Home » Literary works » Lyrics » Lyrical

bitter pill

by soundofmind

A/N: Please listen to the song as you read if you're able. Click here to listen. All the music and singing is done by me!

I learned to read between the lines
of the emotions that you hide
you said what you meant
and I thought that you might
be scared of it

I learned to take a bit of truth
spin it around into a fraction of you
I tried to understand - what could I do
when you said lies, for who?

and I wish
and I wish
could you take a bitter pill
and swallow it down for me
is it so hard to say
what you really think of me
they say the truth hurts
but I think it hurts more to hear
what you think I want to hear

I learned to live between the lies
secrets and masks that kept us blind
we always thought that we knew
what was wrong with us but
we found in time
‘normal’ doesn’t mean right

I’ve learned to uncode my broken ways
they always say the better ones realized that they strayed
and I want to mend things and be brave
but it must go both ways
would you meet me halfway?

and I wish
and I wish
could you take a bitter pill
and swallow it down for me
is it so hard to say
what you really think of me
they say the truth hurts
but I think it hurts more to hear
what you think I want to hear

so I’ve learned to take it as it is
cause I cannot force you to
want more out of this
so I love you where you’re at
even though it pains me to know
you don’t want that
kind of love

SadboyJay wrote a review...

Hello this is SadboyJay here with a review

First thing about this poem that you @soundofmind you did pretty good with this poem in my mind its sounds pretty good and i be thinking it would be a good song to listen to right now @soundofmind i got some parts I wish
and I wish
could you take a bitter pill
and swallow it down for me soundofmind this was the part that i really loved about it

Second soundofmind it would of been better if you had someone to help you like think of something like what you said about the bitter pill but find something that goes wit it soundofmind

Third soundofmind the reason why i said what i said about the poem cause the part when you said about the bitter pill soundofmind you need to find something that goes wit it that sounds good before bitter pill

4th @soundofmind you did pretty great job with the poem through keep up with the best work

have a nice day

Kelisot wrote a review...

Hello, this is Kelisot here, doing a review (because he needs points to publish more stuff and to support writers too!) I've also listened to the music and DAMN, you really have a beautiful voice. And you created the song by yourself. HOLY- I have no words. Creating a song by yourself... it's a dream, but I'm too young to learn all the music stuff... and I don't have the "perfect" hearing for chords and pitches so oof.

So generally, first stanza here.

I learned to read between the lines
of the emotions that you hide
you said what you meant
and I thought that you might
be scared of it

I'm not the perfect English Speaker as it is my second (or third?) language, but generally, what I'm understanding seems to be that the narrator seems to tell our "second" person that they understand them, and they did not tell it due to fear. I also love the rhymes of this song and throughout it generally, and it's making me inspired to write more to lmao.

I'll continue this review later since I'm quite busy with my own personal life too.

Broady771 says...

Hi soundofmind, Broady here. I guess this is more of a comment than a review but jeez that's some really cool stuff you have there! Keep it up! (I apologise, I'm not musically inclined or anything so I'm not really familiar with music stuff but it's really good in my opinion :D)

You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.
— Stephen King