z

Young Writers Society



The Hottest Day Of School For Brett

by tommyknocker


Everyone was eying the clock on the creamy colored wall not minding the constant drawl from their (bald) maths teacher. They looked at the clock, as if it were some peculiar and exotic animal in a zoo and much more interesting than the teacher.

The class room was like a kiln. The fans worked only to push the cocktail of sweat and deodorant around the room. The sun reflected of Mr Grady's head like it was emitting the light, and it hurt Brett's eyes just to look in that direction. Brett looked down at his work instead. He had only attempted five questions in the one hour period. He frowned and raised his hand and scratched his hair, and making a "I'm puzzled gesture," as Mr Grady swept past towards the back of the room to break up an argument over who was entitled to the last piece of chewing gum. Brett waited, he knew what lay directly behind him, I must not look over there, I mustn't he thought to himself, he then took a big breath (like he was getting ready to blow into a balloon) and turned around slowly in his chair meaning to look over at Mr Grady.

But his heart melted and his jaw loosened.

She was like a magnet for his steel blue eyes, he couldn't look away. Brett licked his lips, they were dry and rough like sandpaper. He didn't care, he only cared for the girl with the shiny raven colored hair that was perfect in every way, even in the sauna like temperature of the class room it glowed and shimmered serenely. Brett yearned to feel her hair in his hands, to caress her angelic face and to get lost in her deep green eyes.

"Everything alright Brett?" Mr Grady inquired. He looked bored and he too eyed the clock on the wall.

Brett fluttered his eyes for a moment, he was still caught up in the moment. But he came to his senses in a hurry, he felt every pair of eyes were looking at him. Mr Grady was still looking impatiently down at him, it was awfully quite and he could hear the ticking of the clock on the wall. Counting down the minutes to the bell.

Mr Grady inquired again, "Brett you look awfully dazed, you sure your alright?"

Before he could speak, a voice erupted from the front of the room, "Brett has the hots for Jasmine!" This was met by raucous laughter from everybody and even someone pounding the desk with his fist.

Brett could feel blood rush to his face and up his neck. He looked like he had been badly sun burnt.

"That's quite enough." Mr Grady said as he marched back to the front of the room. Brett didn't dare look up for the rest of the period, he was rewarded with an extremely stiff neck afterward.

Brett went immediately to his locker with his head down. Not wanting to meet anyone's gaze. He heard someone call out the old nursery rhyme about kissing in the tree. He ignored it and collected his bag and made for the end of the corridor and freedom.

The outside air was refreshing cool on his flushed skin, he breathed in heavily. It was sweet and crisp, he felt calmer like a drug addict finally getting his hit of cocaine.

It wasn't until he was nearing home that Brett did look up, his neck made a rather loud click, like when you click two coins together. The grass and shrubs on the nature's strip were beginning to shrivel and die, a side affect of the searing heat of the past week.

Brett began to whistle.

But a voice stopped him in his tracks. " Hey, wait up."

Brett stopped abruptly. He could hear footsteps behind him, he bit his lips and closed his eyes. He hoped it was all in his mind and it was only a stranger that walked past and not her.

No such luck.

She stopped next to Brett and looked up at him with a look of puzzlement on her face.

"Gee, before you couldn't stop looking at me and now you won't even acknowledge me?" Jasmine said, looking deeply into the side of Brett's jaw.

There was a brief pause, Brett only looked down the road not wanting to look at Jasmine, for fear of embarrassment or even abuse. Jasmine rolled her eyes and moved her face up and in toward Brett and kissed him on the cheek.

Brett finally looked down he looked star struck. (Or drunk) His attention was now purely on her and he half smiled down at her.

"Is that what you wanted? Or did you want more? They way you were looking at me was kind of creepy Brett." She said this and flirtatiously flicked her hair and began to walk again.

Brett started after her, he felt tongue tied and his throat was drier than ever. His cheek still buzzed with warmth from where she had kissed him.

He finally found what he thought was the right words to say during the circumstances. "Does this mean we are going out?" He asked dumbly, his eyes were sparkling like spring water.

Jasmine grabbed him around the waist tightly and said, "Going out where?"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 1785
Reviews: 62

Donate
Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 pm
tommyknocker says...



Hey everyone thanks for the comments.

I understand the characters need more fleshing out, but I didn't want a too big of a story. But maybe that's just laziness on my part....

Thanks!

P.S: The thing about the teachers bald head is true. My maths teacher's head IS a light bulb, :smt002




Random avatar

Points: 1040
Reviews: 22

Donate
Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:44 pm
HessicaJolt wrote a review...



So I agree with the rest of them that this story could be a lot better with the help of more details on the characters. Maybe even more interesting with more of a conflict. Something to keep you guessing, or to make you relate to the piece. Over all, I really like this. It shows a lot of talent. Your similes are awesome! Sorry for my lack of correct terms, but that's the best word I could think of. Make sure to look over and edit your piece so that small mistakes like "off" being "of" can be demolished.
Other than that, great job, and I would love to read more. :D




User avatar
489 Reviews


Points: 17895
Reviews: 489

Donate
Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:02 pm
Dreamwalker wrote a review...



Hello there! Walker here with a review!

Alright, so, my structures 'Nit-Picks' and my overall so, on with the show!

Nit-Picks:

Everyone was eying the clock on the creamy colored wall not minding the constant drawl from their (bald) maths teacher.


Firstly, try not using brackets in fiction. Its really not necessary especially with all the types of punctuation like dashes and commas out there so you don't have to use it.

Secondly, this is a rather long; kind of run-onish sentence for the beginning of a story. You want to catch your reader's attention. This is a little bit 'I'm going to start you off with me telling you whats happening' which isn't necessarily the best way you could have approached this piece.

Thirdly, 'maths' should just be 'math'.

They looked at the clock, as if it were some peculiar and exotic animal in a zoo and much more interesting than the teacher.


In the first sentence, you have the word clock. You repeat it in the second sentence which creates a bit of unwanted repetition. I would change this. Secondly, take the 'and' out from behind 'zoo' an change it to a semicolon. You are using that connective word far too much.

The fans worked only to push the cocktail of sweat and deodorant around the room.


I would specify that its a stench and not the actual substance.

The sun reflected of Mr Grady's head like it was emitting the light,


'Of' should be 'off'. That and change 'the light' to 'it itself'. Two pieces of light imagery in once sentence can become confusing to the senses.

He frowned and raised his hand and scratched his hair, and making a "I'm puzzled gesture,"


You favour the word 'and' which gets repetitive and overdone. Try using different connective words! There are so many so as to kill this kind of redundancy completely.

Brett waited, he knew what lay directly behind him, I must not look over there, I mustn't he thought to himself, he then took a big breath (like he was getting ready to blow into a balloon) and turned around slowly in his chair meaning to look over at Mr Grady.


This is a sheer run-on sentence. The first comma is spliced. Change it to a period. Then you switch randomly to first person which, if you are generally a first person writer who sometimes writes in third, this can often enough happen. It appears, though, that you were making it more of a thought process. So, as anyone would say, put it in italics.

Thirdly, the comma behind 'himself' is spliced. Change it to a period.

She was like a magnet for his steel blue eyes, he couldn't look away.

Spliced comma. Change to a period or semicolon.

Brett licked his lips, they were dry and rough like sandpaper. He didn't care, he only cared for the girl with the shiny raven colored hair that was perfect in every way, even in the sauna like temperature of the class room it glowed and shimmered serenely. Brett yearned to feel her hair in his hands, to caress her angelic face and to get lost in her deep green eyes.


This is filled with spliced commas. I'm sure, with the help of my other references, you can spot them out ;D

He looked bored and he too eyed the clock on the wall.


Change 'and' to 'as'. That way, you aren't continuing the same repetition.

Brett fluttered his eyes for a moment, he was still caught up in the moment. But he came to his senses in a hurry, he felt every pair of eyes were looking at him. Mr Grady was still looking impatiently down at him, it was awfully quite and he could hear the ticking of the clock on the wall.


A bunch more spliced commas here.

"Brett you look awfully dazed, you sure your alright?"


Rule number one in the book of grammatical rules. When you are specifying towards someone else about something they are going to do, it should be 'you're'. If you had 'you are' in this sentence, it would be proper grammar. Think about it like that.

This was met by raucous laughter from everybody and even someone pounding the desk with his fist.


Change 'and even someone pounding the' to 'which caused someone to go so far as to pound a'.

Brett didn't dare look up for the rest of the period, he was rewarded with an extremely stiff neck afterward.


Comma splice. Should be a period or a semicolon.

Brett went immediately to his locker with his head down. Not wanting to meet anyone's gaze.


These two sentences should be one. Change the period to a comma.

He heard someone call out the old nursery rhyme about kissing in the tree.


Change 'the tree' to 'a tree'. There isn't just 'one' tree on earth.

The outside air was refreshing cool on his flushed skin, he breathed in heavily. It was sweet and crisp, he felt calmer like a drug addict finally getting his hit of cocaine.


Two comma splices.

It wasn't until he was nearing home that Brett did look up, his neck made a rather loud click, like when you click two coins together. The grass and shrubs on the nature's strip were beginning to shrivel and die, a side affect of the searing heat of the past week.


Two more comma splices. The second should be made a semicolon.

That and you use the word 'click' twice in a sentence which creates redundancy. Try not to repeat nouns, adjectives, and adverbs twice in a paragraph, let alone a sentence.

He could hear footsteps behind him, he bit his lips and closed his eyes
.

Spliced comma.

She stopped next to Brett and looked up at him with a look of puzzlement on her face.


You repeat the word 'look'.


"Gee, before you couldn't stop looking at me and now you won't even acknowledge me?" Jasmine said,


Take it from a girl. Jessica Alba wouldn't have the balls to say something so... immodest to someone else, no matter how much that boy stared. If she's wrong, which there is always a chance she could be, that embarrassment is enough to kill any chance of her ever repeating such a stunt.

So I wouldn't say something so 'upfront'. Its a little... unbelievable.

There was a brief pause, Brett only looked down the road not wanting to look at Jasmine


Comma splice.

Brett finally looked down he looked star struck.


Repeated the word 'look'.

Brett started after her, he felt tongue tied and his throat was drier than ever.


Comma splice.

He finally found what he thought was the right words to say during the circumstances.


Its only one cirumstance, so take the s out.

He asked dumbly, his eyes were sparkling like spring water.


Comma splice.

Overall:

I know I appear to be a complete nazi when it comes to grammar and punctuation, but in my heart of hearts, I needed to point them out xD.

Either way, you have a really cute idea for a short story. The ending was sweet and the character was interestingly rounded. It was nice to see it from a boys perspective instead of a girls which is what usually fills short stories like this, so I found it rather refreshing.

What you need to work on is your vocabulary, your grammar, your punctuation, and your description. We didn't get a lot about the room they were in, or the road they were walking on. It turned into almost a relay of events instead of an actual short story, which isn't always a good thing.

So, if I were you, I would go back and reread this a couple times. Add more, fix up the mistakes, and really make it shine. It is a cute storyline so it would be a shame to see it end here.

That being said, I did tell you that a lot of your spliced commas could be replaced with semicolons. That isn't permission to change all of them into semicolons. Just a choice few that you think should be connected and not cut off with a period.

Other than that, this was refreshing and a simple, easy read! You keep writing and I'll keep reviewing!
~Walker




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 58

Donate
Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:21 pm
kathy45662 wrote a review...



Hey, good story. I noticed a couple of grammar mistakes.

their (bald) maths teacher.


Take out the s on maths teacher. It's only one teacher. :)

Mr Grady inquired

Mr. Grady inquired. Don't forget the period with Mr. or Mrs.

it was awfully quite and he could hear the ticking of the clock on the wall. Counting down the minutes to the bell.



Here I think you meant to say quiet instead of quite. I'd write it like this: It was so quiet you could only hear the second hand ticking on the clock. Brett counted down the minutes until the bell.

Brett finally looked down he looked star struck. (Or drunk) His attention was now purely on her and he half smiled down at her.



Brett finally looked down at her. He had a star struck look (or he was drunk). His attention was solely on Jasmine and half smiled down at her.

These are just what I saw. :) You are a good writer though and look forward to see more.




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:59 pm
hawkfame says...



i liked the your style of writing but a little more insight into the characters' (Brett and Jasmine) will make the stor much better.... otherwise good work. keep it up!!




User avatar


Points: 790
Reviews: 2

Donate
Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:29 pm
Sadhana wrote a review...



So. I liked the way you've written the story. the descriptions. Especially the way you've described things like the Math teacher's pate shining so much that it was like a source of light. It made me laugh. There are some changes you could make, to make this better.

Firstly, you could tell us more about Brett. What sort of a person was he? Why did he start liking Jasmine? Were they friends from before? I felt that the develpopment of the main characters fell short. The reader doesn't know anything about Jasmine, except for her hair colour. Also, the way Jasmine easily falls for Brett is not that believable either. OR maybe it is, but the reader would be confused because they don't really know what sort of a person she is.

Secondly, I'd advise you edit out the starting and concentrate more on the latter part of the story, developing the characters, maybe decribing some moments between Jasmine and Brett towards the end.

I hope this review helps. I really enjoyed writing it. : )





Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx