z

Young Writers Society



Short Story

by tommyknocker


“You’re not really here”.

I frowned. “Pardon?”

You’re not here” the woman repeated, turning to face me. Her irises looked luminescent in the neon glow of the subway station, “you can’t be”

I shifted across, escaping inches at a time. Who was this lunatic.

“You ain’t real Mr Hocking” her words echoed in the deserted subway. I was biting my lip nervously. I stared at the woman, she was dressed in a hand knitted jumper with a few holes in it. They looked to me like bullet holes. “Look I’m leaving” I said as I stood up, my knees popping like toy pistols. Suddenly her hand shot and firmly clasped onto my bicep. Her was as strong as a vice. “You’re in denial my young associate” she said dreamingly. Her stare was cold as the night air and truthful too. I sat down with a dull thud on the bench. “Why?” I said yielding to her persistence. “Do you have visions, do you fell strange?” she inquired. Her big blue eyes stared deep into mine. “I keep hearing a train and then…nothing…Just a train. She nodded like one of those bobbing head dogs. I decided to look down at the grimy cement floor. Her smile creeped me out. Her knowing smile. Then she laughed. It sent a cold shiver down my spine. “Your dead, never again will you see your family, dead, dead you silly fool” she cackled. Her long earrings swung rapidly back and forth. She clasped her hands together to try and stop her hysterics. I turned my gaze upwards hoping that this was some kind of horrible dream. “You’re a fool, a drunken idiot” the lady said with malicious laughter. She got up slowly holding the small of her back as if it may collapse on her. I watched her go. Her shabby coat looked like an oily rag in the distance. She continued to screech back at me “Murderer murderer!”

until she had disappeared. It seemed to me as if she just melted into nothingness before my very eyes. Like she was apparition. Deathly silence followed her departure. I coughed into my sleeve. Blood began to drip from my mouth. It splattered on the cement turning it a burnt red colour. My teeth felt like splinters digging into my tender gums. I was too fatigued to be surprised. I didn’t feel any feel pain. I spat my teeth out like peas. They clicked like pebbles on the cement. I felt behind my back. My spine was shattered and blood dripped from skull down my cheeks. I could smell the salty rusty aroma of my own blood as my body changed into a shattered corpse.

I slumped into the seat sighing, and that’s when you turned up to tell me I had been drunk and that I’d fell off into the tracks knocking a woman down with me instantly being killed by the passing train. You know what God? I miss being alive already.

THE END


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 1608
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:54 am
Iamyoursacrifice wrote a review...



I really do like this story, welldone on creating such an interesting storyline, but you have missed some simple punctuation at the beginning of the story such as(#FF0000 ">",)it wouldn't take long to correct and it's only those sorts of things. You just have to correct that and it would be the perfect short story. Thanks for writing such a terrific piece.

Iamyoursacrifice xxx




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 4357
Reviews: 13

Donate
Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:43 am
FlyingInEbony wrote a review...



Hi!

I liked your story, it was captivating. Kind of grotesque with your vivid descriptions. :D I agree with most of the reviews that talk about grammar, punctuation, capitalization and things like that. However, I wondered if you would explain all the underlying motives of Mr. Hocking and the lady-ghost more clearly. For example, why did Mr. Hocking grab the lady when he was falling? Was it a natural instinct because somebody pushed him? Are both of the characters seeing visions of each other, if they are ghosts? As Karma pointed out, you kind of crammed all the revelations in the last paragraph. Maybe you could stretch out the story a little bit.

I also had a question about your voice in this story. I understand that its narrator is Mr. Hocking, but your voice intends that he is of a younger nature. I would say that the narrator is young, maybe a teenager, because of the metaphors you used. For example,

tommyknocker wrote: Deathly silence followed her departure. I coughed into my sleeve. Blood began to drip from my mouth. It splattered on the cement turning it a burnt red colour.
The sentences are contrasts of each other. What do you intend the character to be?

Hope this helps. =)




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 1785
Reviews: 62

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:17 pm
tommyknocker says...



Hey, it wasn't harsh. Thanks!
I wrote this for a competition a while back and it had to be under 500 words so that's why the ending may feel compact,abrupt and maybe anti-climatic?
But still thanks for the tips.




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 5578
Reviews: 31

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:26 pm
Coffee_and_Karma wrote a review...



Hello! I'm Karma. Your story was very interesting, but it could use a little bit of help.

First: Nitpicks

You’re not here” the woman repeated, turning to face me. Her irises looked luminescent in the neon glow of the subway station, “you can’t be”

Get rid of the "you can't be". It give off an air of denial, and this isn't the vibe we get from this woman for the rest of the story.

Who was this lunatic.

Replace the period with a question mark.

I'm not even going to take a crack at the big middle paragraph. Just remember, every time a new person speaks, start a new paragraph.

I didn’t feel any feel pain.

How can your teeth feel like splinters if you can't feel pain? I would nix this sentence.

I spat my teeth out like peas. They clicked like pebbles...

The two metaphors next to each other is kind of repetitive. I would get rid of one of the metaphors, which ever you like. Maybe even combine the two sentences.

Now for the big problems:

1.
I slumped into the seat sighing, and that’s when you turned up to tell me I had been drunk and that I’d fell off into the tracks knocking a woman down with me instantly being killed by the passing train. You know what God? I miss being alive already.

*headdesk* Come on! You can do a much better reveal than that! You build this big, intriguing story, and then all of a sudden, you just tell us what happened. It just seems like a cop-out. You said he was "having visions". Why not have him see what happened? Something, anything but this little explanation paragraph!

2.
Why is the woman he just killed acting all weird and creepy? Honestly, it makes no sense. First, why would she figure it out before he did? Second, I can understand her being angry, or trying to make him feel bad. But the way she acted was not the way a normal ghost-lady confronting her ghost-killer would act. It feels like you had her act the way she did so you could have the creep factor of a weird lady. When you consider what happened to her, her actions make no sense.

Okay, that was longer than I wanted it to be, and maybe harsher. Sorry about that. But your story was pretty good actually. And at least, in no place was it boring. :) You show lots and lots of Promise, with a capital P. Keep writing!

~Karma ;)




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 4054
Reviews: 27

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:55 pm
Critiq wrote a review...



Hm... interesting, interesting. I'm confused, but interested. But first off, there are a few grammatical problems in this. First of all, whenever you have dialogue by a different person, you need to start a new paragraph. Elsewise, it can be extremely confusing, like here. You use tags, but it still could do with a little spacing, so everything doesn't... blend together. You also need to read this out loud, to catch a few errors here and there, which do detract from the story. Make sure you insert a comma whenever there is a natural pause, as many commas seem conspicuously absent here. And finally, check to see you chose the right punctuation marks for certain places. I'm sure you will get it, if you just read it over again.

As for the prose itself, it is both efficient and confusing. You write well. It's not perfect, but it seems very good. But the narrative is a bit baffling. I get that she died, and that this is sort of a last vision, but other than that I'm lost. There's a lot of unanswered questions. Why does she not think she is dead, namely. And who is this person who slumps into the seat at the end? Has Mr. Hocking come alive again, in another sort of afterlife? Or is it the corpse? Or is Mr. Hocking just watching this happen? I know you know the answer, but it just isn't clear to the reader, and just makes them wonder "why?"

Maybe I'm missing something, but this piece seems to need a little more detail, to answer some questions that plague the reader. Working on the grammar would help a lot, too. Overall, you are a very good writer. But this story is the equivalent of the character waking up from a dream at the end. It seems tidy and nice, but it leaves more questions than answers. Think it through a bit.

Keep writing,
~Critiq




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 1380
Reviews: 7

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:55 pm
taylawritesbooks wrote a review...



you have a really good vocabulary, im jealous haha
the sort of twist at the end, like the way you died and stuff was really good.
like you draw the reader in and theyre like "what the hell is going on?" haha
then the end reveals it all, really good :)
just a few mistakes with grammar though, look out for that :)
hope i helped!





My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.
— Bishop Desmond Tutu