z

Young Writers Society



Overcoming Jealousy

by trackgal6


September 1, 2007

Today is the first day of eighth grade. I want to cry because Laurie completely blew me off. So much for BFF. She was trying to impress some new boy and she acted like I didn't exist! Laurie thinks just because she is so perfect she can have everything. I always let it slide when we were friends, but now that she has no one to talk some logic into her head every once in a while, she's gonna be a wreck!

September 2, 2007

Well, of course the boy fell for Laurie. I found out his name-Mike Jier. I noticed he has the strangest eyes. They're a dark brown and they seem to stare right through who- or whatever he looks at. Laurie is obviously too absorbed in him to notice at all.

September 4, 2007

I've been watching Mike and I think there is something wrong with him. His eyes are always so strange and he makes weird jokes. He asked Laurie out on a date. They're going to a movie Saturday. I know I should tell her that she is dating some kind of freak, but I'm not going to help her after she hurt me like she did. The worst he can do is dump her, and that might wake her up. I don't think out of all her numerous boyfriends that she's ever been dumped. She always does the dumping, thinks she;s to good for them. She needs to be stood up every once in a while so that she realizes that she's not perfect. This boy might be all I need to get her back as my friend. I'm not saying anything at all to her. I'll be as good of a friend to her as she was to me!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 1:01 pm
trackgal6 says...



Here's as a short story. I changed the conflict a little because Jill has to be mad at Laurie, and this way Laurie doesn't sound so much like a slut. Tell me which one you prefer, short story or diary. Just a sample- tell me what you think. :D

I watched Laurie walk down the hall in front of me. My cheek still burned from where she had slapped me earlier that morning.

I went to my locker and jerked at my math book, pulling out two of my spirals and my library book onto the ground. Dania walked by laughing. Normallly, Laurie would've stood up for me, but she just watched. I wondered why on earth she was mad over something so small! It didn't make that much of a difference!




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 12:41 pm
trackgal6 says...



Okay, I need help. Should I just change it to a short story? I think it would be so much easier. I want the story to be about Laurie, because in the end something will happen to her, not Jill. I don't seem to be adding enough detail or interesting points through a diary. Maybe I'll write it as a short story and post it and see which is better. If anybody has any tips, let me know.




User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 72

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 12:26 pm
AndNeverAgainx3 wrote a review...



i like diary stories, but i think you should provide a little bit more information in the entries. we want to be introduced to the writer, not JUST laurie. unless you're doing some kind of thing where the whole story is really about laurie and someone else is narrating it through a diary. that would be really cool.
and if you ARE doing that, then we should find out more about laurie.




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 12:22 pm
trackgal6 says...



wow, thanks that was really helpful. I'm up to the challengeg! :D




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 4:41 am
Sam wrote a review...



Hey, Trackgal!

Cool story- diaries are always very fun to read. It's like real snooping, only with a lot better stories. :wink: I did like how realistic the piece was, too...very engaging.

There were a few things I think you should look at, though:

TEEN ANGST: Is not something you want in liberal amounts in your story. In small amounts- maybe a bit of boy troubles every now and again- it's okay, but still not great. You want really interesting, original conflict, right?

Here are a few tips:

- Don't get too caught up in 'grown up' drama. "Going out" is kind of a joke in middle school- no one ever goes to movies or anything, and it really doesn't change in eighth grade, either. (The last movie I went to go see was Blades of Glory with my band camp pals. Really not that glamorous.)

What makes writing about people our age exciting is the unique conflicts that come up- with school and parents and trying to figure out where you fit in. Besides, boys are odd. Why spend all your time writing about them?

- Make sure you've got original characters. If you're not quite sure where to begin, sift through the Writing Tips forum to find ones about characters- Snoink wrote one, "Five Steps to Great Characters" (or something like that) that I live by.

Another good thing to try is the "Original Fiction Mary Sue Litmus Test". Run it by Google and you should be able to find it- it's a very good indicator of whether or not your character is original and realistic.

I'd also suggest you join the 'Character Development' usergroup. It's a great way to get involved in YWS- and it's got some of the coolest exercises around. Last summer, when it was at its peak, it was really amazing...there are all kinds of things you learn about your characters when you ramble about them for awhile.

- Make sure you've got likeable characters, as well. Laurie's supposed to be your main character's best friend, and yet I absolutely hate her because she sounds like...well, a slut, in blunt terms. She's mean and backstabbing and has a bazillion boyfriends. Not the kind of person I'd want to hang around.

BALANCE: Finding the balance between different elements in a story is super-hard. When do you put in dialogue, and when do you change conflicts?

The main thing I noticed about this story was the fact that it was all about Laurie and Mike! This is your character's diary, so it's going to be about what's mainly on her mind, but there's got to be something going on that involves her, right?

Diaries are tough because it's hard to show and not tell. That's where actually keeping a diary or a blog helps- in order to keep people reading, you have to find out how to format it so that it's interesting. Simply telling us about what happened won't do. You've either got to write it out in short story or script form, or ramble about something you like in a coherent manner. If it's all, "OMGAZZZ! I HATE HER! I WANT TO DIE!" everyone's going to start laughing.

That's not a good thing. You don't want people laughing about your life, do you?

So, that's my challenge to you. Work on some character development and keep a diary- after all, truth is stranger than fiction. If you pay attention to everything that happens to you (even the mundane), you'll have some pretty awesome characters and you'll completely rock the diary format.

___

Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions, okay? I hope to see some more diary entries soon...:D




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 3:17 am
trackgal6 says...



Yeah its a diary. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the tips, I'll go back and add more detail! :D




User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 1840
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 12:48 am
Loose wrote a review...



Ive been going through a phase lately where Im addicted to stories that arent just "chapter one chapter two chapter three" 2 pages long. AND I LOVED THIS!! Its a diary right? Its pretty cool.

ONLY it seems a little empty to me. There's no defined plot line, no real hook at the start and not a lot of description. Maybe you should write a bit more to help support this.





In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening