z

Young Writers Society



El Diablo

by strengthinnumbers


The devil loves me
He cares
The devil needs me
I’m there
The devil saved me
The truth is
The devil owns me
I’m his
The devil protects me
I’m safe
The devil wants me
The only one
The devil hates the world
I know
But the devil…
He loves me


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 71

Donate
Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:40 am
Kepe says...



This poem really didn't feel like poetry. I got no emotion from the poem, just facts. I think if you describe it a bit more, and flesh it out, it has potential to be interesting.




User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 41

Donate
Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:59 am



nothing to hate it for at all... in fact it was okay cept 4 the repetition




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 10087
Reviews: 701

Donate
Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:49 pm
bubblewrapped wrote a review...



I have no religious objection to this, if that's what you're worried about, but to be honest it's not a very good poem. As Phoebe said, the repetition does nothing for it and there is no emotion or imagery for the reader to connect with. I really can't see the point to it.

It passes as a warm-up, but next time try for something a little less formulaic and a little more poetic.

Cheers,
~bubbles




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:22 am
Phoebe wrote a review...



I have to say, I don't hate it for the reasons I think you feared--but truly, I cannot say I like it at all. The repetition is mind-numbing, and while I think there is something to be said for your idea and its potential--as long as you avoid anything too navel-gazing or emo--this, I'm afraid, I cannot describe as anything vaguely reminiscent of "good poetry."

Better luck next time.




User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 59

Donate
Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:13 am
order wrote a review...



This was pretty good. I expected something really dark and depressing (you know, the garden variety sad poem). You did a really good job of staying away from that though. The only thing I would suggest is when you write, "The truth is" you should make that line a separate stanza and the, on the next stanza, continue with the rest of the poem so that it flows better. When you just have it all in one stanza then the pattern you have about writing something about the devil and then your response is kind of broken but if you make it a separate stanza, it's more like a pause and then a continuation. Otherwise, nice job.





He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how.
— Friedrich Nietzsche