Cold love

by vines-of-beauty

As I sit alone in a dark room, with nothing to look at but my ripped arms. And my lonely heart of stone.
I did love him, I did.
I loved him with all my heart, my cold empty heart.
He loves me, he’s got the world at his fingertips; and me at his palm.
Does he know that I lay awake waiting for my heart to love him again. A story that lies beneath my heart, of him and a embarrass.
People say that they know what I go throw, they have no idea...
My heart feels like a hundred pounds, yet my soul doesn’t feel like anything.
Crying with the strength that’s left, I begin to wonder; why am I crying for him.
Isn’t it my fault were like this, aren’t I the one who stopped our hearts from growing together, forming into one?
Like an eagle to a storm, and fire to a burning tree.
I ended the most beautiful thing, more beautiful then a sunset, more beautiful then anything.
I have to fight to find another love, but this one I could have for free.

Wed May 21, 2008 2:57 am
October Girl wrote a review...

Hello, the name of this poem drew me in right away I HAD to read it. But I disliked how it ended. The last stanza was hard to read and I was confoused but the best thing to do is to put your emotion out there and let people feel what you feel and for me. I just wasn't getting it. Hope this wasn't too harsh, good luck writing! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
-Max

Eimear wrote a review...

Hey, I think I've reviewed some of your other works? I see real potiental in them. But, a writer's work is never done haha, there are a few areas for improvement in this:

As I sit alone in a dark room, with nothing to look at but my ripped arms. And my lonely heart of stone. (Heart of stone. Can you think of a better metaphore? This one's lost most of it's meaning from overuse)

I did love him, I did. (Good repetition)I loved him with all my heart, my cold, empty heart. (I added a comma there)

He loves me, he’s got the world at his fingertips; and me at his palm.(Great!)

Does he know that I lay awake waiting for my heart to love him again. A story that lies beneath my heart, of him and a embarrass. (Not really sure what you're trying to say)

People say that they know what I go throw, they have no idea...(Should be through)

Isn’t it my fault were like this, aren’t I the one who stopped our hearts from growing together, forming into one?(Awkward phrasing here)

Like an eagle to a storm, and fire to a burning tree.(Good)

I ended the most beautiful thing, more beautiful then a sunset, more beautiful then anything.(Again, good development- but you need better metaphores and similies)

I have to fight to find another love, but this one I could have for free. (Good ending)

So hopefully this might help. Good job on the poetry, anyway. Looking forward to reading more.

Hope and Best Wishes,

Eimear xx

vet4life13 wrote a review...

Hello! You reviewed my poem, so I thought I'd review one of yours.

First, some nit piks.

my ripped arms

This is a pretty intense line.

"And me at his palm" doesn't sound quite right. Maybe "And me IN his palm."

Does he know that I lay awake waiting for my heart to love him again.

There should be a question mark at the end of this sentence.

of him and a embarrass.

Ok, a few things with this sentence: First, I don't really understand it. An embarrass? Anyway, "a" should be "an".

This should be "People say they know what I go through, they have no idea...

why am I crying for him.

Were should be we're.

beautiful then anything.

Should be than.

I could've had for free.

Love this line, but it probably should be "A storm to an eagle."

Overall, this is a pretty good poem. You probably should space it out a little more, though. Definitely keep writing!!!

Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:31 am
casey_kent wrote a review...

You HAVE to put this in stanzas or something. If you don't, it's like a big boring chunk of words and people won't like it.

I can feel the pain in this poem but maybe you can try expanding it a little and limiting your figures of speech because it's too emo that it's not nice to read anymore if you know what I mean.

Overall, it was nice, but not that exciting to read.

--casey_kent

Aedomir wrote a review...

Hiya!

A story that lies beneath my heart, of him and a embarrass.

The last bit didn't make sense, I liked that ine aside frm the fact it was horribly long.

Yes...

The structure and the puntuation wrecked it for me. I didn't find myself being compelled from it because of the long lines. I think it has moved away from the 'dramtic writing' and the poetry is great.

Just the structure, change it!

~D'Aedomir~

I think you need to fix the line/stanza structure. Right now it's just a jumble of words that is very difficult to read.

Also, I thought it was a little cliched. Lines like "the world at his fingertips" and "more beautiful than a sunset" are used so much that they add nothing to the piece. Try using some more interesting imagery that is specific to the situation.

At the moment, this reads more like you are telling us how you felt, which doesn't engage the reader. Instead, use original words and sensory description to show us the love and the pain. Love is a very difficult subject to write about (as it lends itself to vagueness and cliches), but if you focus in and create more detail, this could become much better.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:23 am
darkcloud says...

I see the pain in the poem, I see how much the poet had been in love, but felt the pain was still too much for the entwining bond.

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory