16+ Violence Mature Content

Isabella’s song (reprise)

by vampricone6783

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

*A reprise of a song I made about a character from my “The town of Richardson” stories. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall. William is the name of the character’s son. Enjoy!*

You’ve lied to me

You’ve kept the truth hidden from me

And now me and our-my son are now damaged because of your lust for power

I’m haunting this “place of joy” which you called home 

This place of joy brought nothing but

Sadness, work, and loneliness

We wanted to check up on it, so others wouldn’t destroy it

So that you didn’t have to

I know you check up on it every night

I knew William would want to help

So we went

But then you came with a smile on your face like no other

And I put two and two together

I’d never thought you’d murder us

I’d never thought you’d turn into this

I’m never getting you back, am I?

So if I’m not getting you back, I’LL TAKE YOU INSTEAD!

I’LL SEE HOW YOU’LL LIKE IT WHEN YOU’RE HURT!

I’LL SEE HOW YOU’LL LIKE IT WHEN YOU’RE ALONE!

I’LL SHOW YOU!

There's certainly a heightened feeling of emotion and drama from this poem expressed by the shift in formatting in flow - at the beginning it is in a reminiscent mood about the relationship between the two and the speaker realizes what's going on and becomes wrathful with their hurt so the lyrics shift to all caps and single lines rather than couplets.

I think that part where you put "(once William agreed)" is a little distracting - little asides like that in poetry + lyrics although sometimes good for context, end up distracting from the flow and narrative a bit too much I think, so would remove that portion.

Though this piece is listed as lyrics, it seemed more poetic than lyrical to me I think based on the un-evenness of the lines and lack of rhyme / sound-devices - for lyrical pieces I think you would find benefit in adding a little more repetition, sound-devices, and evening out some of the lines so that a reader might imagine how the writing sounds melodically.

Hope that helps!

alliyah

Thank you for reading! I edited out the part about William.

alliyah says...

No problem!

You’ve lied to me

You’ve kept the truth hidden from me

I’m haunting this “place of joy” which you called home (once William agreed)

This place of joy brought nothing but

Sadness, work, and loneliness

So that you didn’t have to

I know you check up on it every night

I knew William would want to help

Oooh having read this story a couple of times before, this one hits you really quite hard at the opening there. I am loving the effect that you've created by making it that Isabella here is very much just yelling this out and being very direct about exactly what she's trying to say. Its not too often you have a song especially at the start being quit this direct but it suits this particular story and I am loving the way it just cuts to the heart of things. You can definitely feel the true emotions underneath too and that just adds on very nicely to everything.

So we went

And I put two and two together

I’d never thought you’d murder us

I’d never thought you’d turn into this

I’m never getting you back, am I?

I’LL SHOW YOU!

And I think you've managed to end that really quite nicely there. I'm someone who's normally never a fan of using all caps cause it rarely ever seems like its necessary but knowing the real power of the context here and in this vessel of a song that you've gone with here, it works surprisingly well and I think it gives it a nice strong finish especially coupled with the very powerful repetition that you've also chosen to include in things. So overall for something so short and simple, this one gets its message across very well and quite powerfully. I think you've done really well.

Kate

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:11 am
cookiesandcream123 wrote a review...

Hi, vampricone!

Ahh yes, I remember stumbling on this story from William's song! It's really cool that you're writing lyrics from the characters' perspectives. While reading, I can imagine these being sang like creepy lullabies in the haunted setting... >:D

I love the last few lines. Took a very dark turn, and it's even scarier with the capitalization. Seems like Lucas is aboutta get the scare of a lifetime.

One thing, though: I feel like these lyrics don't have as much rhythm compared to William's song or Isabella's song (non-reprise), so it was harder for me to imagine it being sung. But that's all. Great job and have a nice day! :D

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb