truth seaker

by whatever1274

They were walking together in a group, a loud, boisterous group. They looked around to find there victim and found it. The quiet girl from maths class, Maria they thought her name was. Never really talked, only if the teacher asked her for the answer but even then you could only barley make out her voice. Whenever you saw her, her head would be down looking at her feet and her long brown hair covering her face, like she didn’t want the world to see it. She was perfect for the job.

“Oy” one of the boys shouted. Her head lifted a little just to see who shouted to her.

The group ran up to her quickly and became only a couple of feet away from her.

“Can we ask you something, what’s the worst thing that has happened to you. Random I know, but what is it?” the same boy asked her.

She merely shrugged her shoulders with reply and slowly turned in the opposite direction to head off.

“Wait a sec, Dave do it, come on.” The boy nudged another

The boy then stared at the girl. For about 10 seconds and kept eye contact with her, his eyes were looking into her eyes but looking all around them as if he had to look at all of her eye.

“You were kidnapped weren’t you?” He said

“You were kidnapped!” the whole group chocked.

“How did you find that out?” she asked curiously and quietly but with concern.

“None of your business.” The boy said

“Wait a sec, you were kidnapped! When….how!” a boy curiously

The girl put her finger tips to the boy’s temples and both their eyes closed almost immediately.

Their faces were straight but the girl’s eyes were closed but moving, like looking inside the boy somehow unexplainable. The group stared but the two were still.

She took her hands down and pulled him away from the group.

“You’re a truth seeker aren’t you.” The girl finally said.

“A what?” He questioned

“Have you been getting any visits in your dreams?” she asked

“What?”

“Visits, you know. Like people coming to you in your dream and speaking to you?”

“I don’t know what you’re on about” pleaded

“Come on Dave, stop chatting her up.” The boy laughed

“How did you figure out you could tell when people were lying?” she demanded

“Um, I duno really, just started to realise when people lied to me, like when my mate was telling me he had to go to this family thingy but I could tell he was lying. But then it started to get to the point when I started to tell what they were lying about.”

“Did anyone know about this, like even a smig of it.”

“Well apart from these guys, who just think I know everything about everyone at this school and the staring thing was suppose to scare you .”

“Oh, good well if anyone comes up to you telling you about this or asking you if you have it, don’t.”

“Why, you do realise its weird having this.”

“I know what you’re going through.”

“Are you sure you do, and who is going to come up to me and ask me those questions.”

“The people who kidnapped me.”

“What?” he questioned

“God, how to explain this. Basically in basic basic form they are what you could call the bad guys, you know the ones that want to try to do things that could kill millions of people bla bla bla you get the picture. Well me and my people are like the good guys trying to stop them. And these people want special people, like you and me to either help them or to be taken captive if on the wrong side.”

“Ok, now you’re going to tell me now there are other world and all that jazz ye?

“Yes there are actually other world, groups, and beliefs. Millions actually, with different ways of thinking than the other worlds or groups.”

“Right then, that does make sense.” He said sarcastically

“It will do soon, and by the way if anything else like being a truth seeker happens tell me ok?”

“Ye sure, oh and by the way, what’s your name?”

“Mariella” she replyed

“Cool, my names Dave.”

“Cool.”

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:26 pm
time_fox wrote a review...

Not a bad idea at all. It's very confusing thought. You are rushing everything and it is hard to keep up with it. Go back and explain things a little better. Also add a little more detail in general to the story, you have five senses use them.
I like the idea of this story. It's a little more original then most.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:58 pm
whatever1274 says...

thank you guys for you comments and help, i did write this quite quickly, it was a imagination burst and i am also not a very strong speller (Sorry)
well this is my edited version and at the moment i am trying to write the next bit but i am on a writers block!
thankyou for all you help and support!
emily x

* * * * *

They were walking together in a group, a loud, boisterous group. They looked around to find their victim and found it. The quiet girl from maths class, sat right at the back so no one could talk to her. Maria they thought her name was. Never really talked, only if the teacher asked her for the answer but even then you could only barely make out her voice. Whenever you saw her, her head would be looking down at her feet and her long brown hair would be covering her face, like she didn’t want the world to see it.
She was perfect for the job.

“Oy,” the tallest boys shouted. Her head lifted a little just to see who shouted to her.
The group ran up to her and stopped only a couple of feet away from her.
“Can we ask you something,: What's the worst thing that has happened to you? Random I know, but what is it?” the tall boy asked her.
She merely shrugged her shoulders in reply and slowly turned in the opposite direction to head off.
“Wait a sec, Dave do it, come on.” The boy nudged a boy standing next to him.
The boy stared at the girl. For about ten seconds , his eyes looking into hers, or rather around them, as if he had to look at all of her eye.”
“You were kidnapped. Weren't you?” he said.
“You were kidnapped!” the whole group choked.
“How did you find that out?” she asked curiously.
“None of your business.” the boy said
“Wait a sec, you were kidnapped! When….how!” the tall boy shouted out
Their faces were straight. The girl’s eyes were closed but moving.
The group stared, but the two were still.
“You’re a truth seeker aren’t you.?” the girl finally said.
“A what?” he asked.
He stared at her like she thought she was made, but her face had concern.

“Have you been getting any visits in your dreams?” she asked .
“What?”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about” he pleaded.
“Come on Dave. Stop chatting her up,” a different from the group boy laughed.
Dave turned his head and gave them a sarcastic look.
“How did you figure out you could tell when people were lying?” she said getting his attention back
“Um, I dunno really, just started to realise when people lied to me, like when my mate was telling me he had to go to this family reunion, but I could tell he was lying. But then it started to get to the point when I started to tell what they were lying about.”
“Well apart from these guys, who just think I know everything about everyone at this school and the staring thing was suppose to scare you, but then after you tell me all this, it’s more or less you scaring me .”
“Sorry but you have to know about what you are. Well if anyone comes up to you telling you about this or asking you if you have it, don’t.”
“Why, you do realise it’s weird having this.”
“I know what you’re going through.”
“Are you sure you do? And who is going to come up to me and ask me those questions.”
“The people who kidnapped me.”
“What?” he questioned
“Right then.” He said sarcastically “Look ok, don’t take this offensively but how do I know that you aren’t some freak who is able to come up with ridiculous things like that.”
“I’d be some freak.” she laughed
“ye.”
“Ok, well this next part depends on your choice, I think it would be best if my guys saw you for a bit , for just a bit of training and maybe even to see if you have any more powers.
“were would they be would it be far?”
“In another world. Yes are other worlds, groups, and beliefs. Millions actually, with different ways of thinking than the other worlds or groups.”
“Right then, that does make sense.” He said
“It will do soon, and if anything else different happens, tell me ok?”
“Mariella” she replied
"Cool, my names Dave.”
“Right then Dave, remember what I have said, I’ll take you to my guys in a bit, I’ve got to do something important first.”
And with that Mariella turned on her heals and walked away from Dave, leaving him standing alone with confusion and wonder by his side.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:47 am
cooldude19967 wrote a review...

I noticed alot of grammer things in there, and stuff that just didn't make sense, but it seams that you've already had that mentioned to you. I like the storyline, it looks like it could shape into somthing really well done if you keep at it. I found the end a bit confusing. It might help to know whether or not this is a world where magic is known about openly, or if it's a secret.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:41 am
Linx wrote a review...

This is a really good idea you have. To me throughout this post, you kinda rushed it. It all happens very fast, and this "Dave" finds out really fast that he is a "truth seeker". This might just be me, but it might be better to length it out.
Everything else was covered before me, so I have nothing else to say but "good idea"! Keep it going! :D

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:14 am
splash13 wrote a review...

SeleneForeverDream wrote:There are a lot of mistakes, but other than that the story itself is very interesting.

I agree! Personally I'd have liked to get to know the area, situation and characters a little more, I've been told this is good, so maybe that is something you should work on. But it is up to you, if you'd rather introduce your characters gradually, I'm not stopping you. :D

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:18 am
SeleneForeverDream wrote a review...

There are a lot of mistakes, but other than that the story itself is very interesting. Also, have you ever read the Sword of Truth series? Richard is the Seeker in this story, which means he seeks the truth along with Confessors of the Midlands. I shouldn't give away too much, but I highly recommend it. :)

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:44 pm
tay_star92 wrote a review...

Ok i'll correct as I go along!!

whatever1274 wrote:They were walking together in a group, a loud, boisterous group. They looked around to find theretheir victim and found it. The quiet girl from math[s]s[/s] class,run-on Maria they thought her name was. Never really talked, only if the teacher asked her for the answer but even then you could only barleybarely make out her voice. Whenever you saw her, her head would be down looking at her feet and her long brown hair covering her face, like she didn’t want the world to see it. She was perfect for the job.
The group ran up to her quickly and becamewere only a couple of feet away from her.
“Can we ask you something,: What's [s]what’s[/s] the worst thing that has happened to you.? Random I know, but what is it?” the same boy asked her.What same boy a little confusing...
She merely shrugged her shoulders [s]with[/s]in reply and slowly turned in the opposite direction to head off.
“Wait a sec,. Dave do it, come on.” The boy nudged another another...what
The boy then stared at the girl. sentence fragment>For about 10 seconds and kept eye contact with her, his eyes were looking into her eyes but looking all around them as if he had to look at all of her eye.
“You were kidnapped. Weren't [s]weren’t[/s] you?” He said .
“How did you find that out?” she asked curiously and quietly[/b], but with concern.
“None of your business.” The boy said
“Wait a sec, you were kidnapped! When….how!” a boy curiously[b] curiously...

Their faces were straight but the girl’s eyes were closed but moving, like looking inside the boy somehow unexplainable. The group stared, but the two were still.
“You’re a truth seeker aren’t you[s].[/s]?” The girl finally said.
“A what?” He questioned.
“What?”
“I don’t know what you’re [s]on[/s]talking about” pleadedpleaded...
“Come on Dave. Stop chatting her up.” The boy laughed.
“How did you figure out you could tell when people were lying?” she demanded.
“Um, I duno really, just started to realise when people lied to me, like when my mate was telling me he had to go to this family thingyuse a different word besides thingy...its weak but I could tell he was lying. But then it started to get to the point when I started to tell what they were lying about.”
“Well apart from these guys, who just think I know everything about everyone at this school and the staring thing was suppose to scare you .”it seems like you didnt finish the sentence...
“I know what you’re going through.”
“Are you sure you do?[s], and [/s]who is going to come up to me and ask me those questions.”
“The people who kidnapped me.”
“What?” he questioned
“Yes there are actually other worlds, groups, and beliefs. Millions actually, with different ways of thinking than the other worlds or groups.”
“Right then, that does make sense.” He said sarcastically.
“It will do soon, and by the way if anything else like being a truth seeker happens, tell me ok?”
“Mariella” she replyedreplied
"Cool, my names Dave.”
“Cool.”

Ok so its a pretty decent story. It seems like you rushed at the end though. You might wanna go bakc and rewrite the whole explanation because its a littke weak. The story is a bit confusing but i'm sure it will make more sense once you post the rest. I hope i wasn't too harsh :smt059 !!!!

MUCH LOV3!!!!

~* gR3ATN3SS iS m3ASUR3D bY yOU*~

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 pm
Sureal wrote a review...

First thing first: just so you know, YWS has a 2:1 rule. That is to say, for every one story/poem you post up, should first write two reviews. This helps to keep everything fair and balanced, and ensures that there are enough reviews to go around. =)

It'd be much appreciated if you posted a few reviews as soon as possible.

Okay then, onto the actual review:

They looked around to find there victim and found it.

-- There = their.

Remember:

-- They’re = short for ‘they are’.
-- There = for locations. Remember this by comparing it to the word ‘here’; it’s ‘here’ with a T on the beginning.
-- Their = plural possessive (a group of people own something).

Never really talked, only if the teacher asked her for the answer, but even then you could only barley make out her voice.

-- You need a comma where I’ve added that bolded one in.

-- Barley = barely. =)

Whenever you saw her, her head would be down looking at her feet and her long brown hair would be covering her face, like she didn’t want the world to see it.

-- Swap ‘down’ and ‘looking’ around, so it’s: ‘looking down at her feet’. It reads easier that way. =)

-- To make this sentence syntactically correct, you’d need another ‘would be’ where I’ve added the bold one in.

She was perfect for the job.

-- I can see you want to place an emphasis on this line, simply because of how short it is. Personally, I’d recommend separating it from the last paragraph, and make it a new paragraph, on its own.

“Oy,” one of the boys shouted.

-- Need a comma where I’ve bolded on in.

-- Check out this guide on dialogue grammar.

-- Regarding ‘quickly’: delete it. Too many adverbs (words that describe actions) generally weaken prose writing. Delete all the ones you can. In this case, ‘quickly’ isn’t really needed, as we already know they’re moving quickly. (After all, it’s not like they ran slowly. ;))

-- Regarding ’became: Odd choice of words. I don’t think ‘became’ is really the one you’re looking for. Maybe ‘stopped’?

“The group ran up to her and stopped only a couple of feet away from her.”

“Can we ask you something, what’s the worst thing that has happened to you. Random I know, but what is it?”

-- That comma and period shouldn’t be a comma and period. They should both be a question mark. =)

-- Again, an unusual word choice. Methinks ‘as a’ would work better than ‘with’.

“Wait a sec, Dave do it, come on.” The boy nudged another.

-- The bolded commas shouldn’t be a comma. When each individual part of a sentence could be its own sentence (as is the case here), then they should be. So, this should read: “Wait a sec. Dave do it, come on.”

-- You also need a period at the end. Remember: all sentence should end with wither a period, a question mark, or an exclamation mark.

The boy then stared at the girl. For about 10 seconds and kept eye contact with her, his eyes were looking into her eyes

-- First: delete the ‘then’. It’s not needed, and detracts from the sentence.

-- Second: delete the first period. The second sentence doesn’t work without the first part also.

-- Third: never use numerical numbers in stories. Also write out the numbers. So: ‘ten’, rather than ‘10’.

-- Fourth: Delete ‘and kept eye contact with her’, because you’ve already told us that. You don’t need to tell us again. ;)

-- Fifth: change ‘were looking’ into simply ‘looking’, and ‘her eyes’ into simply ‘hers’.

“The boy stared at the girl for about ten seconds, his eyes looking into hers”

See how much clearer you can make it by deleting unnecessary words?

but looking all around them as if he had to look at all of her eye.

-- This doesn’t flow naturally from the past sentence. You say that he’s looking into her eyes, but then immediately say that he’s looking all around them instead. You’ll need to modify this a bit for it to really gel. I recommend something like:

“or rather around them, as if he had to look at all of her eye.”

So altogether it’d read:

“The boy stared at the girl for about ten seconds, his eyes looking into hers, or rather around them, as if he had to look at all of her eye.”

“You were kidnapped, weren’t you?” He said.

-- You need a comma and a period were I’ve bolded them in.

-- ‘He’ shouldn’t be capitalised. It should just be ‘he’.

-- ‘chocked’ = ‘choked’. =)

-- Delete at least one of these adverbs (‘curiously’ or ‘quietly’). You don’t need so many.

“None of your business.The boy said.

-- The first period should be a comma, and ‘the’ shouldn’t be capitalised.

-- You need a period at the end. Remember: all sentences need a period, question mark or exclamation mark.

“Wait a sec, you were kidnapped! When….how!” a boy curiously.

-- First: you’re missing a ‘said’.

-- Second: delete the adverb (curiously). It’s not needed. He’s asking a question, so we already know he’s curious.

-- Third: You’re missing a period at the end again.

Their faces were straight but the girl’s eyes were closed but moving, like looking inside the boy somehow unexplainable.

-- Their faces were straight? As opposed to being curvy? I think you’re after a different word here.

-- You used but twice in one sentence. That’s a no-no. Change your wording to something like:

“Their faces were straight. The girl’s eyes were closed but moving,”

-- The entire bolded part at the end makes no grammatical sense whatsoever. It needs major editing, I’m afraid.

“You’re a truth seeker aren’t you.The girl finally said.

-- The period should be a question mark.

-- The T in ‘the’ shouldn’t be capitalised.

“A what?” He questioned.

-- The ‘he’ shouldn’t be capitalised.

-- You need a period at the end where I’ve bolded one in.

-- ‘Questioned’ is an unusual word to choose. ‘Asked’ makes more sense.

“Have you been getting any visits in your dreams?” she asked.

-- Period where I’ve bolded one in.

“I don’t know what you’re on about,pleaded.

-- First: you need a comma where I’ve bolded one in.

-- Second: missing out a ‘he’.

-- Third: period at the end where I’ve bolded one in.

“Come on Dave, stop chatting her up.The boy laughed.

-- First: the first period should be a comma.

-- Second: the capital T in The should be a small t.

-- Third: you need a period at the end where I’ve bolded one in.

-- Fourth: you should make it clear that this is a different boy to the one she’s talking too. Say something like, ‘a different boy laughed’, rather than ‘they boy’.

-- Change ‘demanded’ to ‘said’. Said is a great word. It’s substitutes (asked, demanded, etc.) should be used sparingly, because overusing them weakens your dialogue.

-- You need a period at the end, where I’ve bolded one in.

“Um, I duno really,

-- ‘duno’ = ‘dunno’.

“What?” he questioned.

-- Change ‘questioned’ to ‘asked’.

-- Need a period at the end, where I’ve bolded one in.

“Right then, that does make sense.He said sarcastically.

-- First period should be a comma, and the capital H should be a small h.

-- Delete ‘sarcastically’. What he just said isn’t sarcasm. Sarcasm would be saying something like, “Yeah, that makes sense.”

“Mariella,” she replyed.

-- Comma where I’ve bolded one in.

-- Period where I’ve bolded one in.

-- ‘replyed’ = ‘replied’.

-------------------

Okay, first off, I’m about to teach you the golden rule of writing. This is an important rule, one all writers have to obey, and it really will help your writing an unbelievable amount:

Proofread, proofread, proofread.

It’s obvious you wrote this in a single, inspired, frantic sitting, and posted it onto YWS without proofreading it.

This is bad. Don’t do this.

You have loads of silly mistakes - parts that don’t make sense, loads of missing periods, a few missing words, etc. And it detracts from your story ever oh so much. You should always proofread. Always.

Okay, onto the actual story: it’s an interesting idea, and I hope you carry on developing it. I’ve always been a sucker for stories about people with secret, magical talents, so this is right up my alley.

But pay attention to your dialogue. It starts off fine, but then ends badly. When Dave says, “Ok, now you’re going to tell me now there are other world and all that jazz ye?” you destroyed my suspension of disbelief. It simply wouldn’t occur to someone to say something like that just because he’s discovered that there are people that can read minds. It’s obvious you only had him say that so you could shoehorn that piece of information in, as it’s not a natural thing to say. My advice would be to cut this bit out, and to introduce this information later on in the story.

But apart from the above gripes, like I said, it’s an interesting idea. I hope you carry on working on it. =)

-- Sureal

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria