16+ Violence Mature Content

When Jason the Toymaker met Laughing Jack

by vampricone6783

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

*This is a Creepypasta ship I have between Laughing Jack and Jason the Toymaker. Laughing Jack was created by Snuffbomb, Jason the Toymaker was created by Krisantyl. In fact, my profile picture that I found online is of them. (Jason is the one with red hair and Laughing Jack is the clown). This ship isn’t canon, but I made it for fun and to celebrate Valoween. This story is underneath my folder titled “Creepypasta stuff”. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall. Enjoy!*

It was the year 1942. In the town of Rykersfield, there was a brightly colored toy shop, painted in shades of blue and purple, called: “Meyer’s Magic Mysteries”.

In that toy shop was a young man who stood at the height of 6’3. He had olive skin and honey-brown eyes, long, blood red hair that tumbled to his shoulders, and he wore a brown-button up jacket over a long white shirt. His pants and boots were of a crisp black. He walked with confidence, control, and power.

Surrounding the man was countless toys. Some soft, some hard, some wax. Only the wax ones were real.

The man was Jason Meyer, the creator of toys, and the monster that clawed for more.

The shop was closed for the day. Jason didn’t feel like selling another toy to a demanding child, so he plopped down on the ground with his giant stuffed purple snake, Mr. Glutten.

He stroked the snake’s head lovingly, thinking of the past. Sure, he may have turned people into wax dolls, but that was because he wanted a friend. Everyone tried to leave him. He wasn’t a killer, he just deserved love.

Jason’s lips curled into a frown. Amelia Crow. She was the one who started it all. His only friend, the person he protected and cared for. Why couldn’t she see that no one else was good for her? He did what was best and she didn’t listen! She didn’t understand!

Jason laughed darkly. She was lucky that he spared her life, because no one else deserved the same.

Though he had many dolls, he still felt a deep gnawing within his music box heart, the music box that had replaced his real heart when he chose a life of murder. He would never feel satisfied, never feel enough, never feel real, that he knew. But still, Jason took lives, attempting foolishly to obtain something he would never have.

There once was a body inside of Mr. Glutten. He hid little Branwen inside of Mr. Glutten’s body after she had lied to him about needing a new doll when her old one was perfectly fine. The child had driven Jason to kill her, she was asking for her death!

And Amelia wanted him to confess, too! The absurdity! A life rotting away in prison, hiding his potential from the world! What a joke!

Branwen was made into a wax doll, just like all of the other humans. She should have been grateful that he got to take care of her. He got to take care of all of them! If their doll bodies got old, he fed them to Mr. Glutten. Then, he made sure to catch their souls and place them in new doll shells. He always took care of them and all they did was complain!

Two windup mice crawled over to Jason. One was black and named Licorice, his little spy. Licorice searched for anyone who could be a potential friend and told Jason about them. The other one was crimson and called Red Mouse. If put into a victim’s mouth, their head would explode! Red Mouse was such a riot!

Jason picked up both mice and pet them, grinning at how they cooed from his affection.

“Have you got any interesting news to tell me?” He asked softly.

Licorice nodded excitedly. Red Mouse turned to look at him, intrigued. Jason too wanted to know what Licorice had to say.

“What is it?” Jason asked.

“I have a new friend for you! This one is special, I mean it!” Licorice said.

Jason sighed. Every potential friend was “special” but they all started screaming in the end.

Nevertheless, Jason placed both mice in his shirt pocket. Perhaps Licorice was right that time.

“Lead the way, Licorice.” Jason said with a smile.

……………………………………………………..

They had been walking in Rykersfield for hours, Jason heeding the directions of Licorice, until finally, they had made it to a…

“A haunted museum?” Jason asked, raising an eyebrow.

It wasn’t a human’s home, no. It was a museum made with Grecian pillars, painted white and imposing, towering over all other buildings. On the entrance was a black banner with the white letters: “Elijah Edbuckle’s museum of Haunted Artifacts.” Throngs of people gathered inside of it, voices rising in excitement.

“Are you sure that my friend is here?” Jason asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Trust me!” Licorice said.

Well, even if the friend was a failure, at least he’d have a new doll added to his collection.

……………………………………………………..

In the museum, they went past many strange items from even stranger places. Some were cursed mirrors, some were bloodstained knives. But the mouse told Jason to stop in front of one item.

Encased in glass was a Jack-in-the-box painted with faded colors of the rainbow, clowns on either side of it. Most people went past it in search of more evil-looking trinkets, but not Jason. Licorice had guided him to the box, and what a beautiful, innocent box it was.

“Ah! I see you have been entranced by Laughing Jack!” A voice said behind him.

Jason jumped, startled. The mice in his pocket screamed too, but thankfully, the man in the painfully orange suit didn’t seem to hear.

“Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Elijah Edbuckle.” Elijah said, sticking out a hand for Jason to shake.

“Jason. Jason Meyer.” Jason said, giving Elijah a firm handshake.

Jason let go after a few seconds, interested more in the box behind him.

“What did you say about “Laughing Jack”?” Jason asked.

“Oh, well you see, the clown toy in this box is alive! It’s a demon, matter of fact.” Elijah said.

A demon. Huh. I never would have guessed. Jason thought.

“The demon in the box calls itself “Laughing Jack”. It was quite the dilemma down in London! Children kept disappearing to the clown, so I went down there to check it out myself, to find the very thing that would weaken him.” Elijah said.

“It took a while, but I finally found it: It’s box. The box is the only thing that can contain the demon. Once I trapped Laughing Jack in there, all was set in stone! I sent it over to this museum and now it’s all locked up for your enjoyment!” Elijah said proudly, as if he achieved something.

An idea was forming in Jason’s head. Like all ideas that came upon him, he had to share it.

“What if I told you that the glass case wasn’t enough to keep it in the box?” Jason asked.

“And what if I told you not to tell me how to do my job?” Elijah asked, narrowing his eyes.

Jason swallowed down his rage that Elijah would dare to question his brilliance. He had to get on with it, he couldn’t let emotions get in the way.

“Hear me out: The thing inside of the box is a demon. It could break through the wood and pierce through the glass. It wouldn’t happen overnight, but it might happen. That’s where I come in. It’s a cloth doll, isn’t it? I can cut it into pieces and give it back to you in the box. With the doll being broken apart, there will be no chance of it coming back together again.” Jason said.

“Hmm…the doll is cloth…perhaps it can be broken…you bring up good points…ones that I haven’t thought of…it’s a deal!” Elijah said.

Elijah walked up to the glass case, about to take out the box, but Jason placed a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.

“I can’t just cut the demon up. Not yet. At the end of the day, a demon is still a demon. It will try to fight me, it might even kill me. I have to gain its trust. So I’ll visit it in dreams. When I’m sure that it has complete trust in me, I’ll take it to my domain to be killed. You can count on that.” Jason said.

“You can gain the trust of a demon?” Elijah asked.

“You underestimate me too much, Elijah.” Jason said.

“Alright then. If I start to feel like there’s funny business going on, you’re banned from coming to this museum. You’ll never be able to see the box ever again.” Elijah said.

Jason knew that not being allowed to have the box wasn’t an option, so he said:

“A deal is a deal.”

……………………………………………………..

Hours had passed. The sky had darkened to night, stars speckling the infinite blackness like confetti.

Jason lay down on the white narrow bed, his place of sleep in the toy shop. It was comfortable, the perfect place to put him in a trance.

Without further ado, he closed his eyes and thought of the colorful box at the museum…the rainbow box…the happy box….

……………………………………………………..

The world around Jason had become hazy, as if he were dreaming. He knew that it was real though, because he didn’t dream anymore.

The walls surrounding him were completely made out of wood, the scent of paint was in the air.

The screeching sound of long, sharp nails caught Jason’s attention. He turned to the source.

In front of him was a person who stood at what Jason guessed to be 7’4. The person had black hair that hang loosely at its shoulders. The shoulders in question were covered by fuzzy black fur. The person appeared to be wearing a black and white striped long-sleeved shirt that just barely covered the inky black eldritch claws that was scratching the walls. They wore matching black suspenders, pants, and boots.

It couldn’t have been anyone other than Laughing Jack.

“Laughing Jack!” Jason called out.

Laughing Jack turned around, facing Jason.

He had a pale face that had white eyes surrounded by black smudges. Black markings went violently down his eyes. His lips were painted black, pulled back to show smiling, sharp teeth that had faint smudges of blood on it. But the most unique thing about him was his nose, a black and white cone spiral at the center of his face.

For a demon, he wasn’t too much of a mess to look at.

“Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here?” Laughing Jack asked. His voice was raspy, but slightly soothing.

He walked towards Jason, his claws shaking with murderous rage. It was almost admirable, how Laughing Jack’s first thought was to kill him.

Almost.

“My name is Jason Meyer. I may be human, but I can do magic. I’m going to get you out.” Jason said.

No, he wasn’t entirely human, but Laughing Jack didn’t need to know that.

Laughing Jack stopped walking. His claws still shook, but he looked piqued.

“You’re really going to get me out of this box?” Laughing Jack asked. There was hope in his voice, but it was doubtful hope.

Hope was pointless, but it was sweet. Jason knew that all too well.

“Yes, but it’s going to take awhile. I have much going on in my life. I can only visit sometimes. One day, I’ll have enough time in my hands to free you. I promise.” Jason said.

How easily a promise could be broken.

“You mean it?” Laughing Jack asked. His claws had stopped shaking.

“I mean it.” Jason said.

It wasn’t his fault if Laughing Jack didn’t like what would happen.

……………………………………………………..

Jason woke up with a start. Sunlight streamed in the shop, it was morning.

He thought back to Laughing Jack, trapped in his box. He was desperate to escape, desperate to wreak havoc upon the world again. Jason had lied to Elijah about the box not being able to contain him. He couldn’t escape even if he tried, Jason just wanted to cut him up, have something to kill.

And yet, Laughing Jack had been so scared underneath his demeanor, frightened by the prospect that a human may trap him.

An annoyingly loud music box melody played from somewhere. Jason looked around, but there wasn’t a single music box in his shop.

Where is it coming from? It’s so close, I feel like it’s inside me.

Wait…

Jason pulled apart his chest. The blue music box with gold stars kept securely in between his decaying lungs played on its own, with harmony and sweetness.

He touched the music box gently. What did it mean? Why was it playing? It never played before.

The melody stopped abruptly. Jason didn’t understand what had happened, but there was no time for questions.

He had to stitch his chest back together.

……………………………………………………..

Every day, Elijah anticipated the moment Jason would kill Laughing Jack. Every night, Jason visited him, both sharing stories of the victims they came across. Whenever Jason woke up, the music box played. It bothered him at first, but later on, he started to look forward to hearing the music box play again, to see Laughing Jack again.

He must have been excited for the day he’d feel fit to kill Laughing Jack, there was no other explanation.

Jason had to remind himself that the only reason he was communicating with Laughing Jack was to amuse himself out of murder and manipulation. No other motive.

Jason had to remember that whenever the music box played.

……………………………………………………..

One night, Laughing Jack was in the corner of the box, holding his knees to his chest, rocking himself gently. He muttered incoherently, eyes wide with the fright of the past.

When Jason arrived, he was surprised by how vulnerable and weak Laughing Jack was. Usually, his eyes blazed with that of someone who knew that they were superior, who knew that no one could beat them.

“What’s wrong? Do you want to talk about it?” Jason asked.

As Jason was getting closer, he could hear one word from Laughing Jack’s mouth: “Isaac”.

“Laughing Jack? Are you alright?” Jason asked, touching his arm.

Laughing Jack blinked bewilderedly, his eyes wild and wide. It took a few minutes for him to register Jason’s presence, but when he finally did, he sighed in relief.

The most peculiar thing had happened with Jason right then, after he saw Laughing Jack sigh. It felt as though an iron grip had let go of the music box within.

What’s going on? Why am I feeling this? Is there something wrong with me? Jason thought, panicking a bit on the inside.

But he brushed his worries aside. He only wanted Laughing Jack to be in an agreeable mood before his death, nothing more.

“I…I’m sorry. I’m sorry that you had to see me this way.” Laughing Jack said tiredly.

“You don’t need to apologize.” Jason said, sitting right in front of him.

“I know that you’re going to get me out of here eventually, but being trapped in this box makes me think of…”

Laughing Jack paused. Jason could see that he was debating whether he wanted to tell him or not. Jason hoped that Laughing Jack wouldn’t continue, so that Jason may be able to distract him with Licorice and Red Mouse, two of his favorite toys. Laughing Jack would appreciate their simplicity.

NO! You’re not here to help him, you’re here to TAKE HIM! Focus, Jason! Stop with this nonsense!

“It makes me think of a human in my life. He was the very first human I never met, and he was so kind to me.” Laughing Jack said.

So he too has a human who left him, just like me.

“His name was Isaac Grossman. He used to be a little boy, and I used to have rainbow colors.” Laughing Jack said. He chuckled a little, as if fondly remembering something that had happened years ago.

He was once colorful.

“I wasn’t as smart as I am now. I trusted him too much. I thought that he was going to be my forever friend, that he would put his trust in me, but no. He left me.” Laughing Jack said, a faint sadness in his voice.

Jason was about to take out the mice, but then Laughing Jack continued.

We were playing a pirate game outside and I accidentally killed a cat! It was an accident, but Isaac laughed it off, because he didn’t care much for things. The child was devoid of life, his own parents were particularly distasteful. I wanted to hide the body, so we did. We both hid the body. Do you know what happened next?”

Jason said nothing, waiting for Laughing Jack to reply.

“Isaac ratted me out on his Mom! She didn’t believe him, but still! He broke my trust! He got sent off to some do-gooder Catholic Boarding School, and what did I get? Locked in this box! He told me that he would be back to let me out, that I only had to wait for a few days. You know how long I waited? How many years I spent in this confinement? Yes, I spent years locked away! Thirteen years! Thirteen miserable, lonely years of rotting away, of losing myself to insanity! I…I lost all of my colors because of him! An insignificant boy!”

Laughing Jack cackled shrilly, as though it were tears that had frozen in his throat.

Jason had never heard a more horrifying sound in his life. Not even the screams of Amelia could match the pain in Laughing Jack’s cackle.

“He came back as a man. He completely forgot about me, but I didn’t. I remembered him well. As he grew, I grew. I watched him kill all of those people and I wanted to join him. I wanted us to kill together…but he never opened the box. Never even glanced at it. It took the old shelf that my box was sitting on to fall down for him to notice me. That’s when Isaac wound up the box. That’s when I came out.”

Laughing Jack paused for a brief moment, as if to reflect, then continued:

“I killed him. I watched the life bleed from his body as he called me obscenities. I enjoyed it, immensely. But still…I can’t believe that he forgot me. All that time we spent together meant nothing to him.” Laughing Jack said.

He slumped against the wall, moments past threatening to choke him.

“I know how you feel. I too had a friend who didn’t appreciate me. Her name was Amelia Crow.” Jason said.

Laughing Jack looked up, interested in Jason’s story. Jason himself had tried to bury it deep within, but vivid memories cannot so easily be tossed aside.

“Amelia was the only friend I ever had, ever since I was nine years old. I didn’t want anyone else to be friends with her, so I scared them off. Many said that there was something wrong with me…but not Amelia. She only saw the good in me.” Jason said.

Everyone called him odd, everyone called him evil, but all he ever desired was someone to feel a deep, bonding, blissfully damaging connection with.

“There’s nothing wrong with you. You were afraid of losing her. You did what you could to keep her safe. I would have done the same thing.” Laughing Jack said with a real, genuine smile.

Jason felt a warmth go through him that he hadn’t felt in years. It was nice to have someone on his side for once.

“When we were fifteen years old, I wrote a note that confessed Amelia’s feelings for a boy she liked and made it look like her friend did it. Her friend got kicked out of the school, Amelia got bullied, but she was still mine. I didn’t want her to get hurt. I just wanted to protect her.” Jason said.

“As you should.” Laughing Jack said.

Still, Laughing Jack cared for him? Jason never fathomed that it would happen…

“I told her what I did years later, when I was an adult. She deserved to know the truth, and yet she was still mad at me. Sure, I almost killed her, but I didn’t! I loved her too much to do that!” Jason said.

He couldn’t bring himself to take her life, even if she really deserved it. Why couldn’t she see that?

“She was ungrateful to you. You kept her from the worst of the world, you confessed what you did, you didn’t even kill her, and yet she still hated you. What a waste of air.” Laughing Jack said.

Jason thought back to what Amelia said, what he tried in vain to forget. It still burned in his mind, her hurtful words.

“The last words I heard from her was that no one would love a monster like me. She called me a monster. I didn’t think anything of it then, but now…I think that she’s right. All of my wax dolls hate me.” Jason said.

Laughing Jack got up from the ground and did something quite unexpected.

He hugged Jason.

Jason felt the compassion flow right through Laughing Jack, engulfing him, threatening to choke him.

He never wanted it to end.

“I love you, Jason, for I too, am a monster. I want to see all of them die a slow, agonizing death, but I can’t imagine that future without you. We can show them both. Together.”

Jason looked up into his white, lifeless eyes that was yearning for real, true love. It was in that moment that Jason knew he didn’t want to kill Laughing Jack, that in fact, he wanted to free him and spend an eternity with him. Just like he knew that the music-box would be his new heart, he knew that Laughing Jack was the only one who would love him the way he wanted to be loved. No human would fill that hole. Ever.

He tilted his head so that Laughing Jack’s cone nose wouldn’t poke him in the eye when he kissed him. Both were leaning in…

“Hold on.” Laughing Jack said, letting go of Jason.

Immediately he felt cold and lost, like a chunk of his body had been torn away from him. No, it felt like the music-box had been ripped from his chest.

“What is it?” Jason asked. Why did Laughing Jack let go? What was going on?

“I want to trust you. I really do. You have no idea how much I want you to be apart of my life. But I need to pick at your mind, to see if there is anything that I should know about.”

Jason sighed. He wasn’t particularly enthusiastic about the idea, but he wouldn’t argue. It made sense for Laughing Jack to still be a tad wary. Besides, he already told Laughing Jack all he needed to know. It would be nothing new.

Laughing Jack closed his eyes. Jason felt himself floating, watching the world turn into a faint blur. He couldn’t hear a thing, all was silent.

There was nothing…nothing…nothing…

Rapidly, everything became clear. Jason could hear again. He wasn’t floating anymore, he fell to the ground, his back felt like all bones had broken.

“You’re going to cut me up? All that time we spent together was to trick me?! You…you…you lied to me!” Laughing Jack cried out.

Just like that, it all came back to him. Amelia had spoken in the same accusatory tone. She hated him with a hate so great that it stopped Jason from killing her.

Laughing Jack hated him.

“I was going to do that, but-“

“But nothing! You want me dead, and like the foolish clown I am, I thought that you loved me!” Laughing Jack said.

Jason sat up from the ground. He never felt much for his victims, but Laughing Jack…there was such boiling, seething wrath, the most dangerous one of all: The wrath of someone wronged.

Laughing Jack lunged towards him, claws raised, teeth bared.

Luckily, Jason woke up.

……………………………………………………..

It was still night outside when Jason woke up at the shop. The dolls stared down at him, judging him, piercing into his shadow of a soul.

The music-box still played, but it sounded like it was on the verge of shattering.

Laughing Jack almost loved him. Laughing Jack almost wanted to be with him, until he saw what Jason was going to do.

No, Jason didn’t want to hurt him. That may have been his plan at first, but that was before he met Laughing Jack, before he heard his raspy, yet haunting voice, telling stories of a clown who rose from the muddle of grayness and conformity, who had showered the world in crimson droplets and candy-coated the sourness of everyday existence.

Jason had to make it right, even if it was at his own expense.

He had to free Laughing Jack.

……………………………………………………..

Amazingly, it wasn’t that much work to get into the museum. He simply slipped in through a window and walked inside. For a well-known haunted museum, there was no security. All lights had turned off, but Jason could see from the moonlight that fell from the windows.

They don’t think that anyone will want these items.

Jason stopped in front of the Jack-in-the-box. From his pants pocket, he took out a small black key, perfect for opening anything.

Especially the miniature door on the glass case.

Jason inserted the key into the hole and grinned after he heard a click.

He removed the box from inside and cranked the handle, a broken, twisted melody of “Pop goes the weasel” playing.

For a few seconds, nothing happened.

Then, the box started to vibrate. Jason placed it on the ground and watched as black smoke circulated from the lid and manifested into a familiar form that Jason knew.

Laughing Jack turned his head sharply around, trying to process his newfound freedom.

“What is this? Why’d you free me? Is this another lie? Are you going to kill me?” Laughing Jack asked.

He narrowed his eyes at Jason, curling his claws.

Jason swallowed hard, but he wouldn’t run. He had to stay if he really loved Laughing Jack.

“This is no trick. I have much to tell you, if only you’ll listen for a minute.” Jason said.

Laughing Jack seemed to think for a moment, then said:

“This better be good. If I hear one more lie from your mouth, I will slash right through your pitiful body and eat your skin. Do you understand, toymaker?” Laughing Jack asked.

Jason cringed from the bile in his voice, but he wouldn’t back down.

“That’s the thing, Laughing Jack. I’m not human.”

Jason ripped open his chest, showing the music box.

“Do you see it?” Jason asked, just to be sure.

“I see the music box.” Laughing Jack said.

“That’s my heart. I was scared to tell you the truth, so I pretended to be human. I thought that if you believed that you could kill me, you’d be in a shock when I started to cut you. I thought that it would make killing you more fun.”

Jason hated that he ever thought about torturing the most wonderful thing to ever happen to him in the first place, but it was something he would have to face.

“Whenever I thought of you, the music box played. I thought that it was because I was thinking about killing you, but all of my thoughts involved being with you, not ending your life. I thought that all of my love had died the day my heart became a music box, but I was wrong. You’re the only one who knows what it’s like to be abandoned. You have so much to give, so much magic inside you. This world doesn’t deserve you. I don’t deserve you. The more time I spent with you, the more I wanted you. I still want you, but I understand if you don’t want me. You can rip out my music box and leave me for dead if you don’t trust me. I won’t fight back.”

Jason’s burgundy hair had started to fade into an ashy-white. His skin began to rot, overwhelmed with the stench of a body that should have died many years ago. His brown eyes glowed with an unnatural, unholy green vibrancy. His teeth sharpened, his hands contorted into black claws, similar to Laughing Jack’s.

It was his less favorable form, but it was his true form. He was sick of pretending.

Laughing Jack walked up to him.

“Is this what you really are?” Laughing Jack asked.

Jason nodded.

Laughing Jack trailed his claws gently against the music box, then moved them away.

“I can see within you, Jason. Looking into minds feels different in the real world than it does in the box, that’s why you don’t feel anything. I can see within you, Jason.”

Jason awaited an answer.

“You’re telling the truth. You mean every word that you say.“ Laughing Jack said softly.

He placed his claws in Jason’s own, looking down at him with the same hope that Jason had heard from his voice at the prospect of being freed.

“If we’re going to make this work, you have to promise to never lie to me again. You have to promise to never hurt me. If you do turn your back on me, I’ll see to it that you suffer.” Laughing Jack said.

Jason made many promises to his victims, but they didn’t deserve to have the promises kept.

Laughing Jack, however? He deserved everything.

“I promise. I promise that all I’ll ever do is love you until the end of time. I swear on my music box.” Jason said.

“And I promise to do the same for you. I swear on my Jack-in-the-box.” Laughing Jack said with a grin.

Both leaned in for a kiss, Jason tilting his head. The kiss was freezing, it felt like death, but it was a death that they were willing to plunge into.

“Would you like to slaughter the residents of the local orphanage with me?” Jason asked once they were finished.

“I’d like that.” Laughing Jack said.

Claw in claw, they stalked into the night to terrorize the unsuspecting orphans.

Stickied -- Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:34 pm
vampricone6783 says...

Amelia doesn’t have a canon last name, Rykersfield isn’t canon, the name of Jason’s shop hasn’t been confirmed, and the child Jason killed is nameless. I just added that in. The museum isn’t canon, either. The museum is just part of this story. Jason’s canon height is 6’3. Laughing Jack doesn’t have a canon height, but he’s really tall, so I made one up. Hope that helps!

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven! In reviewing the Green Room, I spotted this predecessor to the Laughing Jack story I read, and I got excited! Now, let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

First, though a minor thing to note, I like the length of this story; there was a lot more to enjoy! And I did, from Jason being led to the jack-in-the-box by his mice, to the many nights of visiting and exchanging stories (each sounding more personal), leading up to that gritty conflict -only to be broken by that adorable kiss. All showing that once again, you have masterfully relayed a tale of Gothic romance and true cryptid love ~ Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

No recommendations for content! It was great! Even for more technical errors, impressively, all I noticed was one tiny spelling error in that entire story:

Incased in glass was a Jack-in-the-box painted with faded colors of the rainbow,

"Incased" should be spelled "encased."

That is all ~

Why The Grin Widened...

Ah, where to begin! I loved the beginning, how it opened with Jason interacting with his toys. It set a sense of loneliness that resonated long into the story. Also, the mice were adorable.

I felt like it added to the later revelation of Laughing Jack's condition, how no one was interested in his box. No one was around, no one bothered securing it, and even Elijah spoke so dismissively and bitterly about it. After he tells his story about being abandoned by Isaac, left to rot in the box and lose his colors, it's like salt in the wound that no one even looks his way. I don't know if it was intentional, but it's great that you added those details, because they worked very well.

One of my favorite things was this:

Wait…

The way the music box reveals Jason's true feelings, even in the face of his denial, was such a cute addition. How it seemed to play louder when he was experiencing more repressed love, and gained a borderline-broken tune when Jack learned the plot and turned on him.

And finally, the interactions between Jason and Laughing Jack felt genuine; fascinatingly, it felt like the biggest thing that they had most in common -being deceived by a past companion- was the biggest thing that kept a divide between them. Seeing them overcome that divide was great. Especially when Jason made up for his initial plot, exposing his music-box heart to be possibly destroyed by the now-free and angered Laughing Jack. That was especially powerful.

And of course, the response...

Jason awaited an answer.

Ah, so adorable! Despite discovering the plot, he believes him and spares the heart!

And then, finally, all the talk of victim stories and terrorizing towns together was like a cherry on top. Surely, that's a more fun date than Starbucks right? lol

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, I LOVED this story; the formatting, the content, the characters, and all. Brilliant work! :)

Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:50 pm
PKMichelle wrote a review...

Hello friend!
I saw your work in the Green Room and figured I’d check it out.

Per my interpretation, this was an absolutely stellar story about two unknowing lovers! It was action-packed with multiple twists and turns and, overall, just a blast to read!

It's the story of Jason, a toymaker who has no real friends. His rats lead him to someone, however, Laughing Jack, and at first Jason's only intent is to kill him, but slowly, after visiting him in dreams, he comes to fall in love with Laughing Jack. This only lasts so long, though, before Laughing Jack realizes Jason's original intentions and decides to cast him away. After that, Jason still felt the need to make things right between him and Laughing Jack, so he went back to set him free. This is when they actually fall in love, hand-in-hand, and begin their carnage.

This was a wonderful story, with a beautiful ship between two amazing characters!

If I could offer any sort of advice, it would be one small thing that I almost completely glanced over. But, when Jason and Laughing Jack were exchanging stories about failed friendships, you said,

Jason himself had tried to bury it deep within, but vividly memories cannot so easily be tossed aside.

In this context, I don't think "vividly" is the right word. I think I would change it to just "vivid" to make it look more like this:

Jason himself had tried to bury it deep within, but vivid memories cannot so easily be tossed aside.

But, obviously, this is just a suggestion, and it's always up to the writer, so please take this criticism lightly and know that I mean nothing negative by it—only trying to provide a somewhat useful critique.

If I had to pick my favorite part, it would be the entire evolution of Jason and Laughing Jack's relationship in this story. Throughout this story, there were so many wonderful twists and turns in their relationship that just made me want more of the complete drama!

It started with Jason wanting to kill Laughing Jack—to cut him up into pieces—but quickly he began to question if that's what he wanted when the music box began playing in his chest. You said,

And it only got worse from there. Jason desperately tried to push those feelings down and remind himself why he was there. The text reading just a little while later,

The way you wrote these two quotes, showing how much he was trying to suppress his love, was really well done and perfectly portrayed the inner conflict within Jason!

And this just keeps going, wonderfully written, until Laughing Jack hugs Jason, and Jason realizes that he loves the feeling—that he loves Laughing Jack. You said,

He never wanted it to end.

And all of that—Jason coming to terms with their love and wanting to be with Laughing Jack—just for Laughing Jack to realize Jason's original intentions and jeopardize their whole relationship. You said,

This was utterly gut-wrenching, but nonetheless, it was an insanely well-written and well-laid-out scene! Even though it hurt me, I still loved it, so kudos to you for being able to write something so fantastic like that!

And finally (thankfully), Jason goes back, frees Laughing Jack, and they get back together. You said,

An absolutely wonderful ending! The ending of this story and the buildup made me want their relationship so badly! I wanted them to succeed, and they did it! And the way you wrote it all was completely outstanding and a joyous read!

Overall, this was a phenomenal piece, and I genuinely enjoyed reading it! I loved the love story mixed with all of the drama!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this, and I hope this review is of some use to you!

Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan