z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Please don't be in love with someone else

by wyd.evie


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

Please don’t be in love with someone else.

He was laughing. What was he laughing about?Did shesay something funny? I kept my eyes glued to the cold metallic lock in my hands. My hair fell like a curtain over my shoulders,covering my face.

My lungs squeezed so tightly that ithurt to breathe. My mind scrambled to find the reason as to why, but failed. Nothing about this was right.

He wasn’t mine; I wasn’t his.

When I looked up at them, my stomach tumbled. His arm, the same one thatused me as an armrest, slung over Charlotte’s shoulder. Her head lay against his heart. His complacent, lopsided grin revealed that dimple on his left cheek.

They fit perfectly with each other.He’s finally found someone who has an ego twice the size of his.A match made in heaven, if you asked me.

Closing my locker, I blew out a sharp breath. Knock it off, I told my stubborn heart. It refused to stop pounding in my ears.

Sunshine blinded me as I exited the school. A gentle warmth amongst the chilly air. My feet moved on their own,furthering the distance between us. I wanted to run. Get as far away as possible, but he was a magnet pulling me back. A pesky force that somehow knew exactly how to weave his way into my heart.

I hopped into my parent's old car, tossing my backpack into the passenger seat with one fluid motion. Putting the key into the ignition, something caught my eye.

***

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down, Scar.”

I glanced at him for a second before pulling my eyes back to the road. “This is slow,” I stated. I was going 60 on a deserted city road, not a cloud in sight.

“I’m gonna die,”he proclaimed. “Mom, dad, I just want to thank you for all you’ve done-“

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not stupid.” Gradually, I eased on the acceleration pedal, bringing the car back down to a steady 50. I drummed my fingers on the black leather steering wheel. “If I was going to kill you,” I started, “I would’ve done it a while ago.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he retorted. “Just know, my face is one in a million and—oh my god. Signal!”

I had already turned left by the time he reminded me. He was jumping out of his seat, jaw dropped so far it made an O shape.

“Whoops?”

“You are the shittiest driver I’ve ever met.”

I shrugged, “Never claimed to be a good one.”

***

Taped onto the blinker was a bright yellow sticky note that read, “Signal!” in big bulky handwriting. I would’ve recognized it anywhere. Sterling’s.

The gesture, though minuscule, tainted my poor, jumbled heart. So much so, it skipped a beat. Or several, maybe. Flowers bloomed in the pit of my stomach that wilted when Sterling and Charlotte appeared.

He was the same Sterling as always, radiating confidence wherever he went. This time, though, he carried a bouquet of roses in one handand a massive poster in the other.

Holy fuck, Prom.

Charlotte asked him to Prom.

My body chilled, numbingall over. I clutched my heavychest as it knotted itself tightly.He said yes, I registered,heart sinkinglike an anchor.

Part of me wished hesaid no. Part of me wished he wouldget on one knee, andask me instead.

Sterling accompanied her halfwayto hisflashy red car. He paused, then said something inaudible. Charlotte waved, continuing towards his car. Maybe he lost something?

I watched as Sterling scanned the lot.When his eyes landed on me,I felt like I was on fire. About to combust at any moment. Blood rushed through my veins, reaching thevery tips of my fingers.

As soon as our eyes met, he winked.

It was only a minute, or slightly less, but it felt like an eternity. Before I could blink, hedisappeared into hiscar.He left me dumbfounded, thoughts disorganized and hazy.

And I hated it. I hated how he affected me. I hated how much I cared. I hated the thought of him walking her to the door, kissing her goodnight.

That’s when I knew.

I was so, hopelessly, screwed.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 287
Reviews: 65

Donate
Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:29 am
pineapple321 wrote a review...



Hi, wyd.evie, Pineapple here for a short review!

I thought this was a very well-written story. It illustrated the good and bad parts of a teenage romance that you wrote so beautifully heartbreaking. I found it relatable and realistic to people my age.

I don't have any big critiques though some of the words did not have space between them. It was a little bit unclear who Sterling was until further into the story. I suggest using the names in the introduction, to open up with.

I really liked the small flashback in the middle of the story. It showed how love can come so fast and then leave just as quickly. The car scene seemed very innocent and comedic and I loved how it just flowed.

My absolute favorite lines were "And I hated it. I hated how he affected me. I hated how much I cared." This part was so relatable. It shows how even though someone might not be good for you, it's hard to let them go. It almost seems impossible.

Overall, I thought you did a great job. Keep up the great work!

Signed,
Pineapple




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 3296
Reviews: 60

Donate
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 am
PoetryMisfit wrote a review...



Hi Wyd.Evie, I thought I'd leave a quick review.

Your first line immediately drew me in - hooke, line, and sinker. You did an incredible job with your descriptions. You told me how she felt without directly telling me. That is such a great skill to have as a writer. Grammatically, I did see some room for imporovement. There were a couple instances where words had no spaces between them.
"He wasn’t mine; I wasn’t his." I think this line would have more of a dramatic impact if you replaced the semi-colon with a period to make each thought more succinct and draw more attention to them.
"They fit perfectly with each other.He’s finally found someone who has an ego twice the size of his.A match made in heaven, if you asked me." At this line there is a noticeable change in emotion from sadness to bitterness. That is understandable.
"Sunshine blinded me as I exited the school. A gentle warmth amongst the chilly air. My feet moved on their own,furthering the distance between us. I wanted to run. Get as far away as possible, but he was a magnet pulling me back. A pesky force that somehow knew exactly how to weave his way into my heart." These sentences read a little choppy and fragmented. I would recommend combining some of the sentences here to improve the flow, though I definitely think "I wanted to run" should stay its own sentence.
"My body chilled, numbingall over. I clutched my heavychest as it knotted itself tightly.He said yes, I registered,heart sinkinglike an anchor." The phrase "I registered" feels a little awkward in this sentence. I'd recommend either removing it or replacing it with a different phrase to help the sentence flow better.
I was a little confused by Sterling's gesture towards the protagonist. It actually seemed like a very douchey thing to do, because as far as I can tell, they were broken up and she was hurt while he was with someone else. It seemed like a very arrogant thing to do, but then again that does play into his character since you mentioned earlier in the story that he had a large ego. It made me not like him.
The last line seemed a little anticlimactic, because she seemed to already know the whole time that she was screwed. She was hurting and every time she saw Sterling with Charlotte it was a painful reminder of what she no longer had. And what's worse is that deep down she still cared for him.
I would love to see what happens after the silent interaction between the protagonist and Sterling. Does she attend the Prom or does she avoid it like the plague? Overall, you did such a good job describing the protagnist's emotional state, you put me right inside her head. The dialogue was also very good too. This is a good story, and with a little improvement it could be even better.

Thank you for sharing!
Poetry Misfit




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 354
Reviews: 31

Donate
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:12 pm
julia002 wrote a review...



Reading stories like this reminds me how I've never had an original experience. This story really put the feeling of caring for someone so deeply, and not wanting to. It captured hating yourself for liking someone who could not care less about you. The small feeling of just him winking at her, I just know that that tiny TINY little gesture meant something to her when it shouldn't have. Here are my favorite lines:

"He’s finally found someone who has an ego twice the size of his."

"Closing my locker, I blew out a sharp breath. Knock it off, I told my stubborn heart. It refused to stop pounding in my ears."

"And I hated it. I hated how he affected me. I hated how much I cared. I hated the thought of him walking her to the door, kissing her goodnight."

This story made me feel something and it made me remember parts of my own life and emotions. And that's exactly what a good piece of writing should do. Good work!




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 1080
Reviews: 31

Donate
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:06 am
WeepingWisteria wrote a review...



Hello, wyd.evie! I'm Lorde. Welcome to YWS. I hope you enjoy your time here. I know I certainly do. Anyways, I'm here to review your short story.

I love the line "flowers bloomed in the pit of my stomach." It's a very interesting visual, both physically and emotionally. Very striking.

I noticed that there were several instances where you had no spaces between words. For example, in paragraph 2, line 1, "about?Did shesay." It happens again in paragraph 3, line 1, paragraph 5, line 1, paragraph 6, line 1, and several other times throughout the piece. I would suggest a thorough read-through to fix that.

Another thing, the relationship between the main character and Sterling isn't clear. A couple of lines suggest a friendship, but descriptors with negative connotations indicate a rivalry. Which is it? Is the relationship complicated? Was it a friendship that devolved into a feud? A couple more details throughout the narrative would make the story clearer.

Who is the he referred to in the car scene? I am assuming Sterling, but why isn't his name introduced before this scene? If Sterling is the love interest, it would be best to introduce him at the very beginning by name rather than leaving it until the end. If the person in the scene isn't Sterling, who is it? Throughout the entire narrative, you mostly referred to characters as a pronoun without introducing the person behind them.

The subject, the feeling of unrequited love, looks pretty authentic. I like how the character doesn't admit defeat but accepts that it's inevitable. It seems much more human.

This story shows that you have a lot of potential. Keep writing, and you could be great one day. Good luck!
- Lorde





Half the work that is done in this world is to make things appear what they are not.
— Elias Root Beadle