z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Dear Jace...

by sugarscherrypop


Dear Jace,

My beloved best friend,

Right now you are scared

Scared of being hated

But do not fret,

For I will accept you.

Coming out is not easy,

Trust me I know

But you are brave

Braver than you'll ever know.

When I miss you,

I play the song

The song you love most.

It seems as if I love you,

And I do.

You are like a brother

One that I'll love forever.

Do not forget

The memories we have,

The choices we made,

And our friendship that lasts.

Let us hope it won't be our last.

Sincerely, Cher "Best Bestie".


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:42 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi there sugarcherrypop,

I'm here to review your piece! I think my first suggestion would be to go ahead and add a genre to it for two reasons 1) people are more likely to review works that are poems, stories, lyrics, or plays - and even if none of those categories fit, a little author's note saying it's experimental or epistolary or something can help clarify the artistic intention 2) genre helps a reader understand how we are supposed to be understanding the piece - as it, I'm not sure whether the intention is artistic or more blog-like - but a genre would help set the tone.

I'm not entirely sure if this piece is non-fiction because it's listed as "dramatic / realistic" - but it does certainly read as sincere I think.

I understand the primary message of the piece to be the speaker wants to communicate assurance to their friend who they feel is in a vulnerable place, so they remind them of a song that they both like. There's one sort of unresolved tension of the narrative on why these messages are communicated via letter rather than spoken and why the speaker misses the subject - has the subject passed maybe or moved? I think the end sort of moves away from that sort of interpretation but does pique my curiosity. It also seems like there could almost be a theme of unrequited or hidden love here too with the lines "my beloved friend" / "It seems as if I love you / and I do". This hidden love could be another reason the piece is in letter form rather than just communicated to the subject. Maybe there's another reason the letter can't be sent? As a reader I'm really not sure - but if this is more of a personal letter really intended to someone - best of luck in sending it if that's what you choose to do - I can't think of any repercussions for sending a good friend a friendly letter.

I think you could take this piece to the next level by perhaps playing into some of the implied narrative tension, or adding more context to the piece, or imagery - just like in novels you want to watch out balancing action and dialogue - in poetic pieces you want to catch a balance too - as is, the piece seems to be heavily dialogue, without any moments for description in there.

I think you could take a second look potentially at some of the punctuation consistency whether it's at the end of all the complete sentences or not- but overall I didn't really notice any spelling or grammatical distractions except maybe the period at the end which usually I don't think would follow a sign-off.

Hope that helps! Keep on writing.

alliyah




User avatar
221 Reviews


Points: 15119
Reviews: 221

Donate
Sun May 07, 2023 7:39 am
View Likes
AkuRashomon wrote a review...



Hello there! This is Ina a.k.a. loveissourgrpes and I am here for another review for a lovely writing piece, which I think is a letter for the writer's friend. Anyways, let's go.

Good introduction, it seems very direct. It tells readers that your friend Jace is scared of coming out and being free. You give advice and tell your friend how much you love Jace. Overall, I think this letter is very sweet and direct. But the ending could be a little bit more emotional. I don't know, because my mindset when I write letters for a loved one, I want the ending to be the most emotional part of the letter. But this letter was very sweet and good. Keep up your writing skills!

Have a good day/night everyone! I'm happy I'm the first to review this! Love to read more about @sugarscherrypop





I don't do time.
— Liberty