Fetus

by timjim77

Fetus

Scene I

[The stage is dark. a sole light shines on a man. He is dressed simply, in ordinary clothes. His face looks innocent and sad. He is staring up over the audience into the darkness, intensely. Sounds of a baby inside a womb are heard throughout the theater. The heartbeat continues steadily as Fetus speaks.]

Fetus: I am alone. I am not born yet. I just got my nose three weeks ago. All around me there is water, and I can see blood rushing through tiny veins. I am waiting. Waiting for a shadow.

[Another spot shines on a table with a phone and a chair. Woman enters in spot. She looks distressed. She has just discovered she is pregnant. She is pretty, but in a simple way. She is obviously in shock. Fetus walks towards her, but she cannot see or hear him. He is examining her as she bites her nails.]

Fetus: This is my mother. I love the way she talks. Her voice is so soft and meek. [Laughs] I can feel it when she giggles. We jiggle around. I am excited for laughing.

Mother: [sits down] Oh my God. [Pause.] Oh my God. What am I supposed to do?

Fetus: What do you mean?

Mother: He’s gonna leave me. I know it. Oh my God.

Fetus: I’m not going to leave you. What are you talking about?

Mother: [Beat] I can do this. I’m strong.

Fetus: Of course you are. You’re carrying me.

Mother: [beginning to cry] Oh my God. [Fetus goes over to comfort her. She is sobbing now. A door slams. Father enters.]

Fetus: Dad!

Father: Emily, I want to know what the hell is going on. I’ve been calling for the last three hours and you haven’t answered the phone. What the hell is wrong with you? [Pause. Looks at her and sees she is crying. Speaks more sympathetically.] What’s wrong with you?

Mother: Nothing.

Fetus: Nothing? Oh, that’s a relief.

Father: [Firm, not angry.] Just tell me what the fuck’s going on. Are you PMSing or something? [No answer. Crouches down to look at her face.] For chrissake, Em, tell me what’s wrong.

Mother: I just need room. Room to think.

Father: I thought I was giving you room. That’s what I’ve been doing for the last two weeks. How much more do you need?

Mother: I’m pregnant.

Father: [Beat.] What?

Fetus: She’s pregnant.

Father: How? I thought…

Mother: I know.

Father: Oh God. [Father pulls a chair up to the table and sinks into it. He covers his face. Mother looks at him nervously.] What’re you gonna do?

Mother: I don’t know. I…I was hoping you might tell me.

Father: [sighs deeply] Who else knows?

Mother: No one.

Fetus: [proudly] I know.

Father: [standing up] You didn’t tell your parents?

Mother: I thought you would want to know first.

Father: Of course I would. [Moves towards her, then turns away.] I just…I don’t think we’re ready for a baby. We’re scraping by as it is.

Mother: I know. But my mother…

Father: [angrily] We’re not asking your mother for anything!

Fetus: [scared] Dad…

Father: Shit. I’m sorry. I need to get some air.

[Father gets up to leave, grabbing coat thrown over chair. Mother wordlessly pleads for him not to go, but he doesn’t notice. He leaves, slamming the door behind him. She breaks down again. Fetus moves to comfort her.]

Fetus: Don’t cry Mom. He just needs to get some air. [Aside] Air. [To Mother] He’ll be back soon.

Mother: [rocking] He’ll be back soon, he’ll be back soon…

Fades out. End of Scene I.

[Scene 2 opens with mother walking about on stage. Office with a receptionist busy at a desk. Sign visible to audience says Natal Health Clinic. The lights remain low, coming up gradually. A man in a long coat appears from behind.]

Doctor: Hello, I’m Doctor Occidian. Are you here for an appointment?

Mother: Well, no. I don’t have an appointment. But I want to make one.

Doctor: You’ll have to see the receptionist at the front desk. [turns to walk away]

Mother: Wait! Could you just…answer some questions?

Doctor: Certainly.

Fetus: What a nice doctor. [All sit.]

Mother: I have a friend, see.

Doctor: Yes.

Mother: Well, she needs help. But she’s not sure what to do.

Doctor: What kind of help does she need?

Mother: Well, she’s pregnant. But the father, of her baby I mean, he doesn’t want it.

Doctor: I see. [Beat.] Does she want it?

Mother: She’s not sure.

Fetus: Want what? What doesn’t she want?

Doctor: Here, let me give you a pamphlet. [hands her pamphlet] If your friend decides that she would like to terminate her pregnancy, all the information you need is in here. The procedure is very simple, and will take under an hour. No one is here to judge. Depending on the stage of pregnancy, the price may vary a little. The procedure is entirely safe, and completely confidential. If you have any questions, you can call me at this number. [hands her card] That’s the number of the clinic. On the back is my cell phone, so you can get in touch with me personally. [smiles]

Mother: Thanks.

Fetus: Thanks.

Mother: Oh, one more thing. [Doctor turns.] Will it hurt the baby?

Doctor: [looks distressed] There is no baby. [Pause.] You won’t fell any pain during the procedure. There will be a general numbness afterwards from the anesthesia. You will simply be numb.

Mother: Oh. Thank you.

Fetus: [whispering to Mother] Numb?

Blue out. End of Scene 2.

[Scene 3 is once again at the Natal Health Clinic. Mother is on a hospital bed, and a nurse stands beside her performing an ultrasound. Fetus stands to the side, looking on anxiously and excitedly, almost like a father.]

Nurse: It should only be a few more minutes. How’re you holding up?

Mother: Ok, I guess.

Nurse: There are no visible complications with the fetus, so there should be no problems during the procedure. You’ll be able to schedule the time for your procedure at the front desk.

Fetus: See Mom? Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.

Mother: [pause] Have you ever been pregnant.

Nurse: I was once. But I was young.

Mother: Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to pry.

Nurse: No not at all. This clinic was the best thing that ever happened to me. I came here, not knowing what to do. Dr. Occidian was here at the time as a matter of fact. I hadn’t told anyone, not even my boyfriend. He told me the options, and I decided to terminate my pregnancy.

Mother: Oh, I’m sorry, I’m not sure what…

Nurse: I had an abortion. That’s what they say here, terminate the pregnancy. That way there’s no stigma attached.

Mother: I don’t know what I’m going to do.

Fetus: What do you mean?

Nurse: What do you mean?

Mother: The father, he, he doesn’t want the responsibility. He’d rather things stay the way they were.

Fetus: Things should stay the way they are. I never want you to change Mom.

Nurse: Well, I’m not supposed to advise the patients. [demeanor changes] But I’ll tell you. Having an abortion was the best thing I ever did. I can’t imagine being tied down by a kid today. I wouldn’t have been able to get my nursing degree.

Mother: Don’t you ever have any regrets?

Nurse: [taken aback] I don’t have regrets. There’s nothing to regret.

Mother: You don’t want to have a child?

Nurse: Of course I do. Just…not now. [turns back to monitor]

Fetus: Mom, that woman is sad. Mom? [Moves towards mother. Mother reacts.]

Nurse: Uhp. It’s moving.

Mother: Can I see?

Fetus: Of course!

Nurse: No, I’m sorry. It’s against our policy. We wouldn’t want it to affect your decision.

Mother: Oh. I understand. [Fetus embraces his mother as she remains lying on the bed.]

Nurse: Sometimes the women get attached even just to a picture. [End of Scene 3. Black out.]

[Scene 4 returns to the sparse opening set. Mother looks anxious. Phone on the table shows flashing light. During message playback, Mother, very nervous, goes to pack of unwrapped cigarettes and looks as if about to remove one, then remembers, and throws the pack down.]

Answering Machine: [beep] Hi Em. It’s uh, it’s Rodge. I was wondering how you were. I haven’t heard from you in a while. You haven’t called me back. [sighs] Look Em, I just wanted to say I’m sorry about how I reacted. I wanna see you. I want to hear your voice again. Pick up the damn phone! [pause] Just…give me a call back. Please. [beep]

Fetus: Mom. Mom, I’m scared. I don’t know what’s going on. I’m completely surrounded by the dark. I don’t know what’s happening. You haven’t spoken in such a long time I feel…alone. Mom, are you there? [Shivers. Mother reacts. Sits up in chair.] Mom, I’m cold. I want to leave this place. I want to see you. Mom! [Crosses and kicks phone table in frustration. Mother reacts.] Oh, Mom, I’m sorry. [Mother looks at stomach] Oh, I didn’t mean…I just, I love you Mom. [Mother begins to weep.] I love how you sing, and hum when you don’t know the words. I love when you sing those lullabies. That lullaby. [Fetus sings Amazing Grace. Mother begins to sob, and joins in singing. Songs ends with Mother rocking and humming. Pause.]

Mother: [whispering] I love you child. I’m never gonna give up on you.

Fetus: [joyfully, not fully comprehending] Oh Mom. I’d never give up on you either.

[Black out.]

Caligula's Launderette wrote a review...

Oh wow, Tim I think this my most favorite of anything I've seen of yours. In lieu of sounding like a gawking schoolgirl or like Imp, I will keep this message trite. I would love, love, love to see this preformed or preform in it. My favorite parts are between the mother and fetus. Brava!

CL.

Mon May 08, 2006 4:16 am
Poor Imp wrote a review...

That was brilliant - even in the specific sense of the word; light - or enlightening. Deft - sometimes ironic - balance of the fetus' questions, comments against those of the other characters was done just enough to be affecting.

I can't say I have anything pointed, critical to say. I'd love to see it staged.

Fetus: What do you mean?

Fetus: Dad!

I liked this exchange especially - the baby answering with what he knows, the mother so scared. Poignant contrast.

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman