, brilliant!

This whole world seems pretty cool, I can picture a magic system and I reckon these three are the magic policing system (lol yogscast reference, oops!) yet I love the names you have chosen, Naxzaros is a very imaginative name!

As for grammatical errors I can't seem to find any, yet just remember to set the scene a little bit more, is it day, or night?

But even thought what a descriptive piece! The duel gave me goosebumps, and the way you built a cliff hanger like that at the end of the chapter was really well written.

I can't wait for the next installment!

LordofLit101

yizhongt says...

Thanks for the kind feeback. This was just a prologue and I'm still tinkering with how to go about with chapter 1. Hopefully I'll have chapter 1 out by the first week of July.

hunith wrote a review...

well i think, it's great. and i'd really want to know whether Naxzaros would survive the fall.

however when it comes to magic or combat of any sort, the way you describe your scenes and the flow of action is very important. i had a little problem with how it all when down when the Vigiluxes lol, dunno whether i can say that. anyway when they cornered Naxzaros, i wasn't caught up in the fight, i was just reading some lines.
another thing is, your choice of words and how you put things together.
Example:

in this line: "The energy streams from Naxzaros’ wand and Croft’s and Shan’s wand clashed in mid-air, producing an extremely blinding light as the streams fought for dominance"

there were too many nouns in this line.

instead of Naxzaros' and croft's and Shan's, it could have simply been ' The energy that zoomed ( considering you over used the word stream) from the three men clapped in mid-air, ......then blah blah..

one thing that bores readers is when the writer one way minded. and too much word repetition.

overall, this story is cool and if you just better your skill, who knows this might end up being the new 'Harry Potter'

yizhongt says...

Thanks for the feedback, I have made some changes to the dueling scene. If its not too much, could you read through it and tell me if its any better? Thank you in advance.

Velvet0Alchemy wrote a review...

I love magic. I love how much potential is here.

Let's start with the first paragraph. The description of the wand light is the first place I trip. The phrase "faint and slightly eerie greenish glow" is a lot of words for something simple. There's too much specific, but still somehow nonspecific information there.

Faint is good. It says the light isn't bright, it adds to the mystery of a hooded figure, and already makes eerie unnecessary. Normally, color isn't as important, but it makes a character contrast. So what color is it? Greenish? Is it green or not? If you leave it at "faint, green light" you're allowing the reader to continue without putting too much effort in visualizing, and therefore distracting from the scene. Same goes for the word 'whiteish'.

The spell casting in the first paragraph is cumbersome, too. The whole sequence is told instead of shown. Try adding dialogue here. Make up a word for the spell instead of just muttering something. The bolt of green light is good, but instead of saying 'it made a crater', describe it. What sound did it make? Was it blinding? Did the ground shake? Does the air smell like charred flesh and burning wood now?

The second paragraph is overburdened with repetition. You established the hooded man is, well, a man, but still you write out 'the hooded figure' over and over. I'm sure you were trying to keep who's who straight, but it actually made things more confusing by not using pronouns. And what's with the lack of synonyms? You used the word 'bolts' three times in two sentences.

Later on, there's an a line about someone being unconscious from the beginning coming to. That is entirely unnecessary and kind of makes me feel stupid. It doesn't really matter when he was knocked out, or that he came to and rejoined the fight. It only matters that he rejoined the fight, especially when you explain that his companion is still down for the count. Try not to explain EVERY detail. The reader will fill in the gaps on their own.

Showing seems to be the greatest problem you face. I was once given the advice to have a funeral for the words 'was, is, before, then, are, after, when, and am'. You will write so much better if you use them less. You don't have to cut them out completely, but they need to take a vacation in the majority of your sentences.

When I was told this, I threw my laptop. I could not comprehend how you could write without those words! How do you describe without sequence words? I pondered this, frustration building dangerous pressure in my soul. Long nights spent writing swirled down the drain. I'd write and write, my finger joints groaning at every keystroke, only to delete every last character, and pass out angry at three in the morning.

Books were disgusting to me. How did they know how to write without telling?! Was there an ancient cult I needed to join? It was a dark time. I did read, but I did so grudgingly. I marked pages, underlining and scribbling furious notes in the margins, sometimes even tearing out pages. Just when the darkness seemed eternal, the lights of heaven illuminated the answer.

More words.

Even now, I have a ways to go in the study of showing, but this is a good start: use more words. Basically, instead of:

I didn't like coffee until my friend made it.

Can become:

Coffee repulsed me. Yes, the scent allured me, but the bitterness kept my lips shut.
"Trust me," Mat said, "there's a coffee for everyone." He stirred the black liquid vigorously, adding dashes of cream, squirts of chocolate, and a few spoonfuls of sugar. Nodding, he handed the glass to me. I hesitated, nervous I'd hurt his feelings if I didn't like it, my curiosity arguing that I'd hurt his feeling more by not trying it. I closed my eyes and took a swig.

Bitterness scurried away from the sweet, earthy river flowing across my tongue.

See what I did there? If not, there's a lot of resources online to help you that I wish I had back then. You have a great imagination, and I do want to know where this goes and how it got where it is now (bonus points for unpronounceable names)! I know I almost seem to contradict myself, too, but it's not actually a contradiction. Specific language (green instead of greenish) paired with more description (refer to coffee example) works great, and people do it all the time.

Of course, practice, practice, practice, and you'll get it.
Best of luck!

yizhongt says...

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try my best to improve.

'Like' and 'equal' are two entirely different things.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time