z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Wishful

by watercolours


Sometimes

I look for lost loved ones

in the eyes of others

as if

they didn't leave

and rather

just went for a swim

in someone's gaze

-s.k


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 45
Reviews: 5

Donate
Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:44 pm
View Likes
miablue24 wrote a review...



This poem is sweet and short, which is my favorite!!

I feel like there's a lot to dissect considering it's a short poem. It contains a very deep meaning that many people could relate to.

My favorite part is : (As if they didn't leave, just went for a swim in someone's gaze.) Again, considering how short this is, THIS sentence alone truly means so much. I feel like it's tough for some writers to put a lot of deep meaning and emotion into a small space but you really captured it perfectly! Amazing job:)




watercolours says...


thank you! ^^



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 266
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:40 am
Logan15 wrote a review...



Wow. I feel really called out by this because I do this a lot. It's a simple poem, but it has the ability to get its point across really easily despite this. I love the metaphor in it. Some people might say that you should add more detail, but I personally think that it's already really good. I've read it quite a few times, and I love it more each time!
You're doing great!
Have a wonderful day/night!




watercolours says...


Thank you so much! I didn't expect my first post to get this much attention. I wrote this sort of spontaneously one day alongside my other writings. I am very glad you are able to relate and thank you again for your feedback ^^



Logan15 says...


You're really talented! Especially if you just wrote of this spontaneously!



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 2904
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:25 pm
Coffeewriter wrote a review...



OML, isn’t it uncanny that I always thought like this?! I haven’t lost anyone in my life(that is close to me) YET but god’s mercy but I always do this whenever I miss someone-that is always-my family live away from me, except from my mum and dad so I always miss them. It’s sad how we all live on Earth but we can’t always see the people we love or cherish, we can’t always know where someone we care about IS we can’t always know if a loved one is safe or not. And after we die? That’s worse than hell, in my opinion. Whether you’ve lost your child, sibling, parent/s, grandparents, relatives, friends-anyone. You don’t know if they’re safe, happy, even able to move, think-remember YOU. You don’t know what has happened to them.
Are they in a deep, deep sleep?
Some people like sleeping but honestly, it’s terrifying to think someone would sleep for eternity-engulfed in darkness with no concept of time or space. It’s terrifying to think we might end up like that, what would you do if the person you loved most was like that when they die? That’s chilling to the bone. But we can’t escape death.
Are they in heaven or worse…hell(whether it be any religion-heaven-happy place-hell-place you never want to go)??
Despite us humans having so many different religions and beliefs, it’s impossible in this generation to understand what happens to us when we die! It may be impossible in the future too. Guaranteed there IS a future. We can’t even take care of our own population and our own, only chance of survival-Earth. Sorry I’m rambling back to the topic! There are Greeks, Indians, Christians, Catholics, Hindus, Sikhs so many!! But, whatever our beliefs are-heaven and hell or the belief shared among many. That there is no heaven and hell. Then there is even the possibility of rebirth! Your loved one could even turn into an ant! Or a lion in their next life! The summary of this huge rant is:We should cherish every single second as much as we can. Live in the moment, chase your dreams. Do the right thing, hell even eat what you want, wear what you want, take care of yourself! Enjoy your life!
We must love, live and accept. We must be positive and cheerful, get good grades and live life. We never know in reality what will happen to us. That is reality.
Oof. I think I went a bit overboard there-apologies for being so depressing but I have very strong opinions on life and politics equally and it feels nice to get them out!! Also, I think it’s not that depressing since this whole review is describing how we should love life and live in the moment. Thank you so much for reading and have a good day/night!!




watercolours says...


Thank you for your review!
In regard to sleeping, I always thought of it as practicing death, temporarily so. The way we slip into unconsciousness every night is eerily similar to the way that some people leave this world in such a calm but chilling manner. I guess that's why they say "Rest in peace". We are, quite literally, resting eternally. Well, our bodies are. It depends on your beliefs about the afterlife, but that's a whole other rabbit hole that I won't delve into here! You seem like an incredibly open-minded person, and I think you have the potential to see the world from a much more philosophical standpoint. Happy writing!
Thanks again ^^
-s.k



Coffeewriter says...


Thank you @watercolours!! You flatter me! Happy Writing:)



User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 2601
Reviews: 35

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:53 pm
View Likes
Moonlily wrote a review...



Hello, I Enjoyed this Poem as many others said it's short and sweet. You can feel the aching of loss within mixed with a sense of hope in such a soft way. Swimming In someone's eyes is a great metaphor that can convey so much. Forgive me it is a little hard to give feedback for a very short poem. My biggest issue is that even though it is as short as needs to be I would LOVE to see you tackle these themes deeper after reading this.



All around some great work keeps creating even when it gets hard.




watercolours says...


Thank you! I do have longer poems I may consider posting. Writing is my catharsis, and it has been a pleasure reading your review ^^
-s.k



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 1403
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:40 am
View Likes
APoltergeist wrote a review...



Hello watercolours, nice to see someone who puts a ‘u’ in the word colours haha! I don’t typically review poetry simply because of how abstract it is, which makes it difficult for me but I decided to review this!

This piece packs a lot of emotion in such a small amount of words and tugs delightfully at my heartstrings, since this is something I’ve felt before that you have put perfectly into words. The only little error I notice off the top of my head is that depending on how it’s read, a comma could be put after others so instead of;

in the eyes of others


it could be;
in the eyes of others,



Of course this is just a nitpicky suggestion based off personal preference, as this work is very good and enjoyable.

Your friendly neighborhood ghost,
Poltergeist




User avatar
142 Reviews


Points: 1992
Reviews: 142

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:25 am
View Likes
looseleaf wrote a review...



Hey watercolours! looseleaf here with her first review of 2024 (yikes).

I must say I loved this poem! It was short and sweet, but I think you conveyed a beautiful image and story. I love how you organized it and the short sentences/phrases you used. It makes for a succinct and straight-to-the-point poem that can still be read a multitude of ways.

I look for lost loved ones

in the eyes of others


I love these two lines! It is open to interpretation (in a way). I guess one way you could read it is that you're seriously looking for the image of a loved one in someone's eyes as if they're trapped behind a colorful pane of glass. However, I first read it as more of a familiarity thing, as if you're walking through a crowd and seeing aspects of your loved ones in everyone. It doesn't necessarily have to be one's eyes (although it can be, and I think your choice of that body part is perfect), but the way someone walks, their smile, their height, etc.

Basically, despite your specific and concise phrasing, your poem is open to some interpretation.

they didn't leave


I love your word choice here. I like how you didn't say "they didn't die," or "they didn't pass away," etc. It lets readers derive more meaning from it. This poem doesn't have to be about someone who died (although that's how I interpreted it); it could be a childhood friend who you lost touch with, or a sibling who moved out of the house.

just went for a swim

in someone's gaze


I love this metaphor! It's so... *chefs kiss*. One nitpick I have is that "gaze" doesn't seem like the right word to me. I read "someone's gaze" as what someone is looking at as if the lost person is swimming in a pool someone is gazing at. I'm not quite sure what the right word would be, but that's the one thing I was stumped on in this poem. You don't have to change it if you don't want to!

Well, that's my two cents! I really loved reading this poem and can't want to read more of your work. Have a great day!




Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:39 pm
FelixMwiya says...



It is a nice poem actually. Can you emphasize on perfect rhymes. keep writing more poems. You have great potential




Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:38 pm
FelixMwiya says...



It is a nice poem actually. Can you emphasize on perfect rhymes. keep writing more poems. You have great potential





When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind