z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone Violence

The derps

by splatteringskelton21


“A land ethic leader once told me that the most important rule in life is to treat others the way you want to be treated. If this rule is not enforced the community will collapse.” And so it did on a Monday afternoon. “ I still remember the day it happened as if it was yesterday. There was no water, barely any food, we the people were suffering and so were the animals. We did not have a leader, and were in complete chaos. Days passed. Then months. The population was `decreasing every second of the day, and we had no idea what to do. We were all confused, afraid, and dehydrated; the rivers were contaminated from our factories. Finally, one day, a man stepped up on a stool outside of our library and spoke.” My people, I may have an idea about how to save our land.”

The man began to speak, but people started to throw objects and rotting food at him. The man did not understand why this was happening. “What are you doing? All I am trying to do is to help our community!” The people began to yell, “ Your ideas are preposterous! You do not even belong here, and you are trying to tell us what to do? What is wrong with you?” Other men started to beat him, hours later, he bled out. After this incident, no one dared to speak about anything. Eventually, everyone that has lived on that land died from starvation, diseases or dehydration. Then one day a child walked up on the land and things began to change drastically.

As the boy walked, flowers began to grow, trees emerged from the ground saying hello, music began playing, rivers formed, and other features. He was surprised by this,and began running everywhere. He finally discovered how beautiful the sight was then. Suddenly a small creature jumped on his leg and began crawling on him, he freaked out and started running everywhere, but he then heard a scream. He looked around and saw a tiny purple blurry figure laying on the ground covered in blood. “ Oh my God, I’m so sorry, what have I’m done? Are you okay? “ he asked without expecting a response. “ I-I think so, I think you stepped on my rib and punctured a lung, but I should be okay, I mean I’m not squished.” said the creature. The boy picked up the dude and kissed him on the cheek. “ Come on little guy, let’s get you pain-free. He walked toward a river and washed him in it, which healed him instantly. “ I’ll call you Patrick.”

The boy sat Patrick on his shoulder and began walking. “ Yo dog, I really appreciate you saving my butt out there- please let me make it up to you by giving you this enchanted necklace. Patrick pointed to the charms. “ You see, this is a banana, and this is a donut. In order to activate the spell you have to put the banana in the hole of the donut. Your wish then gotta come true, but it only comes true when you are in danger. Aight?” “ Oh, um.. Okay? Thanks sir!” The sun began to set and the boy and creature fell asleep.

The boy woke up frightened. He had no idea where Patrick was. Then suddenly,“ Aye yo, I’m walking here!” Patrick stood there astonished. The boy ran to him and noticed what he was staring at. Underneath a Muslim spruce were even more derps. “ Aye yo, my guys! What’s poppin’ asked the whole crowd all at once. Patrick sprinted to his people and started hugging all of the them. “ I had no idea that there were more of yous! I didn’t expect this kind of surprise!” “ Yeh! We’ve been lookin’ for ya! Whos that giant kid behind yous over there?” they all spoke. “ Aye,yo! You, get cha’ bum self over here!” Patrick yelled at the boy. The kid slowly walked toward the derps afraid of what he was about to experience. “ Who is you?” Patrick asked him. “ Well, I came from a civilization long time ago, in Aztec. It was a barren wasteland. I tried to help them, but they rejected my ideas and told me to leave. I then stumbled upon this land and found you generous figures. I made this land, and you, but I have no idea how or why. All we can do is to try to keep this environment as well as we can. If we don’t, it will crumble and we will be left in ruins. So please, help me keep this land alive!”

“ Aight! That's a little sad, I’m sorry ya had to go through that! We will definitely help ya, we owe it to ya for saving our boy! But first what do we needa’ do? “ The Derps all spoke. “ Oh my, thank you for your kind gestures! We must set rules and regulations in order for this to work. So let's get started!” Patrick crawled under the Muslim spruce with his family and fell asleep. The boy slept nearby and soon enough it was morning.

The Derps suddenly sit up and scream “ meow!” until everyone is awake in the forest. The boy jolted awake startled by the sound. “ Can you shut your pie holes for once?! I’m trying to sleep over here!” The Derps quickly jump on the boy and start stabbing him with twigs.”Ayeeee, yo! What the freak kid? This is what we do, so back off!” The boy began to bleed and Patrick stood there looking at him. “ Yo, ya guys go away, I got dis’. The Derps quickly left and Patrick crawled upon his body and began to lick the blood off vigorously. “Oh my, this is..oh ....oh boy.” The boy was uncomfortable but...oddly started to enjoy it, “Oof.” Patrick stopped and stared at him. “I love you” the boy quietly whispered. “ Shh, child, I know. “ Patrick responded. A whole day went by quickly, playing and exploring their land.

The boy woke up to the Derps alarm system, and saw nothing but blurred words. He sat up and removed the paper lying on his face, and began to read. “ The Land Ethic by Aldo Leopold” The piece was about conservation and the conflict between nature and man, and how education and our economy was a problem. It also explained how important it was to respect the biotic community and the people. “Wow, this is outstanding. I must share this with Patrick.” The dude then got up and started to look for his lover. Hours passed and Patrick was nowhere to be found. The Derps were even looking for their long lost friend, knowing that he was gone forever because of what they've done. The boy became very depressed but used the scripture for his land. That was the only thing he had- he can't let that go as well.

One day the boy became curious and decided to look under the Muslim spruce. What he saw was shocking. There in the middle of the room was Patrick. His body was laying there disfigured, his head hanging up on the wall, and blood was splattered everywhere on the walls. “P-patrick?” “ Aye, yo, kid. What cha doin’ here?” The Derps spoke all at once. The boy stood up and remained silent. The Derps came out of their home and all looked up at him. “ Kid, we did this for ya. All we wanted was yer attention. Patrick had it all- it didn't sit wit’ us.” The boy became furious and abruptly began stomping on the Derps. He heard their screams and cries but he couldn't stop himself, he was filled with satisfaction knowing they were suffering like Patrick had. Finally they were all dead, he had gotten his revenge,and showed them the attention they craved so badly. He had one last statement. “What can I say except you're welcome.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 350
Reviews: 5

Donate
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:32 pm
BagelMarie wrote a review...



Hello, friend!

To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like this story - I'm not a big fan of the post-apocalyptic theme, but then it went in a direction I was not expecting at all! Your story started out sad, then got really funny, and then became sad again, but I really enjoyed reading something so different and unexpected! Kudos on your creativity! :)

Now for the nit-picking...

[And so it did on a Monday afternoon.]
I like this sentence, and the use of description with the "Monday afternoon" bit, but I think it needs a comma to really kick up the drama. You could also turn up the drama by putting this on its own separate line:
"If this rule is not enforced, the community will collapse.”

And so it did, on a Monday afternoon.

“I still remember the day it happened as if it was yesterday."

[I still remember the day it happened as if it was yesterday.]
This guy is a little awkward... Too much use of the word 'day': "I still remember it as if it were yesterday."

[There was no water, barely any food, we the people were suffering and so were the animals.]
Another awkward sentence: "There was no water, and barely any food; the suffering was shared by humans and animals alike."

[The man began to speak, but people started to throw objects and rotting food at him.]
Maybe 'continued' would be a better word? He had already begun, especially if he had also listed all his ideas.

[Other men started to beat him, hours later, he bled out.]
Another awkward one, plus it's a missed opportunity for some great imagery! Try something like:
"More and more furious people came forward to beat the helpless man. The cracking of his bones was intermingled with the sounds of angry yelling, and as the crowd began to disperse, he was left alone in the street. The poor man lied there, unconscious in a pool of blood, until life eventually slipped away from him."
A little more graphic, but it paints a picture, yeah?

[Then one day a child walked up on the land and things began to change drastically.]
More missing commas, and I think this one could also be on a separate line for added drama: "Then one day, a child walked up on the land, and things began to change drastically."

[As the boy walked, flowers began to grow, trees emerged from the ground saying hello, music began playing, rivers formed, and other features.]
GREAT sentence, until "other features." I'd either wrap it up by saying: "...music began playing, and rivers formed." Or by readjusting the last bit: "...rivers formed, and all manners of other life sprang forward."

[Suddenly a small creature jumped on his leg and began crawling on him, he freaked out and started running everywhere, but he then heard a scream.]
Run-on sentence, plus you had just used "started running everywhere" a couple of sentences ago. These can easily be separate sentences: "Suddenly, something jumped on his leg and began crawling up. The boy freaked out and tried to run frantically, but when he felt something underfoot, he heard a scream."

[“I-I think so, I think you stepped on my rib and punctured a lung, but I should be okay, I mean I’m not squished.”]
Another run-on: "I-I think so, I think you stepped on my rib and punctured a lung. But I should be okay; I mean, I’m not squished."
Also, remember that every time someone new speaks, you need a line break :)

[“Yo dog, I really appreciate you saving my butt out there- please let me make it up to you by giving you this enchanted necklace.]
I'm not sure this bit about the necklace is necessary... He never uses it, so it just kinda seems like a big useless detail.

[The boy woke up frightened.]
I think it would be beneficial to mention that it's still nighttime... I was pretty confused when they all went to sleep again and then later they awoke in the morning, haha:
"The boy woke up in the middle of the night, frightened."

[I then stumbled upon this land and found you generous figures.]
"Generous figures" is super awkward.. Sometimes it's okay to use "blah words" lol.

[“Aight! That's a little sad, I’m sorry ya had to go through that! We will definitely help ya, we owe it to ya for saving our boy! But first what do we needa’ do?“ The Derps all spoke. “Oh my, thank you for your kind gestures! We must set rules and regulations in order for this to work. So let's get started!”]
This was pretty confusing, I thought the Derps said all of this. Here's a revision idea:
"The Derps all spoke: “Aight! That's a little sad, I’m sorry ya had to go through that! We will definitely help ya, we owe it to ya for saving our boy! But first what do we needa’ do?“
The boy replied happily, “Oh my, thank you for your kind gestures! We must set rules and regulations in order for this to work. So let's get started!”"

[A whole day went by quickly, playing and exploring their land.]
This whole paragraph was hilarious, but this sentence feels like it's missing something: "A whole day went by quickly as Patrick and the boy played and explored their land."

[The Derps were even looking for their long lost friend, knowing that he was gone forever because of what they've done.]
Not really *long*-lost; he's only been gone since yesterday. Also I'd probably change "they've" to "they'd" - keeps the piece in the past tense.

[He heard their screams and cries but he couldn't stop himself, he was filled with satisfaction knowing they were suffering like Patrick had. Finally they were all dead, he had gotten his revenge,and showed them the attention they craved so badly. He had one last statement.]
Great imagery, but you've got more run-ons. I'd probably break these up with a semicolon or a hyphen:
"He heard their screams and cries but he couldn't stop himself - he was filled with satisfaction knowing they were suffering like Patrick had. Finally they were all dead; he had gotten his revenge, and showed them the attention they craved so badly."


Sorry it's so long hehe. Overall I really liked this story! I might've liked to know what the Derps look like, and I can already tell you've got the descriptive powers to explain them, but it does add a little mystery to the strangeness to not know for sure.
Keep writing! I hope to read more weirdness from you! :)

-Bagel



Random avatar


haha well i'm glad it was long, thank you, this will certainly help me! heart heart muaH



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 575
Reviews: 212

Donate
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:21 pm
EverLight wrote a review...



Please feel free to ignore my advice it is not meant to hurt you or offend you or make your story seem bad or demean it. However brace yourself for impact reagardless of what I have said. That said . . .
1. What I liked
I actually liked how weird this was. It kind of went everywhere. I loved that.

2. Flow & Style
Alright so your flow wasn't smooth somehow. The start of the story especially. Somehow it doesn't seem right.

I still remember the day it happened as if it was yesterday. There was no water, barely any food, we the people were suffering and so were the animals. We did not have a leader, and were in complete chaos. Days passed. Then months. The population was `decreasing every second of the day, and we had no idea what to do. We were all confused, afraid, and dehydrated; the rivers were contaminated from our factories. Finally, one day, a man stepped up on a stool outside of our library and spoke.” My people, I may have an idea about how to save our land.”

For starters I think you should remove that we from we the people, as well as and so the animals were suffering. I think you can reword the first three sentences. It could go something like this.
We didn't have a leader their was no food or water and we were all afraid confused and we were all suffering. Days passed, months flew by, and the population was slowly dwindling.

Something like that.

2. Character develoupment
Okay so your characters don't seem to have a personality. Like they weren't well develouped. There was also a total lack of emotion or feeling. If you want us to connect to the characters give them something we can connect with-like emotion. Describe fear panic anger-or show us examples of their desperation. Also give them more background. Tell us something about where they came from.

3. Encouragment
This was actually pretty good aside from the above problems. You can leave this as is. Those are just my suggestions for making it better. Keep it up!

4. Overall
Over all I think this was weird. Reminded me of the story of the big and little dipper. Somehow.



Random avatar


:") thank you for your advice!



User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 1176
Reviews: 22

Donate
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 am
Rodger wrote a review...



Hi splatteringskelton21 Rodger here for a quick review all thanks to you
Firstly l whould like to congratulate you for writing such an amazing story.

This peice was eye grabbing, right from the beggining which is good beceaues readers want to have an idea of the story by just writing the fisrt paragraph. And most of the time only countinue reading if it sounds interesting for them.

You wrote the story in first vioce or fisrt person, first vioce or first-person writing immediately puts the reader inside the narrator’s head, which allows for an intimate portrayal of thoughts and emotions. you can effectively communicate how each moment feels; delivering sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch, all through the prism of your narrator. What they feel, your reader feels. your: fears, hopes,love, despair, all can be delivered to the reader directly and with maximum emotional impact.

Emotion I personally belive that in every story the must be "emotion", I mean writing somthing withiout emotion is like eating bread without butter" tasteless". so emotion is very important u use bit of emotion but l belive you could have done better.
You also engage the characters inviolevd" patrick, The derps and the boy" in a dialogue formation which was good.

The only critic if l should call it that is the lack of EMOTION I really think with a bit more of emotion this story whould have been more impactful, despite that good work. And remember to "keep on wrting"



Random avatar


thank you for this! heh :")



Rodger says...


Pleasure!!




cron
It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief