z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence Mature Content

Halloween of 1973

by vampricone6783


*This short story is connected to stories underneath my folder titled “Zeze and Zuzu the clowns”. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall. Enjoy!*



Amabel and Corvina roamed the streets of Maven Hills, Amabel donning a witch costume, Corvina wearing a vampire princess costume.

The girls were both twelve years old, but still enjoyed Trick-or-Treating in costumes, reveling the festivity of it all.

In their pumpkin buckets were piles of candy bars, eagerly wrapped up. The moon was high and orange, the streets were alive with the joy of young children receiving their prizes.

It was all so beautiful, so warm.

But the girls were looking for something a bit more frightening for their taste. They wanted to go to Zeze and Zuzu’s clown house, said to hold the clown ghosts of Zeze and Zuzu, waiting for the arrival of young children.

A girl their age named Danika supposedly died there in 1951. In 1963, it was said that two boys, also their age, named Hadrien and Drystan had met their gruesome fates.

But what was a little legend to Halloween fun?

Amabel and Corvina giggled as they skipped to the abandoned, tree-branch covered house, not at all frightened.

When they were inside, they called out:

“Zeze! Zuzu! Come get us!”

Not a response came, so they giggled and continued to do it, skipping and dancing all the way.

Nothing came of it, but they got a good laugh. They were just about to leave, when…

“Why are you leaving so soon?”

The girls froze, utterly terrified. The voice sounded too high-pitched, too giddy.

They turned around, facing a smiling, yellow-haired, clown woman.

“Me and Zuzu want to say hi!” Zeze said.

Both girls tried in vain to open the door, but it stayed firmly shut. Zuzu jumped up from the stairs and grabbed Corvina, while Zeze swooped in and snatched Amabel.

“We’re going to have so much fun!” Zeze said as she carried Amabel down to the basement, Zuzu and Corvina following close behind.

Zuzu cackled in agreement, voice ringing throughout the house.

In search of Halloween fun, the poor girls only got two clowns and a dark basement, which led only to a terrible, terrible death.

Why did they ever go into the clown house?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:06 am
View Likes
Wolfi wrote a review...



Hello there! Stopping by for a quick review of this delightful little work. It's nice to read a spooky Halloween story in the middle of winter!

I appreciate the establishment of the setting - descriptions of the candy, the children on the streets, the moon. What I would love to see is more of the house. Try elaborating on "tree-branch covered" element, for example. How much of the house can they see? Are there any lights on the property, or is it just the moonlight and the streetlamps that are lighting their way?

It surprised me when Amabel and Corvina were able to so effortlessly enter the house. Have they been to this house before and knew it would be unlocked? Perhaps there was no door at all? Perhaps an overgrown oak had split open a wall, or an old fire opened a black gaping maw where the garage door should be?

What I recommend focusing the most on is SUSPENSE. Take your time with this story. Allow the reader to dwell in the spookiness of all. For instance:

When they were inside, they called out:

“Zeze! Zuzu! Come get us!”

Not a response came, so they giggled and continued to do it, skipping and dancing all the way.

Nothing came of it, but they got a good laugh. They were just about to leave, when…


This part especially could really benefit from being drawn out. Describe the creaking floorboards and the spiderwebs and the vintage clown decorations. I wasn't given enough time to properly anticipate the danger or feel that delicious onset of dread that is key to horror stories. I do love that the girls are all giggly and fearless, actually seeking out danger - it's unique and morbid considering their fates!

Very well done on this first draft! Keep up the spooky work.




User avatar
151 Reviews


Points: 39462
Reviews: 151

Donate
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:41 pm
View Likes
PKMichelle wrote a review...



Hello friend!
I saw your work in the Green Room and figured I’d check it out.


Per my interpretation, this was a really quick, really great story! Its face-paced nature made it an easy read and was a lot of fun!

Two young girls looking to experience the true horrors of Halloween decided to go to a haunted house where many kids have died, thinking it was only a legend, but soon they found out the truth.

This was an interesting plot with a quick resolution!


If I could offer any sort of advice, I wouldn't! This was great, and I genuinely enjoyed it!

I do wish there were a few more details when they were getting attacked, but I also love how succinct it is, so to be honest, I'm quite torn.

But I still believe there were no major mistakes!


If I had to pick my favorite part, it would definitely be the whole story! But if I had to pick out something specific, it would have to be the way you showed Amabel and Corvina's naivety, saying,

But what was a little legend to Halloween fun?


Just for the end of the story to come around and show how foolish their decision was...

Why did they ever go into the clown house?


It was quite comical in a sense, the way the story turns back on itself, and I really love when characters regret their decisions soon after they make them, so kudos to you for writing it that way!


Overall, this was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed reading it! You did a great job with this!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this, and I hope this review is of some use to you!


Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!





"When a body moves, it's the most revealing thing. Dance for me a minute, and I'll tell you who you are."
— Mikhail Baryshnikov