z

Young Writers Society



The Silent Circus

by timjim77


The deluded sound of mournful sighs resounds through a marble cavern, dimly lit by stolid flames. Men push back their hairlines, while women lean on one another. The confessional is empty, the ancient sins wafting through the thick air, already breathed a thousand times. An awkward silence follows someone’s gasp for air, broken by the footsteps of an unsure apprentice. In the aisle lay a dead man, comfortable in his eternal slumber. His spirit hops about the warped pews, but finds only closed off hearts and troubled minds. A dirty man with jet black hair, and blackened hands and a blackened soul, looks on from his miserable position, at the silent circus. Checking his watch, he finds he has all the time in the world. The preacher climbs from his throne of self, only to journey so far as a pulpit, where he secretes empty words that stain the already tarnished glass. The pillars turn their heads in shame. A child laughs, answered by his echo, and feels the coldness of the place. He begins to cry, and a mother mistakenly touches him, and pain surges through his every limb. The minister reads from his book with inept inflection, typical of those void of empathy. Uneasiness settles in the heart, as the problem of what to do arises. For in feeling nothing, you become nothing, and you gnaw away at your spirit. The minister beckons his child to draw near, bringing with him smoke and confusion. I stand at the side, watching the cavalcade ensue, as the priest blesses an empty coffin. I fill with irony and laugh, remembering better days, and better funerals.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:21 pm
Snoink says...



You're welcome. :)

When I say "abstract" I mean it isn't specific.

Most of this description is transcendent. You use very specific details to make a place seem blurry and confused so that it becomes almost surreal. Yes, this is what is happening. The details seem to support that the funeral is going on. But at the same time, the details are too exact, too restricting to seem real, and thus they seem detached. A detached reality. That's why this piece is good.

By going from very specific words and details to the abstract with that one little sentence, you are shattering the mood you've created. That's why I think you should make those words a little bit more specific.

And I think that wil help you go from third to first better... a consistant tone does wonders for transitions.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 212

Donate
Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:37 pm
timjim77 says...



Why is abstract meaningless? I intentionally made it abstract, for that is the feeling at a funeral. Emotions are mixed, mind is blurred. I deleted the organ part. Thanks.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:22 am
Snoink wrote a review...



It's okay. There are some parts where the symbolism gets overbearing. "The organ plays a surreal song, while reality waits at the doorways." In this line, the word "reality" sounds out of place.

Also, when I first read this, I thought it was going to be in third person, but at the very end, you have it in first. It's quite a start to read it.

Also, this line sounds awkward: "The minister beckons his child to draw near, bringing with him smoke and confusion." Smoke and confusion? Do you mean incense instead of smoke? Your metaphors become a little bit too abstract, and by becoming too abstract, they become meaningless. Try to find a different metaphor that clarifies what you are trying to say.




User avatar
411 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 411

Donate
Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:11 am
Sohini wrote a review...



Wow this piece was absolutely fantastic. I loved the way you made the funeral scene so lively in a unique and great way. There was an enchanting flow in it. I really admire your writing style. Most-no-all of the sentences was one of a kind and simply too good! I really liked this work.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 212

Donate
Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:09 am
timjim77 says...



No, though I've heard of Between the Buried & Me. Not a fan of the genre, per se. But not having heard the record, can't say.




Random avatar

Points: 1078
Reviews: 333

Donate
Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:38 pm
emotion_less says...



I really just skimmed it. It sounded pretty good, but it was a bit clumped, so I didn't feel like reading it all...

But honestly? The real reason I even clicked this was because it's the name of a CD by a band I really like. Any connections? :/





Stupid risks make life worth living.
— Homer Simpson