z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Places In My Mind

by summerlovee


As the day finishes and I have no where else to go, no one else to see, 
I explore my mind. 

I take a deep breath and I close my eyes. 

The sun is setting just above the mountains and its light bathed the vast landscape with its warm glow. The fields were stretched out with golden, brown and green squares and rose and fell like waves on a gentle ocean. A soft breeze blew over the hillside and the leaves and flowers danced along with the direction it went. I wish I could lay down in the middle and feel the softness of the grass enveloping my body as I closed my eyes and experience the way the wind would whisper, its lips barely touching the surface of my skin.

But it doesn't take long for the thoughts to start circling around and around and around, attaching themselves into every fold and corner of my brain. 

Have I finished my assignment? 

Does anything else need to be done?

Is my friend angry at me? 

Endless questions.

Never able to go back to the place of serenity again. 

I just want it to be silent. 


 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:30 pm
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello, Steggy here for a short review!

A very nice and description poem that covers mostly what is happening in some people's mind. This doesn't exactly seem like a poem you'd read in a second but instead something you'd see inside of a short story or something. It does have a nice message, though, which I'll get into later. The one thing I want to focus on is the big chunk in the middle of this poem. It does have some nice description to it but it seems a bit too big to actually be within this poem. In my mind, I'm thinking poems are small and sweet and to the point. With this one, however, you seem to take it to the next level and proving your point through bigger paragraphs. Perhaps, you could write that chunk in some stanzas and when you do that, it'll bring a clearer picture of this poem and what you are saying about it.

But it doesn't take long for the thoughts to start circling around and around and around, attaching themselves into every fold and corner of my brain.


I do like this line but the one thing I would change would be the repeating of the word around. Usually when an author or poet is writing and they want to repeat something (I'm speaking of this in a general sense), they often times want to repeat a certain word because it has some effect on what the poem can mean. In this case, you seem to repeat to show that the circling continues on and on and on again, which is fine. But I think it should be limited to just two arounds or even just rewording it to 'start going around and around and around'.

Have I finished my assignment?

Does anything else need to be done?

Is my friend angry at me?


With these questions, you could put them in italics because you are thinking them instead of saying them aloud. In any sort of writing, it is important you do this because when the reader is reading and they read the thinking portion of someone's thoughts, it can be confusing.

Overall, I really did enjoy reading this. The description within the second chunk is nicely written and I adored the little descriptions you gave of the mountains and of the flowers. If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:39 pm
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi there! Just wanted to leave a few thoughts on your poem.

Form & Line Breaks
So, first I wanted to comment on the "prose poem" aspect or formatting of this. I thought you did good using line and paragraph breaks in a way that showed a change in tone. Although I didn't necessarily think you needed quite so many breaks in the beginning. If the lack of breaks are supposed to signify kind of the unhindered flow of the speaker's mind and the lush landscape that surrounds them there is no need for line breaks after the words "mind" or "eyes" -- in fact the transition would be more dramatic in my opinion if there were no line breaks until the change in tone starting with the line "But it doesn't take very long..."

Themes
I liked the themes you were able to portray in this short piece and I think a lot of readers can relate to that liminal space between summer and fall when we're caught between the serenity and chaos of life. I liked how in the first half you used nature descriptions to help your mental depiction of this and I wonder if you could put some nature descriptions in the second half to show some of the chaos that is interrupting the relaxation of the first half.

Flow & Significance
As far as flow I think this piece went pretty well, and that's something that is hard to do with a prose poem where you lack the ability to aid the reader's pace of reading by line breaks. I did think though that the three question you put in seemed a little out of place in their content:

"Have I finished my assignment?

Does anything else need to be done?

Is my friend angry at me? "
-- the first question just seems really insignificant compared to the last one and then the last one doesn't really have any connection to the changing seasons. I understand that maybe these are personal questions you as the author might be pondering, but for myself as a reader these just felt really random and like more universal questions could have been put in their place that work better with the theme of times changing.

Overall nice work! I enjoyed the imagery that you used. Good luck in your future writing.

~alliyah
Image




User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:24 pm
sheysse wrote a review...



Hey there! Shey here for a review!

I'll start this off by commenting on the length of the lines. They're long. Well, not all of them. But a good portion of them are longer than a traditional poem's lines are. Is this a bad thing? No, of course not. However, I feel the need to warn you of the dangers with it. The longer the lines, the harder it is to keep a consistent rhythm. You seem like a skilled poet (I went through your portfolio a bit xD), and thus probably know this, but I feel like it's probably a good call to just mention it anyway.

I really love the meaning behind this poem, because I think just about everyone can relate to it. Definitely the most important lines for delivering the message would be these:

Have I finished my assignment?
Does anything else need to be done?
Is my friend angry at me?


It's in this group of lines that the poem goes from peaceful and descriptive, to the exact opposite. The author's voice suddenly becomes stressed. My complaint here is that while the voice is different, the stanza isn't. I suggest putting a break in between those two sections, peaceful and stressful. I understand that the publishing center often destroys formatting, so here's a helpful trick to prevent that.

First, select the "</>" in the publishing center. Then put a "<p>" in front of each designated stanza, and a "</p>" at the end. This groups them into paragraphs. Next, put a "</br>" at the end of each line you want. Publish it, and it should be formatted.

Of course, this doesn't work for poems already published. So for this particular poem, I'd suggest just putting a hyphen on a line in between the two stanzas. It'll split them enough, so it should be understood.

Overall, great job! I really enjoyed this piece! Keep up the great work, cause I look forward to seeing more. :)

~Shey~




User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 3541
Reviews: 92

Donate
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 am
kostia wrote a review...



Hello there I am Kostia here for a review.

First of all I want to start by saying that you should label this as something other than poetry since it doesn't meet any qualifications of a poem. You can mark it as "other" it would be more appropriate.

In general i liked this piece, it was very personal and sincere. I really liked your choice of title "Places in my mind" since it is very easy for the reader to relate to due to the fact that we all escape at places in our minds now and then.

Your vocabulary was simple and it fits in quite nicely with the whole piece. However a few suggestions:

"attaching themselves into every fold and corner of my brain. "

Here I would use the word "mind" instead of "brain" since you are talking about thoughts it could be more appropriate to phrase it that way but "brain" is also fine.

You have very strong imagery which is something I enjoyed. I especially liked:

"The fields were stretched out with golden, brown and green squares and rose and fell like waves on a gentle ocean. A soft breeze blew over the hillside and the leaves and flowers danced along with the direction it went. "

Moreover I really liked the last two lines although I would personally change their order to:

"I just want it to be silent.

Never able to go back to the place of serenity again."

and also here instead of "never able" you can say "unable"

In general that wasn't a bad piece it has a good concept and I can detect talent in it. However it seems to me like raw inspiration and it lacks structure.

My suggestion is to read it, reread, expand and then decide what you want to make out of it. It doesn't have to be a poem, this could easily turn to a short story or a prologue with just a little imagination and effort.

I hope I was helpful. If you have any questions do not hesitate.

Keep writing!





That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee