z

Young Writers Society


12+

Ella

by sweeterthanfiction11


It would be impossible to explain my relationship with Ella Harley. She was an English nerd with a knack for my Grandmother’s crime novels, and I was a techno geek who dreamed of becoming a filmmaker. We both had a witty sense of humor and dreams too big for our own good, and it was glorious. I had a feeling that I was the only one she let read her writing, and she was definitely the only one I let read mine. I was always pushing her to make it more public, and she in return would say, “When you do the same with yours, maybe,” which was the equivalent of, “Yeah, when pigs fly, moron.” Now that I think about it, what we had wasn’t exactly what I’d even call a relationship, it was more of an advanced affiliation. I think she was scared of messing up with me. She never was a risk taker outside of her writing. But I know she caught me looking at her in class, and I think I felt her eyes on me sometimes in Calculus. Never English, her eyes were always glued in English, her heart always set. I remember how much she enjoyed the Latin, explaining it as an advanced jigsaw where pieces came together to make a big picture, but where every piece wasn’t specific to a certain one. Her favorite word was magnanimous, because it meant literally (she stressed the literally.) full of great soul. After a time it was my favorite word as well, for it was the only one which completely captured what the word Ella meant to me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4125 Reviews


Points: 259822
Reviews: 4125

Donate
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

It would be impossible to explain my relationship with Ella Harley. She was an English nerd with a knack for my Grandmother’s crime novels, and I was a techno geek who dreamed of becoming a filmmaker. We both had a witty sense of humor and dreams too big for our own good, and it was glorious. I had a feeling that I was the only one she let read her writing, and she was definitely the only one I let read mine. I was always pushing her to make it more public, and she in return would say, “When you do the same with yours, maybe,” which was the equivalent of, “Yeah, when pigs fly, moron.” Now that I think about it, what we had wasn’t exactly what I’d even call a relationship, it was more of an advanced affiliation. I think she was scared of messing up with me. She never was a risk taker outside of her writing. But I know she caught me looking at her in class, and I think I felt her eyes on me sometimes in Calculus. Never English, her eyes were always glued in English, her heart always set. I remember how much she enjoyed the Latin, explaining it as an advanced jigsaw where pieces came together to make a big picture, but where every piece wasn’t specific to a certain one. Her favorite word was magnanimous, because it meant literally (she stressed the literally.) full of great soul. After a time it was my favorite word as well, for it was the only one which completely captured what the word Ella meant to me.


Ohh..kay, certainly a very interesting little paragraph there. Not sure if this is perhaps meant to be a prologue of sorts or just exactly what this is, but, as a sort of introduction to this character Ella, and the relationship that the narrator here and said character here is definitely pulled off pretty neatly in this one.

The description of these two personalities is really done quite well here, you certainly go into sort of the things that they share in common, but you can see even as the two mesh together, they are also two very different people. You've certainly done a wonderful job creating two characters that seem to be very suited to each other but still with very easily distinguishable personalities there. Well, and then of course to add that there's that wholesome ending there with the Latin word. And ahh, its just one of those extremely sweet moments that leave you just with only the ability to say Awww.....and ahh, I really love the way that you ended this little paragraph here.

So, well there's that, the fact that the whole thing is one chunky paragraph is a bit of an issue but, just a simple bit of splitting this up, especially at the bit of dialogue there would easily solve that and this is just a really wholesome piece of writing here. :D

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 667
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:19 am
Bexy2556 wrote a review...



Hi there,

This is quite a lovely opening and I enjoyed reading it.

Just a couple of points really. First of all, it would be better to have dialogue in a different paragraph, if anything to just break up the chunk of writing making it easier to read.

Is this a kind of prologue to your story? It seems to be a flashback as there are a lot of past tense words in there.

I feel like there needs to be a little more description of the characters, especially of the female. It seems the male narrative has strong feelings for her and so perhaps would do more to fixate on her features as well as her nature.

Other than that, I think this is a good start to a story. As I said, this would probably make a better prologue than say, part of the first chapter. I look forward to seeing this develop and what story develops from it.

Keep up the good work :)




Random avatar

Points: 401
Reviews: 4

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:00 am
lexydeluca wrote a review...



This is a very nice start! My opinion would be when you're doing dialogue to put what the characters are saying in another paragraph!

" Yeah when Pigs fly moron"

Then continue with the rest. So it's not all one paragraph like you have it there. It makes it easier for us as readers to see what's going on and what's being said.

I would also explain the characters a little more in the beginning. The beginning of the story is meant for description of the main characters. Or atlas explain the relationship a little too. I thought they were just friends. Doesn't necessarily have to tell everything about it, just a little more detail


But other than that this is a very good start. I hope you continue to write! Seems like it'd be a good short story.




User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:39 am
artybirdy wrote a review...



I’m here to review!

Are you planning to continue this story, or will it remain as it is? If it ends like this, then it should be categorised as a short story, not a novel / chapter.

I thought it was short and sweet, especially because a boy narrates it. If it’s possible, I’d like you to expand on this story to make us connect with the characters. I’m interested to know if they ever became a couple, and how he copes after she’s gone. Has she left the school or passed away? This question needs an answer unless, of course, you’ve left it vague on purpose. I would’ve also preferred if you showed us some of the their times together, i.e. give us a flashback, rather than telling their story to us through his perspective. For example:

We both had a witty sense of humor and dreams too big for our own good, and it was glorious.

Instead of telling us that they had a “witty sense of humor”, show them in a situation where they use it.

It’s not an original concept but, if you decide to develop it further, add realistic and unique twists and turns to might make it so. I have noticed a couple of grammar and punctuation errors, but nothing a quick edit can’t fix. Good job!

Well done, and keep writing!

P.S. I hope this review helped you somewhat.




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:18 pm
Elinor wrote a review...



Hi! Welcome to YWS! :)

Should this be in short stories rather than novels? I'm not sure. I'm interested to know if you have more of this.

Even though this idea isn't wholly original, I don't think it much matters because you do a good job of making the reader feel. When people die suddenly (I assume she died) it's always so tragic, especially if they're young. We're supposed to grow old and die quiet deaths surrounded by the people we love after we've lived our lives, but it certainly doesn't always happen that way. People are cut down while they still have so much life to live, and there's something strangely compelling about seeing it play out in fiction. So what you have to do is to make your story stand out, make the characters feel real so we connect with them emotionally, and ultimately remember this.

And the biggest obstacle in doing that right now for you is that this is all summary. All tell and no show, if you will. All we get is a thick paragraph of the narrator explaining what this girl meant to him, but I want to see it. Tell me a story about how the narrator copes with her death, and how he changes as a result of it. What does it make him feel that he's never felt before? What does he grow through? What does he learn in the end?

There's definitely a compelling story here, but I'm not seeing the full one right now.

Let me know if you have any questions! Best,
Elinor

P.S. If you want to read a really good story that deals with the death of a minor, a famous Batman story arc from the 1980s called "A Death in the Family" was adapted into a radio drama and someone posted sit on youtube. It's very powerful, and I can provide you the links if you desire.




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 308
Reviews: 52

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:05 pm
Sillia wrote a review...



Sillia here!

She was an English nerd with a knack for my Grandmother’s crime novels, and I was a techno geek who dreamed of becoming a filmmaker.
Neat! One tiny mistake however
She was an English nerd with a knack for my Grandmother's crime novels; and i was a techno geek...

Never English, her eyes were always glued in English, her heart always set.
Awww that's so sweet and so me xD try changing up the wording a little bit though! instead of "her eyes were always glued in English.." put what her eyes were glued to. Is it the teacher, or the book, or the material, chalk board, white board, screen; get my drift?

I remember how much she enjoyed the Latin, explaining it as an advanced jigsaw where pieces came together to make a big picture, but where every piece wasn’t specific to a certain one

I love the start of this and the jigsaw puzzle reference but i got confused at the end. Try playing with the words a little bit!

(she stressed the literally.

Don't need a . here :P

After a time it was my favorite word as well, for it was the only one which completely captured what the word Ella meant to me.

I loved this part till i went back and reread the previous sentence. The ending is a little odd and so is the meaning. Do you mean that Ella had a great soul to the speaker? or that she was his "soul"? Im a tad confused. If theres a way for you to explain it to me that'd be great.

Otherwise i love this so much. It was perfect and i'm enthralled by it and can't wait to read more :)

Keep writing!

Sillia





See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451