The Tranquil Drownings - [prologue & the eulogy]

by writingleos7

This sea owns me, owes me. My wife and I have been here only once together. Anyways, I take a break from my busy life and come here. And I stand. And I wait. I wait for that familiar hum of pain. Pain that fills no empty void, but pain that is necessary to feel awake. I stand here and wait.

For numbing silence. Silence which is essential for consistency. Then I think of all the horrible things, realistically. Significant catastrophes. Tragic accidents. Traumatic incidents. Disasters. Miseries. Nightmares. Events and occurrences that could send the blood rushing in my veins. News that could set my hair on edge, my flesh pale. My mouth dry. But they must be good, tragically speaking. They. Must. Make. Me. Not. Bored. They must set the blood running again. Otherwise it was quite a waste breaking from my daily schedule for nothing. For nothing more than salt and air. Or black blue, useless waves.

The Eulogy

They lived in these houses. They breathed out of them with this air of invincibility. Since everyday they came home to a table laden from the harvests. The harvests of elites. Nothing was more carefully cut in such complex, competitive, evolutionary edges. 

But when they laughed over the irony of the others and those past, they gulped down their fears with liquids laden in crisp chemicals. So, was it their fear rising in their throats as they kissed each other good night or these naturally unnatural gems they’d washed down with the earth’s innocence? It is true that what is invincible is impermeable and will deny everything impure to it. 

But even as this ringing burned through their ears they let their heads hit the soft bed and shut their eyes to the growing night. It was only staring at the deep pits they’d dug before them that they finally whispered these acidic ways had claimed their end. When they kissed each other good night once more they pretended not to smell the sour, bitter air. They pretended that they weren’t thinking of the day the earth would wrap around themselves and the acid would finally pour endlessly from their mouths. Then they could sink in their impurity and natural state in the dirt; they could sink to inexistence in one piece and in peace. 

In eternal submission with the acid they had created from the base of the earth. The base which they had dug up from the depths of her core. They knew the core was not endless. Or invincible. 

But they were the invincible elite. 

They breathed on her, their motherland, digging their heels into her rightfully. Frustratingly. Frustrated to extremes. I believe they were angry their throne had not been made invincible like them. Although she was vast. Almost endless. A vastness their evolution had not reached. A greatness their mouths, hands and bodies refused to use for one another in purity, in limitlessness. In their bitterness, they made her the epitome of bitterness. From their rage, they scoured her unforgiving buried nature. And they ate it all up. All’s well that ends well. Says the mother pouring dirt over her cold child’s body. Because she is invincible. 

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 pm
Irislillygray wrote a review...

Wow, deep. But here is a few pointers. Don't know if they will help, you can do with them what you wish.
"This sea owns me, owes me."
You say "This sea owns me" but then say nothing more about the sea. Not sure what the sea has to do with tragedy. You might want to expand on 'sea' part more.
"But even as this ringing burned through their ears they let their heads hit the soft bed and shut their eyes to the growing night."
What is the ringing? I don't hear any ringing as I fall asleep. I do like the rest of the sentence, you might want to rethink the ringing part. Not sure readers will know what that is, like me.
Just some of my opinions. I really did like this prologue and the eulogy, the mystery of the passage and the word play draws the reader in and makes them have to read more. Continue your good work! I am very excited to read more of your story!

writingleos7 says...

Thank you so much for your input!! So the sea part will be explained in the next installment/chapter because it's vital to the story. That's why I wanted to keep it brief. Is that alright? As to the ringing part I totally understand haha, I'm gonna fix that. I was trying to be descriptive but I'm gonna have to omit that word and change some placement. Thank you so much for your help :)

Your welcome! I am glad I could help! I am very excited to read the next chapter!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:01 am

Hi there, just stopping by for a quick review. I hope you're enjoying YWS so far.

I liked your piece overall, but I feel there are a few changes you could make just so that the whole thing flows a little better:

Anyways, I take a break from my busy life and come here.

I would remove this word, just because it doesn't quite fit.

In general, you need to be careful of where you're splitting your sentences. Often you use many sentence fragments (which is when you're putting a period where it would be grammatically correct to instead use a comma). This is a highly debated technique in writing though the general consensus is that they can (and should) be used to emphasise certain things in your prose. However, here, you're using a lot of them all at once and by emphasising everything you are in turn emphasising nothing. If that makes sense. Make sure that you are conscious of your use of sentence fragments and that you're using them to emphasise specific points, not just because you don't want to think of complete sentences.

The penultimate sentence also gave me a bit of trouble:
Says the mother pouring dirt over her cold child’s body.

I had to read it a couple of times to understand what you meant. I think this is an example of where you should rethink this particular sentence fragment and join it to the last one just so it reads better.

Hope this has been helpful to you, and hopefully I'll continue to see you around the site.
Icy.

writingleos7 says...

Omg thank you thank you!!! This really helps and I'm definitely going to look over these fragments because there are specifics I want to emphasize and you're so right that they'd get lost in there. That last sentence too I'll have to combine/edit to make more sense of it because I want it have emphasis but I guess it's vague/choppy. Thank you very much for your help!!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:39 am
myjaspercat wrote a review...

Hey there writingleos7, late welcome to YWS!
Myjaspercat here to leave you a review.

So first of all, I found this piece to be absolutely breathtaking, which, in my experience is rather rare. I really love your prologue and, if I'm assuming correctly, I'm looking forward to see the development of that character (that is if he [again I'm assuming it's a he] is the main character.) I also really enjoyed the eulogy. For me at least, it was eerie and hauntingly beautiful, so good job. That said, I do have a few nit-picky things I'd like to mention:

I'm not sure if you meant to use the word 'anyways' here, but it doesn't really read right. The only way I could see this working is if you meant 'any time' or something along those lines.

And I stand. And I wait
I would personally take out the repetition of 'and I.' I think it would be just fine if you said "And I stand, and wait" instead. But of course that's up to you.

I stand here and wait.
Again, the repetition that this line holds doesn't really work in my opinion.

[...]that could send the blood rushing in my veins
I think 'through' would be a better substitute for 'in' in this line.

They. Must. Make. Me. Not. Bored.
This is more of a personal preference, but I would put 'not' before 'make' in this sentence.

They lived in these houses. They breathed out of them with this air of invincibility.
I would combine these two sentences so the read: "They lived in these houses, and breathed out of them with this air of invincibility."

[...] that they finally whispered these acidic [...]
Maybe add a comma after 'whispered.'

Alright, I think that's all I have. I do want to mention that I found the eulogy to be slightly confusing, I don't know if that's what you were intending, but I thought I'd mention it. Other then that, if you have any question please feel free to ask. Good luck and continue writing.

writingleos7 says...

Thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it! Yes I agree with the grammar, word placement fixes lol. Thank you for noting those down, it really helps to have a fresh perspective on it. Also, when you say confusing for the eulogy, do you mean you absolutely had no idea what the text meant or it just was confusing context wise? TYSM!!!

myjaspercat says...

I'm so glad to be of help. When I said confusing, I meant that the ideas felt a little jumbled around. I understood what the text meant -for the most part- so you're good there. It just felt confusing, like you put it, context wise. Hope that helps.

writingleos7 says...

Okay thank you so much! I'm going to add some context at the beginning (or maybe end of the piece), and hopefully that will clear it up. Thanks again!!

I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault