Debris

by themightierpen

Everything hurts

even my very existence

burns

in the flames of fear

death

pain

passion

loss

love.

Why do I even

want to keep puttering

on

in the pain of this thing

we choose

to call

life?

It hurts so badly

why am I not strong

enough

to end it?

Why am I not

enough

to keep going?

I hurt

others

I am a creator

a distributer of the pain

that life produces.

I hurt

as others do the same.

It hurts

and I just want an end to this pain

to death and life and all of it.

But I am not

brave

enough.

If that is what you would call bravery.

I need someone else to end it before

it all falls apart

and I am nothing more than

my pain.

The day it overtakes me

drags me out to sea with its

pounding waves

and

unstoppable current

I will cease to exist with fear

death

passion

loss

love.

I will be debris,

carrying others away

destruction in my wake.

I will be gone.

Still there,

but my belief of

not-enoughness will 

become truth.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:35 am
RippleGylf wrote a review...

Hello! Ripple here. Hopefully you're having a fantastic RevMo. :D

I really relate to the overall emotion of this poem. I've definitely been there, in that state of mind, and I think that you realistically captured the feeling of wanting to scream out to the world about all of the pain. It is quite blunt, but that excellently plays into the central message.

I do have a few minor critiques, however. The first is your use of punctuation. While you do not by any means have to follow regular punctuation rules, (in fact, this poem is made better by breaking them), line breaks do not denote pauses when read aloud. The shorter lines work wonderfully as text, but it is very confusing for someone trying to read it out loud. Dashes or commas between some of the lines might help make it less confusing.

Secondly, I love the debris metaphor, but I kinda wish that you incorporated it into the rest of the poem instead of introducing it at the end. This really is just a matter of personal taste, so if you think that it's important to have it only at the end, keep it like it is.

There are also some instances where you break grammatical regulations, but like punctuation, those are fairly lax where poetry is concerned.

It is on the whole a really impactful poem filled to the brim with emotion. The jolting flow of it matches the message well. Keep writing!

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:57 am
Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there, themightierpen. I love your username! :)

This was an extremely emotional poem. I was able to relate to it, having felt some of those things, but I also think others (without similar experiences) would also be deeply touched by this piece. Your words are blunt and say it as it is, but you've also mixed in beautiful metaphors and descriptions which work together really well.

I'm not crazy about the way you've formatted this; I think the lines could definitely be longer. That said, at the length you currently have them, the poem was fast-paced and skipped between scenes like a camera constantly flashing. That's the effect you want, I think. It's just that in places, the sentences seemed disconnected and the poem didn't flow as well as it could. That's just something to experiment with.

I like your use of repetition with these words: fear, death, pain, passion, loss and love. It makes the feelings clear. Not that it's a problem, but did you intentionally leave out 'pain' the second time?

Overall, this was a very emotional, well-written piece. I'd just work on the way it's displayed.

It always seems impossible until it's done.
— Nelson Mandela