z

Young Writers Society



ADFA in 300 words

by thundereagle


A forest interrupts the urban sprawl of the capital. Nestled in that forest is a rancher with an attached garage. Large yards surround the house. The front lawn is split by the gravel drive that leads to the pavement. Only two other houses are on the driveway separated from each other by the trees. A network of trails winds through the forest, carved by countless laps on ATVs and dirt bikes. Near the center of the wood lies an un-finished cabin that resembles a boxing ring with wooden ropes more than a building. In the summer it is invisible at fifty yards the trees alive with birdsong and chattering squirrels. A warm breeze wafts hints of mud and skunk cabbage up to the cabin as the stream bubbles jovially under the old deck that serves as a bridge. In the yard two sheds sit back to back sharing a roof. The shed closest to the house holds yard tools but the shed that faces the forest serves as a workshop. A felt poster of dragons colored in with highlighters hangs on the wall next to a fold out poster of a teenage Emma Watson as Hermione. A sheet of cork board is supported by two by fours near the roof covered in marker drawings of monsters and chemical symbols .Stale wood smoke and burnt oil make the place smell like a shady casino. The forge is lit on the stone topped table outside. The air inside the shed is clouded with smoke but not from the forge fire; that is only a cover. Long strands of hardened candle wax wind their way off the shelves and down the walls. Purple sticks protruding from cracks and clamped in the vise make one aware of a slight hint of incense in the air.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 pm
rosette wrote a review...



Hi thundereagle!

I believe this will be a rather short review, considering this is a rather short piece, so without further ado, let's jump right in.

The first thing that catches my eye is the huge block of words. It's a bit of a turn off for any reviewer, and sometimes difficult to read through. I suggest you break it up in smaller paragraphs, for the sake of clarity and such.

The second note I made was lack of setting. Where is this at? What's 'the capital'? (As a quick note, I have no idea what ADFA is and how much it pertains to the story. Apologies if I get something horribly wrong here). :0

When I began reading this, I was in for a bit of a surprise. It's purely description. The whole thing. You're describing the house, the yard, the deck, the shed, etc. It's a lot of description thrown right at us, and I'll have to say it's too much. You're listing it all, without any room for the characters, plot, emotions, or anything. We don't have any clue what's going on, what's the point of this story, but we do know what everything looks like.

I'm actually currently reading a book on descriptions and setting, and the author states sensory description and details is a wonderful way to begin your novel. (Especially for beginner writers). And she gives wonderful examples, too. But in each case, the descriptions (which are very sensory) never drag on too long. They provide enough details to place us just where we need to be, feeling what the author is saying; tasting, smelling, and hearing our surroundings, but they are always quick to introduce the main character. Because too much description/details is tiring.

Some of your descriptions are just delicious, however. (Yes, I just said delicious). Like this:

Stale wood smoke and burnt oil make the place smell like a shady casino.

Yay for sensory! And similes! I love this sentence.

And then this one:
A felt poster of dragons colored in with highlighters hangs on the wall next to a fold out poster of a teenage Emma Watson as Hermione.

While maybe not 'delicious', this one reveals some facts about the person living here.A fantasy lover? I'm assuming it's a teenager, but who knows?

Long strands of hardened candle wax wind their way off the shelves and down the walls.

I found this one interesting. Do we have a candle maker here, or something?

Descriptions can honestly reveal so much about a person and their way of life, and I appreciate you incorporating that in here. But like I said earlier, too much is... too much.

Hope this helps! :)

~rosette




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 18
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 am
Trashcan wrote a review...



Hiya! I'm not great with introductions so let's jump right in.
I don't have a lot of time, and this passage is pretty short, so I'll just write a short review with, like, one or two pointers in it.
First off, I hope you do continue this story! The descriptions are great and there are a lot of ways I can think of where this setting would make an interesting base of operations for a story.
I only really have one complaint with this and that's the pacing of it. It's not a huge problem, just something that could use a little touching up. The sentences are super long for most of the passage, and it makes it a little awkward to read.
Pacing is a pretty easy fix though, just make your sentences a little shorter and add commas where they're needed.
Ok, I lied. There is another I'm just now realizing, again, not a big deal, but it was something. The fact that this whole passage is one huge block of text is a little intimidating to look at. It's not a hard fix, again, just a suggestion.
That's all the time I have, for now, hope I helped a little bit!
-Trashcan





cron
You are not the voice in your mind, but the one who is aware of it.
— Eckhart Tolle