Hopefully Sky

by trulyness

| 7 : 13 PM |

As he checked his wristwatch he realised she was around ten minutes late but he waited patiently for her to show up.

In all honesty, meeting here like this on Christmas Eve was her idea. Even he had no clue what exactly she had in mind but he would never even dream of questioning her. So there he was, standing on a rooftop where she had asked him to come as the snow continued to fall.

"I'm sorry, I'm late. You didn't wait for long, did you?" A familiar voice said. He turned around to face her and smiled - a gesture which was still somewhat foreign to him. He wasn't used to it - not yet, not so soon - but he knew he was getting there.

She returned the smile easily without any hesitation and he couldn't help but feel that she looked even more beautiful smiling so brightly like that.

She was carrying two cups in her hands. She handed him one. It didn't require any second guessing to figure what she had brought for them. Cappuccinos. After all, it was that one thing which was specific to them.

The drink was still warm and he took a sip while she gazed at the beautiful countryside which could be seen from there.

"Doesn't it look pretty from here? I love Christmas." She said cheerfully.

"And I hate Christmas."

"I know." She sighed and then looked at him. "That is why I decided to call you here. So that we can celebrate Christmas together."

She took his hand and led him to the wall so that he too could take a look at the pretty sight that the place had to offer them. The whole place was lit up in Christmas spirit. It was bright, cheerful and warm - the combination that he had eventually come to hate.

She rested her head on his shoulder gently taking him by surprise. His heart skipped a beat. Though he still wasn't certain about love, he couldn't really ignore the effect she had on him. He tried to be casual and just concentrated on his cappuccino.

She straightened in a minute or two and the two drank cappuccinos in silence. Even standing there with her like that was comforting. The calmness that he felt was something that he had longed for years. He knew too well that all this was temporary.

That the relief he currently felt would be gone by the time he'd reach his home. Yet staying here with her was far too tempting for him than to prepare himself for what he'd have to handle later at home.

She finally spoke after a long time-"I usually come here on Christmas Eve every year. Just looking at the busy streets makes you feel happy, don't you agree?"

"No, I don't. What's there to be happy in this?"

She shook her head no. "You're asking the wrong question. What's there to not be happy? Just look. People are going home."

"The way you look at things . . . Not everyone looks at them like that." He pointed out plainly.

"You mean you don't look at things like that. Well, being happy is not a state; it's an attitude."

"What is that even supposed to mean?"

"Remember how you had said to me the other day that I am too gentle and delicate for this world? That it would crush me?" She paused waiting for his response. He nodded. Of course, he remembered.

She continued-"Well, guess what? If that were the case, I would have been crushed already by this time. The world wouldn't have waited so long then."

"Huh?" He looked at her questioningly.

"It's simple really. Life treats you the way you treat it. You get what you give. I understand the bitterness and the resentment you feel for life. But truthfully what you feel and the way you live - it's a choice."

He countered-"Life doesn't work that way. At least, it hasn't ever for me. I've never had a reason to feel anything other than resentment, self-loathing and bitterness."

"Oh, but you have. Just look up at the sky. What do you feel?"

"Nothing." He shrugged. "Nothing at all."

"But have you ever seen the wonder in the eyes of a little kid when he looks up at the sky? Have you ever seen how he raises his hands in hopes of touching it? Or how he simply gazes in fascination and wonder unable to fathom it's vastness? Why is it that a kid experiences all this while you feel nothing at all? Because you're holding yourself back while that kid isn't."

He didn't say anything allowing the meaning of her words to settle in.

She continued further-"I know it's whole lot easier to say all this. And what you face is not at all easy. But it is okay to hope for the better. It's okay to dream. Because even when things go terribly wrong hope gives you the strength to hang on."

"Life has never given me any reason to hope. In fact, I do not even have the strength to fight for long enough." His voice was quiet.

"There's no wound so deep that nature can't heal. Just looking at the sky, don't you feel it? The strength to fight. The strength to not give up. The strength to hope for the better."

He looked up once again.

She was like-"Whenever you feel like you don't have the strength left in you to fight just look at the sky for awhile. I promise you that you'll feel hopeful and strong enough to carry on."

He nodded realising that just like that again she had given him another piece of the unfinished puzzle that he had become the years.

Strength.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:50 am
LJF wrote a review...

I LOVE this story so much! I know most people might be turned off by the characters not having names or any distinct details about their backgrounds, but that's my favorite part- that these characters could be anyone, anywhere. It makes them feel more personal.
There are some grammatical errors- sentence structuring, missing commas, etc, but I feel like the other reviewers went into those well enough. I noticed you spent "realised" with an s rather than a z- That's British English, right?
I really like that this story is conversation-based. Action-packed stories are nice, but heartfelt, bantering pieces are great too- and not nearly as common.
Good luck, and welcome to YWS!
-LJF

trulyness says...

Thank you for your feedback! Yeah, realised spelled with an 's' is British English. :)

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:13 pm
Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, trulyness. I am here to provide you a review. Let’s get started, shall we?

I. PLOT
The plot of the story, or I guess the moral, is that the world treat you the way you treat it. It seems like to me that the male character had an issue understanding the logic when the female character stated it. They are polar opposites and I love it. The story had a intriguing concept, and it’s amazing how you placed that moral into perspective.

II. NITPICKS & STUFF
Your setting of the story seems vague. You have stated that there are on a rooftop, but where at exactly? I think that this story was just focusing on the characters themselves and the moral behind the story, so maybe setting is not important in this story.

It seems like @TheBlueCat already pointed out grammar and punctuation mistakes, so there’s no need for a repeat right?

I liked how the female character shows a positive perspective on the world and the male character is negative about, or it’s more like he understands it, but chooses not to accept it because of how he is.

III. OVERALL
Overall, this was simply amazing. I enjoyed the moral ( concept? ) of the story as well as the characters ( especially since they are polar opposites. ) I am personally glad you didn’t add the romance aspect to this story, it would seem a bit too cliche if you did, right?
In the end, I enjoyed it. I hope you will post more future work soon because I enjoy your writing style.
Keep up the great work. Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day.

- Kanome

This review courtesy of

trulyness says...

Thank you! :)

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:06 pm
TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Hello trulyness! c: Cat here for a quick review! Let's get started then, shall we?

Characters
I know it may be a personal writer choice to not give the characters names, but I feel like not having them have names disconnects me from them? Like I can't relate to them as much and it make them feel less human honestly. I can see that they are pretty much polar opposites, with the girl being optimistic and the boy being pessimistic. My only complains with the boy is that we have no clue why he views the world this way. I also feel like he's a little unrealistic? I don't know, but I did barely have time to get to know them, and didn't really do so either.

Plot
The plot honestly felt kind of bland? Not much happened here. The girl invites the boy to meet her on a roof on Christmas eve. They talk a little bit about how the girl thinks he's too pessimistic and she tries to have him see the good she sees. We also know that they have a crush on each other. That's pretty much the sum of the story, and honestly feels quite boring.

Pacing
Your pacing was very slow, especially with it being a short story. Usually you have to speed up the pace a little for shorts so a lot quality stuff happens. We are able to assume some things, but this feels like you maybe plopped me in the middle of a novel?

Setting
A little descriptive. We know they're on a rooftop with a pretty view of the countryside, but that's it. I'm really curious as to what the countryside looks like, more than just beautiful. What's the weather like? Is it snowing, since it's Christmas eve, or do they live somewhere sunny? Is the sun setting? Is the sun already set? Is the moon shining or is it cloudy? Just some of the little things that can make the place feel real and 3 dimensional.

Spelling/grammar

Realizing is spelled with a z. You also misspelled it at the beginning of the story but I was still questioning on whether it was spelled wrong or not.

Specific line thoughts
She rested her head on his shoulder gently taking him by surprise.
Comma after 'gently'

That the relief he currently felt would be gone by the time he'd reach his home.
Here you started a new paragraph and I really stumbled over this line. I think you didn't mean to start a new paragraph, but this sentence also just sits wrong. I would eliminate the 'that' at the beginning and keep this on the previous paragraph.

Yet staying here with her was far too tempting for him than to prepare himself for what he'd have to handle later at home.
Whoa bessie. There is a lot going on in this sentence. It took more than a few re-reads to finally understand what you were attempting to say. May I just suggest a few word switcheroos and changes? Here's what I found read better "Yet staying here with her was far more tempting to him than having to prepare himself for what he'd have to handle at home later."

She finally spoke after a long time-"I usually come here on Christmas Eve every year.
End the first part with a period and a space after that.

Just looking at the busy streets makes you feel happy,
I'd change the 'you' to me since after that she is asking if he agrees with how she sees it.

She continued-"Well, guess what?
Same thing as I said before. The - doesn't really do anything in these situations; if anything it breaks up the dialogue from the tag before it and feels really disjointed. These three other ones I would recommend fixing as well.
He countered-"Life doesn't work that way.

She continued further-"I know it's whole lot easier to say all this.

She was like-"Whenever you feel like you don't have the strength left in you to fight just look at the sky for awhile.
Also on this last one, I don't like that beginning at all. It makes it feel like you are retelling a story and are being all 'she was like ___ and I was like ___' And comma after 'fight'.

Comma after 'anything'.

Because even when things go terribly wrong hope gives you the strength to hang on.
Comma after 'wrong'. Also bonus points for rhyming ;)

Overall, a really cute story! Great work and keep writing! c:
~Cat

This review courtesy of

trulyness says...

Thank you for your suggestions. As for realizing, it can be spelled with an 's' or a 'z' depending on the type of English used. I'm sorry for using a 'z' at some place and an 's' at other. It kinda happened because of two different auto corrects - one with the British English setting and the other with the American English setting. I'll fix it. I know it's annoying.

Other than that, thanks a tonne for the elaborate review. I'll make the rest of the changes.

And yes, this was written for a one shot contest of a novel. And one of the constraints was to not name the characters. I get it, that for people trying to read it as a standalone, the character of the boy seems a little vague.

Thank you so much again! Your review helped me a lot! :)

TheBlueCat says...

Ah, okay, I'm still not used to British English yet. Oh I see. I would maybe put that in an author's note at the beginning, but that's not that big of a deal. You're welcome! c:

akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon