What makes a man

by swissmiss

My mother told me age doesn't make me a man

She said what separates the boys from men she'll explain as best she can

Don't live a life of envy, jealousy or greed.

Spend your time helping those who are in need

Learn lessons and forgive yourself for all your past mistakes

And take the blame when you are wrong, no matter what the stakes

Remember whats important stay loyal through and through

Show people they can trust you in every thing you do

Your confidence in yourself shows your masculinity

Don't allow yourself to feed on others negativity

Don't do things to be praised, or for the recognition

Don't do things that are wrong, just because you have ambition

It might take you extra time to reach your final goal

But you can look back and be proud when you are very old

Don t look at all the things, that other people do

Later you will notice they wish they were like you

Are you proud of your actions at the end of every day

If you're not then change some things and know that that's okay

Know that you will do great things in whatever you pursue.

As long as you take pride, in everything you do.

So live a happy life, and do the best you can

I have taught you all the lessons of what makes a real man

Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:56 am
Cozmo2024 says...

A very enjoyable poem! I love the rhyming and I like how you put the reader into the POV of the poem.

Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:51 pm
Sillyguy02 wrote a review...

Hello, and I, the silliest of billies, am here to write a review for this very wholesome story!
This story is nicely written, I almost feel like I'm the boy in this scenario, with my mother giving me one of life's most valuable lessons that will stick with me for years.
I feel like in this world, where toxic masculinity is so very present in our days, the idea of this boy being given a useful lesson from his mother, as opposed to his father, is very real.
I like the idea that someone younger can read this and take this to heart, making sure to never live a life of hatred and to spread positivity wherever they go.
Whoever this boy in the story is, I'm sure he'll grow up to be a respectable and kind gentleman with this sort of lesson from such a caring mother :)

Overall, "What Makes a Man" was an enjoyable read that brightened my day! Would recommend to a friend!
This is the Silliest of Billies signing out, wishing you a good day or good night! Where ever you may be ^^

Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:25 pm
aSillyNeurodivergent wrote a review...

Hey, I just want to leave a review here :D

This is a wholesome story/poem about a mom telling her son what makes a person mature—telling her son and taking the time to tell him what's considered grown-up. I also like it because it gives an opportunity for younger kids on this site to learn what's important, and what's important about being responsible. It brings a smile to my face to see somebody publishing this. It's very important to learn this early in life.
Anyways bye :)

swissmiss says...

Thank you so much. I just joined this sight yesterday and I am so happy to have someone read my poem. I have so many personalized poems that I think are great and could be tweaked for other people. I don't know if I could share them though. I guess I would have to make them generic. Ideas? Thanks so much for your review

“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester