Just a few Random Thoughts on Love

by thedelphinater

Love is something that has changed drastically within the past few years. Originally, love was something you didn't talk about, like it was a secret. There was no real teenage melodrama; adults fell in love, not kids. If you were in love, you were probably married with kids, or planning to do so. And really early on, you may have been married even if you didn't really love the person.

But somewhere in the sixties, things changed. Maybe it was just the changing times, maybe it was all the rights people were getting, maybe it was a sort of protest against tradition, or maybe it was just all the drugs. But somehow, love changed; it got a new meaning. Love change from something that was preserved to a way of life. The new generation was one full of love. They loved everyone: they loved their partners, they loved each other, they loved people everywhere, and they loved people who hated them. To quote Frank Zappa, "I will love everyone, I will love the cops as the beat the shit outta me on the streets." And they did! They gave flowers to the cops who would sometimes kill them when they protested! And yet, this new sort of love had something it didn't have before. Somehow, even though it was being shared like there was no tomorrow, it still had more meaning. It was heart-felt, and became something sacred and divine.

But then it changed again. As the hippies began to vanish, so did the love. The hippies were replaced by punks, and love with hate. The love was still there, just the hate was more apparent. And I suppose disco was there, and well as the '80s techno bands and such, but that too changed the meaning of love. Love came to mean sex. If you loved someone, and you were old enough, it meant you had sex. And that's still around today. Love began to lose it's sacredness and divinity. Just a few short years after Woodstock, love had changed into something else.

And the by the turn of the century, it was still transforming! Not only did you have all the previous cultures preaching mixed messages telling you to simultaneously love everyone, hate everyone, to make love, and have abstinence only, but you had yet another group come in! You got the emo group! Now this group is by far the most difficult to understand. In their world, love became synonymous with suffering and depression. If you were in love, you suffered. You suffered when you started to love someone, you suffered when you didn't know if that person loved you, and you suffered even more when you found out they didn't. And even if they did, somehow, you still suffered!

And through so many generations and cultures with their own meaning of love, you get a confused generation who doesn't know what to do. They start dating at the age of ten, and some of them start having sex at the age of thirteen. Thirteen. Just think about what that says about America and what love has become. Love has become something you use for a few days and throw away. You go out with someone you don't really like for a few days, hold hands maybe, and then you break up. And in some cases, it's in reverse! You're best friends, you go out, you don't talk to each other, and then you break up and hate each other. While you suffer the entire time.

And yet somehow, through all this abuse, it's survived. It's desperate and abused, like a candle about to burn out, but it's still there. Somehow, it's still maintained some of it's sacredness and divinity. It's still that idea of that one person who is your world, the one. The person you almost need to be with, because you've almost become dependent on them. And it's not about suffering or sex, it's about love. It's about that one person who has that incredible ability to make you smile. And it's still survived, through STDs, gay rights movements, civil rights movements, womens' rights movements, an era of increased divorce, an era of cutting and depression, an era of hate, an era of abstinence, and so much more.

Love is still love.

Please tear apart, I'm not really sure why I wrote this. It was just a few ideas floating around in my head, and I've just been in that sort of mood lately.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:10 am
danii says...

Really good work you have here; precise and yet sweet and enduring. Absolutely adore youre last line.

Love is still love.

Great job(:

LovelessSummer wrote a review...

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I take the term "emo" very offensivly. And I'm prepared to give a speech about said word. *clears throat* Emo is taken from the word emotional. No, said "emos" do not suffer from love exactly. It's simply that past tramatic experiences have led them to lose faith in love and, so to say, give up on it. Its like a fear, for example: If you had a very tramatic experience with clowns when you were younger, in your future you would tend to stray away from clowns. Correct?
Well, I suppose its the same for most-not all-"emo" people. No, they do not sulk around all day like the believed sterotypes, they have fun, they laugh, they play. It's just that their perception of love is just a bit differnt from"normal" people.
Okay, rant over. I agree with you on how the qualifications of love are growing thinner. Love used to be sacred and treasured, now everyone is in love. We use that term too freely now'a days. Everyone is in "love". At such an early age one really doesn't fall in love, we fall in lust. Love is loving that person despite their flaws and how they looks. Personaily not facial description. Love is when you stop being shallow and look past that person's flaws. Until then we can never really love-on relationship terms-.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:16 am
StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...

You make a lot of good points that I TOTALLY agree with. Over the years, well...what's love anymore? Some people say it's the strongest emotion but...is it really the weakest? Sorry, getting off-topic. I think this is really good, but what's your take on love? Do you have one, or are you still as confused as I am about the whole thing?

Thu May 28, 2009 7:50 pm
thedelphinater says...

Ah, but he never got it copyrighted, therefore, it cannot be copyright infringement. But just for the heck of it...

DISCLAIMER: Part of this piece (like one sentence) was based off of something my friend said at lunch.

Happy now?

Mon May 25, 2009 1:10 am
Explosive_Pen wrote a review...

Emily!!! *Tears piece apart* xD

Love is something that has changed drastically within the past few years.

Since you talk about the sixties in the next paragraph, change years to decades, perhaps?

They loved everyone: they loved their partners, they loved each other, they loved people everywhere, and they loved people who hated them.

You only need the first "they loved". You can nix all the others in that sentence.

If you loved someone, and you were old enough, it meant you had sex.

First comma is unneeded.

You got the emo group!

Oh, nonononono! "Got" is not used correctly here at all. Change it to had (or have; I'm kind of confuzzled as far as your tenses are concerned).

In their world, love became synonymous with suffering and depression.

Isn't that the same for everyone? xD *Suffers for love*

Love has become something you use for a few days and throw away. You go out with someone you don't really like for a few days, hold hands maybe, and then you break up.

Few days, few days. xD Maybe change one of 'em to "for a while"?

The person you almost need to be with, because you've almost become dependent on them.

Quoth Wes much? I call copy-right infringement!

*Ahem* Aww, Emily had a sudden outburst of sappiness? No worries, Em. I still loved this. My only thing is, it's kind of impersonal? Say what love is to you, and what it is without all the stereotyping, without the drugs and sex and beliefs and social-norms.
Not much else to say here... Great job, Em. :D

SpellsUnderTheStars wrote a review...

Oooooooooooooh the mode of love been striking yah? Haha.
Love is the strongest soldier in the feild. I wish I had it with someone. And right now I'm pretty sure it's still settled on sex= love. Never ever will I lean to that. I'll be one of those 'won't have sex unless in a serious relationship, going out for half a year and am over 16, know you love them with all your heart'. Right now I'm nearly 16, I think about sex and all but not as 'to keep a guy I'll have sex with him'. Yeah, love has been bashed around a bit. I like what you wrote, and your point.

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour