z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

1- b u t t e r c u p

by wh1plash


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

" ... but as my heart seems to fade ,

I wish someone was to aid

For this will never weep nor pray I won’t love, ever again. ”

As I finished presenting, the class went silent. My classmates were silent as I went straight to my seat, confused and somewhat shocked, I saw others with mouths open. Mr. Morgan broke the silence with a chuckle. “Not bad Mr.Kady, never knew you had a thing for romance.” he looked at me and smiled. I looked at him as he called the next student. This was English class, with a theme of : Romance in a poetry. It was kind of cheesy at first but when you kind of put yourself into a poem, the poem becomes you and it’s up to the world to accept or hate you.

The bell rang and I got up. Mr. Morgan called me out and I went to his desk, he slowly puts out a paper from the corner of the table and handed it to me. My poem.

“Can I ask you something?“ he took off his glasses and looked up. It’s about the poem. ’”Yes sir?” I replied paying the attention to his glasses and back to him. “It’s about your poem.” Bingo, he likes it. “What title would you name this piece?” Oh he’s expecting me to say a cheesy title like “Hurt” or “Broken” . ” I thought you’d give it a name of something unfortunate like “Hurt or something like-” I cut him off. “Buttercup. I’ll name that Buttercup.” I gave him a smile and he just stared right back. He was wearing this white long sleeved polo and black pants, his hair was black and sweat ran down through his forehead. I chuckled a bit, and bid goodbye. I can hear his thoughts. “Odd one. Yet creative.” I can hear them. As I went out of the room the usual noise was up but my head was noisier. People’s thoughts are coming in and out of my head. It was uncomfortable yet I try to stay put.

Ever since I was a kid I kept hearing noises in my head, I never thought that they were the inner thoughts or even desires. I really thought that I can be some super hero or something, but it turns out these echoes can also do harm not only to the surroundings but to my well being as well. But it was really special, I did not know if there are more people like me, but I guess its really rare to find one.

The couple in the corner the girl wearing a pink top and white skirt, hair blonde and chewing gum, she’s cheating with three to five guys while talking to his third boyfriend giving him some hint she wants to make out later on. The boy on my right wants to ask his crush out, he already prepared the flowers all he needs is a little confidence. I smiled at him and gave him a thumbs up, he smiled back. The next thing I saw was the football team, and the head captain was gay.

I walked calmly to my next class. “Brauelle is here!” Exclaimed through my head and the next thing I saw was Lily. She walked next to me and tapped my shoulder. “Brauelle!” she exclaimed.

“Oh, its you.” I replied and continued walking, she comes along. “Guess were in the next class then huh?” I nodded. She kept on talking and I just replied bits to her. Lily really had pretty eyes, ocean blue and black hair, it really matched her personality, she was cheerful and outgoing. There were three of us, Lily, me and Prince, except he’s taken the day off for who-knows-what-he’s-doing reason. The only two people I can trust and honestly since we were kids I know how much of a weirdo they are but they never let me down, Lily was always there for me she’s the Hermione in this non-existent Harry Potter world of our little friendship. Except what she’s wearing is the complete opposite. She had checkered skirt and some patterned top and a text that said all over the shirt ” I am me.” and she wore this black bonnet and flats. Even though I’m a boy, she’s a total disaster but I just shrugged it off, she was cool.

We sat together in Science class and to be honest she was really helping me out on this biology class, I was just sitting there being bored and all. I kept hearing things like

“Lily is so hot, who the fuck is the douche?”

" I wish I could sit next to Lily.”

“This is so boring.”

“Why was Science ever invented I mean, come on.”

“Is water even wet?”

I was dumbfounded hearing those thoughts. I never really knew Lily was popular with the boys her fashion sense was a ruin. All the noise in my head stopped when the rain started. That’s weird, I never had the chance to silence my brain and it got me thinking. Is the rain pouring backwards? Aren’t the drops a bit slow than usual? My thoughts dropped when I heard something, or someone.

“Psst. Psst.” I turned back and saw her, her eyes were in mysterious dark black and deeper than the ocean, her silky hair with red and black color, it wasn’t maroon it wasn’t red nor black alone, you can see the redness when it hits the lights. She had a light eyeshadow which complemented her eyes, she painted her nails with black and violet that complemented her clothes. She was wearing a checkered red and black jacket with a black shirt. Looks like someone died, I thought. She smiled at us and I couldn’t stop staring at her.

“Hey, can you guys tell me what kind of plant is this?” She pointed out something from the book, she has a soft voice, funny I thought. “Oh that’s an aloe vera, have you never seen one?” Lily asked. She chuckled covering her nose “Oh right! I forgot what they were called, thanks Lily.”

Lily and I turned back in front as I noticed something was completely off. “What the fu--” I mouthed. Who is she? Where did she come from? Did Lily know her? When did she arrive? Does she even go here? The thing that really bugged me off was the fact that-

I can’t read her mind.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 156

Donate
Sun May 27, 2018 12:37 pm
KatjaDawn wrote a review...



Hey wh1plash! I'm gonna jump right into the review, but please feel free to disregard any comments or suggestions I make. With that being said, let's get to the review.

What I liked:

but it turns out these echoes can also do harm not only to the surroundings but to my well being as well.
I like that this thought in the main character's mind puts a limit to their ability. It wouldn't make sense if they could just have the ability with no repercussions, which is all too common in ill-written stories. You did a great job with this throughout the story.

I also really enjoyed the fact that the main character is not able to read Lily's mind. This is a good start to the plot and can be taken in many different directions. It helps give the writer room to keep the story going to answer, why? how? and more about this new character's back story, etc.

On another note...

“Is water even wet?”


Yep that sounds like something kids in school would think. That honestly cracked me up!

My Suggestions:

As I finished presenting, the class went silent. My classmates were silent as I went straight to my seat, confused and somewhat shocked, I saw others with mouths open.


These sentences feel repetitive as you explained an action of the character using "As I" twice, and also "silent" twice in two back to back sentences. I would somehow witch up the wording in these two sentences to feel less repetitive.

The bell rang and I got up. Mr. Morgan called me out and I went to his desk


This doesn't feel like a complete understanding of what is going on. Perhaps: "The bell rang and I got up. Mr. Morgan called out my name before I could reach the door, so I walked over to his desk." Purely my opinion, of course.

Ever since I was a kid I kept hearing noises in my head,

"could" hear voices/noises in my head.


I never thought that they were the inner thoughts or even desires. I really thought that I can be some super hero or something,

"could"

The couple in the corner the girl wearing a pink top and white skirt, hair blonde and chewing gum, she’s cheating with three to five guys while talking to his third boyfriend giving him some hint she wants to make out later on.


This is a run-on sentence. It would help to separate it into different sentences. Sometimes it is easy to keep writing as we are in the process, but it may help to read it over and think about whether or not the sentence should be combined together with so much information. There were a few others but I won't specifically point them out.

Lastly, when you use dialogue, and it changes to a different character, you should put the new dialogue into a separate paragraph. Here's a useful website on using dialogue in stories, and will help explain it in depth so I don't write too much in this review.
https://firstmanuscript.com/format-dialogue/

Overall opinion:

I'm hooked! I'll be keeping my eyes open for the next chapter. I'm eager to find out more about this Lily character and more of the main-characters backstory. You've got a very good story written here thus far. I'm excited to see where you take this!

Keep Writing,

-Katja




User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello! A warm welcome to YWS for you ^^

I'll start off with some grammatical and specific suggestions/comments.

My classmates were silent as I went straight to my seat, confused and somewhat shocked, I saw others with mouths open.


So, the first thing that I noticed when reading the piece was that is was a little difficult to read. There wasn't a very good flow, which may be attributed to some grammatical confusion. In the quote above, specifically, I found it difficult to understand if the "confused and somewhat shocked" was a modifier of the classmates or the narrator. The comma splice left it kind of ambiguous.

What I believe you were going for was to have a period between that phrase and the sentence with the narrator seeing them with their mouths open rather than a comma. This is what's known as a comma splice. Essentially, that is when a comma is placed in between two independent clauses -- or two phrases than are their entirely own sentences -- without the use of a conjunction joining them. This messes up the flow of writing since readers would be expecting more of a pause with a period. So, when you're writing, think about the commas you're placing and if a period would be better suited. Ask yourself, "Can these two phrases stand on their own and still make sense?" If so, use a period.

This was English class, with a theme of : Romance in a poetry.


There are a few instances that I saw where there would be a space between punctuation and the word before it. This should not be the case. Also, this sentence doesn't need a colon. In order to put a colon, the phrase before the colon should be independent, or it should be able to stand on its own. For example, "Get the following things from the grocery store for me: lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes."

So if you wanted this phrase to use a colon, you could reword it as such: "This was English class with the a unique theme: romance in poetry."

It was kind of cheesy at first but when you kind of put yourself into a poem, the poem becomes you and it’s up to the world to accept or hate you.


Since this is meant to be a story that is written in the first person, past tense, it seems a little odd and out of place to have a sentence that directly references the reader. If this were something consistent throughout the rest of the story and helped to develop the voice of the narrator, it might be able to work, but because it is in one isolated place, it's a little odd. Try to be aware of this.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that typically, things don't need to be repeated. In the third paragraph, I like how the narrator "predicts" what the teacher wants to talk to him about and then his reaction. It gives him voice and character, but later on things don't need to continue to be repeated between narration and dialogue. It's redundant and repetitive. This is just generally helpful advice, since if an event just happens, the characters do not need to rehash that event that just occurred.

I can hear his thoughts. “Odd one. Yet creative.” I can hear them.


Once again, this is repetitive to say he can hear the teacher's thoughts twice. I'd just recommend to cut them out. Also, as we find out in a bit that the narrator can actually hear the thoughts, this part was a little ambiguous. Since we had no indication of anything not realistic yet, I had assumed it as a sarcastic "I can totally hear his thoughts now..." rather than literal. It caught me off guard.

The couple in the corner the girl wearing a pink top and white skirt, hair blonde and chewing gum, she’s cheating with three to five guys while talking to his third boyfriend giving him some hint she wants to make out later on.


Occasionally, there are really confusing sentences that I can get the general idea of, but they're a little bit overladen with irrelevant details and are confusing in structure. Try to read your writing out loud so that you can hear if something doesn't sound natural, which means it doesn't flow well. This sentence is also a comma splice, as mentioned before, so be aware of that.

Here's a possible suggestion: "There was a couple in the corner. The blonde haired girl smacking her gum was cheating on him with three to five guys. The guy was her third boyfriend and, even still, she was giving him hints she wanted to make out later on."

I never really knew Lily was popular with the boys. Her fashion sense was a ruin.


Once again, a period was missing, so I went ahead and added it (shown in bold). However, I found this detail a little bit odd because if this guy can read minds and just happens to hear people's thoughts, how had he never heard any thoughts like this before? Especially if it's more than one boy. This just struck me as odd, since the piece gives a rather conflicting image of Lily.

“Psst. Psst.” I turned back and saw her, her eyes were in mysterious dark black and deeper than the ocean, her silky hair with red and black color, it wasn’t maroon it wasn’t red nor black alone, you can see the redness when it hits the lights.


Be very careful about run-on sentences. This is very similar to comma splices, except they're typically a lot longer. This sentence is rather confusing since it's also contradictory, and when I first read it, I had no idea who the "her" the narrator was referring to. This might be considered "the pronoun" game, which is difficult to execute because I just thought the narrator was describing Lily again and didn't quite understand it was someone else who had appeared. So, my recommendation is to try to condense sentences to make the points and important details stand out to the reader so it's very clear.

I can’t read her mind.


Final thing, be careful about tense changes. Occasionally, the piece would slip in and out of past tense, so try to comb through it and catching anything that is accidentally present. That's something you should worry about more in editing and proof-reading after the writing.

Final kind of technical thing -- when you're formatting dialogue, every time there is a new speaker, the dialogue should start its own paragraph. So it would look as follows:

"Hello, Fred. How are you?" Jorge asked.

"I'm great," Fred said. "How about yourself?"

That was very simplified, but it illustrates the point I'm trying to make.

So, conceptually, I like the idea behind your story. I think you've got a strong set up and you've given the reader some inkling of an idea of what the conflict and further plot could be. It's certainly revolving around this girl. As well, I think the main character has a strong voice that shines through the narration and that makes it much more interesting to read. So I applaud you on that.

However, the final thing I'd like to mention is especially in regards to building the world and the powers of this character. You might have heard this advice in many different forms and in a lot of different ways but it is so, so important. It typically helps to show instead of tell. Sometimes telling is necessary and unavoidable, but it is often more powerful to illustrate the ideas and concepts instead of simply talking about it.

For instance, the paragraph that says "I've had these powers since I was a kid" is a lot of telling, but it would be so much more effective to simply show the powers, like is done later on in the paragraph, demonstrating the thoughts he can hear from people. Instead of telling about what he discovered, show it. Show how it works.

This ended up being a little more lengthy than I thought, but I see a lot of potential and this and I just wanted to give the advice that really helped me when I was developing my style. You have a great start, a good idea, and lots of improvement ahead of you. Don't be discouraged and if you want any more explanation/help, feel free to contact me. My inbox is always open! ^^

Best of luck~

Wolfe




wh1plash says...


thank you so much for these!!




I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson