12+

Starlight: Chapter 1 (Part III)

by yizhongt

The transport touched down in one of the many hangar bays of the Bastion which was located in the wall that surrounded the main ziggurat. Marthan, Shayla and the rest of the passengers disembarked from the transport. Some of the passengers were fellow initiates like Marthan and Shayla , while others were support workers for the Paladin Order that went about their way the moment they got off the transport. Many of the initiates were around the same age as Marthan and Shayla, but there were a handful who were much older. In fact, Marthan speculated that some of his fellow initiates could be as old as his father. This was because one’s ability to harness one’s aura was not determined by age, rather the ability to harness it could manifest anytime in a person’s life. 

The hangar bay the transport had landed in was large, but aside from the transport that brought them to the Bastion, there were not many other ships in it.

“So, where do we go now?” asked Shayla as soon as she got off the transport’s ramp.

“No idea, I thought there would be someone to greet us,” replied Marthan as he slung his duffel bag over his shoulder while he scanned the room with his dark brown eyes.

The door to the hangar bay slid open and in stepped a human male who was probably a few years older than Marthan. He was dressed in the silver and gold coloured robes that were reserved for full members of the Order. He also had brown coloured hair that was neatly parted to the left, much like Marthan’s hair. The man walked over to Marthan and the group of initiates which had gathered at the centre of the hangar bay.

“Greeting new initiates, and welcome to the Bastion,” said the man. “I’m Paladin Xarvix Vorieger, and I’ll be your guide around the Bastion today.”

“Greetings Master Vorieger,” said Marthan, Shayla, and the rest of the initiates in unison as the bowed their heads slightly in respect.

The door to the hangar bay slid open yet again, revealing a humanoid figure at the entrance. He was hairless and had dark green coloured skin. Unlike humans, the humanoid figure did not have a distinctive nasal or ear feature, and instead of having a jaw like most humanoids, it had multiple fleshy tendrils which hung from its lower face. Marthan recognised the humanoid who had recently entered as a Zhoidil.  He had seen one of its kind back at the academy on Aldrila. He like Xarvis, was wearing the robes reserved for full members of the Order.

“Sorry I’m late Xarvix,” apologised the Zhoidil with a deep resonating voice.

“Not to worry Zholl, we just started,” Xarvis said. “Everyone, this is Paladin Zholl.” Paladin Zholl bowed slightly to the gathered groups of initiates. The initiates bowed in respect to the Zhoidil Paladin.

“Are we ready for the grand tour?” asked Zholl to Xarvis.

“I think we are,” replied Xarvis, “but before that, does anyone have any questions before we leave?”

The gathered initiates looked at each other, each waiting to see whether anyone of them had a question to ask. It was Marthan who broke the silence, “Excuse me, but when are we going to meet our respective masters?”

“You’ll be informed who your master will be at the end of the grand tour,” answered Xarvis. “Any more questions?” The group of initiates stood there silently, waiting for one of them to ask a question, but none of them did.

“Alright then, let’s begin the tour,” said Zholl before making his way to the hangar bay’s exit with Xarvis and the group of initiates behind him.

Shayla nudged Marthan lightly. “This is exciting isn’t it?” she whispered to him.

“It most certainly is,” whispered Marthan back with a smile. 

BlueJayWalker10 says...

Hello there! Jay here, come to review this as per your request. Sorry it took me so long! I had state testing and was a little caught up in everything. (My life is a little hectic at the moment.) But I'm here now, thanks to summer vacation!

#0000BF ">

"No idea, I thought there would be someone to greet us,” replied Marthan as he slung his duffel bag over his shoulder while he scanned the room with his dark brown eyes.

There are a couple things with this. First off, after he said "No idea", there should be a period--not a comma.
Then there's the second sentence. It feels a little choppy and repetitive to me. . . How do I explain this. . . . . . . Hmm. . . Saying "as he" then "while he" is unnecessary. You can just say "and" or add "-ing" to the verb.
#BF0000 ">"No idea. I thought there would be someone to greet us," replied Marthan as he slung his duffel bag over his shoulder and scanned the room with his dark brown eyes.
Also, er, we already knew Marthan's eyes were dark brown. Adding "with his dark brown eyes" to the end of the sentence just makes it drawn-out and awkward.

He also had brown coloured hair that was neatly parted to the left, much like Marthan’s hair.

Okay, this is my writing program kicking in. Using "hair" twice in the same sentence is distasteful. (I myself was caught in this act in chapter five of my story.) If you really want another word there, you can use "own".
#BF0000 ">He also had brown coloured hair that was neatly parted to the left, much like Marthan's own.
Placing "own" there is optional. You can just say "much like Marthan's".

Unlike humans, the humanoid figure did not have a distinctive nasal or ear feature, and instead of having a jaw like most humanoids, it had multiple fleshy tendrils which hung from its lower face.

This sentence feels. . . Drawn out to me. It actually took me several re-reads to understand. . . And that's a really rare thing when it comes to me. It's just awkward, plain and simple. But it's okay--everyone struggles. I've just got good grammar. . . And that's it. At least you have a nice story and good characters!
Anyhow, back to the point. You can get all this description in without making it one sentence, okay? I'll show you how.
#BF0000 ">Unlike humans, the creature did not have a distinctive nasal or ear feature. Instead of having a jaw like most humanoids, it had multiple fleshy tendrils which hung from its lower face.

He like Xarvis, was wearing the robes reserved for full members of the Order.

Okay, I think you can see the problem here. They aren't cavemen, are they? "HE LIKE XARVIS. I LIKE XARVIS. ALL LIKE XARVIS."
I sure hope not.
I think you meant to say:
#BF0000 ">He, like Xarvis, was wearing the robes reserved members of the Order.

“Sorry I’m late Xarvix,”

Is this a character's accent, or an accidental mistype?
I think you know how to fix this.

"Any more questions?” The group of initiates stood there silently, waiting for one of them to ask a question, but none of them did.

When someone finishes speaking and you're not focused on that character anymore, you start a new paragraph. Seems you accidentally missed that! Whoops.
Also, you used "them" twice in the same sentence. Remember what I said earlier? That's a no-no.
But, you did do well by saying "any more" instead of "anymore". Most people are lazy and don't like to add that space in both "any more" and "a lot".
#BF0000 ">"Any more questions?"
The group of initiates stood there silently, waiting for one of their own/someone to ask a question. None of them did.

“This is exciting isn’t it?”

To make the sentence flow better, add a comma. (It's okay, knowing when to add a comma and when to place a period is hard to learn. A lot of it relies on personal judgement.)
[color=#BF0000 ]"This is exciting, isn't it?"[/quote]

Good job on this chapter, and I am soooooooo sorry I couldn't get to it sooner.

yizhongt says...

Thanks for the review! And don't worry about it. If you could review the next chapter as well, it would be awesome. Thanks again for the review.

Sure, I'd love to. No problem! I've finally got some time on my hands. :P

Wed May 11, 2016 9:36 am
Mageheart wrote a review...

Hi, yizhongt! Mage back yet again to review!

You're doing a wonderful job of not dumping information on the reader. As I continue reading this, I still feel that you were inspired by Star Wars. Am I right? If not, this reminds me of it greatly.

Like I mentioned before, don't use commas instead of periods.

replied Marthan as he slung his duffel bag over his shoulder while he scanned the room with his dark brown eyes.

This is a run on sentence. You could put a period after "Marthan", capitalize "as", and remove "while". You could also put a period after "shoulder", remove "while", and capitalize "he".

Keep up the great work - which I doubt you'll have trouble with - and good luck on your writing endeavors! Have a great day/night! :D

BlueJayWalker10 wrote a review...

Hello there! Jay here, come to review this as per your request. Sorry it took me so long! I had state testing and was a little caught up in everything. (My life is a little hectic at the moment.) But I'm here now!

#0000BF ">

Marthan recognised the humanoid who had recently entered as a Zhoidil

If Zhoidil is a creature, then it should be lowercase. (It's not a proper name.)
Also, "realized" is spelled with a z, not an s.
#BF0000 ">Marthan recognized the humanoid who had recently entered as a zhoidil.

"Sorry I’m late Xarvix,” apologised the Zhoidil

1) There should be a comma after "I'm late".
2) Apologized is spelled with a z, not an s.

“Not to worry Zholl, we just started,”

It's much better to say:
#BF0000 ">"Not to worry, Zholl. We just started,"

It was Marthan who broke the silence,

Period, not a comma right there.
#BF0000 ">It was Marthan who broke the silence.

Well, that was a good chapter! I'm excited to review the next chapter when I have the time (and I get over the plague). I'm interested to see what's up with our characters and what this majestic building is like.
-Jay

Why did it publish the draft of my review?

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:58 pm
RubyRed wrote a review...

Good morning, yizhongt. Thank you once again for requesting a review I'm glad you found the previous ones helpful and I hope you find this one to be as well.

Just as InfiniteRectangles said the story kept my interest throughout. I don't think I'll point out any grammar mistakes because he already did. If you get a review that says you have some grammar errors then read your story out loud that will really help you out. I was a bit confused when it came to the Zhoidil though.

“Not to worry Zholl, we just started,” Xarvis said. “Everyone, this is Paladin Zholl.” Paladin Zholl bowed slightly to the gathered groups of initiates. The gathered group of initiates bowed in respect to the Zhoidil Paladin.

I didn't understand that he was a Zhoidil species and his name was Zholl till later. It just confused me a bit. Also, you spelt apologized with an s it's a-p-o-l-g-i-z-e-d.

Other than that it was good. It just needs work. Keep writing so I can keep reviewing!

~Keepwriting

yizhongt says...

Thanks for the review keepwriting, would you be able to review chapter two for me? If you are able, here's the link to it.

Starlight: Chapter 2 (Part I)

Thanks again for the review!

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:21 am
InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...

Hello, InfiniteRectangles here with another review for you!

This is going great so far. You've kept my interest throughout, and aside from a few grammar errors, I didn't see much wrong with this. You also used more imagery and gave your characters more emotion, which is great! I will point out some of those errors for you though. (Sorry if I'm annoying you by pointing out grammar. I only do it because I care!)

Most of the grammar stuff was pretty minor:
"Some of the passengers were fellow initiates like Marthan and Shayla , while others were support workers for the Paladin Order that went about their way the moment they got off the transport.

"“So, where do we go now?” asked Shayla as soon as she got off the transport’s ramp."

"Marthan recognised the humanoid who had recently entered as a Zhoidil, he had seen one of its kind back at the academy on Aldrila."
I would suggest either changing this to:
"Marthan recognised the humanoid who had recently entered as a Zhoidil; he had seen one of its kind back at the academy on Aldrila."
or
"Marthan recognised the humanoid who had recently entered as a Zhoidil. He had seen one of its kind back at the academy on Adrila."

Those are just some minor things I noticed. One thing that stood out to me quite a bit though, is that you tend to be really repetitive with certain phrases. For example, you used the phrase "group of initiates" every time you referred to the initiates, but the word "group" isn't necessary every time. The readers already know it's a group.

"Paladin Zholl bowed slightly to the gathered groups of initiates. The gathered group of initiates bowed in respect to the Zhoidil Paladin."
You don't have to say it twice, it's redundant and can make you sound like a broken record. Just "initiates" will suffice:
"Paladin Zholl bowed slightly to the gathered groups of initiates. The initiates bowed in respect to the Zhoidil Paladin."
Or you could just say "they" instead. Both will work.

In conclusion, this is turning out to be pretty interesting so far, and for the most part it is well written. Just watch your grammar and make sure you aren't being too repetitive. Keep writing and have a wonderful day/night! :D

This review is brought to you by InfiniteRectangles

yizhongt says...

Thank you so much for your feedback infiniterectangle, it is much appreciated. Don't worry about it, you're not annoying me by pointing out my grammar mistakes. In fact, I welcome it. That's the only way I know I have things to change.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.
— Oscar Wilde