z

Young Writers Society



Home

by tosh


Clearly I am indecisive, and bad at titles. If anyone has any suggestions for a better title, do please tell me, it’s killing me.

I want this sucker to be good, and it isn’t, not yet. So, my dear YWSers, help me please?

Removed because I'm submitting this. Thank you all for your help!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:05 pm
tosh says...



@ Chocoholic, thank you! Alej is the Alejandro mentioned in the beginning, would it make more sense if I kept his name as Alejandro throughout?

@ Clograbby, I really appreciate the feedback, it's good to have someone look at it who doesn't know everything that took place out of the story, you know? Also, I am flattered by the Allende thing.


A reallyreally late thank you to you both for the critiques! (Is this considered resurrection if the lateness is due to me being on holiday?)




User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 402

Donate
Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:50 am
Clo wrote a review...



Hey Tosh! Welcome to YWS!

*knows Spanish* Maybe you should have a key somewhere for those who don't.

Describe Alej a little more. I'm a little unsure why he should be proud, or why she thinks that at the time that she does.

I do like this a lot. It reminds me House on Mango Street, except much more condensed. One thing I kept thinking the entire time: How old is this girl? She seems very young at the beginning, and then suddenly he's in love and moving to America. You could detail her development as a girl. A child, suddenly a teenager, suddenly entering the world.

I think you need to make this longer. Not exceptionally long, but add more detail to the scenarios that you have here.




User avatar
516 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 516

Donate
Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:48 am
chocoholic wrote a review...



This was nice. Very calming. I was a bit confused at first, but I soon got the hang of what you were doing and I really began to enjoy it properly.

Do you have a translation for the Spanish? I could make it out by the other things you said, I think, but I'd like to know what a couple of the phrases were.

Now for your critique!

Alejandro bolted his toast


bolted down

been five, six then


five or six

Alej, Alej, little brother – you would have been proud.


Unless I've forgotten something, you haven't mentioned Alej before, so I don't know why he'd be proud. You need to tell us a bit more.

That's all I could find that I felt I needed to point out, although I'm sure others will be better nit-pickers than I am.

I really liked this. It was sweet, and sort of pretty, if you understand me. I'm jut wondering, is Ama mother? Because I gave up Spanish and as a result forgot everything apart from Hola and Adios.

Good job.





I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal