Biking Past the River, on Hills

by spottedpebble

I am a Bird

Soaring along

Not in the Clouds, but below them.

Close to Earth yet so far.

See the Magpies fly.

~

I am a Fish

Swimming through the River

Going ever onwards, at Peace with the World.

-I am a Clam,

Sitting at a close,

Opening with Luck.

~

I am at one with Nature

Soaring and Swimming,

Being who I am with no consequence.

The animals accept me,

The Water and Sky welcome me,

I can be among their ranks,

One of them,

Until I glide back to Earth

Calm and smooth,

Calling see you later to my friends in Nature,

And continuing my ride

Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:32 am
anasahmad4565 wrote a review...

Your poetic expression beautifully conveys a sense of unity with nature, as you transition between being a bird, fish, and clam. The imagery of soaring, swimming, and the interaction with various elements of the natural world paints a serene and harmonious picture. The poem celebrates the idea of being part of nature, with a sense of belonging and acceptance among the animals, water, and sky. It's a reflective and peaceful piece of writing

Why, thank you.

herbalhour wrote a review...

review time ^-^

ONE: THINGS I LIKED

Beginning each stanza with I am creates a very distinct rhythm and feel to the poem, and helps make it come together nicely. I also enjoyed the stanza about I am a Bird. Using the saying "so close but so far" in your own words to refrence a bird made that particular stanza very distinct.

TWO: THINGS THAT COULD USE IMPROVEMENT
Nothing really, however it irks me that you capitalized words like River and Luck, however this might just be your writing style. It doesn't irk me that much though.

THREE: CONCLUSION
Overall, a really great poem! Flows well, and utilizes personification and metaphors beautifully. :D

-TEA (^___^)

Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:33 am
Liminality wrote a review...

Hi there! Welcome to YWS! Lim here with a review.

General Impressions and Interpretation

This is a poem with a light atmosphere and an appreciation towards nature. Actually, I think the speaker, “I”, not just appreciates nature, but also seems to identify with it, saying “I am” the birds, the clams and the fish. The subject seems to be a stretch of time during a person’s bike ride where they feel particularly attuned to their surroundings. I think it’s a particular time/place because of the title, but also because the last lines of the poem imply the speaker leaves the place behind at some point (as opposed to feeling like a bird, clam, etc. all of the time).

Being who I am with no consequence.

^ I liked this line! It fits in with my interpretation that the speaker identifies with the various aspects of nature. When they ride through this area they feel like they can be part of a bigger whole rather than having to be a ‘consequential’ individual. This seems to give them a sense of peace and freedom.
The lack of punctuation at the end was interesting – it kind of reflects how the bike ride is still ongoing, hence there’s no period/ full stop to it.

Structure

The flow and structure of the poem are generally good. It sounds smooth when I read it aloud.
I like how the third stanza seems to bring the first two stanzas together. The words “soaring” and “swimming” are repeated there (each from one earlier part), so it feels like the third stanza is a conclusion or continuation of what came before, which is nice.

I noticed a half-rhyme between ‘later’ and ‘nature’, which makes this line sound good, even though it is a sudden long line amidst a bunch of shorter ones.

Imagery and Language

The imagery and language here appear to be relatively minimalistic, without any similes or detailed descriptions of feathers or fish scales, etc.
Close to Earth yet so far.
See the Magpies fly.

I got a bit stuck here, because the switch to an instruction (“see the magpies”) felt sudden. Not sure if that was the intention?

Another uncertainty I had was how to interpret the clam metaphor. While it’s easy to see how a bird and a swimming fish might be compared to a person biking, I found it harder to find a connection to clams, which don’t move a lot. Perhaps it's because the person is sitting on the seat of the bicycle like a clam?

Soaring along
Not in the Clouds, but below them.

I liked the word choices in these lines – emphasizing the speaker is “below” the clouds shows the contrast between human and bird. It’s also a specific description which helps me imagine the scene of the person biking, with the clouds moving slowly above them.

As a whole, this poem is a nice appreciation of the natural world. I like that it also seems to hint at more meaning and interpretations, such as the thought of how exactly the speaker relates themself to the animals, water and sky.

Let me know if you’d like more feedback on something specific!
-Lim

Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:10 am
EllieMae wrote a review...

Hi there! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Hi there! Ellie here for a review! I hope you're doing well. Let's get right into it:

Top Graham Cracker - What I Know

Throughout this poem, you begin with different 'I Am' statements. I love bold statements like this and i enjoy using them in my own poetry, because I feel like it does a good job setting the stage, so to say. This allows readers to really look closely and see what symbolize they can draw out for themselves. I likes gow you used these statements because it allowed me to become a bird, a fish, a clam or one with nature. I grew up in nature, so this poem resonated with me because it brought back fond memories of being small. I love how this poem focuses on nature being accepting and how we can become One. Overall, I love the premise!

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - Room for Improvements

I am wondering, did you mean to include the dash here?

"-I am a Clam"

Its so hard to find critiques for this beautiful piece! I did notice a couple of times you repeated words like 'swimming'. You follow a pattern of repeating the word 'and' after describing an animal, but if that's what you were going for I see no problem with it!

Chocolate Bar - Highlights of the Piece
I love the emphasis on how you became one with nature. It gives me a sense of peace and security. Like I mentioned earlier, I love nature, so this piece brought back memories that I felt, as you described in this poem, accepted and free.

Closing Graham Cracker - Closing Thoughts
Thank you so much for this lovely poem! Please have a great day <3 I hope to read more of your work!

-Ellie Mae

spottedpebble says...

Just so you know, I inserted the ~ symbol where I meant to leave a blank line. Unfortunately, it wouldn't let me leave a space to separate stanzas, so I decided to use ~ instead.

Liminality says...

Heya! If you use the classic editor when uploading your poem, it will let you use a space to separate stanzas. There should be a button that says 'switch to classic editor' on the bottom right of the box where you paste your text in the Publishing Center.

Good to know, thanks!

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare