Suicide

by spike71294

What is love?
What is life?
Life is sun,
And love it's light.

True love is heaven,
And in it lovers reside.
And without love,
there is no life.

Maybe that's why my eyes are wet,
As I lay in my bed.
From my wrists blood dripped,
And from my eyes tears flowed.

I thought about my love,
I thought about my life.

I remembered all those moments we spent together,
I thought they would last forever.
But alas I was wrong,
My life is like a very sad song.

I remembered the first time my lips touched your cheeks,
It was our very first kiss.
I remembered the time when you whispered in my ear,
Now these moments haunt me as a nightmare.

But you said we werent meant together,
Then you left me forever.

I said I was strong,
But inside I knew I was absolutely wrong.
I was shattered ,
and parts of me were scattered.

Then from heavens descended a light,
It was truly a beautiful sight.
That light filled me with a feeling of ease,
And at last I rest in peace.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:53 pm
Face Engine says...

Thanks for informing me that you've revised this.

As I said last time, this is really good. I don't have much to complain about, but the line "I was shattered a," appears not to be what if should be ("I was shattered,"?). That's pretty much the only criticism I can give on this! Great poem, you're a great poet, it's all great, basically.

p.s. I'm slightly hungover.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 am
vox nihili says...

Youps! Schowy! I didn't mean to post twice... ;) :oops:

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:38 am
vox nihili wrote a review...

Erm..disturbing. I'm not a big fan of suicide poems, although I've only read a few. This one is definitely heart-wrenching, and that's a good sort of poetic quality I envy greatly. But this one lends just a slight hint of being sad-sobby. It's good to try depressed poems, and this one was well-written. Depressed and dramatic=good>dramatic and sad-sobby. But there were a few instances that I was disatisfied with. I'm gonna show you the whole thing and then point out the parts I dislike that made it sound a little cheesy, thus the sad-sobby thing...

{What is love?

What is life?

Life is sun,

And love it's light.} I liked this part. The questions. It's realisitic, and romantic, not lovey romantic, but beautiful. what happened when you said 'life is sun,'? I got lost. It broke me from its flow right there, because I don't know what you mean by the metaphor. 'sun'. Do you mean warm? Explain. I loved the 'and love it's light'. but the punctuation on that line wreaks. You so need a comma after 'love, it's'.

True love is heaven,

And in it lovers reside. (LOSE THE AND, might try inserting comma after 'it'.)

And without love, (LOSE THE AND, USE 'BUT' INSTEAD)

there is no life.

Maybe that's why my eyes are wet, (LOSE THE MAYBE, it sucks the depth and emotion right out of the line, just say 'that is' to take up the syllables.

As I lay in my bed. (I don't see why you're in bed there, but for whatever purpose, the 'lay' is gramatically incorect. say 'lie' instead. PS:YOUR TENSES ARE SKEWED)

From my wrists blood dripped, (TELL ME WHY THEY'RE DRIPPING!)

And from my eyes tears flowed.

I thought about my love,

I thought about my life.

I thought they would last forever.

But alas I was wrong, (screams for a comma after 'but')

My life is like a very sad song. (very just doesn't cut it. try something more dramatic like 'horribly'.)

I remembered the first time my lips touched your cheeks, (sentence cries out for period after 'cheeks')

It was our very first kiss.

I remembered the time when you whispered in my ear,(I have no idea why you put this line here. it doesn't make a lick of sense her/him whispering in your ear when we have no idea what they said.)

But you said we werent meant together, (lose the but, and put in the dang apostrophe)

Then you left me forever. (enough with the forever's, try another word to convey finality, such as eternity or something else along those lines.)

I said I was strong,

But inside I knew I was absolutely wrong. (I love that last couplet. beautiful.)

I was shattered a, (why is there an 'a' there?)

and parts of me were scattered. (I'd lose the 'and' and the 'were', going for a fragment and the dramatic effects achieved therein.)

?Then?(Lose the then, bubs) from ?heavens?(I'd say, 'from the heavens') descended a light, (so skewed, just try what I put in.)

It was truly a beautiful sight. (lose the 'it was truly' use the truly, but in the order of 'a truly beautiful sight')

That light filled me with a feeling of ease, (don't use the 'that!!!' just say 'the!' and: SAY: 'SENSE' INSTEAD OF 'EASE'!!!! I don't care if it doesn't rhyme--it would totally make for a more powerful last stanza!)

And at last I rest in peace. (nothing wrong with this one!)

Pretty darn good, if I say so myself. You took a cliche scenario and wrote a good, original-sounding poem. But Remember: don't sacrifice good words and tone for the ring of a rhyme. Rhyme when you can, and the rest of the time, use good words. Keep writing! :D PS: I really did enjoy it!

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:00 am
mnesomeye says...

Hi again - here for a second time to check out your improvements! ^_^ I'll run through all the things I think that you could perhaps think about messing about with, and then I'll give you my verdict about whether it's improved or not! ^_^

By the way - I'm genuinely interested in how you progress as a writer, so this is a very detailed, picky review. Please, please, don't take it personally - see it more as... constructive critisism at it's finest! *laughs* Feel free to read it in parts, or to copy and paste it somewhere and come back to it later. This is going to be quite hard to digest in one sitting.

And now that you have been warned - *rolls up sleeves and puts on a ridiculously large pair of glasses* - let's begin!

First Stanza

What is love?
What is life?
Life is sun,
And love it's light.

This first stanza has the potential to be truly beautiful, and I see what you're trying to do here. However, this is completely lost because you aren't repeating the sentence structure below. If you want to keep the 'and' in the fourth line, you should add an 'and' to the second line ('And what is life?'). If you want to keep the first two lines as separate questions, the last two should be separated, and thus the 'and' removed.
Below are the new versions - the first one leaving the 'and' in the fourth line and adding one to the second, and the other with no 'and's at all. Both of them get the effect you're after - a captivating beginning with the hint of a subtle rhyme.
(You'll also notice that I've added a little bit of fancy punctuation work. The colons make the separations between each question (and answer) distinctive, is all. ^_^ )

What is love;
And what is life?
Life is sun;
And love, it's light.
<--- I've added a comma to allow this line to read easier.

- OR -

What is love;
What is life?
Life is sun;
Love is light.
<--- The word 'is' sounds much better with this format than 'it's', and mimics the sentence format above.

Second Stanza

True love is heaven,
And in it lovers reside.
And without love,
there is no life.

This stanza is cute, but the similarity you drew between love and light in the previous one is lost here. Is life like the sun, or heaven? The last two lines correlate perfectly with 'life is sun, love is light'... the first two feel as though they have been thrown in to keep with the "this emotion means this" thing you've got going on. Don't feel bad - stray away from it a bit! But definitely re-do the first two lines. Maybe draw more attention to the fact that light is what keeps the sun burning; and so, love is what makes life worthwhile, what gives life meaning.

(If you do decide on doing this, try changing the word 'and' in the third line to the word 'so'. It might help make the point.)

Third Stanza

Maybe that's why my eyes are wet,
As I lay in my bed.
From my wrists blood dripped,
And from my eyes tears flowed.

Aaaaaand here comes the cliché that every keeps talking about. I don't think it's over the top that this has happened - manic depressives can be triggered by the tiniest of things - but it becomes cliché the way you've written it. You're guilty of the "flat writing" crime - that is, writing out what is happening... period.

Classic example of flat writing: I got in from going shopping, put my bag on the banister and sat down by my desk. I turned on my laptop and plugged it into the wall. I waited for the system to boot up before typing in my password.

Bored? Yeah. That's basically what you've done. Blood drips from a cut, and tears flow down a crying face; both scientific facts. How can you describe these things more artistically, more creatively?

Here are a few examples to start you off: blood seeped, cried, spurted, gushed, trickled and tears streamed, meandered, fell, slid. Try keeping a thesaurus to hand and looking up words that get used frequently in stories - this little change can separate you from the amateurs.

Two more quick fire points - firstly, the tenses are mixed up: the stanza needs to be either fully in the past, or fully in the present. You cannot be crying right now, but have killed yourself a few days before. Only the elite can pull that off, and believe me, sometimes even THEY screw it up.

Lastly - and this is a personal point - I think the poem will be more thrilling to read if you bring the slit wrists in straight away, rather than in the third line. In my opinion, they lose their meaning there, and would pack more of a punch straight after your (rather philosophical) intro.

Fourth Stanza

I thought about my love,
I thought about my life.

...nah. Take it out. xD This poem would read exactly the same without it.

Fifth & Sixth Stanza

I thought they would last forever.
But alas I was wrong,
My life is like a very sad song.

It was our very first kiss.

Oh my stars, CRINGE! *laughs and hugs you* You tried so, so hard with the fifth stanza, I can tell... but it shows through so badly that I can't help but smile when I read this. It's so cute! :D Anyways. Enough being weird. The rhyme scheme here... is perfect. That's what's bad about it. It feels as though you've literally gone through a list of rhyming words, picked the one that sounds "prettiest", and attempted to make it fit somehow. Am I right? *pokes*

Thinking about it, I'm about to say exactly the same thing about the next stanza. So here's my advice for BOTH of them - combine the two, and completely scrap the rhyme scheme. Trust me. And I'll prove to you that you're starting to sound better without it, too. ;)

This line here, when you say 'I remembered the first time my lips touched your cheeks \ It was our very first kiss'... you sound tentative, like you're not sure where your boundaries are... but you've got some emotion across! *applauds you again* We feel the boy's nervousness about kissing this person, and the way you've isolated 'It was our very first kiss' helps us to understand how special this specific memory is.

Oh, and v. quickly - the last two lines of stanza six. Uhm... I'm not sure. I don't think they work very well, especially considering how well you did the first two. Perhaps elaborate on the memory of the first kiss - describe the feelings, give us some imagery, perhaps help us to see the boy/girl that is on the receiving end of 'your lips'.

(And as a tip - never use 'haunt me like a nightmare' in poetry. You'll thank me for this later. ;) )

Seventh Stanza

But you said we werent meant together,
Then you left me forever.

This line has potential, I can feel it literally shining through the ink. Or rather, pixels. Whatever. :D But because you tried to shorten it, and were perhaps a little scared off by fitting what you needed into two lines, it's all gotten lost in this "flat writing" thing. Four lines here would be a pretty good idea, actually.

But you left, said we were doomed.
Weren't made to be together.
You left; you took my light with you.
Eclipsed my life forever.

I tried to make links with your 'love is light' thing. Hope this can help you with this tricky stanza. ^_^

Eighth Stanza

I said I was strong,
I was shattered a,
and parts of me were scattered.

Uhm. OK - first off... the last two lines don't make any sense because I'm not sure they're completed. *smiles* But at least we know that you definately did do some editing ;)

Secondly, the first couplet is so forced and cheesy that it makes me want to cuddle you again. xD I want you to vow to me that you will stop conforming and let your creative juices flow! Next time you write a poem, I want to see it totally free verse. OK? ^_^

Seriously though. First two lines are really, really cringe-worthy. No. *crosses them out neatly with her pink, glass-nibbed pen*

Ninth Stanza

Then from heavens descended a light,
It was truly a beautiful sight.
And at last I rest in peace.

.... you know what I'm gonna say, right? *grins* And if you do, then good, you're catching on and I don't need to critique this stanza. :D But if you haven't sussed it yet, here's a clue.

Rhyming.
Words.
*smiles*

Also, I'm kinda upset that this person died happily. This is supposed to be a morbid poem, ain't it? I want blood and sweat and tears, not random throngs of angels coming down to make it all better! *laughs*

HOWEVER!
Don't feel put off, ashamed or embarassed by this critique. See it as a GOOD thing! I only critique work that is either brilliant, or has brilliant potential - and as I said before, I'm really looking forward to seeing how you grow as a writer.
Some of the ideas in here are pretty decent, and there are some lines which, with a little pruning, can be incredible.
Pruning is a painful process... but you'll thank us here once the process is over. That's a promise. ^_^

Feel free to PM me if you want me to look at any more of your work, OK? And if you don't want a critique as long and detailed as this, just say. This particular one has taken me... hmm. About an hour and a half, being the perfectionist I am?

And now it's going to take another half hour to proof-read before I post it. *sigh* Better begin, then...

EDIT: It only took me fifteen minutes to edit! It's a RECORD, baby! *punches the air*

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Oooooh! This is better than your last. I love your new stanzas! Oh, and I'm not emo and i love your poem!

I love your last three stanzas. Those are my favorite. :D

I think I saw a few minor errors, but you could probably just proofread it and find them. Thank you so much for telling me you edited this. I haven't read a really good poem in a while. :D

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 am
spike71294 says...

hi guys never had so many replies for a poem.
thnx guys
and i cant decide
if u all like it or not
cause some of them say my poems fantastic
and others say its crap.
i think non-emo people dont like such poems.
watever thnk ya for ur replies
gud or bad dnt care.
and for da last time
thnxxxxxxxxxxx

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:14 pm
studious samus wrote a review...

wow. that was an amazing poem. it was extremly deep though... i hope thats not how you are feeling. i love the "And without love,there is no life." because that is so true! and serously for a 14 year old... nice. I can't wait to see some of your other works =D

Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:12 am
Someguy wrote a review...

Okay. Everyone pretty much said what is wrong and what is right so it's a bit pointless for me to critique.

What is love?
What is life?
Life is sun,
And love it's light.

True love is heaven,
And in it lovers reside.
And without love,
there is no life.

The first stanza is a bit cliche while the second stanza is better,though it can still use work.
Why? Just like Galerius said, the first stanza is like a kindergartner's book picture. The second one just overdoes it. I understand that you want to explain it, but the beginning wasn't really good and therefore stanza 2 isn't good.

Then a heavenly feeling filled my heart,
A feeling of ease.
And at last I attained freedom,
At last I was at peace.

Nice ending. I just feel the first 2 lines and the last 2 lines don't have anything to do with each other.

All in all it's not really a good poem. You can still improve it though.
:wink:

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:00 am
sportfreak13 wrote a review...

It was depressing, sad, but super! How did you come up with that. you gotta tell me how to write like that. I love writing a reading poems. But your 14? that's amazing! The " Love is light" is awsome, that's a really cool ( in a poetic way) poem. Its deep and expressing, i like it a lot

keep writing

Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:29 am
mnesomeye wrote a review...

Eh. Wow. There are some mixed emotions going on in this forum. *scratches head* I can see where they're coming from... but you're only a novice! Aww.

Well... I thought it was good. *shrugs* I thought the rhymes weren't as forced as a lot of the poems I've seen, and I thought it conveyed sadness. Maybe didn't convey depression, or anguish, or whatever, but it got *some sort* of a emotion across.

I think... I think it's sweet. I think it's a pretty decent poem, although yes, the last stanza is a little cheesy *laughs* no, it's not Oscar winning, but please name me one director who won an Oscar with his first movie? ^_^ That's what I thought.

Keep at it, and write, even if you feel discouraged by the comments. There was one really harsh one, but I can see where he's coming from - he's only trying to help. There are a lot of poems about suicide on this site, and many of them read very similarly to your own. He's trying to help you to become more creative with your words, ideas and rhymes. Read more of people's poetry, and then read their reviews. Reading what other people think of poems that you think are incredible can really affect - in a positive way - how you write, and how you sculpt your words to get the message across.

I don't want to critique this too much because you're a novice, and suddenly coming down on you like an anvil doesn't seem right to me. ^^;; However, at least take on board some of the comments, and whatever you do, don't let it get you down. The only thing you can do is get better. *hugs*

Bye-de-bye!

Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:39 pm
CastlesInTheSky wrote a review...

Hey there, Spike!

There's good emotions here - but it's all a bit overdone. Make it original, make it your own.

:arrow: Use concrete imagery and vivid descriptions.

Love, hate, happiness: these are all abstract concepts. Many, maybe all, poems are, deep down, about emotions and other abstractions, but it's hard to build a strong poem using only abstractions - it's just not interesting. The key, then, is to replace or enhance abstractions with concrete images, things that you can appreciate with your senses: a rose, a shark, or a crackling fire, for example. The concept of the objective correlative may be useful. An objective correlative is an object, several objects, or a series of events (all concrete things) that evoke the emotion or idea of the poem.

Really powerful poetry not only uses concrete images; it also describes them vividly. Show your readers and listeners what you're talking about--help them to experience the imagery of the poem. Put in some "sensory" handles. These are words that describe the things that you hear, see, taste, touch, and smell, so that the reader can identify with their own experience. Give some examples rather than purely mental/intellectual descriptions. For example: "He made a loud sound" versus "He made a loud sound like a hippo eating 100 stale pecan pies with metal teeth".

Hope this helps.

Sarah
xxx

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:09 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Hey Spike! :D

I've been doing video critiques a lot lately, especially for poetry because it's a really cool way to see how your poem sounds to the other person. Or people, considering that my sister, the lovely Sgt Salt, is helping me critique. Anyway, basically we read your poem and we commented on it. And... um... my sister and I are kind of crazy together, so if we laugh hysterically, it's because we like being around each other, not because of your poem. :)

http://revver.com/video/1348226/affilia ... f-suicide/

Anyway, hope this helps! If you can't see the video or you don't understand us or anything, just shoot me a PM and I'll explain. :D

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:31 am
kris wrote a review...

Ok, sweetness. The poem's opening stanza is pretty weak. It doesn't grab you, or even make much sense:
Well that's not exactly true,
but maybe it is.
Cats are fury.
True.

See... It's a bit "qoui" if you get my drift. I see where you're trying to go, I often try it myself and come out with the same problem. What you have to think about is, how you can convey your meaning to the reader; just because you understand it, doesn't mean that everybody else will... Trust me it's a very easy trap to fall into.

Another little gripe is the unusual rhyming structure - when you're writing a bit of an avent garde poem, it might be advisable to keep some typical conventions... Just so that the majority of your readers don't get put off.

Please don't take what I have written as disparagement - it isn't meant to be at all. I often have the exact same problems.
If you want to talk about it a little more in depth, PM me.

Love
Kris
x

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:34 am
Galerius wrote a review...

Read on only if you appreciate truly honest reflection. First of all, since you are only fourteen, the problems in this piece aren't permanent to any extent and you have an almost-infinite amount of time to better your skills as a poet, so don't interpret my comments as anything but a suggestion for extreme revision.

This is a bad poem. Utterly void of any idea I haven't already heard from a token emo and strung together by a laundry list of cliches, namely sunlight being love, death being tranquility, and the ever-popular method of cutting yourself when your two-day boyfriend decides that there's a new hot girl in town. This was, in essence, typical teenage nonsense that's going nowhere and has little to offer the reader in the way of meaning or even entertainment, because of the hazy ideal the thoughts are formatted in and the disdainful, choppy, and confusing style it was written in.

spike71294 wrote:What is love?
What is life?
Life is sun,
And love it's light.

This reads like a kindergartner's picture book. Life = Sun. Love = Sunlight. Is that really all you had to offer with this stanza? It's uninteresting (mostly because of the way you wrote it - like a series of bullet points) and above all else, simplistic. You don't need to hit us in the face with your definitions as soon as the poem begins, and certainly not so blatantly.

True love is heaven,
And in it lovers reside.
And without love,
there is no life.

Love = Happy. That's it, apparently; that's literally all I could find. So far, the poem is severely lacking in content, for you could have condensed these overindulgent stanzas into one line and be done with it.

Maybe that's why my eyes are wet,
As I lay in my bed.
From my wrists blood dripped,
And from my eyes tears flowed.

Should I care about the fact that your eyes are wet and you're lying in bed? Why? These two lines seem to me to be spun out of a desire to put some content and "setting" into an otherwise bare theme: "I'm so sad because my lover left me". I really can't see how this stanza helps the flow of the poetry at all, except to tell the audience that you're cutting. Which, by the way, is one of the most cliched, trite ways of killing yourself that one could possibly think of. You might as well have lifted this off the pages of any emo book ever written and it would be the same.

I thought about my love,
I thought about my life.

I lay there rejected,
Absolutely unaffected.

Or so I thought.

I said I was strong.

First quoted stanza is weak and more of a description than anything; this did not need and does not deserve to be in a poem. Second stanza is again, simplistic, and the rhyme scheme that suddenly appeared out of the blue worsens this exponentially. Third and fourth stanzas are weak as well in their attempts to...what exactly is the point? Are you trying to surprise the reader? Clearly not, because we are supposed to know how you feel based on the title and the whole cutting thing above. So the "I said I was strong" stanza has no meaning to it and can easily be cut out without hurting the poem.

I was shattered,
And pieces of my heart were scattered.

Unless you have a good, poetic, and deep reason to say that your heart was scattered and shattered, that term is overused to the point where it should never be used again unless you can strongly justify it. Personally, I believe that you just threw that in there because it sounded "sad" and "romantic". Feel free to prove me wrong.

I stared into the mirror,
My face was serene.
I wondered how much,
This world could be mean.

Your face wasn't serene, your face was streaked with tears. How one can possibly cry and still maintain a neutral face is beyond me - you might want to look at your descriptions again, because they are contradicting each other grievously. The last line has extremely poor word choice and reminds me of something a 1st grader might say on the playground. Really, can't you think of something better to put there than "mean"? Or are you trying to remain true to the bad rhyme scheme you have throughout the poem?

A feeling of ease.
And at last I attained freedom,
At last I was at peace.

"I died and was happy". That, in two words, summed up the cumbersome and amateur-idealistic last stanza, which is not good at all because if the first stanza was weak, I would have expected the last stanza to make up for it. A good rule of thumb for poetry is to make either your first or last stanzas strong and poignant so that the reader can go into the poem feeling good or come out of it feeling good. You've done neither.

In general, the word choice needs to be worked on, the ideas need to be hammered out (right now they're just jumbled vapors put inside a container and shook up until an emo pops out) and the rhyme scheme is, honestly, terrible. In some places, you do ABAB, then you have no rhyme, then you do AABB...be consistent or don't have a rhyme scheme at all.

I can't truthfully recommend that you continue to work on this poem. Start from scratch; you can use the basic idea but put some additional inner/outer conflict and perhaps a journey into how you became suicidal in the first place. Be sure to use vocabulary that is 7th-grade-or-higher and for optimum poetic value, don't use rhyme, make it free verse.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:24 pm
*writewatiwant* wrote a review...

WOW O.O very deep... Love it! :D How depressing it is... I completely understand you! :D
I didn't find any grammar mistakes.
Some people might say that as you changed the rhyme scheme it would normally don't sound good, but this one worked out! Loved the flow.
:D Good work! Keep writing!

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:21 pm
Thriving Fire wrote a review...

Hmm, it's not a bad poem by any means, its actually quite good, but one or two things are irking me.

Firstly, you veer dangerously close to cliche in your choice of images. The whole blood dripping from your wrist thing could have been pulled from just about any emo piece on the internet. I know you didn't mean it that way, and this isn't nearly as bad as most emo poetry, but still- it's just on the wrong side of cliche. Try to be more original when writing about things like that.

The other thing is the rhyme you used. Here's the worst offender:

I said I was strong.

Not to be to harsh, but that on it's own reads like someone taking the mickey out of rap music. I just didn't feel like your use of rhyme was neccessary, and you'd be greatly freed if you abandoned it.

That said, I enjoyed a lot of things about this, particualrly the slightly conceptual stuff i.e the love and light. It's a nice idea, and you connect to the poem's story well. Good work.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:17 pm
SeleneForeverDream wrote a review...

Wow. That was deep. Very good, though. :D

I've read so many stories on this topic and you seemed to fit it all into one short poem. Good job!

I agree with Face Engine on the "And love it's light." It interrupts your flow, and I know you wan that there for meaning, but it might sound better if it's "And love is light." I know it goes against the message your trying to get across in that line, but flow is important in a poem. People who don't even know your meaning will at least know your flow. (Hey, that rhymes! :D) Otherwise, I didn't see anything. It's a great poem and I'll be looking for your next. :D

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:30 pm
Face Engine wrote a review...

Blimey. That's depressing! But then, the title was more than enough warning of that.

One tiny thing, where it says "And love it's light." I get the feeling you meant to say "love is light", but I could be wrong.

I just hope this isn't how you're actually feeling! A good poem, though-it's good to see something which is genuinely "dark", rather than the usual teenage "my heart's been broken, and I feel like I'll never get over it," kind of thing. Not that I have anything against the latter, it's just nice to see something different.

"She doesn't even go here!"
— Damian Leigh