z

Young Writers Society


12+

Faith - Chapter Two

by willachilles


Faith

A story about time, faith, and love

CHAPTER Two

I gulped down the spit which had massed up in my mouth. Abba took a long look at my clothes. I knew what was going to happen next.

“What have you done to yourself?!” he questioned. He ran towards me and grabbed my shirt. “What is this? Where have you been? Why are you all wet?” 

I reached into my pocket and felt the notes of money in my hand, making sure they were there. “It’s nothing. I’ve just been out to the local pool.”

“Been out to the local pool?! Do you think that excuse is going to work on me?” I knew it was a bad one. But it was the only thing that came to my mind. How did I know Dad was going to be waiting for me over here?

“Dad, I’m telling you, it’s nothing!”

He wasn’t smiling. But I didn’t want to reveal it to my dad now. I would do it at dinner if Dad hadn’t come back early. But now it was too late. The awkward silence had eaten away Abba’s words. “Abba,” I struggled to say. My voice was shaking. I don’t know how he was going to react. “I’ve been going out when you leave to work.”

And then, there was silence. No-one said a word. Then, the thing I least expected happened – he smiled. “Who is she?” he asked.

“No, Dad, not like that!” I can’t believe he thought that. What did he think I was - some sort of socially accepted person, who can have a girlfriend? I pulled out the notes and the coins. “I’ve been working at the carwash.”

More silence. But this time, it was different. His smile dropped. There was tension in the air. I felt it. Like you saw the oncoming car before the crash. Like you were about to be pushed off a mountain.

“I knew it was you,” he replied.

What in the world was that supposed to mean?

“I saw you when I was coming back from work. At first, I thought it was just me. Now, I realize it was you. Same grey t-shirt, same grey pants.” He looked down at the tiles and slightly shook his head - a sign of big disappointment.

It was the same head shake when we three – back when Ma was around – were trying so hard to make a living, and we couldn’t pay off one of the payments. The same shake when I punched another high school boy, who was much bigger than me. He had always taught me to be humble – to never attack another person physically, to never show your anger, to never cry over spilt milk. We only had each other. And here I was, standing downstairs, getting a disappointed look from my only other family member.

*****

“Charles, stay upstairs with Ma – me and Mr. Skye are just going out for a walk.”

I still remember that day. I was young – only around 12. Most would say it was a normal day. Not for us. That decision had changed our lives, and it wasn’t for the better either. The other thing I remember from the day is that, I had just recently gotten a new camera! I loved it so much – in fact, I still have it. I used to take pictures of absolutely everything: my parents, the house, the trees, and the construction of The Boulevard.

12 year old me ran downstairs and before Mr. Skye could open the door to leave, I pleaded, “Can I come as well?” Abba looked over his shoulder and then back at Skye. “Please?”

“…Okay, but hurry up.” He had hesitated before saying it. I wish he had said no.

I grabbed my camera from the drawer upstairs, and ran down to put my shoes on. I raced out the door, merely behind Dad and his banker. Whoa. This place has changed a lot. The grass had been laid down, stretching across the length of the road, and small saplings had been planted in the one by one areas designated for them. This is going to look so cool when it’s finished. The footpath had only recently been paved, so it looked fantastic.

I took out my camera and snapped a few shots. I looked down and fiddled with the controls to check them out. I grinned. I grinned a grin which was far bigger than any grin before. They looked stunning.

“Charles, hurry up! If you’re not going to keep up, go back home.” I followed them, all the way until the crest of the hill, when they stopped walking. This is it, I thought to myself. The loan is coming.

“Well, sir, it’s been a pleasure doing business with you.” I saw the moment. I snatched out the camera and waited.

“You too, Edwin.” They shook hands. Click. And that was the moment when everything changed. Embedded in history.

*****

It was as if time was frozen. It was my fault, but my heart was saying that I did the right thing. “I’m sorry Dad. I should’ve told you earlier.”

He took a deep breath. “Charles, I understand why you did it.” He gulped. His eyes were welling up. “I would…I would have done it as well.” A tear rolled its way down his face. He scrunched up his eyes, his bottom lip starting to pout.

I’ve just made my father cry.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:05 pm
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



Hey will! I'm finally getting started on reviewing all these for you. I decided not to do chapter one, since I really don't have a lot to say about it, other than that it's good. :)

Overall
Really, this is a nice chapter. Your writing flows well, the dialogue feels natural, and it's all understandable.

I like your main character, though I'd really like some sort of description of him. But I like that he's willing to go out and help support him and his dad, even though his dad doesn't want him to. That's good character right there.

The Flashback
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of where it is at the moment. You stuck it in during a very emotional scene, so it feels a bit like mood whiplash. Also, because you said "I still remember that day" and generally tell it like it's a memory, it feels more like present-day Charles is reminiscing more than an actual flashback, and it seems really unlikely that he would start thinking about something that happened while he was 12 when he's having a confrontation with his dad.

Something you could do is put the flashback at the beginning of the chapter - that's fairly common, so it feels more natural, and if you write it as a scene instead of as Charles reminiscing, it'll feel a lot more normal.


Also, it leaves me with a lot of questions! I want to know what's being constructed, and why it ended up causing problems for their family.

Abba
Honestly, I'm not sure why he's so upset that his son is working. I understand that he doesn't want his son to have to help support them, but surely he wants his son to gain experience and a work ethic? The scene still works, but I'm left with questions at the end and I really want to know more about Abba's character.

Nitpicks

in the 1x1 areas designated for them

Typically, you'd want to write out "one by one"

This was it, I thought to myself. The loan was coming.

You've got a bit of tense confusion. Since these are Charles' thoughts, they'd probably be in present tense.

I’ve just made my father cry.

Since the rest of the chapter is in past tense, this should probably be "I'd just made my father cry."


And that's all I've got for you right now! I'll be back later to review your later chapters.




willachilles says...


Thanks for the review!

Yeah, I do think that the flashback could have been placed better. But I think that it just creates that tension in the story. Actually...hmm...I'll have a think about it!

And I'll fix up what you said at the bottom there.

Thanks!



User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:44 pm
View Likes
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Me again! Reviewing for you....for chapter 2.... ;)

Things I liked;

The dialogue immediately feels more natural between father and son already! The dynamics are being established and I can feel a real connection between them.

The break of humour when the Dad asks, who is she? is clever and made me smile. This sets the whole novel up to be much more diverse and interesting than one would first think!

You’re very good at making the feelings of your characters very realistic. I like that.

I loved the flashback. I set a challenge on this! And you’d been doing it all along! haha I do apologise.

Things I think you could improve;

I still haven’t read a description of the son. I don’t know his name even! Ah! I don’t know if this is how you want this to be but I’m finding it almost frustrating. Maybe you could give a few subtle clues?

I feel that this chapter could have been a little longer. You could have offered a bit more information as to why the Father would have been so upset at the knowledge his son was working.

Just a few more added descriptions of the people would be great.

Ride on to chapter 3!

Olive <3




willachilles says...


Hey Olive! Thanks for following up on the series!

Now...the description...I'm sorry. I didn't know it would frustrate you guys so much :P It's for the imagination right now...and Chapter 7!

Why the father would have been so upset is explained in the next chapter (if my memory serves me right).

Thank you again!



User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 2162
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:46 pm
SilverBerry wrote a review...



Hey! Blablabl92 here!

Another great chapter! I'm really liking this so far!

"'What have you done to yourself?' He questioned.

He ran over to me and grabbed my shirt. 'What is this? Where have you been? Why are you all wet?'"

(I feel that it isn't necessary to make this two lines, especially since the same character is talking both times.)

"'What have you done to yourself?' He questioned. He ran over to me, grabbing my shirt. 'What is this? Where have you been? Why are you all wet?'"

(I think this is better and smoother.)

Just remember to add commas sometimes when you have a lot of short sentences, but other than those things I really liked it.

Also, remember to not drag along the mystery of the debt too long or the reader will get very frustrated. At least give many hints per chapter.

Great work!




willachilles says...


All righty! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I loved your review!

I'll be sure to fix up the things you said, and I'll keep in mind to give some more answers next time.



User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 5851
Reviews: 77

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:40 am
View Likes
FeatherPen wrote a review...



I found this chapter easy to read whist still being emotional.
It’s nothing. I’ve just been out to the local pool.” Perfect example of the lamest excuse!

“Who is she?” this is a good bit of humour! I also like that the father seems to always try to think the best of his son.

“He always taught us” I think you mean -He had always taught me

12 year old me ran downstairs and before him “and” Mr. Skye could open the door to leave. Instead of the “and” I think you meant before Mr.Skye could open the door
I thought during this interlude you were going to give a back story of the last time the boy disappointed Abba but I finished it little confused as to how it fitted into the rest of the story

“I would…I would do it as well.” Would be better in past tense as “I would…I would have done it as well.” As in if he had been his son.

A reason why the father is so determined not to have the boy work would be good to add to explain the father’s reaction of betrayal. In my friends house she pays a tiny% tax to her parents for the running of the household out of her babysitting money. The rest gets divided between savings, charity and spending money. The % is not much but is to teach her budgeting... apparently. I baby sit and that gives me my personal spending money most of which I save. So to me the fathers attitude is strange.

I enjoyed reading your writing and appreciated that it was posted as a short chapter making it so much easier to review.




FerranWright says...


I also thought I should add that I found the title off putting because it sounds preachy.



willachilles says...


Hey Ferran. It's nice to see that you've followed up your first review!

I thought during this interlude you were going to give a back story of the last time the boy disappointed Abba but I finished it little confused as to how it fitted into the rest of the story


Yeah, I see your point. It kind of is off putting isn't it. Hmm...I'll think of something to fix it up.

And 'A reason why the father is so determined not to have the boy work would be good to add to explain the father%u2019s reaction of betrayal.'

I'll add that as well.

Thanks for all your fix-up's, I'll be sure to add them into my story.

Thanks for the review!



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 159
Reviews: 45

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:02 am
View Likes
tronks wrote a review...



Hey! This chapter is pretty interesting. You could add more detail overall, it would help the reader see everything more clearly. It flows smoothly and I like the more simplistic language you use. The only thing I could advise is a little editing and more detail.


Just a few things to point out:

“What have you done to yourself?!” he questioned. He ran towards me and grabbed my shirt. “What is this? Where have you been? Why are you all wet?” I reached into my pocket and felt the notes of money in my hand, making sure they were there.

“It’s nothing. I’ve just been out to the local pool.”


(I would possibly split this up in a neater way? the way you have the spacing now makes it difficult to understand what's happening)

“What have you done to yourself?!” he questioned.

He ran towards me and grabbed my shirt. “What is this? Where have you been? Why are you all wet?”

I reached into my pocket and felt the notes of money in my hand, making sure they were there. “It’s nothing. I’ve just been out to the local pool.”

“Dad, I’m telling you, it’s nothing!”

He wasn’t smiling. But I didn’t want to reveal it to my dad now. I would do it at dinner if Dad hadn’t come back early. But now it was too late. The awkward silence had eaten away Abba’s words.

“Abba,” I struggled to say. My voice was shaking. I don’t know how he was going to react. “I’ve been going out when you leave to work.”
(I won't fix anymore but I think this might help you fix the issue with the spacing)


What in the world was that supposed to mean?
(for this dialogue tag you should italicize it to make it more clear that it's the protagonist's thoughts)


The same shake when I punched another high schooler boy, who was much bigger than me.
(change this to "high school boy")


I took out my camera and clicked a few shots.
('snapped a few shots' could work here)


I grinned. I grinned a grin which was far bigger than any grin before.
(maybe cut out the first sentence with the grin)




willachilles says...


Thanks so much for the review!

You have noted a lot of errors, and I will definitely fix them up.

If you liked this part, maybe you should go check out Chapter One?

Thanks once again!

-willachilles




It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman