Frienimies

by stargazer9927

Cassidy and I are frienimies.

I first met her sophomore year, the same year I met Tyler (just a little later), and from the beginning I was super jealous of her. She used to be in my chemistry class and the first time we ever really spoke to each other (even though she sat right behind me) she asked me if I liked Tyler because he had told her a girl at school liked him and he described me.

I denied it at first and told her that wasn't important, but after a while of that game I admitted to them all (since it wasn't a secret) that I did in fact like him.

She told me they had been best friends since they were little and this was kind of cool.

I went home that day all upset. I told myself I couldn't have him, because he was already taken. I was mad and I put Cassidy on my list of the only girl in history I have ever been jealous of. I'm not one to get jealous of those girls that wear a ton of makeup and have every boy in the school after him, but when she came around I was way jealous.

My jealousy lasted all of sophomore year, preventing us from becoming friends. I avoided her all the time, I had dream after dream of my jealousy involving her and Tyler, and I vented to all my friends how jealous I was. We hardly ever spoke that year. I saw her around, but that was about it.

Then junior year everything changed. She was in another one of my classes for a semester and I suddenly saw her differently. She was so much like me and I could see her becoming a great friend. I found myself talking to her all the time and we did become good friends. I learned a lot about her and I told her a lot about myself.

But when I saw her next to Tyler, my evil side suddenly came into play. I suddenly didn't like her, I was jealous, and I only wished he would see me for what I was. I didn't let the jealousy take over as it did the previous year. She and I stayed friends for that entire year and it continued into senior year.

But once senior year hit the friendship was suddenly different. Up to her face I thought she was a sweet person and would tell her she was awesome, but at home I would be upset and rant about things. It was during this period of getting to know her that I found out she thought of Tyler as only a friend and he had never been taken. But he still liked her and that really made me upset.

And now that senior year draws to a close I can honestly say we're frienimies. I've never had a frienimy before and it's kind of weird, but Cassidy is an awesome girl and I can't ever think about judging our friendship based off my jealousy. I've gotten older now, but our friendship status will always remain. I'm positive she doesn't know about this and I plan to keep it that way. I wouldn't want anything jeopardizing our friendship.

I wrote this just barely and I wasn't going to do anything with it but then I decided to put it on YWS. I know frienimies isn't a word but it does exist, kind of like ain't and other words. It's a term my friends use to describe a situation like this, so that's why I used it.

Amfliflier wrote a review...

Hi!

This was pretty good, but it doesn't seem very much like a romance story. It seems more like a realistic fiction type thing. But other than that it was pretty good. The description was pretty good, and I liked how you portrayed the jealousy.

Nice job!

stargazer9927 says...

Might I just say you guys are extremely smart and I wasn't expecting you to pick up on the fact that it was a true story. But yes, it is true. I've posted true stories on here before but no one has ever caught on. It's the only romance I know how to write because I'm not good with just coming up with Romance story without making it sound totally fake.

I changed names by the way:) Neither Tyler nor Crissy exist. But I figured it was best not to use their real names because it may just come back to get me later.

captain.classy, your comment made me laugh. Maybe I never got out of the middle school phase, even though I'm a senior:)
But I couldn't think of anything to call it because nothing else would make sense. And I never had a frienimy in junior high so once high school hit nothing changed.

Oh and theotherone, this is a short story not a chapter book. But thanks for saying that because it did make me happy. I'm already working on four novels so I would say I could turn this into a chapter book but I don't have the time. Plus I have a novel in which I posted on this site that is romance that is a lot like this but the girl isn't quite the same.

Thanks for all your reviews and I'm glad you liked it. I'll definitely take your advice.

housecat wrote a review...

So... This is true, right? I like it, but I want to know more. I want to know why this girl is sweet, what she looks like, what is her social status. Also, what makes you like Tyler so much? It is obvious that you like him a lot, because you still haven't gotten over him throughout the years. I think this was really cute and actually pretty interesting, but you should give us more details!

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:18 am
captain.classy wrote a review...

This is interesting. It's one of those pieces you read that has you asking, "Is this a true story?" It's so innocent and thoughtful, it seems like one. What I don't like about this, and I'm sorry if this is a true story, is that it's a little too innocent, a little too perfect. I honestly don't think any high school girl goes around calling this girl a frienimie. But that just might be the crowd I hang around in. This sounds more like a story belonging to middle schoolers (11-13 maybe?).

What I do like about it is how the emotion (it's not plural since there's only one emotion in this story) you're conveying totally fits how a high school kid feels: jealous. I know that I have problems with jealousy; I've liked a couple of guys who have girlfriends, and I know there's nothing I can do. But I get closer to this guy and it gets harder. You should probably but that in there. How you character starts to suffer, in a sense, because she likes him so much but knows she can't have him.

Basically what I'd like to see in this story is more of the emotions your character is feeling. I know this story is mainly about the friendemie thing, but you should add some more aspects to it; it would make it longer and a bit more interesting. I also think you should add what ends with the boy, since this is in the romantic stories genre, there isn't much romance in it. You should try to romance it up if you categorize it as this! ^^

Keep writing, I enjoyed reading this.

Classy

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:20 am
theotherone wrote a review...

Hello there. :)

I'm not one to get jealous of those girls that wear a ton of makeup and have every boy in the school after #FF0000 ">her, but when she came around #FF0000 ">comma, I was way jealous.

Then #FF0000 ">everything changed when we were in junior year.

I changed the phrasing so it would be a little better to understand.
#FF0000 ">When we were face to face, I thought she was a sweet person and would tell her she was awesome, but at home I would be upset and rant about things.

And now that senior year draws to a close #FF0000 ">and I can honestly say we're frienimies.

I've never had a frienimy before and it's kind of weird, but Cassidy is an awesome girl and I can't ever think about judging our friendship based off #FF0000 ">of my jealousy.

It's a good start, but it was a little bit weird. Normally, the first chapter is to introduce the characters and the conflict (which you did), but the way you did wasn't normal. Writers tend to write a normal day for their characters so we can see how they are. Anyways, so my point is it was original, the way you did it. Although, I think it's a little bit too much information for the first chapter. But, I might say that I don't know what your story is about, and you probably have a lot more planned out for this novel then what is written there, right? I hope so. ;)

That said, you might want to re-write it if it is your entire plot.

And by the way, the story has a lot of potential. I would like to read the next chapter. :)

-Other One

If you can't get out of your comfort zone, you'll never find what you're looking for. Don't make things quick and easy to feel better short term. Make a change and then you'll feel better longer term.
— Frinderman