Chase chapter 3 part 1

by winie603

This is just the boring beginning of the chapter, so please stick in for part 2! Also, if you'd like to read the first two chapters just click on my portfolio and you'll find it. Please critique harshly!

“So, what is your sickness, er-”

“Camilla Vendez,” I groaned for the third time. The middle aged blonde really needed to get her memory checked or something.

“Yes, and your sickness?”

“Excuse me?” I coughed.

“Your sickness, why are you leaving school early?”

“Er, very, very sore cough, and um, tooth ache and-”

“Look girl-”

“Camilla.”

“Camilla, you do not want to be playing with me. Do you know who I am?”

“Uh, the secretary?”

“I’m not just the secretary, I rule this school. And you are one of those who I rule.”

“Okay.”

“Do you understand me?”

“Yes. Now can I get a permission slip?”

“Excuse me?

“Please. Please can I get a permission slip?”

“No you may not. The nurse has to check you first.”

“She already did,” I lied smoothly.

She sighed. “They’re by the blue bins.”

I picked my stuff up and walked over. There were only black bins. I smirked. “There’s no blue bins.”

“Yes there is, young lady, right there. Navy blue. You should get your eyes checks young lady.”

No, you should get your eyes checked old lady! I mean who the hell wears silver chains for necklaces? And I mean seriously, who has their hair that big! And I’m Camilla, k? CA-MIL-LA!

I filled out the permission slip and dropped it at her fingers without a word. I think I heard an “I except you to see you tomorrow,” but I don’t care anyway. Besides, you won’t. You’ll never see me, because I’m not sticking around to see your ugly face.

Okay, so, what’s up with the bad mood? Hmm. And why am I ditching school? I don’t know. Actually I do.

And it’s not that some kid got ketchup all over my new shirt and not even that Michael, who happened to be sitting a few seats from me at that moment, saw everything, including the part where I stuck my middle finger out.

It’s the part where Lea Jones, who happened to be sitting across from me at that moment, laughed. Yep. Laughed. Her evil, gut-crunching, ear-splitting, cackle. And that’s when I blew.

If you expected me to start cursing the hell out of her, you expected wrong.

I still have red eyes.

And where was Jen? Oh right, she was the one who told me “ it’s no biggie,” and expected gum in return for her genius advice.

Che.

And that’s the answer. I hope your satisfied.

I pushed the double door open and… wow. Back to this. I bet mom will be mad. Whatever.

I unchained my bike and jumped on. A song. That’s what I needed. Something sweet, and soft. And I needed to write it. Now.

I rode past the high school sign and peddled fast, ‘cause I needed to get home ASAP.

So I got out my purple notebook, the one my cheap grand dad bought me for Xmas, and flipped to the first page. I pressed my nose against it and could still smell a forest in there. Fresh, Natural, and full of life. A whole adventure to be written, it just had to be found.

I sharpened four pencils and took out a worn out eraser. I needed something… I don’t know what. A song?

That’s what I thought at first, but I sing horrible, so what’s the point? I needed a story, that’s what. I needed a real story. My life. But that’d be about the most boring book ever.

I needed something to happen. Anything. The smallest thing would be great. And that does not include some kid pouring ketchup on me, on purpose.

Well, the fall dance is coming up, that’ll be cool. I guess.

If Kade comes with me, that is.

But he won’t anyway. The dance is still a month away though, no hurry.

What’s so great about this dumb dance anyway? Let’s see… shopping for two hours with Jenny to get a cheap dress, dancing in high heals all night, and obviously, not dancing with Kade. Oh, don’t forget the horrible barbecue chips, and powder kool-aid.

Been there, done that!

Okay, forget about the dance. How about something else? I could throw a party… oh yeah right. Five people would come, six including me.

Okay, so that’s not that great either. But come on! I’m in DC!!! Something has to happen. God. Why can’t trouble ever find me? I don’t want to be an innocent little girl! I want trouble!

I just need a dumb story. I don’t know why. I just do.

At that moment, I rolled over and closed my eyes. Stories can wait. Besides, I have my whole life to live.

“Honey! Get up! You gotta go to work! HON-EY!”

“Hmm?”

“And why are ya even here so early, did somethin’ bad happen at school Cam?”

“Hmm? Wha?”

“Look, I’ll let ya off today, but you gotta promise never to this ‘gain, Cam, k?”

“Yeah, okay.”

“And when I come back, you better have done all your homework and a full explanation too.”

“Yup.”

I heard the door shut and I rolled back to sleep.

You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken