z

Young Writers Society



The Universe

by winters


This is a first draft for a story I'm writing for a class. Tell me how it sounds so far.

The Universe had been created primarily as a means for inter-colonial gaming. The servers transmitted wavelengths consisted of particles charged up nearly two hundred times faster than the speed of light. That in itself was a feat, with obvious military applications, as well as possibilities in the fields of transportation as well as communication. The several hundred human worlds currently charted now had a way of connecting that the vast distances of the galaxy couldn’t hinder.

However, such connectivity meant that online crime had a stable base on which to operate. The game itself was fairly safe, certain protocols and remote watchers kept the worst out, but even those couldn’t stop such discreet criminal activity. Thusly, the Moderators Committee was established, given the authority to police The Universe and everyone that played it. When the player count exceeded several billion, the Committee was expanded to a military sized force, complete with Marine Regulars to provide “grunt duty”.

The Moderators were given the best equipment, technology on par with the day’s standards, unlike the sword-and-sorcery aspect of the game. While other players had to run around on foot or on horseback, the Moderators had shuttles, armored jeeps, and tanks. Where players had only swords, bows, and other such primitive weapons, Moderators wielded rifles, handguns, and heavier firepower. There had only been one large-scale player uprising, in which a large group of mid-level players tried to conquer a principle quest town. They lasted for ten minutes against a platoon of Marines, something that was in itself amazing.

Every day, players were reminded of the Moderators, watching warships cruise between server “planets” and meeting at the Moderator Headquarters on the nearest moon to Planet Twelve. The highest ranking Moderators were VirEx officials, overseeing the day to day activities of the game world, but most Moderators were players that had applied for ascension after years of dedicated subscription. Typically, they came across as do-gooders with Knight in Shining Armor complexes, always playing the part of the dashing hero coming to save the day.

To Carla Elder-Sanchez, known in-game as the Paladin class Shiva, nothing sounded sweeter as the Warrior class Juniper swung his heavy two-handed sword in her direction. When his stamina level was supposed decrease as per game rules, his strength level instead increased. It was all she could do to dodge his attacks that were carving huge gouges out of Planet Twelve. Trying to parry the blows would have been suicidal, though not in the literal sense; no one could actually die in The Universe, despite how real the implants made it feel.

“You’re breaking the rules,” Shiva announced as she rolled under a swipe. “You had better quit now, or the Mods will show up.”

“Like anyone gives a damn,” Juniper shot back. He was the local bully, and Shiva thought he would make an easy level up. She now knew why nobody challenged him. Shiva tried to jump upwards, struggling to make room for a transcendence spell. No luck. Juniper had her dead to rights.

“Looks like you eat your words, girlie,” he said, sneering over her. His sword was raised in an amateurish stance, but he didn’t need any skill with gear like that. “But don’t worry; you’ll get processed for revival in a few months.”

“Screw you,” she said flatly. Juniper grinned even wider, relishing the kill.

“I believe you are in blatant violation of the rules,” someone said. Before Juniper could react, his sword vanished. His gaze traced the ground back to the speaker. A Moderator.

“Thank God,” Shiva whispered.

“Illegal modification,” the Mod said, looking the blade over. In reality, he was examining the code behind the weapon, tracing the illegal add-ons. “That’s a good two months suspension.”

Shiva crawled to the side, poised to strike should Juniper react in a violent manner.

The Mod looked up, a slight grin on his face. “In fact, it looks like most of your armor is illegal, too.”

“C’mon, man,” Juniper pleaded. “Everyone upgrades their stats a little.”

“Not a plus three strength bonus, they don’t,” the Mod said, simply. He removed a pistol from a leather holster. “That’s a guaranteed account deletion.”

“No, you can’t,” Juniper whimpered. He jumped up suddenly, charging the Mod. Without flinching, the Mod fired a shot right into Juniper’s chest. A bit of blood spattered from the exit wound, shimmering then fading as the code was systematically deleted, removing the offending player.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 317

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:13 pm
Kim wrote a review...



when you complete this, it will be an awesome story

the first paragraph lost me, i know you were trying to describe the connections, but i had to reread it a few times. it breaks up, and the words to discribe were to much all at once.
i almost didnt keep reading , the first paragraph hs to grab the reader, if not they put it down.

if you can rework that, this is going to be a great chapter.

keep writing.

kim




User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 18

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:01 am
winters says...



Thank you for the review.

I should probably have mentioned before, but this is only the first part I've written for it. The pacing isn't quite working for me, so I'll probably end up overhauling the entire first page.




User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 11417
Reviews: 425

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:29 am
Nate wrote a review...



Not sure if you've read it, but it sounds somewhat similar to "The Game" in "The Worthing Saga" by Orson Scott Card. It's a Risk & Civilization like game with ultra-realism; the protagonist plays Italy and manages to take over all of Europe during the WWI era. From there, he begins to cause the new Italian Empire to collapse, using lessons from that to bring down the Galactic Empire.

Anyways, on to your story. It's an intriguing idea, but doesn't seem as of yet fully realized. Rather, it reads more like an idea for a story than a story itself. It also ends rather abruptly.

But your idea is great, and I think you'll have an awesome story once you develop it more. From this point, what you need to first work on is clarification as right now I'm quite confused. I don't know if you're referring to "The Universe" as simply an ultra-realistic version of "Civilization," or if you're actually referring to the Universe we are living in. Either way, I'm still quite confused about the way the game operates, and it'd probably be better for you to start off with the paragraph you have now, but then move right into a story. Begin in the middle of a conflict or something like that.

You also need to define some of the terms you use, such as "VirEx," "Paladin," and delve more into the rules of the game. Also, if something is illegal in the game, then how can the players obtain it? If there's hacking problems, I can understand, but otherwise you can just program the game to keep anything illegal out.

So it needs work, but that's not a big deal as you have the important first element of having a good idea. Flesh it out a bit, figure out what you want to do with it, then start playing around with it.

Good luck!





More than anything she wanted the world to be uncomplicated, for right and wrong to be as easily divided as the black and white sections of an Oreo. But the world was not a cookie.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes