z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence Mature Content

Why do I have to love you? (Denise’s song) (reprise)

by vampricone6783


*A song from my “Town of Richardson” stories. You can check out the connecting stories under my folder “Town of Richardson”. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall. Enjoy!*

Why do I have to love you?

You never were the best

So why must I love you?


It’s not my fault you were stupid.

It’s not my fault you were easily killed.


So why must I love you?

You deserved every bit of what he gave you.

You mean nothing to me.

You never did, dear Gabriel.

I don’t have to love you

Because you deserved this


So goodbye, Gabriel

Because I

N E V E R  L O V E D  Y O U


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 2385
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:46 pm
View Likes
Mint wrote a review...



The phrasing of you never were the best reminds me of Ultraviolence Era Lana Del Rey.

“ It’s not my fault you were stupid.

It’s not my fault you were easily killed.”

I like that these lines give us an idea of what happened to Gabriel. He was stupid and easily killed. That can be a complex feeling to articulate, the anger at him for getting himself killed despite the obvious sorrow they’re trying not to feel. It’s easier to convince themself that they never lived him.

“You mean nothing to me.

You never did, dear Gabriel.”

I like the co treat of you mean nothing to me and “dear Gabriel”. The singer is trying very hard to cope with the complex feelings of intimacy that shouldn’t have been taken from her. There can be a part of her mind that knows it’s over and done and she shouldn’t have cared about him anyway but now there are all these feelings she’ll never get to resolve. So she’s stuck singing them.

I very much get the idea that she doesn’t realize what she’s saying isn’t mutually exclusive. You can have loved him and still think he got what was coming to him. And does she even believe that or is that just what’s she’s telling herself so it’s easier to move on?

Lovely piece. There are a lot of good elements here in such a short song.




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 2904
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:54 pm
View Likes
Coffeewriter wrote a review...



This is beautiful even if I don’t know the story! The woman is in a state of confusion but in a state of realisation and guilt too, this short piece of carefully thought out text perfectly captures and summarises the emotions of what that character must be feeling. Why must she love someone who never treated her right? Why must she loved someone who was deserving of the fate he was given? She doesn’t need to, she isn’t indebted to him at all.




User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:10 pm
View Likes
IBBI says...



Very Elizabethan, fine choice.





Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak