Hope and Me

by themanofstars

As far as my eyes can go, I see hope.

Hope, in the form of lush greenery.

The greenery giving way to cool breeze

The cool breeze,

Soothing my soul and I, sinking deep within me

The dense green forest, symbolizing that everything,

Will be better than today

But the dark clouds are gathering, the darkness is resurfacing

Dark clouds of despair, blinding my sight

My sight, which always saw the hope and future

Now see’s nothing.

But the cool breeze whispers gently to me

I recognize the voice, it was her

She said, “Do not give up on this world yet.

I am counting on you”

The whisper of cool breeze felt like she was standing next to me

With tears in her eyes, tears not of sadness

But of guilt and contentment

She was smiling

Because we were able to see each other again

And there was guilt in her eyes

That she was not with me

When I was pleading for her at the core of my heart.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:43 am
Rubric wrote a review...

I should warn that I don’t tend to review poetry and don’t consider myself anything of an expert in it, and for that reason you should feel free to disregard any stylistic commentary that doesn’t, for want of a better term, gel with your groove.

I enjoy this piece. The repetition of core phrasing gives it a strong rhythm and sense of progress through the piece. The choice of words and arrangement of lines/repetition tended to be excellent.
Two minor things:

“symbolizing that everything,”
So much of your piece is about showing what symbols are, that this instance of saying what a symbol was, was quite jarring and broke the rhythm/immersion of the progression of ideas.

“the darkness is resurfacing”
This is perhaps a minor example of a mixed metaphor. Other verbs might be more appropriate if they also attach to darkness, rather than the idea that darkness is a symbol of. “coalescing” might not be rhythmically sound, or “falling” but I think the key of my point here was picking a verb that fits both darkness and the thing that darkness is a symbol for.

Cheers, and I hope this was at all helpful.

Rubric

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:56 am
Rascalover wrote a review...

Hi!!
Thank you so much for requesting a review! I'll do my best to give a great review!

My overall impression is that I like this poem. I'm not in love with it, but that's just a personal preference, not a sign of what an amazing write you are; only because, it's soft and subtle, where I think it should be bold and strong. Besides a few punctuational errors, there's not a whole lot I can point out that hasn't already been pointed out. i'm sorry, this seems like such a waste of a review.

~Tiffany

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:53 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...

This review is brought to you by Read and Review Shop

Here to review as requested! :D

Reading your title, I can see there's a grammar mistake already. It should be 'Hope and I' when they are the subject. When they're the object, it would be 'Hope and Me'. This would later be explained throughout the review. Also, I can see the whole poem made in one stanza, and I'm sure that's not what you intended. To go to a new line, press SHIFT and ENTER at the same time (SHIFT first, ENTER later). It'd lead you straight to the new line without too-wide space.

The cool breeze,

Okay, let's break this sentence to its base. The second line can be broken into 'Soothing my soul, sinking deep within me' and 'Soothing I, sinking deep within me'. As you can see, the second sentence is incorrect since the 'I' should be replaced with 'me'. This is due to the persona being the object here. If he is the subject, you could use 'I' to refer to him.

Also, at the start of the poem, you used proper punctuations. The lines above missed a period at the end of the second line. Reread your poem and try to maintain the use of punctuations. Another note is that you capitalize each first word of each line, which could be confusing in a punctuation-based poem. The lines, when put together, becomes this: 'The cool breeze, soothing my soul and me, sinking deep within me' with the 'S' decapitalized.

You've used nature as imagery, and while it's efficient, simple, and universal, you have to make sure it makes sense. Here, for example, is a line that doesn't make sense. Dark clouds are pretty much devoid of lights, so they shouldn't be able to blind the persona's sight. Instead, they could dull or darken his sight. Be careful when choosing words.

Now see’s nothing.

This is a repetition of the previous lines quoted in the sense of their meaning. Perhaps you can rephrase them by exploring how does the persona reacts to being blind. Another repetition in meaning is when you described the woman's eyes as having guilt, which was mentioned in two lines, separated by another two lines.

Anyway, this is a pretty neat poem. The transition from one imagery to another is nice, and the imagery itself is executed effectively. However, the direction of this poem turns to a cliche one when the female character appears. Everything clicks about why this poem is about hope and such, when you said the persona and the woman can meet together. I would expect something extraordinary here that needs hope, but all in all, this poem has potential. You just need to think out of the box, or make the cliche theme fresh.

And that is all! Keep up the good job! :D

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 pm
Amabilia wrote a review...

Cakerissa here! Reporting for Reviewing!

I really enjoyed this poem! I liked how it changes from hopeful to giving-up to longing. One thing I didn't like was how you waited till the end to introduce the girl. The eleventh line didn't make much sense to me, you know, in the way it was worded. I want to read more stuff like this! Keep writing!

Cakerissa

Thanks for the review but you posted it three times and after comments its difficult to get more people's thoughts or reviews so if you could delete two of it.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:56 pm
ErikaHale wrote a review...

Hello there!

I agree with you when you say this is one of your best. I love the descriptions of the poem. Even if they're short and simple, they have the power to transport you to the setting of the story. The only thing I'm having a little trouble with is the part about girl's eyes. The emotion behind them is not very clear, I think it could use a bit more detail.

But other than that, it's a wonderful poem. The descriptions are off the charts, and when I finished reading, I didn't feel like I wasted my time at all :D ! That is something really hard to accomplish. You should be very proud of this poem.

Yours truly,

Erika

Thank you. It means a lot.
And next time i will try better.

ErikaHale says...

Thank you so much for following me! And please, tag me whenever you postsomething new. I'd love to read more of your work :) !

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice