z

Young Writers Society



Statistics

by tigeraye


Cold is murder, yet so is heat. Seek Fire when the world is at its iciest. Scorn Fire when the world shows its true nature.

The world is a beautiful ocean view. Gaze upon the still sea, what do you see? I see the balmy sun beneath the clouds, generating its reflection onto the calm waters. I see land far off into the distance. Boats roam free amongst the blue, destroying what the common eye does not see.

Dive underneath, pay witness to the treacherous conditions left by Man. Creatures slaughtering other creatures for survival, as Man will not succor. Man relinquishes what he never cherished; devastates an abode without compassion, not a single musing given for a loved one. Man throws jagged hooks into an already ruptured abode. He lures innocents with the propaganda of happiness, the idea of a pleasurable sensation in their lungs. Mere seconds pass, and their mortal lungs are filled with arson. They choke, they gag, they box to breathe but their arms are too short, and does anyone care? No! In this world, murder is just as omnipresent as Fire. That is the true nature of the world for which all flesh abides.

A monster once said that one death is a tragedy, but one million is a statistic. Why does Man hold close this ideology? When creatures slaughter other creatures just to fuel their twisted minds, why is Man so torpid? Why do the creatures who take money to better other creatures’ lives do nothing? I would enjoy asking my mother this question, but I cannot – she’s just a statistic.

Fourteen years, but still she stays a number. The big box will not show her face. The little box will not say her name. No morning paper will have anything to report on about my mother. Burnt alive, and yet the torpid Man does nothing but clean up the ashes left by Fire. Fire will not wrap his fingers around ice cold bars, nor will there be a jury coughing for air in the foggy smoke. Fire is once again set free. Once again, Man seeks Fire when the world is at its iciest. Once again, Man abolishes Fire when the world shows its true nature.

Once again, history repeats, and once again my voice is paid no heed! But this time, it ceases. I stay still. I stay quiet. No longer will I make words of the hypocrites' gibber, no longer the politicians whom which stuff their pockets with my hard work, the politicians who are supposed to make us well, and yet they ignore my only desire! My only humble desire is that Man takes heed amongst the statistics that now reside in the underground. But not a weak soul listens to a dead man's cry.

EDITS: 9/13/15 - Redid the ending.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 59
Reviews: 125

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:20 am
View Likes
Songmorning wrote a review...



Since I see this was posted on September 11th, I'm going to read it in light of that. Actually, I read through the whole thing before looking back and checking the date it was posted, but already I sensed that it was related to the tragedy of the World Trade Center.

Since this is a short work, I'm going to grammar nitpick like crazy and point out every little thing I notice. Maybe it can become perfect with regard to grammar. After the nitpicks, I'll write about my overall impressions of the narrative. I'm also going to try out the "beige-background quotes" for the first time! Yaay!

Gaze upon the still sea, what do you see?

That should be a semicolon, not a comma.

I see land far off into the distance.

"In" the distance, not "into". The word "into" implies motion, but the land here is still.

Fire will not wrap his fingers around ice cold bars

"Ice-cold" would have a dash too.

no longer the politicians whom which stuff their pockets with my hard work,

Whom which? I believe just "who" will do.

(Wow, only four...Okay, then. Great job with your grammar.)

~~~

This narrative--a soliloquy, I might call it--definitely deserved to be read twice. There's a lot here, and I feel as if a person could take time to pick apart every sentence and get much more out of it. You must have thought it through very carefully when you wrote it.

It's very rich in analogy, so that makes it difficult to understand exactly what many of the sentences mean--but that's good, in my opinion. As long as YOU know what you were talking about in each sentence and the narrative as a whole, it's up to the reader to study it and figure it out.

My guess is that this isn't about September 11th specifically, because it's full of universal statements, but that it is related to September 11th in a way. Almost as if the speaker started out pondering the horrors of the attack on the World Trade Center, and his train of thought brought him here.

Yet when he (I'm think assuming "he" for no reason, just because it's easy to write) brings up his mother, it then becomes more specifically about September 11th. Fourteen years, and this was posted in 2015 on September 11th. At that point, there's no doubt...This person's mother was killed on September 11th, but because so many died on that day, she became just a number in a statistic.

There were many lines here that I found to be very powerful, but I suppose I'll specifically mention just two:

not a single musing given for a loved one.

That is true. When people commit murder and massacre, do they not even think of how each person killed is dear to someone? Don't they consider how they have people who they love, who they couldn't bear to lose--and yet they put others through that very thing! Even if there was a person in the world who was unloved by everyone around them, that person would still be loved by God, and God's heart would still break at cruelties done to them. Just this morning, I was reading the story of Cain and Abel: the first murder after sin entered the world. After it happened, God said to Cain, "What have you done? Listen; your brother's blood is crying out to me from the ground!" He showed such individual caring and righteous indignation. Every single person is a "loved one", then--and what an evil it is when people will not consider that!

Once again, history repeats, and once again my voice is paid no heed!

It was the exclamation mark that really struck me here. I could hear the narrator's frustration rising throughout the sentence, coming to a peak at "no heed!" I've felt that frustration. Even in a republic, what can an individual do to be heard? There are so many voices out there, and the people in power always seem to have their own agenda. It's frustrating.

I am curious as to whether you were referring to anything specific when you wrote, "history repeats". Can you tell me, or is it a secret? :)

I never entirely figured out what "Fire" and "Ice" meant. I have a general understanding of it, I think, but what does the world look like when it's "at its iciest"? I don't fully understand.

Overall, another excellent and profound piece from you, Tigeraye. It made me think, and I'm glad I read it.

~Songy




Songmorning says...


Yay, my beige-background quotes worked! :P Better formatting achieved.



User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:43 pm
tigeraye says...



im fond of this story :)




User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:47 pm
View Likes
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello tigeraye, steampowered here for a review, as agreed! I haven’t read the other reviews yet (I prefer to be uninfluenced by other reviewers) so if I end up reiterating what someone else has already said, hopefully you’ll forgive me.

I rather liked the poetic feel to this piece of writing, and I could really imagine this set to video clips. I’m ashamed to say that it took me a fair few paragraphs before I realised what this was about (despite the fact that this was published on the fourteenth anniversary of the worst terror attack in US history) But once I’d reread the entire thing with that in mind, it made a lot of sense and really conveyed the emotion and anger at humanity in general for allowing such things to happen.

Man relinquishes what he never cherished; devastates an abode without compassion, not a single musing given for a loved one. Man throws jagged hooks into an already ruptured abode.


I wasn’t sure about the repetition of “abode” here. Now, I feel like it could have been quite effective, but because the repetition didn’t really fall on the rhythm, so to speak, this impact was lost. If you re-word it slightly, the repetition may look more deliberate and less accidental.

Man relinquishes what he never cherished; not a single musing given for a loved one. Without compassion man devastates an abode, and throws jagged hooks into an already ruptured abode.


That’s just an example, but it might be more dramatic if you rephrase it. Otherwise I’d probably suggest changing one of the instances of “abode”.

I would enjoy asking my mother this question, but I cannot – she’s just a statistic.


I don’t feel like “enjoy” is quite the right word here. Perhaps “I would like to ask my mother”? Other than that, this was one of my favourite lines.

The big box will not show her face. The little box will not say her name.


I have to say I wasn’t totally sure what you meant by this. Presumably you’re referring to television, but I don’t quite understand the bit about the big and little boxes (perhaps you meant replays of the event for the big box, and a memorial service for the little box?)

no longer the politicians whom which stuff their pockets with my hard work


This feels a little bit awkward. Perhaps just “politicians who stuff” would read better.

It’s very interesting (not to mention scary) to read this and to realise that these sentiments are the same as they were fourteen years ago. Events are in motion in the world today, and it really shows how twisted humanity can be and how little politicians seem to care – and I do believe it’s true that mass tragedies are sometimes seen as statistics.

Obviously these are all just suggestions which you can feel free to ignore. I have no idea if this review helped or not, but hopefully it was of some use to you. Keep writing! :D




tigeraye says...


Thanks for reviewing, appreciate it. 'big box' refers to the television, and 'little box' refers to radio. I think I have an idea about how to change that line now. thanks for the help.



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 55
Reviews: 5

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:00 pm
Mikons3 wrote a review...



I imagine you got the idea after you discovered the quote, correct me if my assumption is wrong.
The quotes itself is very powerful and (if looked at from right angle) potentially scary. It gives us a haunting insight inside the mind of a powerful dictator. We are really nothing more than numbers to them, although I would argue less so in our day and age, but still.

Your story starts with beautiful wordplay, followed with a nice allegory, which is very close to the point, but then slowly it becomes kind of vague.

your message is not particularly original, but is perfectly clear and well delivered.

You decided to touch a very intriguing topic, there is so much more to be said, you could have explored it more in much greater detail. I completely agree with Elinor. Last two paragraphs were unnecessary and out of place, I mean it started so magically well.

In the end I still like it, because it made me think, and everything that makes me think deserves praise.




tigeraye says...


hi, thanks for reviewing. No, I didn't get the idea of this story from the quote, actually. The narrator in short, lost his mother on 9/11/01; that's what the "



tigeraye says...


14 years" alludes to (managed to submit that too early.) He's angry because he feels his mother has become a "statistic" and has been forgotten along with the faces and names of the other victims. I'm happy you liked this, thanks.



User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:17 pm
View Likes
Elinor wrote a review...



Hi there,

So I thought it was really interesting - I like it. It's a very intriguing story, and one that made me think and is about a very interesting subject matter. The wording of your first couple of sentences when you're setting everything up is beautiful, and really paints a clear and detailed picture of what is going on.

What I would say it's that a little bit obscure and unfocused. While I finished reading this with an understanding of what you were trying to say, it doesn't focus enough on the actual topic to really resonate, I think. I think you could probably cut the second paragraph and you would be fine. Essentially, what is your thesis? It's that so many humans live and die unnoticed, and when tragedies happens the lives that were lost are just statistics. It's a really interesting topic to explore, but it doesn't get there for me.

In the decades come and gone, the world has fought valiantly to obtain equal rights for blacks, women, and now gays. My only desire is that statistics are next on the list.


I don't think this is really a fair comparison to make. We're not talking about equal rights, but bringing up a topic that isn't really considered in certain situations.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.
Best,
Elinor




tigeraye says...


hi, thanks for reviewing. I wasn't sure how to end this, and agree it's not really the strongest possible. If you have any ideas, do please tell me.




cron
"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites