Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

The House on Mango Street

by talkingbird

This is more a REFLECTION on the book, not a review

And so she spent her life

By the window

Waiting

Hope

Under the streetlight

Somewhere

When will the star fall?

I know

What the trees teach

Keep

Keep

Keeping

The mice away

And

The fathers

The belt

The shoes

The ugly

But

I am strong

Big

invisible

Not a daughter

Not ready

Not Now

Again

By the window

Waiting

waitingwaitingwaiting

For the island

But the only thing here

Is papaya and coconut

All I see

Is

Dancing

and Skinnysecret Trees

All I see

Magazinesbookslies

Liar a hundredthousandmillion times

I don’t want to see

that

I want to be home

Not by the window

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:43 am

It's been ages since I read A House On Mango Street, so I didn't remember much of it. After reading this though, it started coming back to me in bits and pieces!

I liked this! You've got a great grasp on pace, using the spacing to your advantage. There were minor inconsistencies that confued me or that I noticed, but I really could hardly change it in anyway. It's well-written and fun to read. I enjoy these kinds of things!

I'm not sure if there was a change in POV or maybe I just didn't pick up on that (in which case, ignore me!), but the first sentence mentioned a "she," which I assumed to be the narrator, but then it went into first person, who also sounded like the narrator.

There was also very little punctuation which was probably on purpose. It could also be the root of some confusion while reading. However, I'm not a poet, so I can't really give a firm opinion on that. XD I liked it anyhow, so it's probably fine!

Good work! (And good book, right?)

Jabber, the One and Only!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:05 am
RebelAngel wrote a review...

It was very nicely written- but sometimes the phrase breaks were a bit confusing. I enjoyed reading it, but at times, the point of the piece was lost on me. It was well written, just read it aloud to yourself- maybe you'll see the places that the wording became confusing.

RA

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:59 pm
Gryffindor13 says...

Beautiful! I don't have a single criticism. It was just beautiful!

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller