Junie Dreams

by ursulauri

Chapter One

The dark of my living room is illuminated by my television playing an old black and white movie. Cigarette smoke wafts through the room, floating above my head. There’s nothing like staying up all night to watch old movies.

“What are we watching next?” Julien asks, looking through the pile on the coffee table in front of us. We just finished watching Sunset Boulevard. A 1950’s film noir classic about Hollywood starring the beautiful Gloria Swanson. Great movie, I must say. A personal favourite, even. Although I do prefer the classic horror movies. Nothing beats Herk Harvey’s Carnival of Souls.

“What have we not watched yet?”

“Let’s watch The Old Dark House.”

“Oh, James Whale. Nice choice.”

Some of these movies have been copied onto DVD. Other’s are still on VHS. Movies these days, they’re great. It’s a shame that they aren’t like they used to be, though. Nothing in genuine anymore. They’re all remakes. I mean, they’re making the Great Gatsby for God’s Sake! You can’t remake a classic.

Julien jumps up to switch out the movies just as the credits begin to role. I get up and go to the kitchen to make myself some coffee. Sure, it’s late at night but I can still get to sleep with two or so cups of coffee in me. I’ve been conditioned to.

“So you’re going with me tomorrow to visit Camella, right?” I ask even though I know the answer. Julien already agreed to go with me even though Camella and Julien aren’t quite found of each other.

My back is to Julien, but I already know his reaction. I know that he rolled his eyes and a look of annoyance came across his face before I even finished the question. “I guess if I really have to.”

I smile, “Yeah. You do.”

I plop onto the couch beside Julien while taking a sip of my coffee. I’ve known Camella my whole life. For an old women, she’s quite eccentric. She spent her life in the business of acting before she retired. She has starred in plenty of movies, though not many well known. In fact, the only well known movie she was ever in was Junie Dreams. It was a 1963 horror film. Also a favourite of mine. I was named after Camella’s character, Juniper.

“She hates me, though.”

“So? You’re mother hates me but I still go to her house with you.”

“That’s different. My mother hates everyone.”

“Shut up and watch the movie.”

My first memory I have with Camella is when I was only four years old. I’m sitting in her living room and we’re looking through an old photo album from back in the day. The photos are from 1959, she’s only twenty years old in them. In the pictures she’s on the set of her first movie, or seen out with the cast and crew outside of work. She’s rocking the rockabilly look and in every photo she’s smiling so wide it looks like her mouth it just about to fall off.

“Oh, and look here June Baby.” Camella pointed to one a picture of her wearing a swing dress and standing next to the films director. She’s beside him, but she’s got her hands on each of his shoulder. She’s leaning towards him slightly, her leg in the air and her lips puckered.

She stared at the photo for a moment with a smile on her face that only appears when she’s talking about her acting. It’s a smile that’s seen a lot, trust me. “That’s the late Peter Crowe.” Her smile remained, but a flash of sadness flashed across her eyes.

After looking at that picture she closed the album gently and told me that we could finish looking another time. I later learned that they were married for a pretty long time before he died.

Camella and I have been close for as long as I can remember. She’s always been there for me. No matter what. She has no family left anymore. She was born into a family that was already small at the time. She’s always said that’s okay, though. As long as she’s got my mother and I she doesn’t need any other family.

I set my coffee down even though I have hardly touched it. I lean back on the couch and rest my head on Julien’s shoulder.

“What time is it?” I ask, realizing that I’m starting to feel tired.

“Just a little after two.”

I think for a moment. Camella wants us at her house by eleven so I should probably be getting to sleep soon otherwise I’ll never be up on time. Unfortunately, I’m not like Julien who can stay up the entire night without ever getting tired or be grouchy the next morning.

I sigh, “I’m going to bed now.” I kiss Julien’s cheek and head to our room before he can protest. He always does. It’s very rare that I go to bed during a movie marathon, especially when it’s one of this nature.

“Night,” I hear him faintly through the door.

artybirdy wrote a review...

Hello! I came across your story in the “books” section and decided to review it. :)

I’m confused about her and Julien’s relationship. You haven’t made it clear enough. Are they boyfriend and girlfriend, or are they married? Are they even together? And, who’s Camella to her? I liked that they are bonding through a movie marathon (yes, it’s possible!), but I felt that it was a slow start to your book. Introduce the mystery, the “real” or main plot in this chapter, so we’re left curious about it, so that we’re desperate to read the next chapter for any answers. You don’t have to delete this scene; you can move it someplace later. It’s a short chapter, so there’s not much to comment on. I liked it because it was simple and straightforward as there were no unnecessary descriptions. It also gave us a gist of her character, e.g. the favourite kind of films. Great chapter! Well done, and keep writing!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:36 am
ikiru wrote a review...

I like it. Here is something I would change though:

You say:
"but a flash of sadness flashed across her eyes."
(Flash twice)

Otherwise it's good! That is the only thing I saw.

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
— Pablo Picasso