A Night's Tale

by torsa_n_muse

A night’s tale

He sang all night, no matter what!
Darkness and its black gala mantle,
Was tightening it grip,
Knotting and trying to suffocate us.
His subtle fingers could not stand the toil-
They ashamedly bled, bled and…bled
Interestingly, he played with that red…

The soothing dew poured all along,
Burning moments with scorching zest.
He kissed them with his tongue though,
Fireflies instigated ran away into the black
Yet he sang on…

The fall of yellow leaves
On the steadfast journey of time-
The swaying mood,
The broken branches… yet,
Sitting by the firelight,
He sang on…all night.

I was panicked alone,
While the whole earth was deaf in sleep.
Even’s water was stagnant in deep…
The forest was black with carpet of grass
I only lay helpless without any fight
Yet he comforted me, as he sang all night.

By and by even stars fell down,
Tempest came to test his might . . .
Time doomed with no fate bright.
Yet he went on…to sing all night.

But at the morn when the time was mine
I tried to get hold of him…
The eternal singer who had
Comforted me in dark.
I wanted to pay him tribute,
When I had shine.

Oh me! He was nowhere around.
No matter what there was no sound…
I needed him not, ’tis true…
At least I could have bid a loyal adieu.
In that forest I looked for him in each avenue.
Which were still soaking time in
Sublime drops of eve’s dew.

I tried and gazed on, wherever travelled
My narrowed humanly sight.
But I guess you get some only in need’s hour.
He was nowhere when things got right;
He-who sang all night.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:25 pm
Boni_Bee says...

No worries, Torsa, I'm sorry if I misinterprited the theme, but I just found it very unclear, and I wouldn't be suprised if others did too. I only commented on what I saw, and I didn't make guesses, so you have a truthful critique, but don't worry about it, I don't mind if you don't use the suggestions, but if it was me, I would. The poem really didn't have anything for me.

Anyway, good job.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:46 pm
torsa_n_muse says...

hi boni,

:D i agree to some of your comments but by and large you have misinterpreted the piece.
here first of all the 'he' is the almighty our protector and not the 'night' as you may have thought.

Boni_Bee wrote:He sang all night, no matter what!
Darkness and its black gala mantle,
Was tightening it grip,
Knotting and trying to suffocate us.
They ashamedly bled, bled and…bled
Interestingly, he played with that red… - the first half of this stanza was good, but the last 3 lines ruined what could have been a good dramatic piece, and not horror And don't ryme a small part of the stanza, either do the whole thing in ryme, or none.

i have used half-rhyme pattern in this poem inspired by wilfred owen in order to portray the impulsiveness of theor as if she were in a semi-concious state and she is in such a state, later mentioned in the poem. lying helpless in darkness of the world around, deserted and panicked.she is tormented so psychologically she cannot take in how someone can dare to play with the perils. :)

The soothing dew poured all along,
Burning moments with scorching zest. - you contradicted yourself here...
He kissed them with his tongue though,
Yet he sang on… - 'instigate' means to 'urge on; goad', and the way you put it in that line didn't fit, since fireflies don't bite/sting

i know 'instigate's meaning and here it isnt mal used. here it denotes that it is the strength in almighty to stand fast in darkness which is reflected in his creation-as feeble as a firefly which lives only for a few hours have been created so as to courageously take on the night. thus, the almighty'instigates' :wink:
The fall of yellow leaves
On the steadfast journey of time-
The swaying mood,
The broken branches… yet,
Sitting by the firelight,
He sang on…all night. - the first three lines of this stanza made it sound like it was in the daytime, and didn't tye in with the theme. I don't like how you keep repeating that he is singing...and its not very clear that the night is singing

never ever have i mentioned its day time and hence the three lines are very much a part of the poem.

I was panicked alone,
Even’s water was stagnant in deep… - do you mean 'even'? You have started ryming here, and it doesn't sound good with the rest being just plain.
The forest was black with carpet of grass - 'carpets of grass' would be better, and I haven't heard of grass being naturally black...
I only lay helpless without any fight - 'only lay helpless'? That doesn't make sense

the wordeven here stands for the standard poetic abbreviation of the word 'evening', evening stars have departed in the darkest hour of night-thats what it means.
the grass is mentioned to be black because that is what they look like in the dead of night, sans light they cannot reflect their green tinge.
:? i dont know why 'only lay helpless' doesnt make sense to you, you may not like it[personal choice] but its incorporation in the poem is inevitable to focus on the state of the narrator.

By and by even stars fell down, - don't use the word 'even' again, or at least, not so soon...
Tempest came to test his might . . . - 'tempests' would sound a lot better.
Time doomed with no fate bright.
Yet he went on…to sing all night. - aaak, I don't like that last line!!! Its really bugging me. Maybe every second verse you could say it, but not each one!

But at the morn when the time was mine
I tried to get hold of him…
The eternal singer who had
Comforted me in dark.
I wanted to pay him tribute,
When I had shine. - you really need some proper words for imagery, if you were trying to ryme with the first line...that doesn't work

the last word 'shine' keeps with the theme of the poem. shine definitely means lusture and now i guess you can tally with the poem. the poem has irregular rhyme pattern, so it doesnt really try to enforce any rhyme.

Oh me! He was nowhere around. - do you mean 'oh my!'???
No matter what there was no sound… - put a comma after 'what'
I needed him not, ’tis true…
At least I could have bid a loyal adieu. - I like this bit of ryme, but it does't fit the overall thing...
Which were still soaking time in
Sublime drops of eve’s dew. - this is probably the only verse I like, although everything rymed on a 'ew' sound

:P nice that you liked the stanza but perhaps just on its lyrical merit. i wonder, what meaning you thought it had!

My narrowed humanly sight.
He was nowhere when things got right; - this is ok, although still bland
He-who sang all night. - That is the only time I like the 'sang all night' part

Ok...! I hope my critque helped :? It could be a very interesting, dark, and dramatic poem, if you used good imagery, and not plain words that you try and ryme. Some of the words you use are rather pathetic. There is such a thing as a Dictionary and Thesaurus, and I suggest you use them, quick smart! The theme for this poem was good, but you didn't do it justice. I think it needs a lot of work done on it, and I'd like to see a revised version. All the best!

8) thank you for complimenting on the theme! :? but i guess you should re-read once to tally the poem with the actual 'theme'. the poem doesnt try to be dramatic or dark in any way, it just talks of a plain weird experience and when i use a narrator its more of an visual account, so thats what it is, in clear english. the usage of words compliment the real theme, which by the spiritual message of the poem is quite clear. i guess you just tried to follow the superficial structural patterns and the metaphor instead of going deep. in all probability this belongs to the genre of 'allegory'. i hope now you dont find the poem so weak! and in case you still find faults i would welcome your criticism. i know it has some, though not the ones you pointed.

but thanks for reading carefully and commenting.

-torsa

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:37 pm
Boni_Bee wrote a review...

He sang all night, no matter what!
Darkness and its black gala mantle,
Was tightening it grip,
Knotting and trying to suffocate us.
They ashamedly bled, bled and…bled

The soothing dew poured all along,
He kissed them with his tongue though,
The fall of yellow leaves
On the steadfast journey of time-
The swaying mood,
The broken branches… yet,
Sitting by the firelight,

I was panicked alone,

Time doomed with no fate bright.

But at the morn when the time was mine
I tried to get hold of him…
The eternal singer who had
Comforted me in dark.
I wanted to pay him tribute,

I needed him not, ’tis true…
Which were still soaking time in

My narrowed humanly sight.

Who knows anything about anyone, let alone themselves.
— Hank Green