z

Young Writers Society



chapter one-revised

by xhalcyonx128


this is chapter one of a book in progress about a revolution (not the title). keep your eyes out for upcoming chapters (so far theres at least 5 out). i reedited this chapter based on critque. thanks for everyone who reviewed.

Chapter One

Running down his brother’s ornately decorated hallways, Ramon Perez reaches a pair of doors. Pausing a moment to compose himself he enters to take his place at his older brother’s deathbed. A combination of grief and ambition fills Ramon’s brain with undesired ecstasy. He leans down to take Carlos’ shaking hand, straining to replace the gleam in his eye with tears. “Ramon,” whispers Carlos in a raspy voice, “Cambia is yours now. Carry on my legacy. Keep control.” Without another word, the feared and respected leader of Cambia releases his fragile hold on life.

The grieving family exits the room with their bodyguards, leaving a middle-aged lawyer alone with Ramon. He holds a folder with considerable bulk. “There is no time to be lost Mr. Perez. Cambia must have a president.” Ramon remains silent, his heart beating out of his chest with anticipation. “The last page is all we should concern ourselves with today.” The paper reads: “I, the undersigned, willingly accept the position of undisputed leader of Cambia and all the rights and responsibilities this entails.” Ramon maliciously smirks with the thought of the unconditional power this simple paper grants to its signer. The lawyer presents Ramon with a pen.

Before the ink could hit paper a gunshot rang out and the document becomes spotted with blood. The limb body of the lawyer slumps to the ground. The supplier of the gunshot springs out from behind the oversized draperies, his cohorts coming out of the woodwork. Every one of them is filthy and slightly pale, evidence of an extensive stakeout. One of the more robust men restrains Ramon in a chokehold.

The lawyer’s shooter approaches the struggling Ramon. “Hallo Mr. Perez.” The man raises a pistol he had concealed within his cloak. “Let’s cut the negotiations and get right down to business.” Grinning a yellow tar-stained smile, he positions the barrel of the gun in front of Ramon’s eye, as if to let him stare down a dark hallway of inevitability. “Give Cambia back to its people.” Ramon’s responds with dialect as cold as a snake’s underbelly with the scorpion’s sting: “Never”.

The man lets out a guttural laugh in hearing this anticipated answer. His laugh is piercing, yet not quite loud enough to drown out the quick blast that shatters Ramon’s skull. Stepping over the recent victim the man picks up the document from Ramon’s cold clutch. Signing the paper, he turns to his followers.

“My friends,” he announces, “the rebellion has begun.”

As he pockets the article a weak ray from the setting sun illuminates his fresh signature: Javier Gonzalez.

“Perez es muerto! Perez es muerto! Cambia es libre! Viva Cambia!” These constant cheers rejoicing the newly gained peace have been playing on the living room radio for hours. My father adjusts the knob to phase out some of the static that inhibits him from hearing more about the current situation.

Eager to escape the confusion, I log onto my computer to check my mail. The profile page cheerfully reads: Hello, Margo. I half laugh at that. The computer is the only cheerful one today. Hesitantly I glance at the recent messages. One reads: “Have you seen him?” I instinctively glance at the date, July 7th, only two days ago. My mind tells me not to click on it, after all no news is good news, but my body disobeys and opens it anyway. “Please if you see this guy, IM me or call me right away. He has been missing ever since the uprising. I think he might be dead. I…I tried to stop him. I didn’t want him to leave. I’m so worried…well anyway I’ll keep this simple. If there is any information, please tell me ASAP” -Maria. Attached is a familiar picture of a Latino youth staring into nothingness, oblivious he is the photo’s subject.

Suppressed tears rise up. Soon, I am weeping, the warm droplets of water spilling across my mahogany desk. How could this have happened? Was freedom really worth the lives of so many innocents? The radicals certainly seemed to think so.

My thoughts return to Maria’s bulletin. Maria and Julio have been dating for nearly a year. I find it odd that he would leave her, but at the same time nationalist’s blood flows through his veins. Julio disappeared shortly after the rebellion had broken into full swing. My only guess at his whereabouts is that he is in Cabina’s capital, Amer, joining his fellow young rebels, or on a cheap fishing boat to some similar destination.

I sigh. He always was that type, the one who would pick up and leave when adventure called. I can picture him the minute he found out about the NR, throwing what little clothes he owned into his tattered school bag - with bike chains and old combination locks attached - and catching the first fishing boat out, ninety miles south, to the chaotic center of the uprising. The fishers were the first to sail out of the harbor, past the docked cruse ships, under the seven mile bridge, and well beyond all signs of our territory.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 317

Donate
Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:57 am
Kim says...



great job, i loved this to the very last sentence. everyone else has already critiqued. so i get to just sit back and enjoy reading it. this is awesome. cant wait for the next chapter.

kim




User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 114

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:04 pm
xhalcyonx128 says...



thanks erika :-)

ok yea ill think about taking the joke out, i already thought it might b out of place.

yea i was there for the Mind and Body story, but thats just a coincidence.

and yes i ment cambia, typo there.

ill think about making the email longer and more desperate ;-) lol




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:52 pm
TheBluePoet wrote a review...



Hey Meredith! Much better than from when I first read it so there are just a couple things here and there that can be edited.

Quote:

“There is no time to be lost Mr. Perez. Cambia must have a president. These first hundred pages are basically an owners manual.” He chuckles at his joke.

Personally, I am not feeling this. You're portraying leaders and their affliiates who really are not suppose to care about each others feelings other than their own. You might want to leave the joke part out of there. When I read that part, it kind of lost it's hard edge and stuck with me for a couple of lines but then I quickly felt the hard edge again.

Quote:
One reads: “Have you seen him?” I instinctively glance at the date, July 7th, only two days ago. My mind tells me not to click on it, after all no news is good news, but my body disobeys and opens it anyway.
-
This reminds me of a piece Mimi wrote, I am not sure if you were in that workshop with me but I think other CWWers who were at that workshop will think of her piece lol

Quote:
“Please if you see this guy, IM me or call me right away. He has been missing ever since the uprising. I think he might be dead. If there is any information, please tell me ASAP” -Maria.

I would make this part a little bit longer. I like it, but it doesn't sound like a scarred, seventeen year old girl, it sounds more of a worried parent. Maybe add something along the lines of "If only I told him how much I loved him..".

Quote:
My only guess at his whereabouts is that he is in Cabino’s capital,

Do you mean Cambia's capitol?


Also, besides Julio, what do the other characters look like?

Good Job Meredith! Can't wait to read the next chapter!




User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 114

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:12 pm
xhalcyonx128 says...



note to self: space out the paragraphs :-)

thanks for all the critique

ill have up chapter two soon




User avatar
130 Reviews


Points: 2399
Reviews: 130

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:55 am
scotty.knows wrote a review...



Hey, good job. This was written very well and it flowed fairly evenly.

Just one complaint: Your dialog needs more paragraphs.

The man lets out a guttural laugh in hearing this anticipated answer. His laugh is piercing, yet not quite loud enough to drown out the quick blast that shatters Ramon’s skull. Stepping over the recent victim the man picks up the document from Ramon’s cold clutch. Signing the paper, Ramon turns to his followers. “My friends,” he announces, “the rebellion has begun.” As he pockets the article a weak ray from the setting sun illuminates his fresh signature: Javier Gonzalez.


It would read a little smoother like this.

The man lets out a guttural laugh in hearing this anticipated answer. His laugh is piercing, yet not quite loud enough to drown out the quick blast that shatters Ramon’s skull. Stepping over the recent victim the man picks up the document from Ramon’s cold clutch.

Signing the paper, Ramon turns to his followers. “My friends,” he announces, “the rebellion has begun.”

As he pockets the article a weak ray from the setting sun illuminates his fresh signature: Javier Gonzalez.

Other than this problem, that repeats itself throughout the piece, it was very well written and intriguing. I enjoyed reading it. Already, I wonder about the fate of Julio and of Cambia.

Keep up the good work.




User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 114

Donate
Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:30 pm
xhalcyonx128 says...



im not the least bit spanish, but i live in a mainly spanish speaking place. my friends helped me translate that bit that i said was coming through the radio.




User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 5120
Reviews: 317

Donate
Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:51 am
mizz-iceberg wrote a review...



Very, fast paced. Something I was hooked till the end. I was a bit confused when the transition of your narrative style came. At first I thought this was a story about Ramon, but then all of a sudden you start narrating it...first person point of view. Whereas at the beginning it was third person. I caught on but the mood that had been created from the beginning changed. I don't know if you understand what I'm saying. Other than that is very interesting and Bravo!! -Are you Spanish?

Oh another thing, you might want to space your writing a bit. Turn the huge chunks of writing into neatly spaced paragraphs, it's easier to read.

Best of luck!





I am so glad that we can have this middle of the night bonding conversation over deep sinks
— EllieMae