E - Everyone Violence Mature Content

Him and I part 2

by valentin3

Carlos dashed under the massive oak tree. His glossy hair was forced backwards by the violence of the gentle wind. I ran eagerly after him as fast as I could, but I tripped over my own feet. An exposed rock pierced my already bruised knee, drawing a sheer amount of blood. I felt hot tears start to fall from my eyes. I tried to be quiet. All I could do was sit there and stare at the maroon blood covering my knee. Carlos turned around. “Lucas, are you okay?” he yelled, rushing toward me.

“Yeah,” I said, putting my hand over my knee. “I fell when I was chasing after you.”

Carlos pulled off his shirt. “Here,” He crouched down and wrapped the shirt around my knee. “This should stop the bleeding.”

At that moment, I noticed a healing scar on his arm. It was one of those scars that only a kitchen knife could give you. The only logical thing I could think of was self-harm. But we’re only thirteen. “What’s that on your arm?” I asked, staring at him.

“If I tell you, promise not to tell. Okay?” He said, rubbing the scar.

“I promise.”

“My uncle, Gabriel, tried to kill me a few weeks ago.”

“Wait what?”

“He was really mad at dad, and he just ran at me then-” He paused. “He sliced open my arm. It's no biggie though.”

Carlos stood up and gave me his hand. I pulled myself up slightly limping. “I gotta get home,” I said, looking at Carlos.

“Will your mom mind if I come over?” Carlos looked at me with his green eyes blazing. That’s when I knew I loved him.

“I think it’s alright.”

He said that he didn't just tell me that his uncle was a homicidal maniac. H-O-M-I-C-I-D-A-L.

First Impression: This is a good follow up to that first part. I think you've done a pretty good job here. There's a couple of parts I do have to question a little bit but overall pretty solid.

Well that's quite the start. Definitely a powerful little moment to draw us in there. I think it works very well n terms of pulling us into the scene quite quickly, although I do have one small thing to point out and that's the fact that violence being used to describe a gentle wind seems a bit contradictory because those two words tend to mean the opposite there.

Oooh that's a really cool way to let us know how old everyone here happens to be. I think that works very well. Also love that we are following up on that scar from the previous chapter. Now we can see exactly how that's going to end up coming to a conclusion.

“I promise.”

“Wait what?”

Hmmm. This is quite the revelation there. Its definitely a massive and powerful moment in the story here that really makes us think quite a lot but I do have to say the reaction to something this powerful is quite lacking her in both characters. Is this meant to be so common to these characters that they hardly react because if not there really needs to be something more.

“I think it’s alright.”

Hmmm...well this is something here. We can at least see that being somewhat acknowledged. I still think its not nearly as powerful as it ought to be but I think this is a good place to end here. Its a very shocking note, and I think that last couple of lines especially do this quite well.

Overall: Overall I think its a solid follow up here, just needs a second look at a couple of things. These two characters are proving to be quite interesting so far. I'm looking forward to seeing where this will go.

Kate

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the review?

Top Graham Cracker - Lucas chases Carlos playfully, but then, he trips and scrapes his knee. Luckily, Carlos bandages the wound right up, and even reveals something of his past…

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I’m not sure if a comma comes after “Uncle”. If I’m wrong, please ignore this.

Chocolate Bar - I love how you described Lucas’ love for Carlos that he keeps within himself. How Carlos’ green eyes blazed when he looked at Lucas, how Carlos was careful when bandaging up Lucas’ wound. All sweet, which means that what will happen throughout the story is going to get more sour…

Closing Graham Cracker - A cute snippet of them running off and spending time together, I enjoyed reading it! Hopefully Carlos feels the same about Lucas…we’ll just have to see.

I wish you an amazing day/night!

valentin3 says...

Yep we shall see

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss