Tea & Toast

by thanataphobic

Lonely breakfasts on the chilliest of springs;
Tangles in my hair, brows pulled weak.
The slick of butter coating my chapped lips,
And slightly frostbitten fingers wrapped 'round a mug,
This bittersweet feeling is one that has lived long in my heart.

Steady crumbs fall in charades,
And stained ceramics bore my hearth,
The warmth that so evades my chest,
And perceives itself, mocking, it is its finest art.

The steady steam rises, bringing heat to my lips;
It drowns out the thoughts
Between long and hearty sips.
For tea, I trade;

My tongue craves the bland between the pleads.
So the pandemonium of my emotions can finally be put at ease.

And in crumpled pyjamas I sit;
Wondering where it all wrong.
The curdled words and curt texts
Have not befitted me strong.

And now I look out a window;
To watch the Sun bleed through the clouds,
The blackout stars have faded,
And rustles the leaves, a soft and sweet wind blows.

In the tragedy of the moment
When the voices in my head have quieted,
And the aching in my heart has dimmed,
When my mug is filled with tea;
Delightfully to the brim.

'Is it really worth it?'
Of two or more worlds
Where suffering and questioning hold equal sin,
Happiness is measured
And love is void to begin.

To this thought I shiver;
Crumpled pyjamas are not my finest.
And it is then my lips begin to quiver,
And the depth of my chest swells,
And the feeling can only grow,
The tears rolling down my cheeks have ventured well.

Crying at breakfast in the chilliest of Spring,
My mind is screaming here for you to be.
Oh,
darling.
What have you done to me?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:59 am
take3breaths says...

This is such a cute poem! Though depressing it is extremely relatable. Toast and tea are things that aren't only source of comfort at times so this really is right up my alley. This may be one of my favorite poems. I honestly cannot find a problem within this poem. I love the ending with the " oh darling". Especially because I currently feel this way. The imagery is top notch. The meaning in my opinion is simple but takes a minute to proceed making this poem particularly unique. If you have similar works I would love to see them.

oh my goodness, thank you so much! this comment made me so happy to read, haha. I currently don't have any other works, but when I do in the future, I hope you like them! Thanks again for the wonderful comment!

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:58 am
take3breaths wrote a review...

Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:59 am
Charm says...

drinking tea while reading this xD i loved this as a fellow poet and as a fellow tea-fueled human

whoa, what a coincidence, haha. Thanks a bunch!

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:01 am
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Nata! And welcome to the site! I'm Casanova, and I'll be reviewer today.

The first thing I noticed was these two lines-

Tangles in my hair, lips pulled weak.

You've already established,"lips," here, there isn't a reason to continue it in the second line. Use then, but you could also get rid of the second part of the first line and do no damage whatsoever to these lines.

The blackout stars have faded,

This is just personal preference, but I don't like this line. And here's why- this is referring to the night being completely black, yes? That's what you get when you use,"Blackout." Complete blackness. And, to me, when you look outside on a clear night.. There's more light than if you're in the day. Sounds are sharper, because what sounds are there are in complete silence. Smells not as pungent.

In the stillness of the moment

This really bugs me. If it was a still moment, leaves wouldn't be rustling, would they? I say you could keep it if you want, but try to find something besides,"stillness," if you want to correct this. I think it would make a lot better, but that's just me.

And the depth of my chest swells,

This doesn't make sense. You could be mentioning your heart, or your lungs, but which I have no indication.

Anyway, I hope this helped at least.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on!

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:50 am
Ejay1806 wrote a review...

Hey !! Ejay here for a review !
I really admire the power of the words in this poem . When I read it , I could feel the pain and agony that you must have gone through during the phase that has been so well described . I don't know about what you feel , but the title is just perfect and unique . It's such a beautiful poem . If you split it into paragraphs , it would make it a lot easier to read . Trust me when I say that long poems without adequate spacing between lines scare too many potential readers away . And you really don't want that .
The line in which you talk about Hell and Heaven seems a bit off to me . I suggest that you rework it , so that the rhythm is maintained .
Don't mind my nosing in . In the description , you had written that you were forced to post this poem . Although a poem this good ought to be shared , I would like to say that if you don't want to do something , don't do it .
My sincere apologies again .
That's it .
Cheers !!
Regards,
Ejay

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:28 am
willachilles says...

Awesome.

thanks!

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus