12+ Violence Mature Content

Teresa Jenkins-Circus of Horrors

by vampricone6783

*This is the origin story of Teresa Jenkins, one of the characters from my “Circus of Horrors” stories. This will be underneath my folder titled “Circus of Horrors”. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall. This story, I feel like, is written a tad differently from my other origin stories.  I hope that nevertheless, you are entertained, mystified, and a little frightened.*

Teresa walked through the carnival, the sense of unease clutching at her heart. There was only her left. All of her performers had mysteriously died. The carnival was closed, the people feared her.

They all suspected her, for she was their ringleader, the one with the power.

The thought that anyone would ever think it was her boiled Teresa’s blood and made her want to rip their throats out. Who were they to judge? All of her performers were like children to her, and she would never lay a hand on them! Even if she were to gain money from their deaths, which was ridiculous, since the company she worked for had the real power, not her, why would she want it? Teresa already had most of what a practical person would find ideal. The carnival was her passion, her joy.

No, Teresa suspected that it was someone else. An unseen force. She didn’t know how to explain it, but ever since Charles died, she felt that there was someone watching them, someone trailing their cold fingers on her back.

That was why she was in the carnival at the dead of night, searching for the person. Teresa always trusted her intuition, for it was nrvrtwrong. When her intuition told her to sneak into her own carnival, she didn’t question it. She followed through.

Her ringmaster uniform was a tad tight on her skin, but Teresa didn’t mind. It was part of her, it was her essence. It felt right to go into her carnival in uniform.

A silhouette standing still caught her eye. It had long hair and wore an equally long dress, a beret atop on its head and wings folded on its back. It was a shadowy, flickering figure, like that of an entity that was never quite in Earth.

“Excuse me! You’re not supposed to be here!” Teresa called out.

The silhouette twitched, as though it were slightly annoyed. Teresa felt in her gut that the person wasn’t human, that her human words didn’t apply to it, but she wanted to see how it would react at her voice.

Teresa’s gut twisted and contorted inside of her, the unease she felt earlier becoming excruciating, unbearable pain. She had to bite her bottom lip to stop the screams.

The silhouette took off. Teresa crammed down the bile in her throat, like she did whenever the public pointed fingers at her on the mysterious deaths, and ran after it.

She had to catch it…she had to get a better look at it…

Everything around her was growing blurry, twisting…turning…her stomach dropped like she was on a rollercoaster…the scream that Teresa held in came out, high, loud, ringing, and infinite, a cacophony of misery.

She wasn’t in her carnival anymore. She was in the Hall of Mirrors, her own petrified reflections staring back at her.

Teresa didn’t stand still. She didn’t think. She didn’t know how she got in the Hall of Mirrors, or why she got in the Hall of Mirrors, but she knew that somehow, she had to get out.

She had to find the silhouette…

…………………………………………………..

DAILY LYERSVILLE NEWSPAPER

On May 12th, 1982, Thirty-Three Teresa Eleanor Jenkins was found dead in the Hall of Mirrors, her body severely malnourished from starvation.

The public began to talk when Teresa hadn’t been seen for three months, and an investigation was done at the local Lyersville carnival.

The woman was believed to have been delusional and depressed. The public sends their condolences to Teresa. A shame such a tragedy had to occur to such a well-loved, prominent individual.

Funny how they all care after death, isn’t it?

First Impression: Well this was quite the tale here. Its a little bit of an opposite to what we usually tend to see in most of these origin stories and I love that, just seeing things go the other way for once.

Hmm well this is an interesting little start to proceedings here. Normally we start with some that appears very innocent who is secretly out killing people but here we're dealing with someone that seems to be seen as someone horrible but is actually just trying to be a good person. Let's see where this goes.

That was why she was in the carnival at the dead of night, searching for the person. Teresa always trusted her intuition, for it was very wrong. When her intuition told her to sneak into her own carnival, she didn’t question it. She followed through.

Oooh well that death situation certainly does make things interesting. It definitely presents a potential reason that everything seems to happening here and Teresa's decision to check things out in this more sneaky manner. Let's see what we discover here.

Oh dear well it seems there's clearly something there that shouldn't be there and a pretty powerful and dangerous one at that judging by that immediate reaction and how much it seems to be affecting poor Teresa here as she's just trying to survive here.

She had to find the silhouette…

Well it looks like she's about to be subjected to a few horrors there from the looks of things. Oh dear. I was hoping that she'd get a bit more of a chance to try and fight this thing but it seems she was immediately attacked and now she's just going to have to fight for her life although it does look like somehow her main driving factor is still just to figure out who this happens to be.

Well that's quite the dark ending right there wow. Just a simple newspaper entry about how she met a horrible end there and just that last line I think is perfect. Its a wonderful little not to end on that very much makes you mostly wonder exactly who is saying it, and hat this is going to mean for this world because I get the feeling that's Teresa who is know some sort of vengeful spirit.

Overall: Overall this is quite the powerful little tale here. Just an innocent owner trying to take care of things being horribly attacked and a very intriguing ending there with that one terrifying one liner. Its quite nicely done I think.

Kate

Snoink wrote a review...

Hi! Let's just straight to review, shall we? (Just like your story goes straight to the conflict, yay!)

Ahaha... the intrigue! Everyone died??? DUN DUN DUNNNN.

I think it would be really cool to describe how some of the mysterious deaths came about. Maybe the caretaker of the animals was eaten by the tamed lion?? Maybe the tightrope walker strangely slipped. Maybe a clown got a brain aneurysm when a rogue juggling ball struck him in the head?? Like, these sorts of details would really heighten the atmosphere and make us wonder if it really could have been an accident... OR NOT.

The thought that anyone would ever think it was her boiled Teresa’s blood and made her want to rip their throats out. Who were they to judge? All of her performers were like children to her, and she would never lay a hand on them! Even if she were to gain money from their deaths, which was ridiculous, since the company she worked for had the real power, not her, why would she want it?

Hahahaha, this quote just makes me even more suspicious, to be honest. She seems waaaaay too defensive... and violent!

Teresa always trusted her intuition, for it was very wrong.

Wait... huh? Maybe look at that line a little bit... it doesn't make sense.

She had to find the silhouette…

OMG, this sounds like a legit horror movie and I love it.

I want to see more action! I want to see her slam into the mirrors and try to get out. Does she see the silhouette again??? Does she realize that it's actually her??? IS IT HER FUTURE SELF AS A GHOST TRAPPED IN THE CARNIVAL???

S0ME OF THE OTHER CARNIES???

I NEED MORE ACTION HERE!!! (And more information too! :))

Okay but... I've seen obituaries of people who are hated in their lives, and some of them are SAVAGE. So like, if she actually got a nice obituary, it might actually be because she was insane and everyone felt sorry for her and didn't actually blame her on the deaths at all.

Just a theory!

Anyway, I liked the action... and also, I like horror in writing. Keep at it! :)

Thanks! I%u2019ll fix that line.

Under my folder %u201CCircus of Horrors%u201D you can see stories about everyone else%u2019s fates.

WeepingWisteria wrote a review...

Hello, Vampricone! Wist here with a review. I semi-recently reviewed one of your other works and am excited to see how the story develops.

This story is fascinating, with a weighty air of mystery, which is an atmosphere perfect for horror, so you work well within your tone. You leave just enough to the imagination so the reader can make their own horror, which is always a stellar tactic. With that said, let's dive into it.

The last time I reviewed your work, I praised your characterization. With this story, I must do it again. You clearly illustrate what Teresa values. It's clear she trusts herself and values her place in the circus. It gives us an idea of how she's feeling now, with her performers' deaths making her desperate enough to search the carnival at night. One thing that I want to bring up, though, is that Teresa is never really afraid of the situation she's in. She doesn't find the shadow monster intimidating, and even when she's transported to the Hall of Mirrors, she doesn't seem phased. I don't know if this was on purpose and Teresa never feels afraid or if you wanted to convey a sense of fear, so I can't prescribe what to do here. However, I would recommend thinking about how Teresa feels at each moment and taking the time to explore that. The narrative will read more personally if the reader gets a better idea of what Teresa is thinking.

Moving on, I want to point out a few sentences that seem disjointed.

Teresa crammed down the bile in her throat...

I can't say why, but the verb cram here feels out of place. Like, I'm imagining Teresa shoving her finger down her throat to stop herself from vomiting, which I'm assuming was not the vibe you were going for. I would suggest trying out a couple of verbs until it feels right.

Teresa didn't stand still. She didn't think.

So, these lines are grammatically sound, but when describing a character's actions, it's best not to use "not" for one simple reason. The subconscious doesn't understand negatives, so if you read a sentence like "there were no trees in sight," you'll first imagine trees. So, the brain will imagine Teresa standing still, thinking, especially when you don't give us a different image to latch on to. So, I would recommend stating what Teresa is doing rather than focusing on what she isn't doing.

Another small thing is that this is titled Teresa Jenkins - Circus of Horror, whereas every other story in this series is titled [First] [Last]'s story. I don't know if that was intentional, but I wanted to point it out.

Overall, this story has a strong foundation, and with a couple of tweaks, it could really be something. I'm glad I could read another of your stories, and I hope you keep going!

Happy Writing!
Wist

Abbz says...

Oh my cow, that was really good. I liked how we don’t know what the silhouette was and the way that it made her starve herself was described really good. I wish it was longer so that the mystery could have been extended.

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia