z

Young Writers Society


12+

get back up

by Hijinks


they all tell me
to
get back up. 

but to myself i think
how can i?

after all

i've been
trodden on
by
anger's hooves

drowned
by
sorrow's tear

crushed
by
pride's fist

even joy usually so kind
 has deserted me
deafening me with her laughter.

and they expect a corpse
to rise from the dead?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 128
Reviews: 18

Donate
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:40 pm
Taslimalima wrote a review...



it is a review.
hmm good one. to live anyway..no matter how sad or hard or painful or irritating this life..is not it? ;)
rise from dead....if we take all pains as humor and our tears is the rain than, one day, yes one day a lovely daisy will bloom and smile at the shiny sun and will kiss your path...be positive dude...good luck




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2872
Reviews: 62

Donate
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58 am
View Likes
AliceinBluue wrote a review...



Wow, this is amazing. I really like the style of the poem, it is simply brilliant. The short stanzas and lines make it really easy to understand what the narrator is talking about, for the reader to really empathize with what the narrator is going through.

The only thing i would nitpick on is the trodden on part. You break up the rhythm of the poem there with the longer first line and the same length second and third lines.

Other than that, this was great, an enrapturing read all around. The last two stanzas where you break up the rhythm a little bit to show the reader just how empty the narrator feels was just, wow.
-Alice




Hijinks says...


Thanks so much!



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:49 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hi there!

I want to start by saying that I like the last stanza a lot. The start talks about getting back up when you fall, which is typical advice you get about, well, any setback, really. But the last stanza

and they expect a corpse
to rise from the dead?


It's so much more concrete, literal, powerful. It's sort of a "well, that escalated quickly" kind of thing but without the humor. It really drives home the point that the narrator has not just fallen but fallen so badly that there is no recovery.

I'm confused by this line, however.

even joy has deserted me


I think it's the even. Because if the narrator is being pummeled by all these negative emotions, I kind of feel like "Well, of course joy has deserted them." But the word "even" seems to suggest that I should be surprised by this. You could probably just cut the "even" and leave the rest of the line intact.

Image




Hijinks says...


Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1912
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:43 pm
View Likes
ardentlyThieving wrote a review...



Hey hey, Ardently! here for a quick review between exams!!!

Ooooh I'm a fan of this! It's a concept that gets used a lot in poems, but you did a good job of putting a fresh twist on it.

I like the format here, I think it works really nicely. One little quibble, two of your stanzas go verb by noun, but then the other goes "i've been trodden on" which doesn't really fit. I feel like if you made it just "trodden" on that line and put the "I've been" in a different stanza, maybe with a little added on, I'm not sure what though, it would flow a bit better. Rule of three and all that.

But that's really my one complaint here, like I said you showed the theme of despair really well. Like, you had some really nice imagery and metaphors in here that made this, maybe not 'enjoyable' to read considering the subject matter, but made it quite interesting to read.

~ Ardently! <3 ~




Hijinks says...


Thanks for the input! I'm glad you like it :)




Irresponsibly-conceived assignments don't deserve responsibly-executed complies.
— Persistence