The Big Red Button

by therealme

"Hey Dad?"

"Yes?..." Dad said. Not bothering to look at me, he focused on eating his cereal.

"What do you do?" I asked him over the breakfast table.

"What?" He looked confused.

I sighed. "What do you do, like for a job?"

This was the worst question I could have possibly asked him…

"Well judging by the scientific parallelogram circulating in a clockwise direction at the speed of exactly 1.25 light seconds I blahdy, blahdy, blah (boring, boring, boring)…"

Two hours later…

"…and that technically explains a rough summary of my work." Mr. Simpleton looked smugly in his son’s direction. "Max?"

"…zzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzzz…"

Mr. Simpleton found his bored six-year-old son fast asleep from the most boring speech ever.

The next day…

"Today you’re going to see where I work, Max!" Dad said as he and I stepped into the lift.

Today I was finally going to know what my dad does for a job. I had been waiting for this moment forever.

The lift doors opened…

"Wow!!"

It was like a massive scientific lab. I was looking at a very large, circular room with lots of desks and computers. The computer screens had lots of random numbers and letters moving across them quickly and the he desks had lots of strange objects and strange inventions on top of them. Now I know what my dad is. He’s an inventor!

But that wasn’t the best discovery, it didn’t take me long to find that there were buttons everywhere!

"Now Max, I’ve got to do some work now so you can look around, but whatever you do, don’t touch any buttons."

"Ok dad," I said, running straight towards the extra shiny buttons.

I love buttons. They’re probably my most favourite thing in the whole wide world. Big ones, small ones, it doesn’t matter, I love them all! Especially the really big red ones.

I walked over to a small green button labelled POWER. Surely it can’t hurt just to touch one little button…

I moved my finger slowly towards the button and pushed it lightly. Oh, it was so much fun! As I released my finger absolutely everything went dark. I couldn’t see a thing, not even the back of my hand. It was like being in one of those really scary horror movies. Noticing that I couldn’t see, I felt around for another button…

Yes! I found one! This button felt funny. It felt a lot softer than the other button. I pushed it.

Nothing happened.

I pushed it again. And again and again and again.

Still nothing happened.

I was getting quite annoyed now. I punched the button as hard as I could. The button made the weirdest sound I ever heard. It sounded a lot like a person screaming in pain. Suddenly the lights came back on. That’s when I realised the button wasn’t actually a button. It was my dad's nose.

"I thought I told you not to push any buttons!" Dad yelled angrily.

"But I didn’t push any," I lied.

"Well then don't push any more!" and with that he stormed back to his desk.

I have to admit I was feeling a little guilty, but that’s before I noticed a yellow, square shaped button gleaming innocently only a few feet away. I couldn’t help myself. I walked up to the button and read the worn out label. A few of the letters were missing, but it basically said:

NO GR VI Y

Surly one more button won’t do any damage…

I pushed the button as quickly as possible so no one would notice. I placed my arms behind my back and looked around carefully. No one had seen me.

I was a very naughty boy.

I walked over to a desk chair and sat down. That’s funny, I thought to myself. Nothing happened. Nothing! Why hadn’t it worked? Every other button I’ve ever pushed had done something.

And that’s when I noticed something very strange…

Was I getting higher or was everything else getting lower? I looked down. I was flying! And so was the seat! Wow, I never knew I could fly. Maybe I have special super powers I never knew about! And that’s when everything else started flying too, which was kind of disappointing for two reasons:

1. Because I was quite looking forward to a new life as a super hero.

2. Because my very angry dad was swimming through the air straight towards me.

I started moving my legs as fast as I could. Who knew what Dad would do once he had his hands on me? Eventually I realised that trying to run wasn’t really getting me anywhere, so I tried copying dad’s swimming action.

This was a lot better, but Dad was catching up.

And then I saw it: a really, really big, shiny, round, red button!

I’m only inches away from it. Since dad was going to kill me anyway, I pushed the button. Dad’s murderous expression turned into complete terror.

"Nooo! Not the big red button!!!" shouted dad.

It’s funny because I didn’t get to read what the label said. I started to read it…

MASSIVE EXPLOSION, DO NOT TOUCH

P.S (goes off in three seconds)

I nervously check my watch… 3, 2, 1

‘POOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!’

I’ve learnt a lot about buttons since then. You should never push one no matter how tempting it is because you never know what might happen.

I hate buttons now. They’re probably my least favourite thing in the whole wide world. Big ones, small ones, it doesn’t matter, I hate them all! Especially the really big red ones.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:29 pm
Questio wrote a review...

This story was really fun, but like anirban says, there are some grammatical errors and some bland sentences, but other than that, the plot was great! I love reading stories about little kids, but I know how hard they are to handle, because I've done it before. And even though it was fun, I still think it more a failure. But hey, always learning!
There is a part that didn't seem to fit to me: The part that says "I was a very naughty boy" doesn't seem like something a little kid would think. At least before the gravity actually turned off. You could put that line in after the gravity has turned off as a real-time thought, but it seems unnecessary to put it in where it is.
There were other parts where the language was a little weak or didn't make as much sense as it could have if done differently, but I just reminded myself that the protagonist is six.
So to recap: This story was fun, but not as good as it could have been without certain elements (but still good!) and I respect that you had the courage to tackle the dreaded six year old P.O.V.
:)
~Questio~

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:49 pm
anirban wrote a review...

Hi therealme,

So lets begin, shall we? Lets start with the pros:

> The plot was nice. It had potential and you exploited it well.
> You drew the picture of the plot nicely, that is to say your characters seemed lively throughout the plot. Thumbs up!
> I love the way you synchronized the whole thing.
> I absolutely love this part :

MASSIVE EXPLOSION, DO NOT TOUCH

P.S (goes off in three seconds)

I nervously check my watch… 3, 2, 1

‘POOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!’

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now lets look at the cons:

>There are apparently a lot of grammatical errors.

>This sentence seemed a drag. Also I found the full stop pointless after "said". You could have simply used, "Yes?" Dad said, not bothering to even look at me with his entire focus on his cereal."

>I do not know why you left two lines after the statement. It should have been like :

I sighed.
"What do you do, like for a job?". This was probably the worst question I could have asked him.

>I also don't understand why you put three dots there where a full stop would have sufficed.

>The part where the protagonist pushes his father's nose mistaking it as a button seemed a bit drag. The idea was really good but you could have experimented a bit.

Did you borrow the idea from a piece? 'cos some years back, we had a similar chapter in our mid school English text. I don't remember the name of the piece but it was similar to the first part of your story. But anyway I enjoyed reading it. Just go through the grammatical and constructional errors and you'd be fine.

Keep writing.
Cheers!

therealme says...

Thank you for the corrections. I'm glad you enjoyed it and no i didn't copy anything i didn't even know there was a piece of writing that sounded similar to this. Thanks again xx

GeeLyria wrote a review...

Hi there, therealme.

I won't lie, this was quite humorous. I think it has potential. However, I also think it lacks some descriptions. This is written in first person, so I think writing a little more about what the main character was thinking would help this story a lot. Descriptions are entertaining. There's this moment in your story where you use an onomatopoeic sound as a dialogue:

"…zzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzzz…"

And it let me thinking~ Did the kid really fall asleep, or was he joking in order to make his dad talking all that "nonsense"? So yes, more descriptions would be lovely, especially if we can feel like the narrator is our friend. Another thing is~ I don't know if I missed something, but I feel like you told very little about the character. How old was the kid?

So. Overall, your story is pretty funny. But it lacks details! It would be funnier if it had details, and I'm sure others would agree with me. :)

And that's my grain of sand. Hopefully, I expressed myself correctly. However, if I didn't, feel free to PM me anytime.

~GeeLyria

FaithGal wrote a review...

Very cute! ;) Rather predictable, and, in my opinion, slightly anticlimactic, but cute none-the-less. Made me giggle a bit. The reviewer before me picked up everything I noticed, especially considering the switch from past to present tense. I do suggest putting double quotations around your dialogue. A nice little piece. Thanks for sharing, and keep on writing!

Searria H. wrote a review...

Hello again, therealme!

What a chipper little piece. Sure it was a little cliché, but it made me smile nonetheless. :) I loved the little boy. So typical. ;)

Now for a few nitpicks. You know the drill. :)

‘Hey Dad?’

These should be double quotation marks. The single ones are used for quotations inside of quotations and some other things.

Two hours later…

I would put these time references in italics. On a side note, I totally read this in the weird voice from Spongebob...*cough* Moving on.

Mr Simpleton looked smugly in his son’s direction. ‘Max?’

Should be a period after "Mr.," and to get rid of unnecessary words, I would say "looked smugly at his son."

I’ve been waiting for this moment forever.

Because your story is in the past tense, it should be "I had." What you have implies that the action of the story is taking place in the present tense.

The lift doors open…

Okay, well. I didn't quite notice it the first time I skimmed through, but you do have several different tenses going on here. Pick one and stick to it. :)

It felt a lot softer than the other button. I pushed it.

Nothing happened.

Still nothing happened.

I think if the dad was getting his nose pushed, he would have reacted earlier.

‘I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU NOT TO PUSH ANY BUTTONS!’ dad yelled angrily.

First of all, "Dad" should be capitalized since it's being used as a name. Now. Let's talk about all caps. They're sort of a pet peeve of mine. You can use them as you did to say what the buttons said because it's a visual representation of what was on the buttons. However, there are very few instances when you should use all caps in dialogue. Your punctuation and dialogue tag should be strong enough that you don't need to use them. :D

I walked up to the button and read the label. The label was a bit worn out, and a few of the letters were missing but it basically said:

The second sentence here is a bit cluttered as far as ideas go. I might stick the "worn out" part on the previous sentence as an adjective describing "label". Then you can just start the next sentence with "a few of the letters..." You need a comma after "missing" because you have two independent clauses connected by a conjunction.

which was kind of disappointing for two reasons:

Pretty sure this was my favourite part of the entire piece. :D

I started running as fast as I could.

This really bugged me because you can't run through the air. I know you address it momentarily, but you might describe him kicking his legs in a failed attempt to run or something.

Eventually I realised that running wasn’t really getting me anywhere so I tried copying dad’s swimming action.

Comma after "anywhere" for the independent clause/conjunction thing.

And then I saw it: a really, REALLY big, shiny, round, red button!

I would use italics instead of all caps.

It’s funny because I didn’t get to read what the label said. I started to read it… it said:

For word clutter purposes, I would just say "read the label," so you don't have to repeat "said."

MASSIVE EXPLOSION, DO NOT TOUCH

P.S (goes off in three seconds)

This label is so unrealistic, but I didn't really care by that point. The whole story is ridiculous. (Meaning that in a good way.) :D

Normally, I wouldn't like this ending. It's a little too...neat and tidy? You know, how you brought back an earlier phrase. But I really think it fit the style of the story. Have you considered turning this into a children's book? It would be a lot of fun. :D

General Comments:
Watch your tenses.

That's about it. It was such a light and cheerful story, that much of the normal stuff I would say doesn't really apply. I think you achieved the affect you had intended, so I'm just going to leave it alone. :D
If there's anything further I can do for you, just let me know!
Happy writing!
-Sea-

therealme says...

thanks for the corrections, you're a lifesaver! I was rushed so i made a lot of punctuation errors etc but i'm happy that it made you smile :D

jeanluc says...

Its a funny story. I enjoyed reading it. But there is some typing errors and I advise to go over. also you've switched from present to past tense in some places. you've used plurals in wrong ways. But a very creative piece, please write more stories ;)
cheers!

therealme says...

thanks, i was in a little bit of a rush when i wrote this so it's not my best.

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot